PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first of you to apolgize to TD

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I am seeing the Duncan of old tonight in the paint against one of the top defensive teams in the league. Posters after posters have said he is finished. You know who you are. Step up please and say I am sorry Mr. Duncan, ye of little faith.

ChumpDumper
04-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Tim, I'm sorry you currently only have four more points than Jake Tsakalidis.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Yawn. Jake went crazy when TD on bench and sure Spurs are concentrating on other threats.

ChumpDumper
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Should Jake ever go crazy on the Spurs? And Jake did own Tim on a nice hook, so he's included.

I never had any problem with Tim in general this season.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Then i was not calling you out = fair enough!

exstatic
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Newsflash: if the Spurs don't win tonight, they lose the tie-breakers with Dallas. First is H2H, a tie. Second is division. Dallas is at 13-3 and is done. We are at 11-3 and need tonight and Houston to take that to a tie and get to the 3rd tiebreaker, conference, where we have an edge.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Well said, but what does that have to do with Duncan tonight - I believe Spurs will win and we are seeing TD making a huge effort to make that happen.

He plays like this I will take my chances on Spurs regardless of seed.

MannyIsGod
04-09-2006, 08:23 PM
To be fair, Jake is having an awesome year. Duncan flat out brought it tonight. Don't give me shit about what Jake did.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
23 and 12 and 4 assists and 3 blocks - against one of the best defensive teams in the league, if he hit a few more FTs = fabulous game, as it was enough to get a gritty win.

Nice game again, Mr. Duncan and this win was without Manu down the stretch = got to be a confidence builder.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-09-2006, 08:27 PM
You think Memphis fans are starting trade Gasol threads?! :)
5-19, 8 TO :wow

T Park
04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Those were tough hook shots by Jake, in retrospect.

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Just throw 7 footers at Duncan and it usually succeeds. No suprise Warrick wasn't effective against Duncan.

sanman53
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
You think Memphis fans are starting trade Gasol threads?! :)

lol, :lol

tim_duncan_fan
04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I am sorry Mr. Duncan.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 08:39 PM
A good fan, albeit with a strange moniker (?) under Tim_Duncan_fan steps with a real apology - the other 1000s of you, I am waiting!

spurs=bling
04-09-2006, 08:42 PM
not me, because i never give up on Timmy :spin

and i've NEVER given up on the Spurs

Spurologist
04-09-2006, 08:42 PM
At one point I called you K Brown's bitch and i'm sorry Mr. Duncan.

Even though the Mavs game was a loss, I'm glad it happened. It has awakened a sleeping giant. It's time Timmay starts punishing people WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE (plagerized words were used from Kevin Harlan in the making of this post)

T Park
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I aint apologizin.

Cause I have stuck by the man thats won us 3 titles.

Ingrates.

Leetonidas
04-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I wonder where Walton is...

1Parker1
04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
His FT shooting needs work. :angel

:lol

T Park
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I wonder where Walton is

Spurs didn't lose.

You won't see him till the next loss.

Haven't caught onto the pattern?!??

Bruno
04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
I am seeing the Duncan of old tonight in the paint against one of the top defensive teams in the league. Posters after posters have said he is finished. You know who you are. Step up please and say I am sorry Mr. Duncan, ye of little faith.

:td
First, you aren't the only one who believes in Duncan : a majority of posters haven't gave up on him : this thread is useless.
Second, when I read the kind of post you have written about France, you are the one who need to apologize for what he writes on this board.

HB22inSA
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
One game. Wow. :rolleyes

Not impressed.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I believe in Tim.

...Do you?

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Glad you are a Duncan loyalist.

I will not apologize for what I wrote about some of the French for the disrespect they continually give over and over again to a country I served after we saved their $%* in two world wars. The rest was in jest and for that I will offer a partial apology.

zocool16
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
this is a good thread, i never give up on tim duncan cuz he's something beyond just my favorite player in basketball. some people do lash out at him and its understandable cuz he's been struggling. i just hope that Timmy's struggles are done. :-)

T Park
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I read the kind of post you have written about France

But the things you frogs say about Americans is "ok"

Get lost.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Just because Tim has a couple bad games doesn't mean you give up on him. You can shake your head at times, but don't think he's finished. He's one of the few players that will be hard on himself and come back FOR THE TEAM the next game. NOT FOR HIMSELF like other players in the League.

Shame on you doubters.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I gave my partial* and heart-felt apology above after in jest dishing France a little too hard awhile back - lets move on and perhaps one day I will return to the Lorraine Province (my favorite) and shop at a Coras dept store, eat some fine cheese, and drink their very good wine - not any time soon but someday after I complete my visits to the 5 Euro countries and East Bloc countries I have never been so far.

Meanwhile love their basketball players - Parker, Diaw, and Turiaff among others and predict they will win an Olympic medal someday.

Bon jour Bruno.

Bruno
04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Next time, if you think "some" use the word "some" instead to generalize to a whole country.
I don't care when people tease about french people, it's often funny but there are subject with which you need to be accurate : war and death aren't the same thing than being dirty or eating frogs.

Case closed.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I did not say either of those things by the way! Rest again was in jest.

I personally found the French to be a very clean and tidy people overall on my seven visits to your country and outside of Paris and its suburbs, most were even friendly. Was also on very good terms with a number of their senior military officers who were doctors and a French doctor is married to a German cousin of mine = they fight like cats and dogs but have stayed together 20+ years and live in Saarbruken of Germany and have a beach house somewhere in France.

Bruno
04-09-2006, 09:23 PM
But the things you frogs say about Americans is "ok"

Get lost.

I hate french people who hate americans.
I hate american people who says that France hate America.
Some people aren't a country.

For Rummpd :
I don't care if you say that french people are dirty or stupid.
but when you say

The truth for this country that disses the USA all the time after we saved their #$% in two wars at the costs of millions of lives
I can't stand that. Some french do that (there are dumb people everywhere) but you can't generalized to a country. A lot of french have sufered a lot from these events and will be thankful forever towards the USA.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Lets get back to Duncan I gave my heart-felt aplogy = we are all Spurs fans!

T Park
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I hate french people who hate americans.

you hate a huge majority of the French than dont you.

kris
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm not apologizing. Tim hasn't played great for years. If he ever returns to his second year or even rookie year form, I'll build him a shrine.

1 game won't do it. 2 games won't do it and neither will 20. I want 65 dominant games a season and a '99 esque playoff run.

He hasn't been the real Tim Duncan to me for years. Maybe a lot of you bandwagon fans don't remember how great his footwork and balance of finesse and power were but I do, and he's nowhere near what he used to be. Yeah, I believe he's injured, but his post game went downhill way before he was injured.

Rummpd
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
your expectations are unreal, no superstar ever in the history of sports has ever lead a team to a better winning record (article early in year by S. Smith Chicago Tribune) over a 5 year span since entering the league. Duncan has been badly hobbled the last 90 or so games of career and still has a title and a darn good chance for another one!

TD may never be as dominant at he was 6 years ago but 90% with an improving Parker and a healhty Manu will be more than enough.

If he gives the same effort through the playoffs, you have to give him his props.

T Park
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Kris wants the impossible.

TDfan2007
04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not apologizing. Tim hasn't played great for years. If he ever returns to his second year or even rookie year form, I'll build him a shrine.

1 game won't do it. 2 games won't do it and neither will 20. I want 65 dominant games a season and a '99 esque playoff run.

He hasn't been the real Tim Duncan to me for years. Maybe a lot of you bandwagon fans don't remember how great his footwork and balance of finesse and power were but I do, and he's nowhere near what he used to be. Yeah, I believe he's injured, but his post game went downhill way before he was injured.

Years?! Did you watch the playoffs last year? Tim averaged 24 points and 12 boards. What more do you want from him? I admit that I've been pretty harsh on him this year, but I've never come close to "jumping ship" or giving up on him.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Tim has been hampered by injury for the last 2 years and still goes out there to play. Not TO MENTION the ADDITION OF 2 - ALL STAR CALIBER PLAYERS. You're just a nostalgic dullard if you expect him to be stuck in a time loop of 1999-2002. It's not likely to happen. Maybe for one game, but haven't you noticed the highest scorer of the night rarely cracks 30!? The team is at its densist in years as far as bench and starters go for offense. Beyond the stats Tim has WON games for us. I'll take the heart of the Tim that won us the FINALS down the stretch in game 7 over a Tim who'll get 35 and 10 and a 2nd round exit cuz he did it all by himself. 23 and 12 along with the Team WIN is a much more significant stat to a true Team.

boutons_
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I did not recognize Jake, who from what I've heard has been a no-show laugher of a since being in the NBA.
Wow, some gutsy rebounding, some nice low post shots, seems like a keeper to me.

Tim looked great, bu the Spurs looked a lot less great.

After squandering a comfortable 3-L lead over the Mavs, the Spurs couldn't get a convincing win vs Grizz @ATT. Thankful, but not impressed.

T Park
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
but not impressed.

Boy

theres a shocker....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I did not recognize Jake, who from what I've heard has been a no-show laugher of a since being in the NBA.
Wow, some gutsy rebounding, some nice low post shots, seems like a keeper to me.

Tim looked great, bu the Spurs looked a lot less great.

After squandering a comfortable 3-L lead over the Mavs, the Spurs couldn't get a convincing win vs Grizz @ATT. Thankful, but not impressed.
Spurs had to adjust without Manu's impact. They managed. Manu changes the game a lot for them. Tim really answered by shouldering the load today. I'm sure pop will drill em' for the mistakes but, a Win's a win.

yeahone
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
never doubted timmy

Summers
04-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Tim hasn't played great for years. If he ever returns to his second year or even rookie year form, I'll build him a shrine.

Here's a newsflash: He'll never be 23 again. As his agility and athleticism declines, his game IQ increases, and that has obviously not hurt the Spurs.

Along those lines, the naysayers should watch the first couple minutes of this and listen to how he answers the first question. Old interview, but relevant.

John Thompson interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxjncy2I4Q&search=tim%20duncan%20thompson)

zocool16
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM

you're crazy, if anything he has only got better. what happens is that you don't see those highlight plays anymore where he would dunk off a lob, follow up on dunks and those things. i think he just has focused on other things, he is now the center of attention of the world champions so he can't worry about just offense and those highlight plays. Certainly this year isn't the best case to defend my post though...

phyzik
04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
1. People need to stop bitching about Tim....

2. Popavich better ground his ass, put him in time out, lock him in a padded room... SOMETHING.... for the whole entire offseason.... restrict him from ANYTHING that could even remotely hinder his rehab (like walking and running :lol )

Hell, I bet he would be happy if you bought him every single video game and just locked him in a room by himself with internet access :drunk

themvp
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Bravo Tim.

spurs=bling
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
1. People need to stop bitching about Tim....

2. Popavich better ground his ass, put him in time out, lock him in a padded room... SOMETHING.... for the whole entire offseason.... restrict him from ANYTHING that could even remotely hinder his rehab (like walking and running :lol )

Hell, I bet he would be happy if you bought him every single video game and just locked him in a room by himself with internet access :drunk

what about his family?

phyzik
04-09-2006, 11:16 PM
what about his family?

bah, thats what the Womans for!! (JUST KIDDING!!! :angel )

BTW, that new Alig G commercial with Steve Kerr is pretty F'n funny!

Steve Kerr: We have 40 games in 40 nights

Ali g: sor'a like that boat thang wif da animals and stuff...

Steve Kerr: ..... Noah..

Ali G: Of course I dont know ha, she's like a 'undred years old!

:lol

charmie21
04-09-2006, 11:27 PM
well.. i'm glad.. Timmy sure showed the people who are doubting him..! GO TIMMY GO..!

kris
04-10-2006, 01:25 AM
your expectations are unreal, no superstar ever in the history of sports has ever lead a team to a better winning record (article early in year by S. Smith Chicago Tribune) over a 5 year span since entering the league. Duncan has been badly hobbled the last 90 or so games of career and still has a title and a darn good chance for another one!

TD may never be as dominant at he was 6 years ago but 90% with an improving Parker and a healhty Manu will be more than enough.

If he gives the same effort through the playoffs, you have to give him his props.

I never said that was my expectation of Duncan, but what it would take for me to "apologize" to him. However, I do expect more from him than what he has shown this season. He has completely ditched his assorted post moves that made him so special.

I also didn't say the Spurs didn't have enough talent - although I highly doubt they take the crown this year, but they are still an elite team.

kris
04-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Kris wants the impossible.

The impossible that happened 3 years ago when the Spurs beat that Lakers ass. Hmmm sounds possible since it happened when Duncan did it supposedly working up to his prime that was to be now.

T Park
04-10-2006, 01:28 AM
That was a healthy Duncan.

Dudes got 1 foot.

It would be nice, but he cant physically do it.

You want the impossible.

If his foot was 100%, then yeah, I would expect him to do that.

kris
04-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Years?! Did you watch the playoffs last year? Tim averaged 24 points and 12 boards. What more do you want from him? I admit that I've been pretty harsh on him this year, but I've never come close to "jumping ship" or giving up on him.

That's what a lot of people don't understand. I'm not really so much with his statistics as I am with how he plays the game. As you can tell, Duncan can put up 19 and 10 in his sleep, but I'd like to see him take over games, not meagerly make his way to those numbers.

Even when Duncan scored in the high 30's against Denver in last years playoffs I wasn't really all that impressed. He wasn't scoring nearly as easy or as efficient. It's a trend that started when the Lakers swept the Spurs in '01 I believe. Duncan wouldn't really go up fearlessly against Shaq and instead started resorting drawing weak fouls and resorting almost soley to banks without the angle or space or his scared version to his right hand hook.

He snapped out of it, but not against the Lakers until '03. Now he plays that way all the time albeit with injury now, but like I said last season he wasn't playing so hot either.

kris
04-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Here's a newsflash: He'll never be 23 again. As his agility and athleticism declines, his game IQ increases, and that has obviously not hurt the Spurs.

Along those lines, the naysayers should watch the first couple minutes of this and listen to how he answers the first question. Old interview, but relevant.

John Thompson interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxjncy2I4Q&search=tim%20duncan%20thompson)

Here's a newsflash, Duncan should be in his prime right now. You're saying this like he's 36. Maybe his athleticism has gone down a touch from old age - I don't know - but sheer athleticism was never what made him so great.

kris
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
you're crazy, if anything he has only got better. what happens is that you don't see those highlight plays anymore where he would dunk off a lob, follow up on dunks and those things. i think he just has focused on other things, he is now the center of attention of the world champions so he can't worry about just offense and those highlight plays. Certainly this year isn't the best case to defend my post though...

You're not crazy, you must be a bandwagon fan that came after the 2003 championship, because you obviously never watched Duncan.

Are you 16? If so, I doubt you're even old enough to really remember who Tim Duncan was.

Tim Duncan age 26 would dominate Tim Duncan age 29

kris
04-10-2006, 01:44 AM
That was a healthy Duncan.

Dudes got 1 foot.

It would be nice, but he cant physically do it.

You want the impossible.

If his foot was 100%, then yeah, I would expect him to do that.

Eric,

I will repeat this once more for you. He was. He was playing. He was playing bad. He was playing bad before. He was playing bad before he. He was playing bad before he got. He was playing bad before he got hurt.

ChumpDumper
04-10-2006, 02:23 AM
When was the PF diagnosed?

That post read like a Laurie Anderson song, kris.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2006, 02:29 AM
When was the PF diagnosed?

November?

kris
04-10-2006, 03:07 AM
To show you I was at this train station a long time ago, here is an article I wrote last year:

One Fan's Opinion: A Shadow of Duncan
LAST UPDATE: 5/16/2005 7:24:10 PM
Posted By: Kori Ellis

Gregg Popovich said nobody on the team came to play playoff basketball…except Tim Duncan. Duncan may have had a big game statistically, but he didn’t play inspired basketball either.

Duncan’s game of today is a far cry from how he used to play. Duncan’s past play was skillful, dominant, and assertive all in one. In Game 4, he was beat to a rebound by Luke Ridnour after lazily walking over to collect it. Throughout the series, he has passed up opportunities to take the ball strong to the hoop – resorting to floaters, finger rolls, and short jumpers instead. Weren’t you waiting for a huge dunk over Nick Collison after he up-faked Danny Fortson? Yeah, well those don’t happen anymore.

Going to Duncan one-on-one in the low post is no longer a gimme. It’s a belabored point. Sometimes, he just jab steps and pump fakes until he jacks up a shot. Sometimes he waits for the double team, so he can pass. Others, he drives to the paint and chunks up a one-handed eight footer. Most often he’s seeking to create contact instead of actually trying to make the basket.

Gone is the intricate footwork that left defenders befuddled and drew comparisons to Hakeem Olajuwon. When is the last time you saw him switch things up and go to his left hand? Where is the guy that used to posterize other centers and power forwards on a regular basis?

That player is dead. The new T.D. doesn’t do that sort of stuff anymore. He’s still worried about getting hurt again - so now, he doesn’t jump. I always knew he wasn’t the “athletic” type of power forward, but since when does Tim have the spring of Dikembe Mutombo? Rather than snaring reachable rebounds, he elects to try to tip them out of the opponents’ grasp to himself. Blocking shots isn’t really his forte anymore, either. Instead of meeting driving opponents at the summit, Tim usually concedes baskets that close now.

His precision footwork in the low block has morphed into ramming defenders within seven feet of the basket and tossing up his right handed shot. Through four games against Seattle, Duncan has failed to prove he can dominate any of their big men over the course of a game. He’s shown he can draw fouls on them. He’s gotten a few angled bank shots on them, in addition to a few right handed hooks. But, he has not dominated anyone.

There is no variety in his game like there was in 2003 when he went head to head with Shaquille O’Neal. The dominance he showed in 1998 versus Karl Malone is also gone. The overall package displayed in the championship clinching game versus Kenyon Martin is missing several components.

I’m under the impression experience has made Tim Duncan worse. The craftiness with which he uses to draw fouls has turned into a liability. His agility and good hands have given him a false sense of confidence into underestimating the opposition. Injuries can scare him into playing different – even if he is no longer injured. Past playoff disasters refresh in his mind and are now making him wonder if this Seattle series will be like an old Lakers’ series.

Don’t fool yourself into thinking the Spurs hold Tim Duncan, the ace, in the 2005 playoffs. He can average 20 points through put backs, free throws, and a couple of bank shots, easily. The Spurs power forward is playing similar to his lackluster performances against the O’Neal anchored Lakers, where he could muster no efficient offense. Had Manu Ginobili not played the role of MVP against the Nuggets, the Spurs could have very conceivably found themselves in a dangerous game 7 duel.

As it stands now, the Spurs have enough to douse a feisty Sonics squad if they can regain their defensive focus and exact better contributions from the rest of the team. However, the road to the championship will require much more than that.

Tim Duncan needs to prepare differently than the other Spurs. Manu, Tony, Bruce, Nazr, etc. – they need to look in the mirror, and then at some game tape.

Tim needs to look at some photos and then at some game tape. But not tape of opponents, tape of himself. Vintage film of when he used to be better than good, of when he used to be great.

ChumpDumper
04-10-2006, 03:17 AM
So when did he injure his ankle that year?