PDA

View Full Version : IF I am correct...

v2000
04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
if the Spurs just loses ONE against the ENTIRE western conference, and the Mavs win out, the Mavs will win the division...

right now, the 4th tie-breaker is winning % against western conference playoff teams. currently, the Mavs are 15-8, and the Spurs are 17-8. The Spurs have no more games against western conference playoff teams, while the mavs have 3. If the Mavs win out, they would end 18-8, and the Spurs 17-8, thus having a better record there. And if the Spurs just lost ONE against the West, and the Mavs won out, their conference records will end up being tied, thus going on to the 4th tie-breaker, which the Mavericks would own.

anyways, it will be VERY interesting to see how the season finishes. this is going to be BY FAR the best race to the finish for these two teams.

Leetonidas
04-09-2006, 11:14 PM
The Spurs have the better record against the West. That's the third Tie Breaker.

v2000
04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
The Spurs have the better record against the West. That's the third Tie Breaker.
yea, but if they lose one to the west, and the Mavericks win out, they will tie for conference record as well, going on to the 4th tiebreaker, which i discussed here. crap, i just looked it up, and apparently yahoo had a mistake on the conference records... apparently im wrong... its 2 losses against the west. LOL

nevermind... hahaha

v2000
04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
sorry all, I mis-calculated... yahoo showed at first that the Spurs only had 37 wins against the west. it forgot to add in the victory tonight...

my apologies...

either way, it will be a hell of a finish for the season between these two teams...

GO MAVS!

SequSpur
04-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I bet the Spurs just can't wait to win more regular season games.

:rolleyes

slayermin
04-09-2006, 11:36 PM
So basically the Spurs have to win at least 3 out of the next 4 against the Sonics, Magic, Timberwolves, and Jazz. And win the reg. season finale against the Rockets and the top seed in the west is wrapped up regardless of what the Mavs do.

I think that is doable.

v2000
04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
So basically the Spurs have to win at least 3 out of the next 4 against the Sonics, Magic, Timberwolves, and Jazz. And win the reg. season finale against the Rockets and the top seed in the west is wrapped up regardless of what the Mavs do.

I think that is doable.
yea. if the spurs either lose two, or lose to the rockets, the Mavs can win the division.

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
The mavs when healthy don't care where they play. Both teams are good on the road.

exstatic
04-10-2006, 12:00 AM
To nail down the tiebreaker, Spurs must beat the Rockets. If they do, that pushes it to the third tiebreaker, which is conference record, and we are 2.5 games ahead there. An idea of how precarious the Spurs situation is: if they had lost tonight, their destiny would have been out of their hands, since the division would have been tied, and Dallas would have clinched the #2 tiebreaker, division record. Dallas is 13-3 and is done. SA is 12-3 and has only the Rox left, division-wise.

LilMissSPURfect
04-10-2006, 12:22 AM
if the Spurs just loses ONE against the ENTIRE western conference, and the Mavs win out, the Mavs will win the division...

right now, the 4th tie-breaker is winning % against western conference playoff teams. currently, the Mavs are 15-8, and the Spurs are 17-8. The Spurs have no more games against western conference playoff teams, while the mavs have 3. If the Mavs win out, they would end 18-8, and the Spurs 17-8, thus having a better record there. And if the Spurs just lost ONE against the West, and the Mavs won out, their conference records will end up being tied, thus going on to the 4th tie-breaker, which the Mavericks would own.

anyways, it will be VERY interesting to see how the season finishes. this is going to be BY FAR the best race to the finish for these two teams.

1 tiny winy incy contrasting point...spurs' finish is different than the mavs' :angel

MrChug
04-10-2006, 12:24 AM
The mavs when healthy don't care where they play. Both teams are good on the road.

:oops Ummm...we're talking about the regular season, so we'll let you slide. There's no crime when speaking with confidence about your team...unless you're a Mavericks fan and you're talking about the playoffs :lmao

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
The Mavs know that if they don't have HCA, they are all but guaranteed to be playing with themselves at home watching the Finals.

pache100
04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
The Mavs know that if they don't have HCA, they are all but guaranteed to be playing with themselves at home watching the Finals.

Mavs = http://i1.tinypic.com/v4nknp.gif

TDMVPDPOY
04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
just make sure the spurs lose at least one game in that run, i got 1500 vbookie on the line

island_dude
04-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Which is something I'm sure you're quite an authority on. :lol

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Most people are an authority on the Mavs sitting at home watching the Finals.

SAGambler
04-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Spurs can lose 1 (as long as it's not to Houston) and then it matters not what the Mavs do.

island_dude
04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Most people are an authority on the Mavs sitting at home watching the Finals.
Sorry, but I was referring to the "playing with themselves" comment.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but I was referring to the "playing with themselves" comment.
Yeah, I know. You weren't that proud of it, were you?

Felonius Monk
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
To nail down the tiebreaker, Spurs must beat the Rockets. If they do, that pushes it to the third tiebreaker, which is conference record, and we are 2.5 games ahead there. An idea of how precarious the Spurs situation is: if they had lost tonight, their destiny would have been out of their hands, since the division would have been tied, and Dallas would have clinched the #2 tiebreaker, division record. Dallas is 13-3 and is done. SA is 12-3 and has only the Rox left, division-wise.

According to CBS Sportsline, http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7164305

TWO-WAY TIES

a. Results of games against each other.

b. Better winning percentage within own conference.

c. Better winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).

d. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference.

e. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in opposite conference.

f. Better point differential between offense and defense.

On the other hand, I heard PJ on the radio talking about needing to beat Mem and Hous to avoid the divisional tie breaker and have the conference tie breaker apply. Anyone got the straight scoop?

Rummpd
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
The NBA had the wrong info up for months which is what CBS has - the division is the first tiebreaker.