PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mavs' fans regarding Dampier?

Solid D
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Does Erick Dampier get caught very often for offensive fouls?

The Spurs have Nazr, of course, although his are usually moving screens.

I noticed Erick Friday craftily holding and pulling the Spurs' help defenders on their baseline help. He actually stuck his leg out and tripped Manu one time. :lol

Manu and Bruce were both complaining about it trying to get sympathy with Steve and the other officials, but they wanted no whining. There were enough technical fouls being called on both sides, as it was.

This "help offense" goes on in various NBA games all the time...Nazr and Robert Horry have been known to grab a jersey. Rasheed Wallace does it all the time. Some get caught more than others.

Homer comments are accepted, non-homer comments are preferred.

Trainwreck2100
04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
He sucka, I'm not a Mavs fan mind you but I know for sure the DAMPIER SUCKS. They should stick with the guy with the weird name

v2000
04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Does Erick Dampier get caught very often for offensive fouls?

The Spurs have Nazr, of course, although his are usually moving screens.

I noticed Erick Friday craftily holding and pulling the Spurs' help defenders on their baseline help. He actually stuck his leg out and tripped Manu one time. :lol

Manu and Bruce were both complaining about it trying to get sympathy with Steve and the other officials, but they wanted no whining. There were enough technical fouls being called on both sides, as it was.

This "help offense" goes on in various NBA games all the time...Nazr and Robert Horry have been known to grab a jersey. Rasheed Wallace does it all the time. Some get caught more than others.

Homer comments are accepted, non-homer comments are preferred.

yea, he gets more offensive fouls than he does defensive fouls. he always seems to get a dumb offensive foul right when the mavs score, or he gets called for a 3 second violation. its very annoying. he has a lot of talent for a center, but has terrible hands, and has no brains. but one of the best things he has done this year is his passes. he has made a lot of very nice passes right after securing a rebound, that led to easy buckets and dunks.

i was honestly shocked with a few of the fouls he got away with, considering usually they call a lot of bullshit calls on him. he definitley got away with a few against SA, although I dont recall the trip at all. i do recall the push, which made Manu get upset and get a technical. that was definitley a foul.

when he doesnt get into foul trouble, he is very helpful, and plays very well, but that doesnt happen often. usually, whenever he gets a good 25-30 minutes of playing time, he will do some nice things for us.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 12:06 PM
He opens up a lot of shooters with this method. His rebounding and picks are the best parts of his game. He occasionally can play some man up defense with the right matchup.

Solid D
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks, for chiming in guys.

TDMVPDPOY
04-10-2006, 01:35 PM
erica dumpier is the 2nd best center for a reason

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Well Erick Dampier was shutting down Duncan so he definitely has helped this team. A lot of Dampier haters around here.

Willinsa
04-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Well Erick Dampier was shutting down Duncan so he definitely has helped this team. A lot of Dampier haters around here.

He shut down Duncan for 1 game, in his career how many title has Dampier won. I looked at his stats and he entered the league a year before Tim and has only played in 13 playoff games. Yeah that guy is awesome, dumbass.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Duncan hasn't gone off on Dampier all year. Dampier was on a crappy team for most his career. Put Duncan on Golden State and see how he does.

DDS4
04-10-2006, 02:00 PM

"shutting down".

Yeah. Keep relying on that.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
"shutting down".

Yeah. Keep relying on that.
What would you call it than? :rolleyes

v2000
04-10-2006, 02:07 PM
i wouldnt say he shut him down... he did defend him well, but not as well as Diop. Diop did an excellent job.

Solid D
04-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Timmy had trouble with both of Dallas' bigs the other night.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Actually, I'd call a game where Duncan is wide open and misses easy shots a bad shooting night. We'll see what you call it after an entire series where Dampier has to cover Duncan.

BigVee
04-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Duncan hasn't gone off on Dampier all year. Dampier was on a crappy team for most his career. Put Duncan on Golden State and see how he does.

They make the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
They make the playoffs.
And probably win the division.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah but no ring. Duncan needed Robinson, Ellie, Elliot, Ginobili, Bowen, and Parker to get his 3 rings. Anyways this isn't about who is better as it is that Dampier frustrates Duncan because of being stronger and just as long as Duncan.

leemajors
04-10-2006, 04:46 PM
so wait, players need teammates to win nba championships?

Willinsa
04-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah but no ring. Duncan needed Robinson, Ellie, Elliot, Ginobili, Bowen, and Parker to get his 3 rings. Anyways this isn't about who is better as it is that Dampier frustrates Duncan because of being stronger and just as long as Duncan.

So what's Dork's excuse for never winning a ring with all the talent he has had?

exstatic
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
So what's Dork's excuse for never winning a ring with all the talent he has had?

He needed Fin, VanX, Nash et al to help him LOSE. :lol

v2000
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah but no ring. Duncan needed Robinson, Ellie, Elliot, Ginobili, Bowen, and Parker to get his 3 rings.
actually, i'd say it was the other way around. none of those guys won any rings till Timmy came around (the spurs had already won one when Ginobili and Parker came). Tim Duncan is the face of the Spurs franchise, and by far the best player in the history of the Spurs franchise. One of the best players in history, period. Even right now, no matter what team he would go to, he would instantly change that team into a playoff team, and a possible title contender.

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Taking advantage of the handicapped. :lol

Pandaemonaeon
04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
He gets a lot of offensive fouls (usually for illegal screens and getting too physical when sealing inside) and the most annoying one - three-second violations. But all in all he's a pretty good center. The knock on him is his contract which isn't that bad considering that the $13-million part of his deal is unguaranteed.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 11:03 PM
The one thing both Dampier and Duncan do. Provide screens to open up players. You only notice the once or twice a game they call an offensive foul but there are a lot more open shots with Dampier's picks than Diop's. Duncan does the same. I think Dampier is underappreciated in Dallas for what he does though he can be inconsistent.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2006, 12:52 AM
You got that one backwards, pal. Those guys didn't win rings until Duncan showed up.

Since you won't let this "great defense" thing go, you can crow about Dampier's dominant 4 rebound, five foul, one block game all you want. I won't even remind you that Duncan had the flu (Brad Miller held Duncan to 3-9 shooting two nights before). Since you keep mentioning how great your team's defense was in making Duncan go 5-15 let's see if they do the same thing to him EVER AGAIN.

See ya in the second round.

dieman8686
04-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Actually, I'd call a game where Duncan is wide open and misses easy shots a bad shooting night. We'll see what you call it after an entire series where Dampier has to cover Duncan.
Don't know which Mavs vs. Spurs game you were watching...but Duncan barely even hadeasy or open shots that day. The same thing goes for Parker, they [Mavs] defended him pretty well too. What really pisses me off is that Duncan or Parker(can't remember) postgame quotes comes out and blames the game about (Duncan and Tony) having an off night and give no credit to the Mavs. Yeah an off night in which the defenders really pounded Tim and Tony all night( This is where Manu comes in and has a good game, since we took Tim and Tony more seriously), and they just come up and say they have an off night??? Well seems that "some'' spurs players are even giving excuses. :depressed Besides some of the Spurs bandwagoners in this fourm...

mavsfan1000
04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
If any team is ready for Duncan it is Dallas. They stacked themselves with defensive big man. Diop, Dampier, and Mbenga. They will all get their turns on Duncan.

pking
04-11-2006, 01:10 AM
duncan didn't play well against the mavs in any of the games this season but it'll be a different story in the post season.

mavsfan1000
04-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Why is that? Only if the refs allow him to be but the free throw line isn't his strength either.

ponky
04-11-2006, 01:21 AM
duncan didn't play well against the mavs in any of the games this season but it'll be a different story in the post season.

I'm just curious as to why you think this will be the case? The Spurs got their game together after the All-Star game last year and never looked back, can't say the same for this year where they have lost two in a row and barely managed to prevent a third loss on Sunday. I'm not saying the Spurs are going to fold but why do you think Duncan in particular will be back to spectacular ball playing? If anything, Parker needs to get his stuff together and play well for the Spurs to do well in the playoffs. I think it has more to do with Parker/Ginobili this year than Duncan.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Don't know which Mavs vs. Spurs game you were watching...but Duncan barely even hadeasy or open shots that day. The same thing goes for Parker, they [Mavs] defended him pretty well too. What really pisses me off is that Duncan or Parker(can't remember) postgame quotes comes out and blames the game about (Duncan and Tony) having an off night and give no credit to the Mavs. Yeah an off night in which the defenders really pounded Tim and Tony all night( This is where Manu comes in and has a good game, since we took Tim and Tony more seriously), and they just come up and say they have an off night??? Well seems that "some'' spurs players are even giving excuses. :depressed Besides some of the Spurs bandwagoners in this fourm...
Sorry to hurt your feelings, but I stand by my statement. What you call defense Duncan sees every game of his life, and it's usually better. He was missing shots he normally hits.

It doesn't really matter what I say. If your team makes it to the second round, one of us is going to be proven wrong. I'm perfectly willing to wait until then.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2006, 02:54 AM
I'm just curious as to why you think this will be the case? The Spurs got their game together after the All-Star game last year and never looked back, can't say the same for this year where they have lost two in a row and barely managed to prevent a third loss on Sunday. I'm not saying the Spurs are going to fold but why do you think Duncan in particular will be back to spectacular ball playing? If anything, Parker needs to get his stuff together and play well for the Spurs to do well in the playoffs. I think it has more to do with Parker/Ginobili this year than Duncan.
Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but with Duncan moving better lately, he had the flu the last week. Logic dictates that he will be moving even better and not be sick. In addition, given history, Duncan elevates his game in the playoffs.

Parker and Ginobili are great players, but the Spurs aren't going anywhere without Timmy.

Pandaemonaeon
04-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Getting back to Dampier: did anyone see that missed dunk he had? That's got to be the worst missed dunk ever. A teammate distracted two defenders leaving you completely wide-open to posterize them from behind, waited 2 seconds to collect your thoughts and proceed to throw down a tomahawk - the next thing you know the balls' on the halfcourt and the entire Staples crowd are laughing at you. Probably the best thing about the game next to Dirk's dagger :lol

Willinsa
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
If any team is ready for Duncan it is Dallas. They stacked themselves with defensive big man. Diop, Dampier, and Mbenga. They will all get their turns on Duncan.

Smack talk from a fan whose team has ZERO rings.

kskonn
04-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I still want to know why so many people resort to using the your team has no rings argument. That always pisses me off. It just seems really weak especially in response to a valid point.

CubanMustGo
04-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Prolly bc it was used against us for so many years prior to '99. And even after thanks to Philbert*.

ShoogarBear
04-11-2006, 01:46 PM

Damn, well, that cinches it. You've convinced me.

Dampier >> Duncan.

ShoogarBear
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Getting back to Dampier: did anyone see that missed dunk he had? That's got to be the worst missed dunk ever. A teammate distracted two defenders leaving you completely wide-open to posterize them from behind, waited 2 seconds to collect your thoughts and proceed to throw down a tomahawk - the next thing you know the balls' on the halfcourt and the entire Staples crowd are laughing at you. Probably the best thing about the game next to Dirk's dagger :lol

That was about the worst missed dunk I've ever seen.

LEONARD
04-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Dampier drives me crazy with 3 second calls...

Banzi Wells had 1 or 2 missed dunks in the game @ Dallas last week...I know he had 1 that was like Dampier's...and it seems like there was another that wasn't quite as bad...

mavsfan1000
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Dampier is a physical prescence in the lane. Teams are afraid to attack the rim when he is out there knowing they might get hurt. Diop is a shot bleaking freak and has very good footwork on defense. Duncan was not getting any easy shots against Dallas and I predict it would stay that way. Bowen had to outplay Dirk like in game 3 for San Antonio to make up for the disappearing act of Duncan.

leemajors
04-11-2006, 03:47 PM
duncan may as well retire, dallas has figured him out and shut him down. dampier/diop obviously > duncan... and that's not even bringing mbenga into the equation.

Pandaemonaeon
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Pavel could easily beat Duncan in a 1v1 contest. We all know Timmy has problems guarding 7'5" guys with a sweet shooting stroke because of his plant face gingivitis.

mavsfan1000
04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
duncan may as well retire, dallas has figured him out and shut him down. dampier/diop obviously > duncan... and that's not even bringing mbenga into the equation.
If Rasheed can shut down Duncan than Dampier/Diop can as well. The fact is Duncan isn't moving as well and Dampier/Diop are stronger and longer than Duncan. Duncan won't be able to take advantage of the speed difference because of his PF. It will have to be Parker and Ginobili to take most of the offense against Dallas.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2006, 10:22 PM
If Rasheed can shut down Duncan than Dampier/Diop can as well. The fact is Duncan isn't moving as well and Dampier/Diop are stronger and longer than Duncan. Duncan won't be able to take advantage of the speed difference because of his PF. It will have to be Parker and Ginobili to take most of the offense against Dallas.
How about that smothering Robert Swift defense shutting Duncan down tonight?

You are a moron.

mavsfan1000
04-11-2006, 11:52 PM
The sad thing is a lot of players can shut down Duncan now. Just put a 7 footer on him with some athleticism and Duncan has trouble.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
The sad thing is a lot of players can shut down Duncan now. Just put a 7 footer on him with some athleticism and Duncan has trouble.
Okay, you just keep on believing that. Just like, I suppose, you believe that Erick Dampier has some athleticism.

SenorSpur
04-12-2006, 02:43 PM

Good thing we wont see Stephen Hunter or Marcus Camby in the playoffs

mavsfan1000
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Unless Dampier guards Amare Stoudemire or Yao Ming he should be fine. Diop will be starting so more of the defensive pressure will be on him.

ambchang
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Did I just read that somebody is trying to compare Dampier and Diop to the Wallaces? This is really really incredible. How about comparing Jason Terry to Michael Jordan?

mavsfan1000
04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Did I just read that somebody is trying to compare Dampier and Diop to the Wallaces? This is really really incredible. How about comparing Jason Terry to Michael Jordan?
I used Rasheed Wallace as an example of the type of defender that bothers Duncan. Dampier is also 6'11 and long. Dampier is stronger but Rasheed is quicker.

ambchang
04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
I used Rasheed Wallace as an example of the type of defender that bothers Duncan. Dampier is also 6'11 and long. Dampier is stronger but Rasheed is quicker.

I am not sure if I understand the comparison. Other than both being 6'11 and "long" what similarities does the two have?
Because I can recall MANY 6'11" players who are "long" in the league, but only a scant few are known to defend Duncan well.

BigVee
04-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Hard to argue with that. I know I'd trade Duncan for those two in a heartbeat. But I'm sure the Mavs would say no deal.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I'd be interested in an example of Rasheed shutting down Duncan, and he's twice the defender that anyone on the Mavericks is.