PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about our confidence on the Spurs.

zocool16
04-10-2006, 09:19 PM
disclaimer: I'm aware that some of my posts come off as "call-outs" to people who claim to be spurs fans but diss the team when they have a bad game, believe that's not my intention with this thread; it is just a thought and i'd also like to know what you think.

actual thread:

I've been reading through the forum here and I've noticed that we give the Detroit Pistons a lot of respect, and well-deserved, I believe.

but...

I think some Spurs fans here are giving them a little too much respect. I know and understand that they may very well indeed be the best team in basketball, I'm also aware that they may very well take the crown away from us this year, HOWEVER I think that posters who support the Spurs in here should have a little more confidence in our guys and not over-respect the Pistons, I really haven't read many Pistons fans saying that the Spurs are going to beat them or that the Spurs have a big chance at repeating should they meet their Pistons in the finals.

Anyways my point is, and once again I'm not calling anyone out, that I think we're giving the Pistons way too much respect for being Spurs fans. I honestly believe that if we play them they're going to be a hell of a challenge for the Spurs, but as a Spurs fan I really think we're going to beat them if we play them (I know, it might be just my heart talking, but hey that's what I honestly believe).

So what do you guys think? Don't you think we're over-praising the Pistons here a little bit (even though they might deserve it)? Are we not showing enough confidence on the Spurs? :fro

Well just a thought...GO SPURS GO!!!! We're gonna repeat...

greyforest
04-10-2006, 09:29 PM
well to be honest it is being realistic. spurs have a slew of hurt players...

i still expect them to take the western conference, but it's definitely up in the air for a pistons/spurs final.

anything can happen of course. both wallaces could catch the bubonic plague, etc. but if there was a spurs/pistons series right now, i wouldn't be surprised if the spurs got swept.

here's hoping that everyone is healed by the finals, and it goes down to a spectacular game-7 overtime win for spurs.

zocool16
04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=greyforest]. but if there was a spurs/pistons series right now, i wouldn't be surprised if the spurs got swept.
[QUOTE]

lol spoken like a true fan, yeah but it could be... i just forbid myself to think that way hehe

greyforest
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
lol spoken like a true fan, yeah but it could be... i just forbid myself to think that way hehe

being a fan doesnt mean you have to think your team will win every game ever...just means you like to see them win.

Dre_7
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
How many times will I have to tell you? If Mourning is back by playoff time, MIA is going to win the East!!!

zocool16
04-10-2006, 09:46 PM
being a fan doesnt mean you have to think your team will win every game ever...just means you like to see them win.

that's in dispute. Being a fan has a different meaning to different people I'm sure.

rayray2k8
04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=greyforest]. but if there was a spurs/pistons series right now, i wouldn't be surprised if the spurs got swept.
[QUOTE]

Thats really a bad thing, since the playoffs are REAL close.
:oops

Vinnie_Johnson
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
How many times will I have to tell you? If Mourning is back by playoff time, MIA is going to win the East!!!

Wanna bet???

greyforest
04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
that's in dispute. Being a fan has a different meaning to different people I'm sure.

agreed.

i have to say though, i prefer being pessimistic and being pleasently surprised over being an optimist and being let down.

inside though you gotta hope for the repeat :fro

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2006, 12:52 AM
agreed.

i have to say though, i prefer being pessimistic and being pleasently surprised over being an optimist and being let down.

inside though you gotta hope for the repeat :fro

welcome to my life story! :lol

T Park
04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
have to say though, i prefer being pessimistic and being pleasently surprised over being an optimist and being let down.

Thats a lousy way to live life.

So if you expect them to fail and they do, then your proven right and you still feel crappy.

Good luck with that "sunshine" attitude.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2006, 01:34 AM

So if you expect them to fail and they do, then your proven right and you still feel crappy.

if you ever get a chance to see the film "American Splendor" the main character, well thats us pessimistic folk. if we're proven right i wouldnt say we still feel crappy we just feel what we feel now as everything went according to "plan". If we win then we feel great (and feeling fgreat or a pessimistic person just means softer grumbling :spin )

phyzik
04-11-2006, 01:50 AM
My belief...

WHEN the Spurs make it to the Finals, I doubt they lose.... regardless of the team they are playing. No disrespect meant but once the Spurs are in the Finals they "feel" like a super team and just cant lose. WHEN the Spurs make the finals, they WILL win the championship.... book it.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2006, 01:52 AM
My belief...

WHEN the Spurs make it to the Finals, I doubt they lose.... regardless of the team they are playing. No disrespect meant but once the Spurs are in the Finals they "feel" like a super team and just cant lose. WHEN the Spurs make the finals, they WILL win the championship.... book it.

are you kidding me? they "feel like a better team" i bet you they walked away from game 7 thinking how the F did we win that one? and probably moreso after game 5! if anything, the problem with san antonio is that they feel SO much like a beter team they lose games b/c they underestimate their opponent.

phyzik
04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
are you kidding me? they "feel like a better team" i bet you they walked away from game 7 thinking how the F did we win that one? and probably moreso after game 5! if anything, the problem with san antonio is that they feel SO much like a beter team they lose games b/c they underestimate their opponent.

the glass is half empty...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2006, 01:56 AM
the glass is half empty...
:lol

this is true

phyzik
04-11-2006, 02:02 AM
:lol

this is true

Give me PROOF spurs lose in the finals....

fact is you cant... because they havnt.

Until then.... BELIEVE!! :elephant

"Half empty" people are one of the biggest problems for the world, they should all be sent to a third world country to see what "half empty" really is!! I bet your one of those people that say Immagrants are taking all our jobs because you dont take the initiative to get off your ass and do something about it. :drunk just egging you on of course. :fro

cs100
04-11-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't think it is a matter of respecting the Pistons too much as it is not respecting our own team. I respect the Pistons. They are one of the two best teams in the league. I think, however, as Spurs fans, we want perfection and if we don't get it, then we start having a "doomsday" attitude.

I admit that I have been frustrated at games, losses, perceived lack of effort from our Spurs team. But I also know, every year, that the Spurs focus and drive will increase 1000 fold once the "real season" starts. No, I am not saying we "flip a switch". I am saying that we focus more, rotate faster, fight for the ball, etc.

With all the perceived heartache we have had this year, our record is approaching the best it has ever been. To me, this means that we have more weapons that we are using to get these wins. It means we find ways to succeed. It means that we are that much closer to breaking that rock we've been pounding.

I prefer to see the glass half full. You don't get quite as thirsty when you know that you have plenty in the glass. :)

mikejones99
04-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Just look at their fucking rosters. San Antonio should win it all again.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Give me PROOF spurs lose in the finals....

fact is you cant... because they havnt.

Until then.... BELIEVE!! :elephant

"Half empty" people are one of the biggest problems for the world, they should all be sent to a third world country to see what "half empty" really is!! I bet your one of those people that say Immagrants are taking all our jobs because you dont take the initiative to get off your ass and do something about it. :drunk just egging you on of course. :fro

haha well considering i am not from north america and did live in the states for five years i myself was one of those immigrants begging for a job! :lol

greyforest
04-11-2006, 07:14 PM

??? you are confused.

if you expect the worst, you can't be let down. you can only be pleasently surprised. feeling crappy doesn't happen in either outcomes.

nkdlunch
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM

are u fuckin serious??? this is coming from the fan that gave up on their team mid-playoffs last year and cussed the players out and.... anyway it's fucking unbeleivable u're uttering those words.

CosmicCowboy
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

So...it's better to expect them to fail and promise not to post again if they don't...

T-Park....you are definitely an original piece of work...:lol

cheguevara
04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
TPARK u piece of shit. I do remember u gave up on your team after losing to sonics in the playoffs last year. U are the biggest hypocrite I've ever seen in my life.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I really wish Momma zocool would take away internet access...

I think some Spurs fans here are giving them a little too much respect.

What do you define as too much respect? How much respect is too much for the team that our Spurs will probably be playing every year for the rest of Duncan's prime for the NBA title? :rolleyes

aaronstampler
04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
If they innit to winnit, they should bust out the TD-Nazr-Roho front court. Sure, you lose some perimeter defense with Bruce out, but you gain length, size, rebounding, and a lot of offense. Best of all, in that lineup they'd have to put Prince on Horry, which would leave Rip on Manu where he'd have no prayer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2006, 09:03 PM
aaron,

Where the fuck do you have Horry at in that lineup? The two? Are you crazy?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Horry would be guarding Chauncey. I like it...

Darrin
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
As the defending Champions last season I had the same attitude last season that the Pistons were not going to win it. They screwed around too much, they played too many grind-it-out games needing overtime and they seemed to wait until the last possible second before they put a team away.

I'm bringing this up because it's not blind loyalty; I would be stunned if the Pistons lost the Championship this season, no matter if they meet the Spurs or not. They are motivated, they have homecourt, and the experience to make it happen. They've been down 3-1 and won a seven-game series. They have won elimination games in Orlando, Philadelphia, Indiana, New Jersey, Miami, and San Antonio. I think it's their year, and if they don't win, it will go down as the most disappointing season in Pistons history. You don't break all the Bad Boys records and end up just Conference Champions and expect the fans to pat you on the back.

All that being said, I have more respect for the Spurs than any other potential contender. I think the Spurs will give the Pistons the most trouble in the postseason if they were to meet.

aaronstampler
04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
aaron,

Where the fuck do you have Horry at in that lineup? The two? Are you crazy?

No... the three. That's why I called it a FRONT COURT....

Bruce would be out.

He'd be guarding Prince and vice versa.

J.T.
04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since I moved to SA when I was 8. So I will never stop having faith in them as long as they have potential. I do notice everyone dogs on the Spurs all season and then are surprised when we make a deep run or win the rings. Spurs have been underestimated for a long time. I think this season we have made a statement that even at below 100%, we are still the team to beat. The Pistons are a great club too, they've got great chemistry and some great role players like Chauncey and Rip. If both teams meet in the Finals I can't say who would win, but I'll side with the boys in black because I've been a Spurs fan my whole life, I'd root for them even if they were a lottery team. But seriously, if this roster was healthy and we had some vintage TD and some last season Manu, I think there would be no question who is the best team in the NBA. Where would we be without Parker...?

lil'mo
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
i think chauncey and rip are more than role players on that team

phyzik
04-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since I moved to SA when I was 8. So I will never stop having faith in them as long as they have potential. I do notice everyone dogs on the Spurs all season and then are surprised when we make a deep run or win the rings. Spurs have been underestimated for a long time. I think this season we have made a statement that even at below 100%, we are still the team to beat. The Pistons are a great club too, they've got great chemistry and some great role players like Chauncey and Rip. If both teams meet in the Finals I can't say who would win, but I'll side with the boys in black because I've been a Spurs fan my whole life, I'd root for them even if they were a lottery team. But seriously, if this roster was healthy and we had some vintage TD and some last season Manu, I think there would be no question who is the best team in the NBA. Where would we be without Parker...?

I agree, DEEETROIT basketball hasnt even faced a trully healthy Spurs team... IF they win (and thats a HUGE if in my book is Spurs make if to the finals) it will be, YET AGAIN, against a Tim Duncan that isnt even 80%

SequSpur
04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
How many of you all smoke dope?

SAGambler
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I must say IF the Finals started today, and IF the Pistons stayed healthy, like they have been all year, the Spurs would certainly struggle with them.

But .... The Finals DON'T start today, and we have no idea how healthy the Pistons will be when that day arrives.

An injury to ANY of their starting five could totally disrupt that team.

Not that we can count on one, but who would have figured Lebron would go down last night? You just never know.

I think I will wait until we GET to the Finals and see how each teams health is at THAT point, before I decide what the chances are for the Spurs.