PDA

View Full Version : SAEN: Bowen, Allen renew testy, spirited rivalry

CubanMustGo
04-11-2006, 07:44 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041106.1D.spurs.d5a2919.html

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Ray Allen visits the AT&T Center tonight, and Bruce Bowen obviously hasn't forgotten what happened the last time they met.

Allen scored 33 points. Bowen left Seattle with a $10,000 fine and a loss.

He blames the kick he gave Allen for both.

"I know we win as a team and lose as a team," Bowen said, "but I feel like that was my loss."

With the Spurs leading by 11 midway through the second quarter of the March2 6 game, Allen jumped into Bowen while attempting a shot. Hoping to draw a foul, Allen instead was called for one of his own after both players fell to the floor.

Upset that Allen may have intentionally knocked him down, Bowen kicked the Seattle guard in the back as he tried to get up. Allen tried to lunge at him but was restrained by players from both teams.

Bowen received a technical foul. Allen made the free throw, the KeyArena crowd came alive, and by halftime, the Spurs' lead was down to four.

Allen went on to score 23 points after the kick and make 8 of 13 shots, including the game-winning 3-pointer with 5.4 seconds left.

The Spurs likely would have secured the victory moments before Allen's shot had Robert Horry called a timeout while he had the ball before stumbling out of bounds. But Bowen thinks none of it would have happened had he not "lost my head."

"The whole momentum changed," Bowen said. "It's something I wish I never would have done.

"It's unfortunate, but I have a penalty for that. Not the monetary part. It's that I feel like I let the team down because of my actions."

Bowen publicly apologized after the game, but Allen called the kick dirty and said Bowen played "coward's basketball." Allen told Seattle reporters he called NBA senior vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson to personally lobby for a fine. Jackson, Allen said, was leaning toward not penalizing Bowen until the call.

"I think you put yourself on an island when you do stuff like that," Bowen said. "I think now it's hard for people to respect someone like that.

"I'm not saying I was right. I was wrong for what I did. But you let the powers that be take care of that."

The incident added only more fire to the three-year feud between Bowen and Allen.

Bowen's relationship with Allen began to deteriorate after Allen was traded to Seattle midway through the 2002-03 season. When the Sonics played the Spurs near the end of that season, Bowen was ejected after receiving a pair of technical fouls: the first for a hard foul on Allen; the second for nearly hitting Brent Barry, then with Seattle, in the head with an elbow.

In their next meeting the following season, Bowen and Allen received technicals for pushing each other. Afterward, Allen said Bowen "cheap-shots" him and plays "sissy basketball."

Allen was the first player to publicly criticize Bowen, who thinks the comments helped trigger complaints from others. In their subsequent meetings, Bowen said Allen has told him he's a "terrible" player.

The officials "hear from him that I'm doing all these dirty things to him," Bowen said. "But what about when he hits me? I didn't go say, 'Hey, on the jump ball, he smacked me in the face.'

"There are a lot of people in the league who have lost a lot of respect for him. People are starting to see he's not so clean."

Allen was suspended for three games this season for fighting with Orlando guard Keyon Dooling. He also has had problems with Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.

Said Bowen: "Did anybody call Stu and politic and say we should fine Ray?"

Bowen appreciates his rivalry with Bryant not only because of Bryant's competitiveness, but also because Bryant rarely complains or makes excuses. Even Vince Carter, who previously accused Bowen of stepping under him, has stopped complaining off and on the court.

"We all emulate Michael Jordan because he was the best we saw," Bowen said. "You never heard him talk about the 'Detroit (Jordan) Rules.' Or how physical the Knicks played him. Or how John Starks maybe hit him on a shot."

Michael Finley had his own altercation with Bowen, but the two cleared the air over lunch last summer after Finley signed with the Spurs. Bowen isn't sure whether he and Allen will someday be able to do the same.

"You've got to hear what the other person has to say," Bowen said.

Bowen knows the Spurs have little room for error if they want to hold off Dallas for the Western Conference's top playoff seed.

"Because I have respect for him as a player, that's why I'm able to prepare for him the way I do," Bowen said. "He hit a big shot for them. I have to do a better job — I've never denied that."

Speaking at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting Sunday night, Bowen told the group about his last meeting with Allen.

"We have to be accountable," he said, "and realize there's a cause and effect for the things we do."

polandprzem
04-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Thank for the art.

I must to visit more of EN. I wasn't there for a long time :)

Here we go again. I wonder how the battle between those two will go on. With determined Allen and wanting to prove something Bruce Bowen.

kalikot_boy_kr
04-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Nice Bowen

spurster
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I like how Bruce owns up to his mistake. It's refreshing to have somebody take responsibility for their own actions nowadays.

nkdlunch
04-11-2006, 10:20 AM
"coward's basketball." Allen told Seattle reporters he called NBA senior vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson to personally lobby for a fine. Jackson, Allen said, was leaning toward not penalizing Bowen until the call.
Afterward, Allen said Bowen "cheap-shots" him and plays "sissy basketball."

damn, gaygay sounds like a fucking spoiled 5 yr old

shelshor
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Thank you, Bruce, for behaving in a manner we can be proud of
Crybaby Ray could learn a lot from the manner in which Bruce conducts himself

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I think it's great that Bruce is accountable for his actions. But this is the first time that he's really seemed to express frustration about this situation. The mentions about things Ray does almost seems to be stooping to Ray's level. I can understand needing to fight back, but to this point Bruce has done a remarkable job of leaving that stuff on the court and letting Ray twist in the wind with the media.

CubanMustGo
04-11-2006, 11:13 AM
At some point you have to defend yourself. This BS where RayRay calls Daddy Stu and gets special treatment is that point.

SequSpur
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
What a wuss response.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
At some point you have to defend yourself. This BS where RayRay calls Daddy Stu and gets special treatment is that point.

Exactly. Bruce doesn't give a damn about what gets said to the media, or what any player or reporter might have to say. But when the whinng can somehow impact the opinion of a higher up in the league office then I think you have to step up and call a spade a spade. As it was I think Bruce managed to do it in a civilized manner, at least as civilized as you can be when you're calling a guy a liar and a pussy.

1Parker1
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Bowen appreciates his rivalry with Bryant not only because of Bryant's competitiveness, but also because Bryant rarely complains or makes excuses. Even Vince Carter, who previously accused Bowen of stepping under him, has stopped complaining off and on the court.

"We all emulate Michael Jordan because he was the best we saw," Bowen said. "You never heard him talk about the 'Detroit (Jordan) Rules.' Or how physical the Knicks played him. Or how John Starks maybe hit him on a shot."

:tu Very true.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I feel like that was my loss

Allen's going to get put in a straightjacket tonight :tu

Bowen should have called it like it is: "anyone who has to go hide behind the skirt of Stu Jackson is a fucking pussy. And you can quote me on that."

I'd gladly pay the fine on his behalf for a comment like that.

50 cent
04-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Bowen should have called it like it is: "anyone who has to go hide behind the skirt of Stu Jackson is a fucking pussy. And you can quote me on that."

:tu :tu :tu

:lol :lol :lol

Rummpd
04-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I want a 15 point game out of Allen on lots of shots, have a feeling that Bruce is salivating at this challenge.

If someone had called the league on me, I would be on him like a hound dog from the get go.

In fact don' t be surprised if BB does not outscore RA tonight he has done it to Kobe a few times in the past!

abelle23
04-11-2006, 03:24 PM
tonights another match to watch because of the two...i hope bruce steps up this time and shuts gay allen!

infinite styles
04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Allen is a bitch. He always talking about sissy ball or whatever but he ain't nothing but a damn tattle tale. I hope he never plays a pickup game and gets fucked with he might go off and tell they momma. Anyways, Allens gonna all the attention he wants from the refs and Bruce will most likely be saddled with early foul trouble on BS calls cause the refs don't want it to get outta hand.

leemajors
04-11-2006, 05:56 PM
i think shutting allen down is out of the question, but limiting his points is possible. if he gets 20 pts on 20 shots i will be happy.

Rummpd
04-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Would take that to - stopping the thugs in the paint of the Sonics is key - I miss a guy like Willis right now.

tlongII
04-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't know what Bowen plays, but it ain't basketball.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I think we should put in Sanders and just have him deck Ray Ray. After Ray girly punches him a couple of times, both get tossed. :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-11-2006, 06:30 PM

thankfully Bruce wouldnt compromise his faith by letting it get the better of him and using words like that
:king

greyforest
04-11-2006, 07:24 PM
bruce is talkin right now on fox sports, he is definitely taking the high-road in arguing.

btw that "kick" was so pussy, i agree with whoever said it was a foot shove :P it was out of disgust, not anger or violence.

if you want to see bowen kicking someone, just find that animated gif of him giving a flying kick to someone's face. a user here has it as their sig :fro:

exstatic
04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I only thought Allen was a pussy before. Now, I know. What a bitch move...:rolleyes

milkyway21
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
The officials "hear from him that I'm doing all these dirty things to him," Bowen said. "But what about when he hits me? I didn't go say, 'Hey, on the jump ball, he smacked me in the face:wtf ??????

can anyone tell me why Allen got an award for Sportmanship? this pussy :cat does not deserve one.

:clap for Bowen not to let let this one intimidate him and showing what this team is all about-this is not a team Shaq referred to as a WNBA team. This one is not afraid to defend themselves.

exstatic
04-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Allen was probably the kid that took names while the teacher was out of the classroom...

milkyway21
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
i just thought that that Bowen kick was just to tell Ray "get off me". But really not to hurt Allen. These two were buddies before, used to hang out together. Sad to end the friendship just bec Allen is a bitch. And just can't keep his mouth shut and just play ball.

krinkx
04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
bitchy allen :)

greyforest
04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
looks like ray allen can shut the fuck up!

:fro

Dre_7
04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Congrats Ray Allen on being the games 7th highest scorer. :lol

infinite styles
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Before Allen was "He Got Game". Kids in his school called him "He Got Names". Now Bruce knows him as "He Got BOWEND"