PDA

View Full Version : Ford recalls nearly 20,000 Cobras

T-Pain
04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday that it was recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobra sports cars after receiving complaints that the back of the accelerator pedal could become caught in the floor carpeting and lead to a crash.

Ford told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in late January that it had received about 100 complaints and allegations of two crashes and one injury. The recall affects 19,140 Mustang Cobras from the 2003 and 2004 model years.

Ford said in a letter to NHTSA that the rear surface of the pedal could interfere with the carpeting during heavy throttling and make it difficult for the pedal to return to an idle position. The problem could be found in vehicles where the floor carpeting does not fit flush with the sheet metal.

Dealers are expected to install a bracket over the cutout in the carpet behind the pedal. Owners are expected to be notified of the recall in late April and will not be charged for the repair.

Last July, NHTSA opened an investigation into accelerator pedal interference in the 2003 and 2004 Mustang, and the 2003 model year of the Mustang convertible and Mustang GT.

Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley said the automaker's investigation only found the issue in the Cobras because the high-performance model has a different pedal configuration than the other Mustang versions.

Ford shares fell 35 cents, or 4.6 percent, to close at $7.17 on the New York Stock Exchange, after sinking to a new 52-week low of $7.21 earlier in the session.

Thats what you get for racing the damn car, its not their fault if you decide to floor it...

CubanMustGo
04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Shit, the "throttle" in my Focus does that, too.

Of course, since it takes about half an hour to get to 60, there's plenty of time to correct the problem.

CosmicCowboy
04-11-2006, 05:47 PM
:lmao

I bet that could be an asshole puckering experience with the gas pedal stuck to the floor.

Vashner
04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
It happend to me once when a taco cabana cup got stuck under the gas pedal lol. I turned the engine off.

nkdlunch
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
shit cars

chode_regulator
04-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Thats what you get for racing the damn car, its not their fault if you decide to floor it...
so i guess youre supposed to buy a 30k dollar car that is supercharged and not use its power. i guess it should be driven like a focus. :rolleyes

It happend to me once when a taco cabana cup got stuck under the gas pedal lol. I turned the engine off
no offense but what an idiotic ting to do. im surprised you didnt wreck the car. when you turn off the car you lose all steering and brakes. :spin

btw, another reason all sports cars whould be manual. if you have a clutch at your disposal it wouldnt matter all that much if the accelerator got stuck.

CosmicCowboy
04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
so i guess youre supposed to buy a 30k dollar car that is supercharged and not use its power. i guess it should be driven like a focus. :rolleyes

no offense but what an idiotic ting to do. im surprised you didnt wreck the car. when you turn off the car you lose all steering and brakes. :spin

btw, another reason all sports cars whould be manual. if you have a clutch at your disposal it wouldnt matter all that much if the accelerator got stuck.

*step on clutch*

*scatter motor at 8500rpm*

*lose all steering and brakes*

ShoogarBear
04-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Snakes on a Recall

*step on clutch*

*scatter motor at 8500rpm*

*lose all steering and brakes*

:lmao :lmao :lmao

T-Pain
04-11-2006, 07:17 PM

your not supposed to race on public roads...

chode_regulator
04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
your not supposed to race on public roads...
who said anything about racing
soemtimes when i have a clear shot from a light i stomp on my car for the fun of it. not racing anyone at all. or sometimes i just stomp on it when im passing to get arond someone that much quicker. not racing at all.

and cosmic cowboy are you trying to say that if the acclerator got stuck and you pushed the clutch in that you would fuck up the engine? if so i call shenanigans. if you push in the clutch and then use the brake you should be able to slow down enogh to stop and pull over and turn off the engine before blowingthe engine. if not, well then you have a huge pile of shit on 4 wheels for a car.

E20
04-11-2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/forsidealm/25154.jpg

chode_regulator
04-11-2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/forsidealm/25154.jpg
lol
remidns me of the brochure for the glocks that has the fire coming outthe top of htebarrel of their handgun. made me ownder what happens if you point it up when its in front of you and you fire it?

Vashner
04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Those are the glock "C" models. Or Compensated.

Accurate but if you shoot it at night it will blind you lol.

Vashner
04-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Idiotic? You don't loose all steering and breaks when you turn it off moron.

I am not going to blow my motor. BTW your sig looks like shit. It's big and ugly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2006, 10:25 PM
http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/153/COBRA_LOGO.jpg

spurs_2108
04-11-2006, 10:45 PM
That sucks.

CosmicCowboy
04-12-2006, 07:42 AM
soemtimes when i have a clear shot from a light i stomp on my car for the fun of it. not racing anyone at all. or sometimes i just stomp on it when im passing to get arond someone that much quicker. not racing at all.

and cosmic cowboy are you trying to say that if the acclerator got stuck and you pushed the clutch in that you would fuck up the engine? if so i call shenanigans. if you push in the clutch and then use the brake you should be able to slow down enogh to stop and pull over and turn off the engine before blowingthe engine. if not, well then you have a huge pile of shit on 4 wheels for a car.

uhhhh OK chode...call shenanigans. Over-revving a high performance motor doesn't hurt them.
:rolleyes

And does your mother know you a ragging out her old piece of shit taurus tromping it at red lights?

pache100
04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Idiotic? You don't loose all steering and breaks when you turn it off moron.

I am not going to blow my motor. BTW your sig looks like shit. It's big and ugly.

Um. I don't lose the brakes when I turn the engine off...but I do lose the power steering and the steering wheel locks up when you turn the engine off in my Ford Ranger...and any other car with power steering I've ever driven. But, I've owned and driven a standard transmission all my life until this truck...and the clutch thing works, too, especially if you just take it out of gear and brake.

Vashner
04-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Power steering loss is not loss of control. You need 2 hands. You put on hazzards and pull over for a restart. What you don't do is pull the key all the way back so you don't lock the steering. Just once till engine cutoff. Ranger will no lock wheel unless your at the LOCK position which is all the way off.

101A
04-12-2006, 12:09 PM

So, you've got a hot car, but it gives you enough time to:

Brake, steer, park AND turn off the motor - BEFORE it is able to clear red-line with no load on it? There is only 1 motor I know of that forgiving, and an '82 Diesal Rabbit is by no means "hot".

Clandestino
04-12-2006, 12:37 PM
it's the fucking unions building these cars! get rid of the unions!

pache100
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Power steering loss is not loss of control. You need 2 hands. You put on hazzards and pull over for a restart. What you don't do is pull the key all the way back so you don't lock the steering. Just once till engine cutoff. Ranger will no lock wheel unless your at the LOCK position which is all the way off.

Ok. But, the term you (and whoever) was using was "turn it off". That's the assumption I was operating on.

chode_regulator
04-12-2006, 06:04 PM
ok i was basing this off of turning it all the way off. instantly reminded me of the story wehre kids try to see how fast they can coast down a big hill and turn the car off and lose steering. they then crash and die. to be honest i dont know what happens if you jsut turn it to the accy postion.
and cosmic, im 23 yrs old, i dont drive my moms car. in fact i really never have unless it was for a quick trip somewhere. and if you wnat to copmare a 350z to a taurus, well then bring said taurus and we'll see whats up. im not saying a z is the be all end all car but its def not a taurus. bitch.
and 101a, i dont know what kind of shitty car you drive or are used to driving but i am 100% positive that if that happened in my z that i would have more than enough time to push the clutch in, brake hard and pull over. its not like youre trying to parallel park while doing this. i mean seriously, if your doing even hwy speed, 70, and the acclerator sticks, how long do you think it would take to stop and pull over and turn the car off. you could turn it off at low speeds, <10, and it wouldnt do much.
would i want a stuck acclerator? no. but is it the end of the world like yall think? def not.