PDA

View Full Version : Postseason Rosters to Expand to 13

milkyway21
04-12-2006, 12:42 AM
i hope this is a new post.

NEW YORK -- NBA postseason rosters will expand to 13 this season, with teams deactivating one player before each game.

This will be the first time teams will be allowed to make changes during the playoffs. In the past, they had to stick with the same 12-man roster throughout the postseason.

The new rule was approved by the board of governors and announced on Tuesday.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the change was made to give teams the same kind of roster room they had during the regular season. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, rosters were expanded to 15, with teams placing 12 players on the active list before each game.

"We should have some type of flexibility since teams have been able to do that the entire season," Frank said. "We just kind of felt like that was the best way to go."

The regular season ends on April 19, and the playoffs begin three days later.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

..is this good news to the Spurs?

who will make it to our playoff roster this yr?

milkyway21
04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
..if someone from our playoff roster gets injured, we can replace him with somebody from the IL.

am I right?

sounds good :tu

cs100
04-12-2006, 02:21 AM
It means that we can include KIWI in our playoff roster for once. Saunders will have to be left off the roster completely. This means that the Spurs, or any playoff team, can de-activate one player before each game during the playoffs.

milkyway21
04-12-2006, 02:37 AM
It means that we can include KIWI in our playoff roster for once. Saunders will have to be left off the roster completely.

Spurs notebook: NBA playoff rosters move from 12 to 13

reg Kiwi / Saunders here's more:

Web Posted: 04/12/2006 12:07 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The NBA announced Tuesday it will expand this season's playoff rosters to 13 players.

Teams still will be limited to 12 active players per game but can have one player on the inactive list. The inactive list can change game by game, but the playoff roster must remain the same after it is set the day before the postseason begins.

In the past, teams carried a 12-man playoff roster. If one of those players suffered an injury, teams were not allowed to replace him on the roster, even after a series.

The change allows teams a little more flexibility. The Spurs have 14 players, which means either Melvin Sanders or Sean Marks likely will be left in the playoff roster.:cry

----------------------------------------------------

Offseason plans: The Spurs will be heavily involved in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program again this summer.

Bruce Bowen is tentatively scheduled to participate in the Africa camp Sept. 6-10 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford will again be one of the camp's directors.

Bowen could have a busy summer. He'll try out for the U.S. team in July. If he makes it, he'll play in the World Championships in Japan.

The tournament doesn't end until Sept. 3, and Bowen said he will fly home before leaving for Africa.

"I'll have plenty of time to rest after that," Bowen said.

Marks and Spurs assistant coaches Mike Budenholzer, Don Newman and Brett Brown are scheduled to work the Americas camp July 17-20 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Basketball Without Borders also will have camps in Shanghai, China, and Vilnius, Lithuania. The program allows NBA players and coaches to work with some of the top teenagers from respective regions.

Beard watch: The Spurs will take their team photo today, and the picture should look a lot less grizzly than expected.

Brent Barry and Robert Horry have dropped out of the team's facial hair competition, leaving Manu Ginobili as the only player left with a beard. Ginobili's remaining competition: trainer Will Sevening; equipment manager Nixon Dorvilien; and Tom James and Cliff Puchalski of the team's media services department.

Perfection spoiled: Spurs backup center Rasho Nesterovic made his first five shots before missing a 55-foot heave at the third-quarter buzzer.

"I know it spoiled my 1,000 percent," Nesterovic said, "but it would have been a hell of a shot if I made it."

It was the first 3-point attempt of Nesterovic's three seasons with the Spurs, and just the sixth of his seven-year NBA career. He has yet to make one.

"But I made some in Europe," he said. "The line is shorter there." :lol

Any more questions? Barry said that with all the concern about playoff seeding and last week's loss to Dallas, some people might not be appreciating the Spurs' achievements this season as much as they should.

"We've been answering a lot of questions over the past week about our team and all the things that are going on, and this team just won 60 games," Barry said. "And that's a pretty special thing. We never set a goal as to how many games we're going to win, but that's a damn fine season, and we still have more to go. So we can talk people off the ledges at this point."

But aren't high expectations a good thing?

"It's good and bad," Barry said. "If it makes you suicidal, it's very bad."

Super Wilcox: Sonics power forward Chris Wilcox was named the Western Conference's player of the week. He averaged 23 points and 15.3 rebounds last week.

"It's just the opportunity to come out and play every night," said Wilcox, who came to Seattle from the Clippers on Feb. 14 in a trade for Vladimir Radmanovic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff writers Mike Monroe and Mike Finger contributed to this report.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Ginobili's remaining competition: trainer Will Sevening; equipment manager Nixon Dorvilien; and Tom James and Cliff Puchalski of the team's media services department.

:lol

It's funny that Manu is last remaining player.

milkyway21
04-12-2006, 03:20 AM
i checked but i can't find a photo of Manu with a beard.:D

anyways, good luck Spurs for your next game-vs Orlando.
watch out for Howard.
It's lenten season here, I'm off for a vacation.

catch up with you after 5 days guys.

Vashner
04-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Bring in 50 on a 10 day? heheh

Obstructed_View
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
"I know it spoiled my 1,000 percent," Nesterovic said, "but it would have been a hell of a shot if I made it."

That's fucking awesome.

yeahone
04-12-2006, 05:16 PM
thats the spirit Rasho

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
A dunk can also be a hell of a shot, Rasho.

angel_luv
04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I had this in another thread- just realized Milky beat me. So I came to join the fun. :)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041206.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.12d3f98d.html

Beard watch: The Spurs will take their team photo today, and the picture should look a lot less grizzly than expected.

Brent Barry and Robert Horry have dropped out of the team's facial hair competition, leaving Manu Ginobili as the only player left with a beard. Ginobili's remaining competition: trainer Will Sevening; equipment manager Nixon Dorvilien; and Tom James and Cliff Puchalski of the team's media services department.

Gino won. Somebody give the man a razor! :)

Perfection spoiled: Spurs backup center Rasho Nesterovic made his first five shots before missing a 55-foot heave at the third-quarter buzzer.

"I know it spoiled my 1,000 percent," Nesterovic said, "but it would have been a hell of a shot if I made it." :lol :fro

It was the first 3-point attempt of Nesterovic's three seasons with the Spurs, and just the sixth of his seven-year NBA career. He has yet to make one.

"But I made some in Europe," he said. "The line is shorter there."

Any more questions? Barry said that with all the concern about playoff seeding and last week's loss to Dallas, some people might not be appreciating the Spurs' achievements this season as much as they should.

"We've been answering a lot of questions over the past week about our team and all the things that are going on, and this team just won 60 games," Barry said. "And that's a pretty special thing. We never set a goal as to how many games we're going to win, but that's a damn fine season, and we still have more to go. So we can talk people off the ledges at this point."

Let them know Brent! :tu :lol
But aren't high expectations a good thing?

"It's good and bad," Barry said. "If it makes you suicidal, it's very bad." :lol

It as if he had read the threads. :lol

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
It's nice not having to choose between Oberto and Marks until game time.