PDA

View Full Version : Resting Manu for the Playoffs

Dre_7
04-12-2006, 02:19 AM
I have not seen this said anywhere here, but I want to know if anyone agrees with me. We all saw how Manu took over the playoffs last year. We also saw how his play declined when he got hurt in game 3 of the Finals. In order for Manu to be Manu he has to be healthy. Now I look at the remaining games left and I see Orlando, @ Minnesota (with no KG), Utah (tough team, but its in the AT&T Center), @ Houston (no Yao, no TMac).

I think Manu should not play another game this regular season and come out fresh for the playoffs. I think SA could win all four of those games even without Manu. I dont know how his thigh is doing at the moment, but why risk it? Just sit him out until the first game of the playoffs.

What do yall think? And if this has been addressed before I apologies.

mavsfan1000
04-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Yeah do it so Dallas has a chance for the top spot.

Dre_7
04-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Damn, I just saw that Utah is the second game of a B2B. Still should be able to beat them at home. SA is only traveling from Minnesota. Which is a lot different than coming from the west coast. If they can get a big lead on Min early. They might get enough rest. Either way, I say Manu should sit.

Slo spurs fan
04-12-2006, 02:43 AM
And Tim should join him.

boutons_
04-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Manu shouldn't be tired. He's bruised. He's missed a lot of games.

He needs to be in game-shape. It seems like it takes him a LONG time to get back in game rhythm after he been sititng out games.

Phenomanul
04-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Manu shouldn't be tired. He's bruised. He's missed a lot of games.

He needs to be in game-shape. It seems like it takes him a LONG time to get back in game rhythm after he been sititng out games.

For once I agree with boutons_

carina_gino20
04-12-2006, 06:51 AM
i think he should play at least for the last 2 so that he doesn't feel to rusty when the playoffs start. manu's the kind of player who has to get into a good rhythm to be effective.

sprrs
04-12-2006, 07:47 AM
For once I agree with boutons_

Agreed we want him to already be on a roll when the playoffs start, not trying to find his groove late into the second round or something.

He should play, but his minutes should definitely be limited.

101A
04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah do it so Dallas has a chance for the top spot.

Dallas had a chance....in November. 'Fraid it's too late now.

spurschick
04-12-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.spurschick.com/manumyfast.jpg

Sportman
04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Manu must play before the playoffs. He needs to get his rhythm and be prepared.

pache100
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Exactly. You all forget what happens to a player's rhythm and timing when they sit out multiple games. Play him/them minimal minutes. But sitting out whole games is not a good idea at this point. It just takes too long to get their stride back.

ducks
04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
manu needs to see a doctor
he is as ijunured prone as cotton cambry

smeagol
04-12-2006, 09:02 AM
manu needs to see a doctor
he is as ijunured prone as cotton cambry
Manu's style of play is what causes his injuries. A doctor will not fix that.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Manu's style of play is what causes his injuries. A doctor will not fix that.
What I don't get is how "Lucky" he was the last couple years to pretty much play with his reckless style and have a "normal" amount of injuries that didn't influence his effectiveness like it has this year. I think that summer of rest and "inactivity" took his body out of rhythm. He was just as banged up as last year, but this year he's a bit softer it seems. I think Manu needs to play all year-round with his Argentine team. That's what makes him Supermanu.

polandprzem
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
I was sayimng about resting manu a few days ago. Pop said something like that Manu is a tough Kid but we must rest him, he is all banged up.
And if Pop is saying that kind of things, he is serious about that, and we have not much time left in regular so probably we won't see him on the floor.
Everybody is talking about Manu must get his rhythym cause he is that kind of player. It is a fackt , but in a situation like this it will be better to keep Gino out of the games. Just put him in the battle field and he will compete, no matter the rhythm.

I think we will see him maybe in one , maybe in two games just because he must have that feel, game feel of ball and the court. I can guess he will play in the last 2 games or the last when Timmy will sitout along with TP.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
For as great a player as Ginobili is I think the only way you get him healthy is benching for the whole game. As it was said earlier it's his playing style that makes him a magnet for all those bumps and bruises and no matter what the coaches try to tell him he's going to go all out and try to get to the hoop while he's on the floor-regardless of where he's out there for five minutes or forty. And that leads to contact/hard fouls, and at any given moment that can lead to another injury.

From a realistic stand point however, I don't think that Manu would be 100% even if they sat him for the rest of the year. Cap his minutes around 20-25, maybe not start him in the back to back. I'd rather have an 80% Manu with his rhythm than 95% Manu without it.

ashbeeigh
04-12-2006, 09:54 AM
I heard on the news, I can't remember which, and it was clear, that Pop was not "resting" anyone for the playoffs. But whatever y'alls theory is.

nkdlunch
04-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Pop will ease him into the lineup in the next few games. He'll be essential in our playoff push.

Fabbs
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
For you ones who say after he rests he sucks when he initially comes back in, do the stats support this? Cause I don't remember him sucking the first couple games after he comes back.

I say he should entirely rest at least one full game of the remaining. Like the back of the back for instance.

As to Spurs opponents, two of them are right on the playoff fringe, that being Utah and Orlando. If they both win their next game(s), and Orlando plays tonight, that will be large in determining how hard they will or will not play vs the Spurs. I know we don't want to get too much into "what other teams do" stuff, b-u-t if Orlando would lose tonight and Utah would lose at least one of their next two, it would go a long way towards eliminating them from the playoff race. Hence they won't have much to play for, hence resting Manu in a Spurs romp should not be a big deal.

Duncan should not play the end of the final back to back. Period.

leemajors
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
i don't think resting ginobili at any time reduces his risk of injury. his style of play is what increases the likelihood of him becoming injured - it could happen at any time.

Jimcs50
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
And Tim should join him.

No, TD is just getting back into his aggressive mode, he needs to play all the games going into the playoffs, to get his confidence back up.

ducks
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM
how many games does he need to rest?

Fabbs
04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
No, TD is just getting back into his aggressive mode, he needs to play all the games going into the playoffs, to get his confidence back up.

Absolute negatory. In the 2nd game of back to backs it is clinically proven that Duncan sucks this year. All his stats drop signifigantly, and i would include his defense. Tim should rest vs Utah, period. A Rasho-Nazr-Fabs three headed rotating monster is what should be employed.
(It will help if Utah is eliminated by then).

Or will it? Historically do teams tank it after being eliminated or does it have an opposite effect, they loosen up and play better? <Started new thread on this

Bruno
04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
From parker interview :
http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=122

Manu Ginobili did not play on Sunday. What is he suffering from ?

He took a shot against Dallas just above the ankle. We are waiting for today’s practice to know whether or not he will be with us against Seattle tonight. He is sure to play on Thursday.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Manu probably would have played if the games had been critical, which means he IS being rested.

What should be worrying people is the fact that the rotation is screwy going into the playoffs. I may be wrong, but I don't remember that happening in the past.

PM5K
04-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I have a better idea, let's rest the whole team!

abelle23
04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
manu should play at least the 2 remaining games so as not to lose his rhythm...

Dre_7
04-13-2006, 11:43 AM
A Rasho-Nazr-Fabs three headed rotating monster is what should be employed.

:lol I just read this post!! I dont know how you call Nazr, Rasho, and Oberto a "monster" but oooookaaaay???

:lmao

Jimcs50
04-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Absolute negatory. In the 2nd game of back to backs it is clinically proven that Duncan sucks this year. All his stats drop signifigantly, and i would include his defense. Tim should rest vs Utah, period. A Rasho-Nazr-Fabs three headed rotating monster is what should be employed.
(It will help if Utah is eliminated by then).

Duncan owns Utah. He will play.

101A
04-13-2006, 12:55 PM
A Rasho-Nazr-Fabs three headed rotating monster is what should be employed.

Horry?

yavozerb
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Play manu 15-20 minutes for the final 2 games and also use TD only 20-25 minutes for the final 4 games..All we need to do is beat houston to really secure home court according to tiebreaker of conf. records!! Even if we go 2-2, i'm alright with that sa long as one of the wins is hou.

101A
04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Play manu 15-20 minutes for the final 2 games and also use TD only 20-25 minutes for the final 4 games..All we need to do is beat houston to really secure home court according to tiebreaker of conf. records!! Even if we go 2-2, i'm alright with that sa long as one of the wins is hou.

You DO NOT want to go into Houston w/a MUST win if it can be avoided. A team with nothing to play for, on its home court; with a chance to SPOIL the champs can be a very dangerous thing. I know they suck and have a buch of NBA scrubs; but ultimately those scrubs have NBA talent, can get hot, and win a single game.

boutons_
04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
we want to win out, have 6-game W streak, 64 W overall. They're all lottery teams, Magic is on second of B2B. Spurs need to gut up and win out. it's not a hard stretch of games.

smeagol
04-13-2006, 01:32 PM
So . . is Manu playing tonight?

GrandeDavid
04-13-2006, 01:59 PM
The Spurs don't need Manu to secure the top spot, holmes.

I'd play Manu limited minutes, but I don't think I'd outright sit him.

Fabbs
04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Horry?

Yes make it a 4 headed monster.