PDA

View Full Version : Any News on Scola?

SpursStillTippin
04-12-2006, 04:10 AM
I think we all forgot bout Scola by now but anyone know any news on if he will be playing for us next year? I know we were after him last off season but couldn't get him out of his big contract. Another thing if you go to http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp they have the Spurs drafting James "flight" White, the kid that can jump out the building. Seen dude dunk with 2 hands from the free throw line and then wind mill from the free throw line. I know he is a raw talent in need of much work but who wouldn't want to see that kid in a Spurs uniform dunking on folks?

Bruno
04-12-2006, 06:26 AM
I think we all forgot bout Scola by now but anyone know any news on if he will be playing for us next year? I know we were after him last off season but couldn't get him out of his big contract.

We don't forget Scola, I've post a info a bout his buyout few days ago. His buyout is $3M and can be paid over 3 years ($1M/years).

Will Scola play for us next year ?
I don't know but you should consider that:
- Spurs haven't maybe a lot of playtime for him : it will depend on trades/signs made this summer.
- Spurs haven't maybe a lot of money available for him : it will depend on trades/signs made this summer. Spurs are close to the Lux tax domain and Scoal isn't cheap. I think he will ask for at least $10M/3 years, he will still have $7M for him with the buyout.
- Spurs maybe don't want to spend $10M on Scola. He is a dominant player in Europe but all in all he is still an undersized PF who isn't a great defender or rebounder. $10M is a lot for a rookie and being dominant in europe isn't a key to be dominant in nba : Oberto($7.5M), Macijauskas($7.5M) and Jasikevicious($12M) were good in europe and are now overpaid for their nba production.
- Don't forget Javtokas. He is a better defender and rebounder than Scola. He can be a solid backup in nba with his athlecism. His main quality is that he is way cheaper than Scola and has no buyout. Even if he has no offensive game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs rather spend $3M/2 years on Javtokas than $10M/3 years on Scola.
- If the news about his buyout is true, Scola is a good trade asset. Spurs can still trade him for another project or draft pick. He can be used to sweeten a trade with Rasho or Barry like draft picks in the Nazr/Malik trade.

Another thing if you go to http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp they have the Spurs drafting James "flight" White, the kid that can jump out the building. Seen dude dunk with 2 hands from the free throw line and then wind mill from the free throw line. I know he is a raw talent in need of much work but who wouldn't want to see that kid in a Spurs uniform dunking on folks?

Mockdraft aren't based on team needs/rumors for the moment, Spurs drafting White is just because they think that White is the 59th best player in the draft.

I don't think White will be available with the 59th pick. Even if he isn't that good, I can see a nba team drafting him with a mid second round pick only because he can a good jersey seller with his dunks and has a chance to participate in the nba slam dunk contest.

The guy I'd like that Spurs draft is Bobby Jones. With Bruce as mentor and Pop as coach, he can become a great role players in the Spurs system and was maybe the best perimeter defender in college. However, I doubt too that he will be available with the 59th pick (he has well played at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament and is more an early second round pick now).

leemajors
04-12-2006, 08:10 AM
thanks for the info bruno, i hope that buyout is true... it would make a great trade asset if nothing else

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Scola was a pipe dream. and was a bit idealized...

it's a shame too. Because I was looking forward to using his catchphrase for the '06, 07 seasons whilst Spurs' opponents quivered in his wake:

"H-YOU...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/johngpeppers/YouANGERSCOLA.jpg
....ANGER SCOLA!!!!

nkdlunch
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I predict a huge LOL Caption Scola thread next season

ploto
04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Where did you get that buy out info?

leemajors
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
a $3mill buyout, if it is true, is no longer a pipe dream. i hope it is true!

Fabbs
04-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Spurs drafting James "flight" White, the kid that can jump out the building.

Sounds great, but I also doubt he will last till pick #57.
6'7" 190, ouch. Thats Shaun Livingston skinny, and Livingston is having problems with his frame.

If Spurs could get James White and bulk him up, I'd say we score big time.

Scola could still work out. His 3 mil buyout and 10mil/3 years salary is doable by todays overpaid NBA standards. Think Rasha. Also with the reg season roster at 15 and now 13 for playoffs, sure bring in Scola or the other Euro.

ducks
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM
the spurs might not be willing to give scola a the full mle which he wanted before

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
the spurs might not be willing to give scola a the full mle which he wanted before

He wanted that money if he was going to pay the whole buyout on his own in one payment. His contract expires in June 2007 (and in January 2007 he'll have freedom to discuss contracts with any European team), so now he is in a position where he can reach a deal with Tau, because they'd like to get something in return before than nothing.

I don't think he will ask for the full MLE this time, since he can pay the buyout in 3 years, and he is in a position to negotiate; he is TAU's best player and his contract is expiring.

ploto
04-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Pop said a couple of weeks ago that Scola's contract expires in 2008.

Bruno
04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Where did you get that buy out info?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=854511&postcount=20

Kori Ellis
04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I wish someone could get confirmation on that $3M buyout other than that website. The person who wrote that article got fired from another website for printing false (made up?) information.

Solid D
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
BTW, Luis is playing with Tau today (it's almost gametime, in fact) against Panathinaikos in the rubber-match game to see if Tau moves on to play in the Euroleague Final 4. It's being played in Athens so that makes it a tough challenge.

koopa
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I think we all forgot bout Scola by now but anyone know any news on if he will be playing for us next year? I know we were after him last off season but couldn't get him out of his big contract. Another thing if you go to http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp they have the Spurs drafting James "flight" White, the kid that can jump out the building. Seen dude dunk with 2 hands from the free throw line and then wind mill from the free throw line. I know he is a raw talent in need of much work but who wouldn't want to see that kid in a Spurs uniform dunking on folks?

i think right now nbadraft.net doesn't take team needs into consideration they are just ranking the players, so they don't really have us drafting him, that's just where they think he's rated with the other players

waly.mg
04-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Live scores of the Match of the Tau

http://195.56.77.210/html/euro_227/comment.html

waly.mg
04-12-2006, 01:52 PM
sorry thatīs the play by play

the live score is here

http://195.56.77.56/html/euro_227/fulleng.html

waly.mg
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
The TAU won by 3 in Athens