PDA

View Full Version : How about starting Barry come...

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
playoff time? I like Barry starting. He looks more confident when he starts. Forget about Sunday's game. All the other times he has started in Manu's place he has done good.

I think having Manu and Finley come off the bench would be great for the Spurs. Just want to know your thoughts.

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
That's so 2005.

nkdlunch
04-12-2006, 10:20 AM
How about Barry starts to grow some balls and stop having the entire Spurs team accomodate to him

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Its not so much about helping Barry. Its also about helping Manu come into form. He has not been his usual self this year because of the injuries. I think having him come off the bench would ease some of the pressure off of him.

101A
04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Manu starts.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Barry and Finley do fine off the bench now - there is really no need for a welfare promotion anymore.

As far as Manu goes, he'll play the same no matter what and run the same risk of injury - coming of the bench wouldn't change anything there either.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Barry and Finley do fine off the bench now - there is really no need for a welfare promotion anymore.

As far as Manu goes, he'll play the same no matter what and run the same risk of injury - coming of the bench wouldn't change anything there either.

I agree, and if someone starts in Manu's place, it should be Finley.

lil'mo
04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Its not so much about helping Barry. Its also about helping Manu come into form. He has not been his usual self this year because of the injuries. I think having him come off the bench would ease some of the pressure off of him.
i dont know how you came to that conclusion

Sportman
04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
NO WAY!!!!!............this is a time when you have to play with all your tools. You cant give this kind of advantage, we just have to remember what happened the last year against denver and we are going to realize this is not a time for distracting

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Barry has been great off the bench ever since we almost traded him.

Bad take Mo.

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
How would it be a distraction? Remember Pop starting Barry last year and look where the Spurs ended up? Winning the whole thing.

pache100
04-12-2006, 01:12 PM
How would it be a distraction? Remember Pop starting Barry last year and look where the Spurs ended up? Winning the whole thing.

That was a carefully considered and well-thought out maneuver for the moment, and everyone was agreeable to it. Just because it worked back then does not mean it would work today/now. I think we should just all sit back and be fans and let the coaches do what they are actually paid for and make these critical and sensitive decisions. Second-guessing is not wise. And it's probably the reason Pop and PJ are there and making the big bucks :bling :bling :bling :bling ...and we are here :flag: .

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm not trying to do a coach's job. Just throwing out the idea of starting Barry.

pache100
04-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm not trying to do a coach's job. Just throwing out the idea of starting Barry.

Whatever. I was just answering your question about it being a distraction. There are a lot of factors at play; it could very well be a distraction. Just because it wasn't last year doesn't mean it wouldn't be this year. I was just pointing out that the people who best know those factors (egos/personalities/situations/yada yada yada) are the coaches. That's all.

I'll just stay out of it.

nkdlunch
04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
That was a carefully considered and well-thought out maneuver for the moment, and everyone was agreeable to it. Just because it worked back then does not mean it would work today/now. I think we should just all sit back and be fans and let the coaches do what they are actually paid for and make these critical and sensitive decisions. Second-guessing is not wise. And it's probably the reason Pop and PJ are there and making the big bucks :bling :bling :bling :bling ...and we are here :flag: .

actually it was neither carefully considered or well thought out and I doubt everyone agreed to it. It was actuallly a big gamble for Pop, but it turned out to be genius.

koopa
04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
OMG, the dude had one good game and he deserves to start over manu?? that game on sunday is the player he is for us, last night was a once a month thing, kinda like a chicks period lol....... and he didn't start that much for manu this year, finley did, let brent fall back when manu comes back because brent is just not a good fit for this team and he'll never earn his paycheck because he's afraid of his own shadow

pache100
04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
actually it was neither carefully considered or well thought out and I doubt everyone agreed to it. It was actuallly a big gamble for Pop, but it turned out to be genius.

Well, that's your opinion, I guess. I happen to think a lot of thought went into it or it would not have happened. And it most definitely was agreed to. Manu said publicly he agreed to it, and so did Barry.

rayray2k8
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
For what?

Fabbs
04-12-2006, 01:39 PM

Not a thing wrong with your bringing it up Mo. Seattle was not a one time thing as Barry started just a short while back at Clippers and did very well. Plus just because Manu does not start, does not mean he cannot play 35+ minutes per game. It's not an unthinkable idea. If Manu is back to 100% then fine, start Manu which is what Pop will do. However the idea of starting Barry is not whack.

Barry has been great since the near trade. All the Barry Haters give him zero credit for both it and last years 20 minutes a game in both WCFs vs Phx and Finals vs Detroit. Barry worked very well together esp with Horry. The stuff about how bad he sucks is pure bull. Starting Barry again in this last back to back vs Utah would be a good move IMO.

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Not a thing wrong with your bringing it up Mo. Seattle was not a one time thing as Barry started just a short while back at Clippers and did very well. Plus just because Manu does not start, does not mean he cannot play 35+ minutes per game. It's not an unthinkable idea. If Manu is back to 100% then fine, start Manu which is what Pop will do. However the idea of starting Barry is not whack.

Barry has been great since the near trade. All the Barry Haters give him zero credit for both it and last years 20 minutes a game in both WCFs vs Phx and Finals vs Detroit. Barry worked very well together esp with Horry. The stuff about how bad he sucks is pure bull. Starting Barry again in this last back to back vs Utah would be a good move IMO.

That was the idea I had except I didn't go into detail like you did. Thanks though. I just see Barry having better games when he starts and I think Manu does a great job off the bench. It has nothing to do with me being all over Barry because he had one good game. I just think Manu and his injuries this year have slowed him down big time. I think Manu can come off the bench and work his way into game shape that way. He can still get 25+ minutes a game.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
The only reason Barry started last year was because he sucked ass off the bench.

He no longer sucks ass off the bench.

Manu starts.

pache100
04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
The only reason Barry started last year was because he sucked ass off the bench.

He no longer sucks ass off the bench.

Manu starts.

That's very true. And starting positions are earned and should not have to be relinquished except in dire circumstances; the circumstances that existed just prior to the playoffs last year are obsolete now. Manu should not have to earn his starting spot again and again and again, over and over.

Manu starts! http://i2.tinypic.com/v8mqfn.gif

kskonn
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Also I saw a stat at the game last night that threw me. Barry has quietly moved up to the 6th spot in 3 point shooting in the NBA. Considering his percentage at the allstart break that means he must be the best, or close to the best 3 point shooter since the ASG.

Barry fits great with this team when he is being aggressive. I think we have seen that since the ASG. the game was close last night until barry and Finley re entered the game in the 2nd, they cam out firing and that opened the lane for Tony. Saying Barry sucks is completely wrong.

I agree with Chump. He has become a good bench player. Because of his new found confidence teams have to adjust when he comes on to the court. that is the whole reason we got him in the first place.

smeagol
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Manu = garbage player

MoSpur
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
This post had nothing to do with me thinking Manu stinks or that he has to earn his starting role. Just a thought. Barry has done good in filling in for Manu in the starting lineup. That's all. I think Manu coming off the bench for a few games in the playoffs will benefit Manu's health. He has been going back to the bench like every fifth game seems like.

aaronstampler
04-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I don't dislike the idea terribly, for one reason. I'm a big proponent of the theory that either Tim or Manu should be on the court at all times. As the current rotation stands, they are not, because Pop has Manu come out at the 6 min mark and Tim come out around 8 mins. So that means the last 4 mins of the 1st and 3rd, they're both on the bench. Not good.

If Pop redoes the rotation so that Timmy doesn't come out til the 10:30 mark or so, and that's when Manu checks back in, then he might as well start.

But really whatever. As long as the guy gets like 32 mpg in the playoffs, I'm good.