PDA

View Full Version : 21 Immigrants Fired After Missing Work for Rally

Mr. Peabody
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Would these people have fired for attending a rally to support the troops?

21 Immigrants Fired After Missing Work for Rally
By GRETCHEN RUETHLING
CHICAGO, April 11 — At least 21 Mexican immigrants have been fired from their jobs at a meatpacking company in Detroit for missing work to attend an immigration rights march last month, advocates said Tuesday.

"This to me sends a very strong message that if you try to defend your rights, there are going to be sanctions against you," said Elena Herrada, one of several advocates trying to organize a meeting with officials of the company, Wolverine Packing, in an effort to get some of the workers rehired.

The 21 workers were fired on March 28, a day after they attended a rally that the police said drew more than 20,000 people. It was one of at least five marches and rallies in major cities that day.

The Detroit affiliate of the Spanish-language television network Univision reported the firings last week.

In a statement, the general manager of Wolverine Packing, Jay Bonahoom, said a "small number" of the more than 350 employees at three plants in the Detroit area had requested permission to attend the march and had been allowed to miss work. Employees had been notified orally and by letters posted in the plants that they would be fired if they missed work without authorization, the statement said.

"Many of these issues are near and dear to our hearts and can have serious effects on our lives, but Wolverine cannot allow these issues to stop our business," Mr. Bonahoom said. "When a large number of employees leave on a particular day, we cannot service our customers, and this puts all of our jobs in jeopardy."

One fired worker, Minerva Ramirez, 31, a native of Mexico who worked for Wolverine for almost six years, said she had told her supervisor that she planned to go to the march. But the day after the rally, Ms. Ramirez said, she was barred from entering the plant and was not allowed to speak in her defense.

Ms. Ramirez said she hoped to return to her job as a meatpacker, which paid $10.35 an hour.

Edith Castillo, the executive director of Latin Americans for Social and Economic Development, a social services agency in Detroit, said she knew of a handful of employees at two other businesses who had been fired after attending the march.

"They were trying to exercise their right to protest, their right to have a voice," Ms. Castillo said. "I think we're going to see that this is just one incident of many civil rights violations that these workers have endured."

In Bellwood, Ill., 33 factory workers who had been fired after attending a rally in Chicago on March 10 were rehired when the Interfaith Workers' Rights Center intervened.

Alberto M. Benitez, a law professor and director of the immigration clinic at George Washington University's law school in Washington, said employers were dependent on labor by illegal workers who had little, if any, recourse if they were fired.

"There are two or three potential employees available for every one of these poor folks who were fired," he said. "It's better for everyone if there is a lawful protected class of workers and not this shadowy underground army of workers that are here today, gone tomorrow."

101A
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I fire people who don't come to work w/o a VALID reason; Illness, Death, etc...

You cannot run a business any other way.

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM

I agree.

DarkReign
04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Bu-bye...

No call, no show = fired

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:29 AM

but you do have to consider the costs associated with hiring 21 new employees. Training one new hire can be expensive.

DarkReign
04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
To pack meat?

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:32 AM
To pack meat?

To pack meat efficiently, yes. I'd imagine there's a process. But what do I know? I'm just some dude on some message board.

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
but you do have to consider the costs associated with hiring 21 new employees. Training one new hire can be expensive.
You also have to consider the effect on remaining employees if you just let people take off, without approval, for whatever reason they deem important to them.

I'd imagine that the 21 new hires will be advised by any remaining employees of what happened to those they replaced. Unexcused absences would probably drop dramatically.

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
You also have to consider the effect on remaining employees if you just let people take off, without approval, for whatever reason they deem important to them.

I'd imagine that the 21 new hires will be advised by any remaining employees of what happened to those they replaced. Unexcused absences would probably drop dramatically.

Except, there isn't a immigration rally every day I'd assume. It wasn't like they just decided to skip work for no reason. You think it was the equivalent of Senior skip-out day? :lol Grow up, dude. Are you still in high school? :lol :lol

PWN3ED!!!LOLZ!!!LOLLERSKATES!!!!

DarkReign
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Same here, just another dude.

But, uh, you know...there are machines that do that stuff these days.

21 employees, all making $10 an hour, working 40 hrs a week, 52 weeks a year with health insurance (quick math)

(10*40)*52 = A (A = $20,800)

x = average cost to employer for health insurance as a percentage of salary)

x~1.36

A*x = $28,288 total compensation of employer to employ

Now, multiply by 21 employees.

$594,048

I guarantee, my company can design, build, install and support a meat-packing machine for under $1 million. Thats 2 years salary which would pay for itself in 3 years.

Yup, give em the axe. Wolverine Packing officially thanks the Rally organizers for giving them a justified reason to fire these employees AND remand them from collecting unemployment (they had a no-call, no-show...Michigan law is voluntary employment, they elected to quit when they didnt show up).

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Except, there isn't a immigration rally every day I'd assume. It wasn't like they just decided to skip work for no reason. You think it was the equivalent of Senior skip-out day? :lol Grow up, dude. Are you still in high school? :lol :lol

PWN3ED!!!LOLZ!!!LOLLERSKATES!!!!
Next week it's an pro-choice rally. The next, universal health care rally... and on and on.

You must have forgotten this conversation began with Peabody wondering if they'd of been fired had they been attending a rally to support the troops.

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Same here, just another dude.

But, uh, you know...there are machines that do that stuff these days.

21 employees, all making $10 an hour, working 40 hrs a week, 52 weeks a year with health insurance (quick math)

(10*40)*52 = A (A = $20,800)

x = average cost to employer for health insurance as a percentage of salary)

x~1.36

A*x = $28,288 total compensation of employer to employ

Now, multiply by 21 employees.

$594,048

I guarantee, my company can design, build, install and support a meat-packing machine for under $1 million. Thats 2 years salary which would pay for itself in 3 years.

Yup, give em the axe. Wolverine Packing officially thanks the Rally organizers for giving them a justified reason to fire these employees AND remand them from collecting unemployment (they had a no-call, no-show...Michigan law is voluntary employment, they elected to quit when they didnt show up).

OMGZ!! Teh world is gonna be run by robotz!!!

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Next week it's an pro-choice rally. The next, universal health care rally... and on and on.

You must have forgotten this conversation began with Peabody wondering if they'd of been fired had they been attending a rally to support the troops.

Link?

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
OMGZ!! Teh world is gonna be run by robotz!!!
Nah, just the jobs the fucking illegals are doing.

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Link?
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=860956&posted=1#post860956

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Nah, just the jobs the fucking illegals are doing.

So robots are gonna cut my grass and wash my windows? You've seen the Jetsons too many times. PWN3D!!!

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 11:54 AM
So robots are gonna cut my grass and wash my windows? You've seen the Jetsons too many times. PWN3D!!!
Robotic Window Washer

http://www.arvirobots.com/news.html

Robotic Lawn Mower

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=2098902&web_id=2098902&sz=12&sf=HM&dept=HM0099&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&prev=hp!sf!dept&ocm=&kw=roboticlawnmower&sourceid=1GAIN&rdr=1&cm_mmc=PaidSearch*Google*hm*roboticlawnmower

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm so gonna buy this.

http://dyn-images.hsn.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/339155?$pd300$

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
lol at figuring those employees had health insurance.

MannyIsGod
04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
lol at figuring those employees had health insurance.Or that they made 10 dollars an hour.

Edit. N/M, I read it.

MannyIsGod
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm so gonna buy this.

http://dyn-images.hsn.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/339155?$pd300$You should name it Juan.

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
lol at figuring those employees had health insurance.
They do. It's called showing up at any government-run hospital insurance.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 12:17 PM
So isn't Wolverine just admitting they use illegals?

Shouldn't they be subject to $210,000 in fines - and open to felony prosecution if the new law is passed?

Yonivore
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
So isn't Wolverine just admitting they use illegals?

Shouldn't they be subject to $210,000 in fines - and open to felony prosecution if the new law is passed?
I don't think the article said they were illegal immigrants. They could have been here legally.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I suppose either is possible. They could just retaliate by narcing on the plant if they were illegal. Nothing will ever change as long as businesses and individuals keep hiring illegals.

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 12:26 PM
You should name it Juan.

after the guy who cuts my grass manually.

NASCARdad
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Good Riddance. Now maybe they'll take their asses back where they belong.

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Good Riddance. Now maybe they'll take their asses back where they belong.

Vashner has an alter.

DarkReign
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
NASCARdad...

That alone says it all.

Clandestino
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
obviously finding more mexicans is not a problem for wolverine.. otherwise they wouldn't have fired them so easily...

but, who cares, it is their business..let them run it as they see fit...

Oh, Gee!!
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
obviously finding more mexicans is not a problem for wolverine.. otherwise they wouldn't have fired them so easily...

but, who cares, it is their business..let them run it as they see fit...

if we all minded our own business, this message board would cease to exist

NASCARdad
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
NASCARdad...

That alone says it all.

Damn right. I'm a true American who believes in the law and not amnesty for those who break it and then want the same rights as us legal Americans. Go wave that Mexican flag south of the border and you'll have no problem with me.

101A
04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
My wife has a robotic....oh nevermind.

DarkReign
04-12-2006, 01:50 PM
with as thick a southern drawl as you could imagine, at once, the bible belt yelled in unison....

NASCAR! (http://www.logusz.com/~yupislyr/3/nascarwine.wav)