PDA

View Full Version : It's Not a Good Day To Be a Seal

Solid D
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/04/12/seal.hunt.ap/index.html

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/americas/03/25/seal.hunt.ap/story.seal.ap.jpg

Seal hunters expected to kill 234,000 Wednesday

Wednesday, April 12, 2006; Posted: 3:16 p.m. EDT (19:16 GMT)
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/americas/04/12/seal.hunt.ap/vert.seals.afp.gi.jpg
Demonstrators oppose the Canadian seal hunt during a March protest

ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland (AP) -- The final leg of Canada's contentious seal hunt moved to the ice floes off northeastern Newfoundland and Labrador on Wednesday, with sealers expected to slaughter another 234,000 harp seal pups in just one day.

International animal-rights activists will be present to document the final phase of the annual cull, which the Canadian government insists is humane and sustainable, with a healthy population of more than 6 million harp seals.

One of the most prominent animal-rights activists, Rebecca Aldworth of the Humane Society of the United States, will not be on the ice, however, as the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has accused her of disturbing the hunt and declined to issue her an observation permit.

"It's unthinkable that so many animals will die a horrific death in such a short space of time," Aldworth said in a news release.

She and two other HSUS observers were accused last month of coming within a 10-meter (33-foot) buffer zone between their inflatable boat and a sealing vessel, a claim she denies.

Hunters have taken their quota of 91,000 seals in the Gulf of St. Lawrence hunt, which ended last week.

"People were apprehensive about the ice in the gulf, but it was a very good year and the quotas were caught very fast," said Roger Simon, spokesman for the federal Fisheries Department.

Fisheries officials said between 200 and 300 fishing boats had set sail from northeastern Newfoundland and Labrador for the last installment of the hunt.

The hunters will kill and skin as many of the seals as they can Wednesday. There will be no hunting Thursday, while fisheries officials count the pelts to see if the quota has been met. The hunt will resume Friday if the quota has not been reached.

Protesters with the International Fund for Animal Welfare said they would photograph the slaughter from a helicopter, using scenes of carnage to promote a ban on Canadian seal products.

"If we can stop the markets for seal products, hopefully, we can reduce the number of seals being killed," said Sheryl Fink, a spokeswoman for the IFAW.

Canada's biggest market for seal pelts always has been, and remains, Norway.

The commercial seal hunt in Atlantic Canada in 2005 created more than $14.4 million for the isolated fishing communities in the Canadian Maritimes.

Newfoundland sealer Mark Small said that contrary to what hunt opponents are saying, the market for seal products is strong and growing.

"It's a great success story," he said of the seal industry.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

midgetonadonkey
04-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Crazy Ernie from UHF: If nobody comes down here and buys a car in the next hour, I'm gonna club this baby seal. That's right. I'm gonna club this seal to make a better deal. You know I'll do it, to, cause I'm crazy.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Speak for yourself, my man.

http://bestweekever.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/seal_and_heidi.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Mmmm. . .country fried seal.

Solid D
04-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Going out clubbing and getting hammered has a different connotation in the seal world.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2006, 05:36 PM
:lol Nice.

Solid D
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I just noticed...

I posted this in "The Club". :depressed

T Park
04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
fucking animals.

T-Pain
04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
is it "hell week" in Navy SEALs training?

T Park
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Absolutely disgusting something like this happens now a days.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2006, 11:09 PM
fucking animals.

Absolutely disgusting something like this happens now a days.

:lol At first I thought you were talking about the seals.

Mijo
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm an avid hunter as well but is this about controlling the seal population or about making cash of the pelt?

E20
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Why the fuck would you do this to some poor defenseless seals??
It boggles my MIND to the fullest. The only words that come to my mind are: COMPLETE MORONS

T-Pain
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
:lol At first I thought you were talking about the seals.
i thought so too

T Park
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
is this about controlling the seal population or about making cash of the pelt

this is old fashioned poaching.

Just made cool by clubbing defensless baby seals.

It makes me want to bawl my eyes out and be sick all at the same time.

T-Pain
04-13-2006, 12:06 AM
they make womens (and i guess some mens) cosmetics out of seals right?

Vashner
04-13-2006, 12:18 AM
They said the numbers are up. It's monitored hunt.

Hey look it's Jolie and Pitt flying in on a sea plane... they are saving teh seals.. .. omg hold on.. im gonna cry..

Where's that tissue.

Edit idea: Seals In a PLANE

OmFG we got mfukn Seals in the plane!

Starring: Angelina Jolie-Pitt as the Seal Avenger
Samuel L Jackson as Seal hunt administrator

T Park
04-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Let me guess Vashner, you support killing baby seals.

Innocent harmless baby seals.

Nice....

Buddy Holly
04-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Let me guess Vashner, you support killing baby seals.

Innocent harmless baby seals.

Nice....

I'm sure you eat, right?

Chicken, burgers, hot wings, eggs, etc.

Right?

Nice....

T Park
04-13-2006, 01:13 AM
WTF.

Burgers and chicken are totally different than defenseless seals.

Cows and chickens are raised for that specific purpose.

Seals are wild animals that did nothing to deserve this cruel action.

God Holly, grow a fucking heart.

Jekka
04-13-2006, 01:21 AM
WTF.

Burgers and chicken are totally different than defenseless seals.

Cows and chickens are raised for that specific purpose.

Seals are wild animals that did nothing to deserve this cruel action.

God Holly, grow a fucking heart.

Do cows and chickens have some kind of defense mechanism of which I'm not aware? When was the last time you got gored by a chicken?

I support the right of the native peoples to kill seals - it's been part of their diet and tradition for tens of thousands of years, but commercially I think it's pretty shitty. However, as long as the seals aren't endangered I don't really see how it's all that different from killing other animals for commercial purposes.

T Park
04-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Do cows and chickens have some kind of defense mechanism of which I'm not aware? When was the last time you got gored by a chicken?

Seals, the last I checked, werent brought up to be food, or raised and farmed, like cows and chickens, hence the reason I say they are different.

However, as long as the seals aren't endangered I don't really see how it's all that different from killing other animals for commercial purposes.

You don't see the difference in killing a baby seal, and a cow?!??!

MannyIsGod
04-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Seals, the last I checked, werent brought up to be food, or raised and farmed, like cows and chickens, hence the reason I say they are different.

You don't see the difference in killing a baby seal, and a cow?!??!Oh I see a difference, and you're just lucky that GoN isn't the one responding to this because he could probably write a hell of a lot more than I could.

Do you understand the lives that chickens and cows that are raised for food go through? Its not pretty and it is sure as hell a lot more disgusting and inhumane than anything that is happening to those seals.

The food chain is what it is, but I have no idea why you see seal hunting as something worse than any other form of hunting.

Solid D
04-13-2006, 01:57 AM
There's just something oddly holocaustic about offing a quarter mil of anything in one day.

kris
04-13-2006, 03:10 AM
I feel sorry for animals. Seals, Cows, Chickens, Gooses - every last one of them. Well, not snakes. They are evil.

Poor animals. I wish I could crusade for them, but it's a conflict of interest since they taste good. Unlike those other guys, I don't have any speciesism, I feel for them all equally.

MannyIsGod
04-13-2006, 04:25 AM
:lol

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2006, 09:07 AM
And todays not a good day to be a Canadian Fishery official...

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,128,19,2 0,21,22,23,24,25, 26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42 ,43,44,45,46,47

*digging through pile of dead seals*
*losing track*
65? 62?
FUCK!

:lol

pache100
04-13-2006, 09:22 AM

It makes me cry every year. And they claim to be civilized. I think not. If they were, they would not allow this travesty.

they make womens (and i guess some mens) cosmetics out of seals right?

Not anything that I use. You can avoid it if you care. If enough people cared (and avoided using products with seal blubber or by-product ingredients), this barbaric practice would stop.

kris
04-13-2006, 09:31 AM

I want to ball til I fall.

Sec24Row7
04-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Getting clubbed on the head or shot with a 22 is a hell of a lot better death than getting bitten in half by an Orca or clawed to death by a Polar Bear.

probably half again as many die that way.

If you don't want to be a member of the food chain... then leave it.

Simple.

They probably all have personalities about like your dog. I know deer have awesome distinct personalities. I watch them for sometimes 5 years before I take hunters to go shoot them.

You either accept your role as dominant species on the planet or you don't.

No one ever said being on top was easy, but it is one HELL of a lot easier not having to look over your shoulder every 5 seconds to see if something is creeping up on you that wants to eat you.

Our distant ancestors had to go through that every day for millions of years. You are discracing their sacrifices and accomplishments by being overly sympathetic to baby seals.

:angel

valluco
04-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Did our distant ancestors club baby seals so that rich people can wear stylish fur coats? Probably not. They hunted out of necessity to survive. Sure there was trade but this is about $$$ not survival. BIG DIFFERENCE. And yes I'm a hunter too, but this is a sad situation in my opinion. Oh yeah and snakes aren't evil Kris, well maybe this one is evil snake (http://media.putfile.com/My-Evil-Snake)

CavsSuperFan
04-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Everyone should be enlighten like Pamela Anderson and Barbara Streisand and impose their will on people through out the world....In California Seals and Seal Lions are a protected species where they are allowed to endanger the salmon and trout stocks in coastal Washington, Oregon and California...

California sea lions are also free to prey on endangered fish species... The sea lions are also allowed to overpopulate and allowed to pose a threat to public safety and property at locations such as docks and marinas...Everyone should be like Californians (http://z.about.com/d/gosanfrancisco/1/0/U/2/Pier39SeaLions-1.jpg)... :smokin

Clandestino
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
i bet someone eats the rest of the seal or something is made out of it...

Spurminator
04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
But they're SOO CUTE!!

Not like those yucky cows. They smell and they poop everywhere.

pache100
04-13-2006, 01:35 PM
i bet someone eats the rest of the seal or something is made out of it...

No, many of them are skinned alive and left on the ice; it's a barbaric practice. No amount of gloss is going to make it ok.

SpursWoman
04-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Poor animals. I wish I could crusade for them, but it's a conflict of interest since they taste good.

:lmao

Solid D
04-13-2006, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=kris]Poor animals. I wish I could crusade for them, but it's a conflict of interest since they taste good.QUOTE]

:spin Yeah, there's nothing better than a good seal steak and some chianti.

vfuvfuvfuvfuvfu

:rolleyes

kris
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Did our distant ancestors club baby seals so that rich people can wear stylish fur coats? Probably not. They hunted out of necessity to survive. Sure there was trade but this is about $$$ not survival. BIG DIFFERENCE. And yes I'm a hunter too, but this is a sad situation in my opinion. Oh yeah and snakes aren't evil Kris, well maybe this one is evil snake (http://media.putfile.com/My-Evil-Snake)

That poor pig. That was disgusting, I couldn't even watch it all.

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=kris]Poor animals. I wish I could crusade for them, but it's a conflict of interest since they taste good.QUOTE]

:spin Yeah, there's nothing better than a good seal steak and some chianti.

vfuvfuvfuvfuvfu

:rolleyes

Yeah...I hear they taste kind of like chicken. Might wanna go with a Pinot...