PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana

Amuseddaysleeper
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
What is this board's general consensus of this band?

MannyIsWrong
04-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Nirvana is one of the greatest bands ever.

midgetonadonkey
04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Nirvana is overrated simply because Cobain is dead. Sure they changed the music scene, but so did the little fuckers Hanson by bringing back pop music in the late 90's and they are far from great.

CosmicCowboy
04-12-2006, 04:29 PM
they make me want to eat a shotgun.

chode_regulator
04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
ehhh...try doinga simple search

midgetonadonkey
04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Chode Regulator hates when people make pointless threads.

slayermin
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
They were better than Pearl Jam.

timvp
04-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Most people here love them.

:sleep

Horry For 3!
04-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I like most of their songs

Vashner
04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Good band.. Poor C H O I CE (crazy bitch .. the wife).

Amuseddaysleeper
04-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok i did a search and saw some prior Nirvana threads (this is my first time posting in the club as i usually just surf around the spurs section) and its good to see that band get some love around here. However that one thread about foo fighters being better than Nirvana has to be the most ridiculous question in history. I was amazed people took it seriously. Grohl should stick to the drums though I did like "Everlong"

atxrocker
04-12-2006, 10:29 PM
^^everlong and monkeywrench are foos best songs. grohl is a talented drummer

as for nirvana, i still like the band. they really did change the music scene and had some really good stuff. i still find myself rocking out to some of their shit.

samikeyp
04-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I liked Nirvana. I didn't get the whole "Kurt Cobain, twisted genius" thing though.

T Park
04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
They were better than Pearl Jam

I STRONGLY disagree.

I didn't get the whole "Kurt Cobain, twisted genius" thing though.

agreed, I didnt get the whole wear the T Shirt of his head and what not....

Spurminator
04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Historically significant, musically mediocre.

T Park
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
^^^ Yeah pretty much right on.

Vashner
04-13-2006, 12:21 AM
This is deja vu? Didn't we just trash Courtney Drugs.. I mean love?

danyel
04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Great band, changed the music scene, defined a decade in music...

danyel
04-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Historically significant, musically mediocre.

That could be said about a lot of meaningful bands, like the ramones for example...

SequSpur
04-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I was never a big Nirvana fan, but they were a big part of rock in the 80s and whenever their songs are played on the radio, still today, they kick ass.

Melmart1
04-13-2006, 12:51 AM
I think you mean 90s, yes?

TOP-CHERRY
04-13-2006, 12:52 AM
hahaha

SequSpur
04-13-2006, 12:52 AM
I think you mean 90s, yes?

Nirvana started in the 80s, along with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. The Seattle movement.

Melmart1
04-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah, but they werent on the radio really till the 90s. So I get your point now, guess I just misunderstood you.

CharlieMac
04-13-2006, 01:02 AM
True story, Dave has a better voice.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 01:41 AM
True story, Dave has a better voice.

uhhh go listen to Nirvana Unplugged than talk to me about Dave's voice being better than Cobains. Dave was probably a better musician from a technical standpoint as he was much better on his instrument than kurt was on his, but in terms of songwriting Cobain blows Grohl out of the water. not just musically but lyrically as well

the reason i bring this band up is that when I was 12 "Smells like Teen Spirit" really changed my life in that it was the first song that really got me excited. 10 years on Nirvana is still my favorite band of all time (even though I haven't listened to them in forever) and although i am aware there were definitely better bands out there than Nirvana none of them affected me the way they did. I work at a record store when I'm not in film school and I find this generation doesn't appreciate Nirvana. They mostly find the band to be overrated. Now I don't expect everyone to like Nirvana but when these kids slag Nirvana and then buy some dumb emo band record (My Chemical Romance, Atreyu, Fall Out Boy), thats just ridiculous. I also find since Nirvana music hasn't changed much in terms of rock. Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd and all that junk is just Nirvana rip offs.

slayermin
04-13-2006, 02:52 AM
I STRONGLY disagree.

I liked Nirvana better because they were heavier and faster.

aaronstampler
04-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Good band, some nice songs, but they couldn't hold The Cure's guitar pick.

2 points about Kobain.

1. I almost never understood anything he said in his songs. And I don't mean metaphorically or whatever, like I didn't get the poetry. I literally couldn't make out any of his words.

2. He killed himself. I don't respect people who do that. Just my deal.

chode_regulator
04-13-2006, 04:51 AM
:elephant

CharlieMac
04-13-2006, 07:51 AM
uhhh go listen to Nirvana Unplugged than talk to me about Dave's voice being better than Cobains. Dave was probably a better musician from a technical standpoint as he was much better on his instrument than kurt was on his, but in terms of songwriting Cobain blows Grohl out of the water. not just musically but lyrically as well

the reason i bring this band up is that when I was 12 "Smells like Teen Spirit" really changed my life in that it was the first song that really got me excited. 10 years on Nirvana is still my favorite band of all time (even though I haven't listened to them in forever) and although i am aware there were definitely better bands out there than Nirvana none of them affected me the way they did. I work at a record store when I'm not in film school and I find this generation doesn't appreciate Nirvana. They mostly find the band to be overrated. Now I don't expect everyone to like Nirvana but when these kids slag Nirvana and then buy some dumb emo band record (My Chemical Romance, Atreyu, Fall Out Boy), thats just ridiculous. I also find since Nirvana music hasn't changed much in terms of rock. Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd and all that junk is just Nirvana rip offs.

Yeah dude, I didn't seeing the "Go listen to Unplugged argument" coming from a mile away. You probably think Bleach is great too.

I don't think Kurt's voice was bad, but just because he sang a Meat Puppet and David Bowie song on a stool once doesn't mean he was the most vocally diverse musician in history. Actually, now that I think about, that Ledbelly cover is probably their best song.

But Dave has done a lot more since he isn't dead and all to convince me his voice is better. I don't disagree with you, but when I hear songs like Opinions, Here She Comes Down Now, it reminds me that Kurt's voice wasn't all that at times.

I've never been a big lyrics person, so maybe he wrote better songs than Dave. Although, I don't think Tourette's had much going for it lyrically, but then again, neither does The Colour and the Shape song and For All the Cows.

I was never a big fan of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Hell niether was Kurt, especially when I think about how hilarious that Top of the Pops performance was. I was really, and I mean REALLY into in Utero. If that heavier direction was the way the band was heading in, we missed out on some great music. The bass was deep and menacing, the drums were getting the shit beat out of them in every song.......it's actually kind of arousing me. Actually, Kurt was a good drummer too.

You know what, this is stupid, I always make fun of those emo homos that I overhear arguing about music, and I told myself I'd never do that. If you think Kurt's voice was better, that's cool, I can dig that. Let's just agree to hate shit like Fall out Boy. Besides, Maladroit was way better than the Blue Album. :smokin :lol

leemajors
04-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Good band, some nice songs, but they couldn't hold The Cure's guitar pick.

2 points about Kobain.

1. I almost never understood anything he said in his songs. And I don't mean metaphorically or whatever, like I didn't get the poetry. I literally couldn't make out any of his words.

2. He killed himself. I don't respect people who do that. Just my deal.

you should check the documentary kurt and courtney, it raises some interesting questions about his "suicide."

Spurminator
04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
That could be said about a lot of meaningful bands, like the ramones for example...

I wouldn't give the Ramones that much credit musically.

At the same time, though, they were before my time so I probably don't have an appreciation for their influence. With Nirvana, I lived through it... I watched MTV when "Cherry Pie" gave way to "Jeremy," and I was listening to a Top 40 station when "Rush Rush" was followed by "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

leemajors
04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
music doesn't need to be complicted to be revolutionary, and good voices are waaaaay overrated and a dime a dozen. neil yound bob dylan come to mind.

CharlieMac
04-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't give the Ramones that much credit musically.

At the same time, though, they were before my time so I probably don't have an appreciation for their influence. With Nirvana, I lived through it... I watched MTV when "Cherry Pie" gave way to "Jeremy," and I was listening to a Top 40 station when "Rush Rush" was followed by "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Rush, Rush was a good song back when I was a like 12. Paula Abdul made with the hits.

Spurminator
04-13-2006, 01:24 PM
One of Keanu Reeves' finest acting moments.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
haha Eriks I'm with you on the hating Fall out Boy comment! I can't wait for that emo phase to end! :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 01:43 PM
also i can enjoy bleach for what it is, but unlike most hardcore fans, I dont worship the record, its just decent for what it is. I dont even think Cobain had one of the 10 best voices of the 90's, hell, have you guys heard Jeff Buckley sing!! i mean wow, but I just think in terms of the Foo Fighters they are so ridicuously bland. That double record was just 2 boring typical foo fighter records slapped together. the guy has trouble writing one consistent album i have no idea why the hel he's atempting to write two at the same time. granted this is all my opinion, and some people may find Nirvana bland. but for all the talk of him being a crappy guitarist, or overrated, I have yet to find anyone who can write better songs than him using such simplistic methods and having the songs still hold up. most bands to me that are simplistic get old really fast like Green Day. also in regards to the Cure as someone said earlier, I said myself, Nirvana may be my favorite band, but I know enough about music to know that there were definitely better bands out there. But the Smiths >>>>>>>>>>>> Cure but that's not what the argument is about. and i apologize if there have been a ton of Nirvana threads lately, as I said, this is my first time in the Club as I always hang around the Spurs section.

Medvedenko
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
The reason Nirvana's great is that we're still talking about it.....
Oh, and I've always like Alice in Chains better.

tlongII
04-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Nirvana started in the 80s, along with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. The Seattle movement.

That was a great time to go clubbing in Seattle!

http://basketballboards.net/forum/images/smilies/djparty.gif

TheTruth
04-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Nirvana = Bad Ass

Cobain = Genius

Grohl = The man

leemajors
04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
The reason Nirvana's great is that we're still talking about it.....
Oh, and I've always like Alice in Chains better.

alice in chains = badass.

i don't know what's worse though. blowing your head off with a shotgun or rotting to death in your apartment.

CharlieMac
04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
alice in chains = badass.

i don't know what's worse though. blowing your head off with a shotgun or rotting to death in your apartment.

Both.