PDA

View Full Version : Tau, Scola Return to Euroleague Final Four

Solid D
04-12-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/

Scola 3 points, 11 rebounds in 31 minutes...but Turkish guard Serkan Erdogan blows up.

Quarterfinal Playoffs: Game 3
Tau returns to the Final Four!

Erdogan, Tau to Final Four

Tau Ceramica is back in the Final Four to fight for the Euroleague title! Tau made it to its second consecutive Final Four by downing Panathinaikos 71-74 in front of a sellout crowd of 18,000 in OAKA Olympic Stadium in Athens, Greece in dramatic fashion! Tau became the second team to reach the Final Four, as CSKA had qualified last week by sweeping its series against Efes Pilsen. Serkan Erdogan led the winners with 24 points in a game that became an instant classic in Euroleague Basketball history. He had 13 in the second quarter to keep Tau ahead, 35-42, at halftime, and then hit 4 of 4 free throws in the final 50 seconds to seal the upset! Pablo Prigioni had 12 points, including a critical five-meter jumper with 17.6 seconds to go. Vassilis Spanoulis had 16 points off the bench for Panathinaikos. Tau Ceramica won the series 1-2, registered just the second road win in this year's Quarterfinals Playoff and advanced to the Final Four in Prague, to be played April 28 to 30.

Video HIGHLIGHTS
Panathinaikos vs. Tau

The do-or-die showdowns will continue tomorrow with four more teams looking for a Final Four spot. Maccabi Elite welcomes Olympiacos at 20:00 CET, as Maccabi will try to make it to Prague in order to defend its Euroleague title while Olympiacos will look for its first Final Four appearance since 1999. Last but not least, Real Madrid visits archrivals Winterthur FCB at 20:45 CET also on Thursday, in yet another make-or-break, highly anticipated superclassic. Be sure to follow the drama and get to know first who makes it to the Final Four live on Euroleague.net!

Sportman
04-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Scola didnt have good numbers but that doesnt show how he played. He was defended very well by panathinaikos and he played a great defense.

Solid D
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Sportman! Anything further details are welcome.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
He was also in foul trouble for some periods of the game. His role was limited to set screens, play defense, pull down boards (11), and kick out to shooters (4ast).

Oh, and dear Slovenian friends... Prigioni pwn3d Lakovic! :smokin

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34213&page=2&pp=26&highlight=Lakovic

Brutalis
04-12-2006, 05:35 PM
who thinks we'll even get scola?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Prigioni was the key, he played awesome defense, and totally controlled the game flow. He hit two key baskets (a three pointer and a layup), gave an assist, and made a steal in the last two minutes.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2006, 05:51 PM
who thinks we'll even get scola?If his buyout is now as low as recently was reported, chances are pretty good.

spurschick
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Maccabi was awesome last year. Without Jasikevicius, don't know how they'll do in the finals.

Personally, I'd love to get Scola and then make a trade for Arvydas Macijauskas.

Pero
04-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Oh, and dear Slovenian friends... Prigioni pwn3d Lakovic!

No problem, Lakovic got owned by Prigioni, Scola got owned by Smodis. :)

T Park
04-13-2006, 01:02 AM
if Scola can bring over that great O, with that rebounding (did that say 11??!?!) Id be all for bringing him over.

As long as that buy out is as cheap as it says.

Solid D
04-13-2006, 01:12 AM
If Scola led his team in minutes-played with 31 minutes in a 40 minute game, he was probably helping his team in other ways. It sounded like good ball movement was a key to the victory for Tau.

zeleni
04-13-2006, 01:26 AM
If Scola led his team in minutes-played with 31 minutes in a 40 minute game, he was probably helping his team in other ways. It sounded like good ball movement was a key to the victory for Tau.

well, not really.

Tau won the game with rebounds only. Scola was a big factor...Mike Batiste and Alvertis did not do their part.

Prigioni didn't pwned no one. Well, maybe Diamantidis. Kudos to Argies, they played a good game and deserved the Final4.

Solid D
04-13-2006, 01:39 AM
well, not really.

Tau won the game with rebounds only. Scola was a big factor...Mike Batiste and Alvertis did not do their part.

Prigioni didn't pwned no one. Well, maybe Diamantidis. Kudos to Argies, they played a good game and deserved the Final4.

Yeah, I saw the game report and Tau's rebounding helped them. I guess I was going off of Hanson's quote about ball distribution. Thanks for the insight.

There is only 1 Argie on Tau, correct?

Ariel
04-13-2006, 02:35 AM
There is only 1 Argie on Tau, correct?Nope, there are two: Luis Scola and Pablo Prigioni.

Solid D
04-13-2006, 09:46 AM
:tu

Vingianx
04-13-2006, 01:15 PM
He was also in foul trouble for some periods of the game. His role was limited to set screens, play defense, pull down boards (11), and kick out to shooters (4ast).

Oh, and dear Slovenian friends... Prigioni pwn3d Lakovic! :smokin

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34213&page=2&pp=26&highlight=Lakovic

how were you able to paste your playlist on here, i thought it didn't let u paste html

zeleni
04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
It is too bad...

We could have 3 Slovenes in the Final4...
Now we only have 2...
The same number as Argentina, Greece, Croatia and Serbia&Montenegro.

The most players come from Spain.
This will one hell of event!¨

zeleni
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
qualified for F4:

Tau Ceramica (Prigioni+Scola-ARG)
CSKA Moscow (Smodis-SLO)
Barcelona (FUtchka-SLO)
Maccabi

No one from France. I do not know if you Americans are interested in Anthony Parker of USofA.

zeleni
04-15-2006, 08:37 AM
It is too bad...

We could have 3 Slovenes in the Final4...
Now we only have 2...
The same number as Argentina, Greece, Croatia and Serbia&Montenegro.

The most players come from Spain.
This will one hell of event!¨

Semifinal B
Maccabi Elite vs Tau Ceramica
28 April 17:30

Semifinal A
Winterthur FCB vs CSKA Moscow
28 April 20:30

zeleni
04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
It's tomorrow... before Game 3!

RobinsontoDuncan
04-27-2006, 11:50 AM
what is his buyout right now?

Personally, I'd love to get Scola and then make a trade for Arvydas Macijauskas.

Yes.

SlovenianGuy
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Maccabi vs. Tau

At halftime Maccabi leads by 19 (51:32)

Scola playing well, 9 PTS (4/9 FG, 1/4 FT), 7 RBD (5 OFF), 2 assists

But I really don't know why the Argentinian fans on this board are praising Prigioni so much.

0 PTS, 0 ASS, 0 RB, 3 TO in 17 minutes

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Yikes, thats Beno Udrih numbers right there.

T Park
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Looks like Tau is going home early.

What, the additions of Casey Jacobsen, and Pedreg Drobnjak haven't helped?

Im shocked.

boutons_
04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Tau is getting embarrassed. 66 - 37. Did Tau party all night?

boutons_
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Great up-and-under move and And1 by Luis.

come on, Luis, you're donw only 32 points! make a run! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Solid D
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
If Luis doesn't do that well in this game, perhaps he slips a bit in Tau mgmt.'s eyes. Any disfavor or devaluation would be a good thing for the Spurs this summer.

T Park
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
His slippage and disfavor in Tau's eyes, could go the same way with the Spurs too Solid.

Solid D
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe, but losses can be an emotional thing for team mgmt and fans. Pop said the other day on the Pop Show that they would make another run at Luis this summer and see if they can get a better buy-out scenario.

velik_m
04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
lets hope CSKA (Smodis) does better. Maccabi has many fans in Prague. It's almost HCA.

sendman
04-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I will get an earfull from argentinian homies, but it must be said. Luis Scola and his team got scooled so hard that they are still looking for an exit out of the building. That was nasty. Luis looked scared, even missed an easy layup at the begining of the 4th Q. A lot of his points and rebounds came when it was all over (+30 for Maccabi). Not a good sign for SA future plans with him.

Solid D
04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I guess Luis got the memo from Presti. :lol

Sportman
04-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Tau played awful.

sendman
04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Baston, Vujcic and Parker dominated from the start. They blocked everything in sight. Parker is the best player in Europe at the moment hands down. He is too good for Euroleague.

Solid D
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I haven't seen Anthony play much this year but he really reminds me a lot of Antonio Daniels. A combo guard. Playing at the A level on some great teams in Europe has really improved his game.

Sportman
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
I haven't seen Anthony play much this year but he really reminds me a lot of Antonio Daniels

Yes i agree totally with this statement, and you just show me that because i didnt realize it until i read your post.

Solid D
04-28-2006, 12:51 PM
:tu

What were Parker's stats for the game?

T Park
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Maybe the Spurs oughtta take a run at Anthony Parker.

zeleni
04-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Hoping now a game between two Slovenian legends...

Matjaz Smodis and Gregor Fuchka... Let the best guy demolish Maccabi. :D

Smodis played the last time when Maccabi killed the Bologna club. Now an Italian coach with Smodis can return the favor. Maccabi without Jasikevicius is just not the same club.

zeleni
04-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe the Spurs oughtta take a run at Anthony Parker.

He would be an ideal guy for the Mavs. But not for the Spurs...no defense. Sorry.

Brutalis
04-28-2006, 01:09 PM
And the % chance they will be a Spur?

WalterBenitez
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Scola with 3pt you said!? :oops come on at least 15pt or they were replayin' the same basket!?? :lol

BTW, those kids from Maccabi are amazing they destroyed TAU ...

T Park
04-28-2006, 01:29 PM
He would be an ideal guy for the Mavs. But not for the Spurs...no defense. Sorry

Like,

Dirk Nowitzki no D, or Michael Finley no D.

Cause D can be taught

IE

Brent Barry, Finley, Stephen Jackson

picnroll
04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Didn't see the game but read where Tiago Splitter injured his arm or shoulder. Anything serious?

WalterBenitez
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Didn't see the game but read where Tiago Splitter injured his arm or shoulder. Anything serious?

Poor guy, I really liked him, ... he didn't returned to play, reporters didn't say anything about, but he looked very bad.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Wow, what a beating. Maccabi was on their day, and Tau played probably their worst game of the season.

First, amazing game by Maccabi. They ran their pick'n'roll offense very well, openning the paint for layups, and they hit absolutely everything in the first three quarters. They played a near perfect game in offense, and hit some lucky shots too. They hit 67% of their 2 point field goals, Baston set a record of blocks for a final four game.

But, I must say, this game was decided by the coaches. Pini Gershon has clearly been watching Tau for a long time, he set a defense focused on stopping Prigioni. They marked Prigioni very well, and left the rest of the team to play 4 on 4, or even 3 on 4 sometimes. Prigioni failed to break those traps, or execute good pick'n'rolls, and when he is off, the entire Tau offense is. The ball didn't go into the paint, and this was even worse when Splitter got injured, because he is very good fighting for second chance opportunities. Scola didn't get the ball enough, but he fought a lot and showed heart, along with Travis Hansen, the rest of the team almost dissapeared, and only bricked three pointers.

On the other hand, Perasovic failed to communicate a plan B, when he saw that his initial game plan wasn't going to work. Ukic didn't bring anything different, and he left him from the 3rd. quarter until the end of the game.

Anyway, a very bad day at the office for Tau, that's all.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Some issues:

- Splitter's injury looks bad. He didn't return to play and had ice on his shoulder.

- Scola ended the game with 17 points (8/15), 11 rebounds (7 offensive), 5 assists, 1 steal and 2 turnovers.

T Park
04-28-2006, 02:02 PM
17 11 5 assists

Ill take that.

Manu

since you seem to have watched alot of Scola's games this year, has he imrpoved his rebounding?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
17 11 5 assists

Ill take that.

Manu

since you seem to have watched alot of Scola's games this year, has he imrpoved his rebounding?

A bit. He has improved his box out when defending, and is more aggressive when in offense looking for the missed shots. The thing is that Tau now has other players to do the dirty job around him, like Splitter, Drobjnak, David. So his rebounding numbers haven't gone up dramatically, but his positioning has.

spurschick
04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
This second game seems to be a bit more competitive. I agree that Tau had an off day, but Maccabi looks as good as they did last year.

zeleni
04-28-2006, 05:16 PM
This second game seems to be a bit more competitive. I agree that Tau had an off day, but Maccabi looks as good as they did last year.

Maccabi has an offensive machine, that crumbles a naive team or individual efforts. Prigioni as a foundation after Ukic got sidelined was never enough for a title, not even against the Panathinaikos, but there Tau got saved on rebounds Scola grabed. Obradovic, coach, showed an open wound, and Israelis just sprayed a little salt all over it---and Tau died a horrible death. Argentina was simply not enough to hold the team together.

Scola is one hell of a player and no one will lower his price unless he has a safety plan well construed.

The fight of Slovenes was a great one.
CSKA won with Smodis being clutch. He got 17pt and 12 rb and played superbly against his fellow Fuchka with 2pt 10 rb and 5 blks.

With this game CSKA is qualified to play against the Spurs in Cologne tournament.

Here are the quotes:

CSKA Moscow forward Matjaz Smodis
"It's a great thing, especially breaking the spell. I think everyone is relaxed now. We were under pressure because of that fact, and I think that's why we started out playing bad in the first half. But then we started picking up our defense, making them take tough shots, and I think basically it was defense that brought us to the final. I think everyone is kind of proud, and we can celebrate tonight, but tomorrow is another day and we have to get ready for the final on Sunday."
"We knew we were not playing our best game, especially on defense. We know that if our defense is good, our offense will come, but if we ain't got no defense, we have a tough time scoring on offense. We knew that if we somehow hanged in there, we could turn this thing around. That's exactly what happened. We got a few stops, forced them to take tough shots, rebounded well and got a few fastbreaks, and that kind of broke the game."
"When they played the small lineup we had a little advantage in size with me inside. That was the objective, to throw the ball inside and look for shots outside or play one-on-one. We also suffered a lot their pick-and-roll from the very beginning. We did a great job at the end, and that's what counts."
"Maccabi is a good team, a great team, and they showed it in the first game. But I think we have our chances. If we manage to play defense for 40 minutes, and manage to contain their offense, I think we have a chance. Especially for me it's a little bit more important, since I still hold the minus-44 record from the last time I faced them in the 2004 final. At least I want to make a little better impression this time."

CSKA Moscow head coach Ettore Messina
“It was a tough game for us. Even when we were down by 10 in the second quarter, we just kept playing because we believed in ourselves. We kept doing our job and in the end we found our chemistry. It was hard because Barcelona has more players than us and we had to find another way. But we did it, it was hard but we are happy. My players played with great confidence and weren't afraid of losing even when we were down 12 or 13. We had the great combination of offense and defense in the fourth quarter that we needed. The technical foul on Fucka and the triples by Langdon were the turning points in the game. When we were down 12, I think that the same referees were at the game as were in the end. You must respect your opponents whether you win or lose. I am disappointed to hear that Dusko would speak of a plot against him. He must have changed since he coached at TAU. We have a great deal of respect for Maccabi, but we'll do what we need to be successful. We need to do better against Maccabi than we did tonight. Six assists in the whole game will not be enough. After the way Maccabi played tonight, we know that no one in the building will put even one Euro on CSKA winning on Sunday. Smodis is one of those players who something good happens everywhere he goes. I'm happy already because we already got a chance to play in the NBA Europe tournament in Cologne. I might get a chance to coach against my young boys Manu Ginobili and Nesterovic.”

picnroll
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I think I've heard about two thousand variations on his actual contract. Is Scola's contract one or two more years or is it a complete mystery?

ploto
04-28-2006, 05:25 PM
CSKA Moscow head coach Ettore Messina
I'm happy already because we already got a chance to play in the NBA Europe tournament in Cologne. I might get a chance to coach against my young boys Manu Ginobili and Nesterovic."
Awww!

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Maccabi has an offensive machine, that crumbles a naive team or individual efforts. Prigioni as a foundation after Ukic got sidelined was never enough for a title, not even against the Panathinaikos, but there Tau got saved on rebounds Scola grabed. Obradovic, coach, showed an open wound, and Israelis just sprayed a little salt all over it---and Tau died a horrible death. Argentina was simply not enough to hold the team together.

Do you honestly consider a one dimentional player like Ukic better than Prigioni?

Prigioni led Tau here along Scola, so they wouldn't have been in the Final 4, if it wasn't for their performances. He was the one that won the game against Panathinaikos with that steeal and clutch points. Anyone can have a bad day, specially point guards, hell, anyone can have a bad season. Just look at Jasikevicius: worshipped in Europe, a scrub in the NBA.

The whole Maccabi defense was set to stop him, he couldn't beat it, and that's it, he's still one of the best point guards in Europe, if not the best "pure" point guard.

Pero
04-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I don`t know how good Prigioni is, because I haven`s seen him much. But I never liked Ukic, his play just doesn`t impress me, looks like he`s just shooting a lot...

zeleni
04-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Do you honestly consider a one dimentional player like Ukic better than Prigioni?

Prigioni led Tau here along Scola, so they wouldn't have been in the Final 4, if it wasn't for their performances. He was the one that won the game against Panathinaikos with that steeal and clutch points. Anyone can have a bad day, specially point guards, hell, anyone can have a bad season. Just look at Jasikevicius: worshipped in Europe, a scrub in the NBA.

The whole Maccabi defense was set to stop him, he couldn't beat it, and that's it, he's still one of the best point guards in Europe, if not the best "pure" point guard.

Prigioni was great, but is still Tau greatest weakness. Shooting PG have at least a possibility to contribute when being isolated. Ukic is not one-dimensional, he could make great progress if he played a lot of competitive basketball. Prigioni on the other hand needn't play more than on his assist to Scola (thats one rough estimation, I know) and was so easily cut off. Tau was being outcoached becouse Perasovic never knew Prigioni's limits until the Final4. And coaches need to know everything before such an event. Pini Gerson was better and Maccabi killed Tau.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I think I've heard about two thousand variations on his actual contract. Is Scola's contract one or two more years or is it a complete mystery?

i had enough of him and his contract situation.

Berkmandlc
04-29-2006, 04:35 AM
what do you think of Smodiš's effect: 17pts + 12reb

SL:spin rulezZ

sendman
04-29-2006, 05:39 AM
what do you think of Smodiš's effect: 17pts + 12reb

Smodis got his ass kicked by Fucka. And then zebras took over that ugly, ugly game.

velik_m
04-29-2006, 06:13 AM
what do you think of Smodi?'s effect: 17pts + 12reb

it wasn't the best game of his life, but he did a good job on the boards.

Pero
04-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Smodis got his ass kicked by Fucka.

Right, that`s why Smodis was the second best player of the game and Fucka sixth...

zeleni
04-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Smodis got his ass kicked by Fucka. And then zebras took over that ugly, ugly game.

T's made the difference. Slovenes were about equal for their teams. Both were clutch guys.

Dartherus
04-29-2006, 06:58 AM
If his buyout is now as low as recently was reported, chances are pretty good.
The most reliable info got in euro sources, say his buyout was about 14 mill Euros , however, if Tau doesn't let him go next season, the buyout would drop to less than 800K euros for this next season, so this next offseason, Tau has to let him go, if they want to get some good money, or they'll have to let him go for much less money the next year. If Spurs has limitations due the buyout, the best thing to do would be trade his right for anything the Spurs could use, to a team with enough cap space to handle the buyout, don't you think?

BTW, in the Maccabi game, even despite having his team a so awful game (the coach Perasovic was owned by coach Pini Gershon), he and Hansen were the only ones playing without getting annoyed by Maccabi pressure. He played very good D, and despite being so well guarded (it was too hard for Tau to send good balls into the paint), he managed to score 17 pts, grab 11 rebs, and give 5 asists (highest in gam, and remember, in euro rules, assist are harder to be awarded than in NBA, cause officials are quite more stricts before asigning an assist, it has to be a clear great move that ease the scoring of other player).

sendman
04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
BTW, in the Maccabi game, even despite having his team a so awful game (the coach Perasovic was owned by coach Pini Gershon), he and Hansen were the only ones playing without getting annoyed by Maccabi pressure. He played very good D, and despite being so well guarded (it was too hard for Tau to send good balls into the paint), he managed to score 17 pts, grab 11 rebs, and give 5 asists (highest in gam, and remember, in euro rules, assist are harder to be awarded than in NBA, cause officials are quite more stricts before asigning an assist, it has to be a clear great move that ease the scoring of other player).

And which Maccabi game did you watch? Scola and his whole team looked like deers in headlights. His numbers got inflated in garbage time, when Maccabi played with their scrubs (last 15 min. of the game). This game ended at halftime. I like Scola, but yesterday he was pathetic, like his entire team and coach.

Manu4Three
04-29-2006, 04:09 PM
The game is on NBA tv right now

velik_m
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
well if anyone cares... CSKA won the Euroleague.

yay for Smodis! :spin

Pero
04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
:tu :smokin

T Park
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
CSKA Moscow

interesting

Did they beat Maccabi?

The reign is over....

zeleni
04-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Scola won the 3rd place by a great game by Tau's bench.

Smodis got his revenge. His 4th Final4 is making him a legend of Euroleague, soon to be compared with the likes of Alvertis.

Dartherus
05-01-2006, 04:44 AM
And which Maccabi game did you watch? Scola and his whole team looked like deers in headlights. His numbers got inflated in garbage time, when Maccabi played with their scrubs (last 15 min. of the game). This game ended at halftime. I like Scola, but yesterday he was pathetic, like his entire team and coach.
You need to analyze better the FIBA play. When your PG isn't working and there are no good balls coming into the paint, inside players will have a very hard time trying to score. Even Duncan or Shaq would suffer when no balls are going into the paint, and with FIBA rules, it's even harder (do you remember Duncan in the olympics?)...

Saying that, it's obvious that Scola or ANY inside player would have had tons of problems to have a good game if their time was so owned strategically/tactically and the outside players so well defended.

That's why what Scola did has merit, and I'm talking about how he fought despite the awful situation, and had a very good defense to his pair, the problem was that he was left almost alone in the fight.

In the 3rd/4th place game against Barcelona, he wasn't supposed to play, cause his father has a severe problem and was sent into the hospital, he played despite that problem, I mention that for the ones asking why he didn't play so well in the consolation game.

Bruno
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM
A scouting report on final four and nba prospects :
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1288

An extract concerning Scola and his future :

The feeling in Spain is that Scola will finally leave for the NBA this summer. His contract apparently runs out in 2007, and Tau will likely prefer to cash in this year before losing him for nothing the following one.

I've made a quick google news search to find some news from Spain concerning Tau and Scola :
- Scola leaving Tau is a possibility.
- No recent news concerning Splitter.
- Kaya Pecker will sign with Tau.
- Tau will maybe try to sign Nikola Vujcic (like Madrid and some NBA teams).

I haven't find a real answer but it's some clue that Scola can leave Tau.