PDA

View Full Version : Tallying the most valuable votes - Very Creative

SlasherX
04-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002919968_allen09.html
Tallying the most valuable votes
By Percy Allen

Seattle Times NBA reporter

The reigning MVP is playing at KeyArena this evening. You should check him out because, really, there hasn't been anyone quite like Steve Nash to come around in a long, long time.

He'll be hard-pressed to win another MVP award this season, not that he cares all that much, with his Phoenix Suns stumbling into the playoffs.

Still, for the rest of us, the MVP race is far more titillating than the ho-hum playoff chase. The balloting, which concludes April 20, will likely be closer than last year, when Nash nipped Miami's Shaquille O'Neal. As many as 10 players could receive a first-place vote, which would be a first, and six players have a realistic chance of winning.

Because the media types can't decide who's worthy of lifting the Maurice Podoloff Trophy, then perhaps the balloting should return to players. It's been 26 years since they've chosen their MVP.

But let's narrow the field and let the candidates decide. Let's lock them in a room, 12-angry-men style, and have them hash it out. We'll also set up a few hidden cameras and microphones and see what happens when multimillion-dollar players with Space Needle-sized egos stop pandering for our votes and start being real.

We join the meeting already in session.

Elton Brand: OK, I'll reluctantly take the lead in moderating this thing, but let's keep it simple. First off, is everybody here?

Knock at the door. Tony Parker steps in.

Brand: Where's Timmy [Duncan]?

Parker: He decided not to show up this year and sent me instead.

Grumbles around the room.

Brand: Is there a problem?

Kobe Bryant: Well, yeah. Some of y'all dudes shouldn't even be here. No offense, 'Melo, but I don't remember seeing you in Houston at the All-Star Game. C'mon, man, it ain't the half-season MVP. You didn't start balling until a few weeks ago.

Carmelo Anthony: Hold up, what about J-Kidd? If he gets to stay, I'm staying.

Jason Kidd: Has your team won 14 of its past 15? Have you been to the Finals twice? Didn't think so. I'm staying.

Brand: Everybody stays, but we've got to figure out how we're going to decide this thing.

LeBron James: Look, y'all old dudes pick whoever you want. I'll give y'all this one. But next year, it's a different story.

Dwyane Wade: I hear you, bro.

Dirk Nowitzki: I'm voting for Steve.

Steve Nash: I'm voting for Dirk.

Bryant: 62-61. :lmao :lmao

Nowitzki: What does that mean?

Bryant: You know what that means.

Brand: Focus, people! Look, the way I see it is, if 'Bron is going to back out, then it's really a three-man race between Chauncey, Dirk and Steve, since we can't vote for ourselves. OK, maybe you throw Kobe in the mix, but that's really about it. Can we agree on that?

James: Ti-i-i-ime is on my side. Yes it is.

Bryant: I'm cool with that.

Chauncey Billups: Hold up. This should really be a no-brainer. I'm doing the same thing Nash did last year and he got the trophy.

Wade: Yeah, and we all know how that turned out. My boy Diesel got robbed.

Nash: I didn't rob anybody. Besides, have you seen my squad? Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson, gone. No Amare [Stoudemire]. Thank goodness for Shawn [Marion].

Bryant: Don't talk to me about carrying a team.

Wade: Hey, I'm lugging a 7-1, 325 dude on my back.

Parker: Tell me about it.

Bryant: Been there, done that.

Brand: All right already. Enough. Let's take a look at the resumes.

Resumes are passed around.

Chauncey Billups: When the game is on the line, he's clutch. They don't call him "Mr. Big Shot" for nothing. Third in free-throw percentage at 90.7 and fifth in three-point shooting at 43.4 percent. Biggest attribute is his consistency. Has started every game and is the glue of the team with the NBA's best record.

Carmelo Anthony: Finishing the season strong. Western Conference player of month in March. Has topped the 30-point mark 11 times and is averaging 29.4 points since March 1. Has hit four game-winning shots and had four 40-point games.

Elton Brand: Averaging 25 points and 10.1 rebounds. Has 42 double-double games. Responsible for leading the Clippers to their first playoff berth in nine years and sixth winning record in franchise history. Los Angeles is one win shy of matching its best record since moving to California.

Kobe Bryant: Numbers 81 and 62 have become a part of the sports lexicon. His 81-point outburst is the second largest in NBA history. Also outscored Dallas 62-61 in three quarters. Has scored at least 50 points five times this season and has had 25 40-point games, the most since Michael Jordan did it in 1986-87. Not just an offensive machine — Bryant is a candidate for the all-defensive team and ranks 11th in steals with 1.75 per game.

LeBron James: The 21-year-old is on pace to become just the fourth player in NBA history to average at least 31 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan did it twice, and Jerry West did it once. Has led Cleveland to its first playoff appearance since 1998.

Jason Kidd: Ranks fifth in assists (8.6) and seventh in steals (1.89) and is the only NBA player with at least 140 steals and 625 assists. Leads New Jersey in rebounding (7.3) and was largely responsible for its 14-game winning streak.

Steve Nash: Averaging an NBA-best 10.4 assists, career-high 19.3 points and 4.2 rebounds. On pace to become just the fourth player in NBA history to shoot at least 50 percent from the field, 40 percent on three-pointers and 90 percent on free throws. Has increased his scoring average by 3.3 points over last season and has done all of this with three new starters.

Dirk Nowitzki: Has averaged 29.3 points, 10 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.2 blocked shots since the All-Star break. Dallas has been consistent all season and is challenging San Antonio for the best record in the Western Conference.

Dwyane Wade: Has a career-high 16 double-doubles this season and has scored at least 10 points in 76 consecutive games.

Tim Duncan: Averaging 18.5 points and 11.1 rebounds for the best team in the West.

Back to the board room after silent vote.

Bryant: So it's settled, right?

Brand: Yeah, it's settled. Kobe you got one vote, Dirk two, Nash two and Chauncey five.

Billups: Thanks, y'all. Much love. I'm gonna put this on the mantle next to my Finals MVP trophy.

Bryant: Yeah, whatever.

James: Like I said, old dudes, enjoy it while you can. Ti-i-i-ime is on my side.

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

MVP candidates
A look at the statistics of the top MVP candidates (listed in alphabetical order):
Name Team Ppg Rpg Apg
Carmelo Anthony Denver 26.8 5.0 2.6
Chauncey Billups Detroit 19.1 3.2 8.7
Elton Brand L.A. Clippers 25.0 10.1 2.6
Kobe Bryant L.A. Lakers 35.1 5.3 4.5
Tim Duncan San Antonio 18.5 11.1 3.2
LeBron James Cleveland 31.7 7.2 6.7
Jason Kidd New Jersey 13.7 7.3 8.6
Steve Nash Phoenix 19.3 4.2 10.4
Dirk Nowitzki Dallas 26.5 8.9 2.8
Dwyane Wade Miami 27.5 5.8 6.8
Note: Stats through Saturday's games.
MVP history: Before the 1980-81 season, player voting decided the winner. Now, media members decide the winner of the Maurice Podoloff Trophy.

Last year's race: Steve Nash won the closest vote in MVP history, receiving 1,066 to Shaquille O'Neal's 1,032. Nash received 65 first-place votes, while O'Neal had 58.

1Parker1
04-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Nash: I didn't rob anybody. Besides, have you seen my squad? Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson, gone. No Amare [Stoudemire]. Thank goodness for Shawn [Marion].

Bryant: Don't talk to me about carrying a team.

Wade: Hey, I'm lugging a 7-1, 325 dude on my back.

Parker: Tell me about it.

Bryant: Been there, done that.

:lol Ok, I'll admit, I chuckled a bit at that one...

ShoogarBear
04-12-2006, 07:17 PM
62-61.
Classic.

Good article. :tu

san antonio spurs
04-12-2006, 07:50 PM
great article
________
Volcano Vaporizers (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Funny article.

My top five votes would probably go. . .

Dirk
Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Chauncey

West conference bias.

1Parker1
04-12-2006, 09:25 PM
^You think Wade ahead of Lebron and Billups?

Vinnie_Johnson
04-12-2006, 09:59 PM
After tonight I am taking Lebron his team is crap if he is shut down.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Unless Dirk's Mavs overtake the Spurs and take the West I'd give MVP to LBJ, he's just too good...