PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Barry's comments?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Any more questions? Barry said that with all the concern about playoff seeding and last week's loss to Dallas, some people might not be appreciating the Spurs' achievements this season as much as they should.

"We've been answering a lot of questions over the past week about our team and all the things that are going on, and this team just won 60 games," Barry said. "And that's a pretty special thing. We never set a goal as to how many games we're going to win, but that's a damn fine season, and we still have more to go. So we can talk people off the ledges at this point."

But aren't high expectations a good thing?

"It's good and bad," Barry said. "If it makes you suicidal, it's very bad."

- SA Express News

now he's got a good point in that the spurs aren't in any mode to panic but at the same time I don't think he understands that just because you have a great regular season doesn't mean that Spurs have taken care of business for the year. as stated many times before, with the roster that this team has, anything less than a championship will be a huge dissapointment. I just hope the spurs don't get overconfident and think that just cuz they hit 60 wins, the season is already marked as a "success" I mean if they do end up getting the best franchise mark in history, good for them, but season stats mean shit if you can't bring home the bacon. what do you guys think?

Obstructed_View
04-13-2006, 01:58 AM
I think you overthink things. Wait until the Spurs get down by two games in the playoffs before you drink the Koolaid.

PM5K
04-13-2006, 02:03 AM
I don't know, it's really strange.

No matter what happens with our remaining games we have already tied for the second best record in our teams history, and we've been consistent, but in the past we haven't been, we typically play respectably and hit a stride in the second half of the season where we look amazing, for some reason even though we are more consistent which should be good, a lot of people think we are playing worse than we have.

If Tim Duncan doesn't show up for the Playoffs they will be heading to Calaveras soon, and even if he does show up playing Detroit won't be a walk in the park...

Mark in Austin
04-13-2006, 02:08 AM
When you realize this team won 60+ games this year with Duncan at 50%-80% and Manu in and out of the line-up for most of the season, it is really a remarkable feat.

If the Spurs had the Pistons health, they'd be well past the Piston's record and heading towards 70 wins.

Can they repeat? I honestly don't know if health will allow it. But given the hand this team was dealt, I'll have no complaints about the season.

You should amend your statement to say "If healthy, and with the roster that this team has, anything less than a championship will be a huge dissapointment."

cs100
04-13-2006, 02:10 AM
I didn't get the feeling that Barry was satisfied with the results. He said that we have more to do. I think he was tired of being asked about the negative aspects of the season like Tim's PF, poor b2b, Manu's injury, etc etc. He was trying to point out that it was not ALL doom and gloom. We have managed to accomplish something good, even though we are not done yet.

That is my impression of his statement.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 02:12 AM
I didn't get the feeling that Barry was satisfied with the results. He said that we have more to do. I think he was tired of being asked about the negative aspects of the season like Tim's PF, poor b2b, Manu's injury, etc etc. He was trying to point out that it was not ALL doom and gloom. We have managed to accomplish something good, even though we are not done yet.

That is my impression of his statement.

that's a fair assessment :tu

UtownSpur
04-13-2006, 06:56 AM
I agree with Brent 100%

SAGambler
04-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree with Brent 100%

Me too. Flip Saunders said (last night, I think) that most teams would kill to get 50 wins a season. To get 60 is the mark of a great team.

If we stop and realize, how when someone was out and hurt, which was often during this season, someone seemed to always step up. And that's why I like our chances to repeat this year.

Not taking anything away from Detroit, but I wonder if they had suffered through the injuries that the Spurs have, would they have been able to pull it together and pull off a 60 win season?

It really is an accomplishment if you look at how they had to do it.

And Barry is right about all the negativity. People need to appreciate what this team has given them night in and night out.

They may not win another championship. But they have given us a lot to be proud of as a team this year. A lot of teams would just have folded with all the injuries and hoped they got better next year.

GO SPURS GO

easjer
04-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I think Barry is right on.

I disagree with the idea that the season is a huge disappointment if they don't win the championship. I will be disappointed if they don't win. Of course I want them to win. But only 1 team of 30 wins. If they play hard and get outplayed, it happens. We've got a few more years with the core.

I don't base my Spurs experience around one thing only. I used to - those 3 Laker championships? I used to get really angry. I screamed at the TV, I cursed them, and I walked around in a funk after they lost. Used to piss me off - we'd won a championship! What the fuck was the problem? Where the fuck was my team?

And then I realized that it was a waste of time and energy, and I spent a lot of time being angry at something that was supposed to be entertaining and fun. So I appreciated the 2003 championship a lot more. I was sick and disappointed in 2004, but not the angry, disgusted person I was before that. I was able to enjoy a lot about 2004. And last year was just an incredible ride all the way through.

I've enjoyed this season so much. I hope 'we' win. But I won't slit my wrists if 'we' don't. Doesn't anyone remember what it used to be like to get to 50 wins, and how incredible it was? Doesn't anyone remember what it felt like to be pushed out of the playoffs year after year and only be regular season winners? Appreciate what we've got, you know? Lots of fans don't enjoy what we do here.

I just really dislike the sense of entitlement a lot of Spurs fans feel. I avoid this board after a loss, simply because the anger is so unbearable. I'm not saying they never make me angry (that Dallas loss had me fuming), but it happens even after wins. People seem to feel that the team owes them something, and that they should dictate how the Spurs win - like if we don't sweep every team with a huge blowout then the Spurs aren't good enough. What about what we owe the team for such an incredible run and ride (like, maybe, less negativity and more loyalty)?

Anyhow, that is what I think about the whole thing, for the little it's worth.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
as stated many times before, with the roster that this team has, anything less than a championship will be a huge dissapointment. I just hope the spurs don't get overconfident and think that just cuz they hit 60 wins, the season is already marked as a "success" I mean if they do end up getting the best franchise mark in history, good for them, but season stats mean shit if you can't bring home the bacon. what do you guys think?

that attitude is totally contrary to what it means to be a spurs fan. You sound much more like a Lakers fan. Remember in 2004? they had Malone, Payton, Shaq, Fisher, etc... and EVERYONE said EXACTLY what you just wrote: "as stated many times before, with the roster that this team has, anything less than a championship will be a huge dissapointment". Do you even remember when the Spurs could barely make the playoffs? Do you remember all the players who were more awesome for the city off of the court than on it? I despise your kind of thinking. You are EXACTly who Brent was talking about in his quote. How dissappinted are you going to be if anything other than a Trophy comes home after the season? I bet you will curse Timm and Manu and especially Pop. Your shit shouldn't be on here. If you ever have tickets to a Spurs game, PLEASE, give them up to a FAN.
"A HUGE dissappointment." What a spoiled and whiny comment. Sounds JUST LIKE A FAKERS FAN.

101A
04-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Do you even remember when the Spurs could barely make the playoffs?

How spoiled are we?

It's been nearly 20 YEARS since the Spurs "barely made the playoffs".

Slomo
04-13-2006, 09:16 AM
How spoiled are we?

It's been nearly 20 YEARS since the Spurs "barely made the playoffs".That's a great perspective right there! :tu

phyzik
04-13-2006, 09:49 AM
well..... I dont know about you guys, but they certainly do owe me!!! :elephant :drunk

Lebowski Brickowski
04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
How spoiled are we?

Good point. But when did not winning a title = "Huge Dissapointment." That's spoiled AND it's whiny. That attitude is one of the reasons that I hated the Lakers so passionately. We are a priveledged group right here. No one has a right to the title. Man, I LOVE the Spurs as much as anybody. And when they lose even a regular season game I get upset for a little while. I want the Spurs to dominate like the greatest dynasty ever: the Celtics when they won 8 straight. It's so awesome that we even have a chance to repeat -- and a really good chance IMO. But there is enjoyment and pride to be found in a 60 win season. I know that the players and Pop the front office aren't satisfied with it. Everone who plays or coaches wants to win it all. Same with us. But enjoy the ride and don't "jump off" if it ends before you want it to. I just think this is what Brent was talking about when he said to come back from the ledge.

angel_luv
04-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I laughed so hard when I read Brent's comments yesterday. It as if he reads the thread on this board.

I thought his words were well said and correct.

Let them know Brent! :)

Lebowski Brickowski
04-13-2006, 09:57 AM
One last thing --
I'm so excited to have finally found a place like SpursTalk. Now that I've spent the last few years in Dallas and Austin, it feels great to have a place to talk about the Spurs with passionate and knowledgable fans. Spurs kick ass! :flag:

SenorSpur
04-13-2006, 10:09 AM

I disagree with the idea that the season is a huge disappointment if they don't win the championship. I will be disappointed if they don't win. Of course I want them to win. But only 1 team of 30 wins. If they play hard and get outplayed, it happens. We've got a few more years with the core.

I don't base my Spurs experience around one thing only. I used to - those 3 Laker championships? I used to get really angry. I screamed at the TV, I cursed them, and I walked around in a funk after they lost. Used to piss me off - we'd won a championship! What the fuck was the problem? Where the fuck was my team?

And then I realized that it was a waste of time and energy, and I spent a lot of time being angry at something that was supposed to be entertaining and fun. So I appreciated the 2003 championship a lot more. I was sick and disappointed in 2004, but not the angry, disgusted person I was before that. I was able to enjoy a lot about 2004. And last year was just an incredible ride all the way through.

I've enjoyed this season so much. I hope 'we' win. But I won't slit my wrists if 'we' don't. Doesn't anyone remember what it used to be like to get to 50 wins, and how incredible it was? Doesn't anyone remember what it felt like to be pushed out of the playoffs year after year and only be regular season winners? Appreciate what we've got, you know? Lots of fans don't enjoy what we do here.

I just really dislike the sense of entitlement a lot of Spurs fans feel. I avoid this board after a loss, simply because the anger is so unbearable. I'm not saying they never make me angry (that Dallas loss had me fuming), but it happens even after wins. People seem to feel that the team owes them something, and that they should dictate how the Spurs win - like if we don't sweep every team with a huge blowout then the Spurs aren't good enough. What about what we owe the team for such an incredible run and ride (like, maybe, less negativity and more loyalty)?

Great perspective.

Because the Spurs are a team of championship pedigree, the bar has now been raised. They expect more; we expect more.

boutons_
04-13-2006, 10:38 AM
"They expect more; we expect more."

So, let's all, FINALLY, get some more and end the season with a little 6-game W streak, and 8-2 in Last10 of season.

Let's go 8-2 in April, which would be a lot better than last April's 6-5.

polandprzem
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
How spoiled are we?

:scratching his head

(How many years has Tim been in this leauge?)

T Park
04-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Tims been in the league since 97-98

but that is the last time the Spurs BARELY squeeked into the playoffs.

In years theyve been healthy, they have either been the top 2 seeds, or in the middle.

Thats why fans are spoiled.

Any year this team has been HEALTHY its been automatic division, and high seed.

IX_Equilibrium
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Barry's comments were great. They were aimed at people like some of the many fuckheads on here that claim to be Spurs fans but want to trade TD or fire Pop after a loss.

Oh, Gee!!
04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I knew we should have traded him

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Eh, I could care less if they win 80 games or 40, as long as they're there at the end playing for the title.

101A
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
:scratching his head

(How many years has Tim been in this leauge?)

Hey young'un. Prior to DAVID'S arrival was the last time the Spurs "squeeked" into the playoffs. The Spurs were among league elites (if not top tier) several of David's earilier years, and were ALWAYS solidly in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan (and Pop) put a good team over the top.

It was only a few years before David, that the Spurs were consitent playoff participants, as well. This did NOT all start with Tim Duncan.

polandprzem
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Yup you are right.
The bearly word was what made it.

I know I'm spoiled, my knee must to berepaired

pache100
04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Eh, I could care less if they win 80 games or 40, as long as they're there at the end playing for the title.

http://i2.tinypic.com/ve555w.gif

16 wins in May/June = all that matters.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2006, 01:38 PM
i dont agree with this "spurs fans are spoiled" bullshit. it makes me less of a fan because I'm not hunky dory after a loss or because I think this team is fully capable of winning a championship after having a good shot at setting the franchise record for most wins in a season? No way, wether we lose in the first round or lose on a buzzer beater in game 7 I'll still be here next season no matter. I have been a huge fan since 97 when i had to get up at 3 am when i was living in saudi arabia just to watch a rare spurs game live on our ESPN feed because of the time zone difference. Obviously after our first championship my expectations did get raised, but that doesn't mean just because i get pissed when they lose that I'm "spoiled" or am a bandwagon fan. that's ridiculous. I have my work schedule based around the spurs games cuz i get too nervous when a game is on tv and I'm not able to watch it! I LOVE this team, always will, all I'm saying is that we should be able to win a championship. Having said that, Detroit just might be the better team this year and that's something I can fully accept. Heck, if the series between detroit and SA started today we'd probably lose in five easily so I'm not even expecting that much in the finals, not to say that we dont have a chance because we're a great team, but Detroit is still in my mind on another level that the Spurs are still trying to reach. So just because some of us (myself, boutons, AHF) flip out after a loss doesn't make us any less of a fan than Zocool who is always upbeat no matter what in regards to the spurs

wildbill2u
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Put Ben Wallace or Rasheed on the floor with plantar faciatis(sp?) and Billups or Hamilton out for as many games as Manu at the same time and then guess what the Pistons record would be. I don't think it would be as good as the Spurs because of our depth on the bench.

It's been a tough year injury-wise for the Spurs, but look at some other teams like the Rockets with McGrady out a lot and now Yao with a broken foot.

The Pistons have really been fortunate for two years not to have any major injuries to their starters.

Sasha
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM

Beautifully written - and it's worth a lot! Thanks for taking the time to write it. :spin

thispego
04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
i dont agree with this "spurs fans are spoiled" bullshit. it makes me less of a fan because I'm not hunky dory after a loss or because I think this team is fully capable of winning a championship after having a good shot at setting the franchise record for most wins in a season? No way, wether we lose in the first round or lose on a buzzer beater in game 7 I'll still be here next season no matter. I have been a huge fan since 97 when i had to get up at 3 am when i was living in saudi arabia just to watch a rare spurs game live on our ESPN feed because of the time zone difference. Obviously after our first championship my expectations did get raised, but that doesn't mean just because i get pissed when they lose that I'm "spoiled" or am a bandwagon fan. that's ridiculous. I have my work schedule based around the spurs games cuz i get too nervous when a game is on tv and I'm not able to watch it! I LOVE this team, always will, all I'm saying is that we should be able to win a championship. Having said that, Detroit just might be the better team this year and that's something I can fully accept. Heck, if the series between detroit and SA started today we'd probably lose in five easily so I'm not even expecting that much in the finals, not to say that we dont have a chance because we're a great team, but Detroit is still in my mind on another level that the Spurs are still trying to reach. So just because some of us (myself, boutons, AHF) flip out after a loss doesn't make us any less of a fan than Zocool who is always upbeat no matter what in regards to the spurs
you just made zocools day

sprrs
04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Good point. But when did not winning a title = "Huge Dissapointment." That's spoiled AND it's whiny.

As a fan, yes it's a stupid way to think and it is spoiled. But as for a team, a contending team, anything less than a championship is a dissapointment. They should enjoy the ride and all that, but they do not get paid to say, oh well we didn't win the championship but it was a great ride so we're satisfied. They get paid to not be satisfied with falling short, to work harder to reach the ultimate goal.

easjer
04-13-2006, 05:05 PM
But we're mostly discussing the fan perspective aren't we?

I've gotta say that I don't totally understand this whole idea that the post season is the real thing. It sort of seems like a bonus to me. I mean, I get that it is the ultimate goal, and that the championship is what you strive for, but if that's all the season's worth, why bother playing a regular season (and a long one, at that)? Why not just have a big round robin tournament each year?

The season must have some merit by and of itself, or the whole thing is pretty pointless. And again, only 1 team wins. So do you think that the other 29 teams should be completely disappointed with what they acheive simply because they didn't win?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-13-2006, 06:02 PM
. It sort of seems like a bonus to me.

We've got Tim Duncan in his prime flanked by Manu and Tony, and you think the playoffs are a bonus? :rolleyes

I mean, I get that it is the ultimate goal, and that the championship is what you strive for, but if that's all the season's worth, why bother playing a regular season (and a long one, at that)? Why not just have a big round robin tournament each year?

I dunno, probably because

1) you have to figure out how to seed people for the playoffs

2) the league makes a shit load of money off the regular season

3) so you have something to do for six months out of the year besides bitch about when the next game is

So do you think that the other 29 teams should be completely disappointed with what they acheive simply because they didn't win?

Pretty much, except for the rare occassions where the players on the team all care more about their endorsement contracts and bonuses than winning.

td4mvp21
04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, I feel his comments are premature after tonights game. Pathetic.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I think Barry was feeling a LITTLE TOO SELF-SATISFIED...maybe it rubbed off on the entire bench, save Manu.