PDA

View Full Version : Make or break for Marks

Kori Ellis
10-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Make or break for Marks

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/451337%3fformat=html

Oct 4, 2004
By Ryland James

It's a make or break season for Tall Blacks star Sean Marks when the NBA kicks off in a month's time with the 29-year-old acknowledging it's now or never.

As the first New Zealander ever to appear in the NBA, having made his debut in 1999, Marks is now entering his sixth season involved in the world's top basketball competition.

57 NBA appearances in five years is a mediocre record and Marks is feeling the pressure to add to his tally.

Having broke into the NBA with the Toronto Raptors for two seasons, Marks came to the San Antonio Spurs via Miami Heat, but feels now is the time to stamp his authority and emerge from the shadows of some of the NBA's biggest stars.

The Spurs open their season on November 3 when they entertain Sacramento and Marks is feeling the pressure to get game time.

"It's crucial I get a decent shot at things this year," he said.

"This is pretty much a make or break season for me, this will be my 6th season in the NBA.

"It has been a lot longer than a lot of people would have thought, I'd like to make it as long as possible, so I need to get court time, I need to show people what I can do and keep injury free.

"It has to be my goal to make the roster, you have to be ready to step up to the plate.

"It's far too early to know where I stand yet, after the pre-season camp and a few games we will know how things will shake down."

The Spurs have brought in Brent Barry from the Seattle Supersonics to cover Hidayet Turkoglu's move to the Orlando Magic, but Marks thinks the Spurs are in great shape to improve on their Western Conference semifinal defeat to the LA Lakers last season.

With Shaquille O'Neal leaving the Western Conference and the LA Lakers, a weakened Lakers will be an advantage for the Spurs.

"I think the Spurs are in good shape, with the addition of Brent Barry, he can shoot the lights out of teams," said Marks.

"He is an experienced leader and will cover for Hidayet Turkoglu.

"Brent will probably pick up that mantle, everyone is a year older and that will help with Shaq moving to the Eastern Conference, that helps us out with the Lakers not being as strong.

"It's definitely a big year for me and the family.

"Last year going into the season, I knew I wasn't getting court time and the coaches told me to work hard and do whatever they asked me to do.

"I did that and I am definitely hungry for more exposure and the pre-season will have a lot to do with that and get out there.

"I have had good practises while I have been here, but I now need to show them the same sort of things in the games, so when I do get an opportunity, I play like I do in practice with confidence.

"The other thing is that I really don't want to get injured, living this lifestyle does take its toll on the body, but I am going into camp in great shape.

"But a lot of it is out of your hands, you never know when you are going to roll an ankle or take a bang on the nose, but hopefully I can stay clear of that.

"I can improve on my all round game, especially defensively, so there are a few things I have talked about with the coaches."

Having endured his fair share of injuries, Marks sounds like a contented man and praised the lack of ego and arrogance in the Spurs, in a league well known for its super stars.

"One of my goals is that I want to play basketball till I was 30," he said, "but I have fallen into a great situation here and I have fallen in love with the game all over again.

"Last year even though I didn't play, I was around a fantastic bunch of guys who really knew their stuff and if I am enjoying playing basketball, I will continue to do this as long as possible.

"I can only talk about the teams I have played for in the past and teams where my friends play and it is definitely unusual I have never encountered it before.

"I have always been used to playing in teams with a few superstars who keep themselves to themselves.

"You definitely need to have a certain amount of confidence, you could call it arrogance, but we have Tim Duncan here who is one of the top names in the game and he has no ego, no attitude and treats everyone like they are on the same level as him.

"It's definitely unusual and refreshingly unusual."

Having had something of an injury jinx in the last few seasons, Marks is injury free and although he's not superstitious, he's keeping his fingers crossed that he stays healthy.

"Injuries come with the territory and I have had a few of them," he said.

"I have had a few injuries. I tore my elbow up in Miami, I had an eye injury at the World Champs and rolled an ankle in Miami. The body is healing great, but I am not a superstitious person, if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.

"Lets hope I have shaken the injury jinx in the last few months."

timvp
10-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Poorly written article, but some nice quotes.

Marks is athletic and has a nice shot, so he has a chance to contribute. He'll need a good preseason, but the Spurs are really high on him going into training camp.

xcoriate
10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Yeah the spurs are high on him all right. They signed him almost straight away (a huge vote of confidence) and promised a bigger role. I think we'll see him on the active roster this year.

mattyc
10-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Go you little..er...big Anzac! :hat

xcoriate
10-04-2004, 01:32 AM
HAHA :rollin

Marcus Bryant
10-04-2004, 08:56 AM
If he can shoot and bang then there will be a spot for him but hopefully not as the primary backup big.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
xcoriate, who is Andrew Bogut

Solid D
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
who is Andrew Bogut

I'm sure xcoriate will respond once he checks back in. Bogut is an outstanding Aussie who played as a freshman in the NCAA - in the post for Utah. He's something like 6-10" and projects to go in the latter part of the 1st round in the NBA draft, if he declares his eligibility after his Soph. season with the Utes. He needs more development, if you ask me, but he's a good all-around player, he can pass and has good hands.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
we have a couple of good aussies playing college ball here in va with the Old Dominion Monarchs.

hell you can never have to many bigs