PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Does anyone here suffer from severe migraine headaches?

I usually get them around that time of the month, but lately I have been getting them every day... The other night I got one so bad that I was literally taken in by EMS to the hospital because all of my left side of my body was falling asleep :depressed I thought I was having a stroke but the doctor said migraine headaches can be so strong at times that they take over your body... I used to take Imitrex but they gave a new med called Maxalt It works for awhile but once it wears off I am back to square one... :depressed

easjer
04-13-2006, 11:41 AM
My mother did from her pregnancy with me through menopause. She has only had a handful since her hysterectomy in 2000, mostly stress related. She took Imitrex when it came out, which helped some.

I've only had a couple and they knocked me off my feet. I had to treat individual symptoms (emetrol for nausea, advil for the pain, huddle in bed with the lots off for light sensitivity).

I'm so sorry. Having finally experienced that firsthand, it's utterly and totally miserable. I hope you can find something that brings you some relief.

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 12:54 PM
^^^ Thank you for the info ^^^

I just picked up my prescription and It's for another migraine medicine called
Topamax

Just reading the side effects made me nervous...

increased eye pressure, increased body temperature, kidney stones, sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating... :depressed

Wish me luck!

SA210
04-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Does anyone here suffer from severe migraine headaches?

I usually get them around that time of the month, but lately I have been getting them every day... The other night I got one so bad that I was literally taken in by EMS to the hospital because all of my left side of my body was falling asleep :depressed I thought I was having a stroke but the doctor said migraine headaches can be so strong at times that they take over your body... I used to take Imitrex but they gave a new med called Maxalt It works for awhile but once it wears off I am back to square one... :depressed
Old School Chic,

I sympathize with you. I have suffered from migraines since childhood. Every year and day would pass, I felt they would get worse and worse. I feared I had a tumor, but I had a scan done and nothing was found.

I was also given Imitrex, then Maxalt which was like over 150 bucks for only 6 pills. 12 pills almost 300 bucks or so (which the 12 pills was a limit for the month by law, they told me, wth?). Yikes!

I'll tell you, first off, maybe you'll agree, Tylenol and all that other over the counter stuff doesn't help at all. Then Maxalt would just relieve it for a couple of minutes in my case.

It would just disinegrate on my tongue and gave me a quick relief, then a couple of minutes past and the migraine came back. Man, lights hurt, sounds, I couldn't eat certain foods or drink coke, certain shampoos and fragrances would just kill me, my face would just feel hot, dizziness and nausea. It was bad. And it still felt like they were getting worse and worse, pain on one side of my head, tension and pain in my shoulders really bad, just horrible. And it was Very unusual in my case, because I had them Every single day. If a day went by, and I didn't have one, it was a real surprise. I would take medication just so I could reduce my pain to a normal headache.

Anyhow, I did some research on water fasting and on cleansing the body from toxins. I found out that not only do we all have a high level of toxicity in our bodies but all this medication we take is making us sicker and worse. All that Tylenol and Maxalt was hurting me more.

It may sound crazy, but I actually fasted in February this year, for almost 2 weeks. I plan on doing it for a longer period in the future.

The truth is, since then, I think I've only had about 2 migraines, and that's a huge difference from having them everyday. And they didn't last as long. I still watch the heavy chocolates and stuff, but I do feel better than ever now. I even made my immune system stronger, my whole family and some friends got the flu really bad and I didn't catch it, at all. Normally I woulda been throwing up right beside them in the past. Also, recently they all had colds and bad soar throats and I got nothing.

So in My case I know the fasting really helped me. But I'm no doctor, maybe it's something you can at least look into. I'm not saying it will defintely work for you, but I'm convinced that it helped me. I'm sure alot of doctors would not recommend it, but then again, what money would they make from you fasting and not taking their drugs? Oh well, hopefully I could help in some way, I know how bad it is. God Bless.

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Old School Chic,

I sympathize with you. I have suffered from migraines since childhood. Every year and day would pass, I felt they would get worse and worse. I feared I had a tumor, but I had a scan done and nothing was found.

I was also given Imitrex, then Maxalt which was like over 150 bucks for only 6 pills. 12 pills almost 300 bucks or so (which the 12 pills was a limit for the month by law, they told me, wth?). Yikes!

I'll tell you, first off, maybe you'll agree, Tylenol and all that other over the counter stuff doesn't help at all. Then Maxalt would just relieve it for a couple of minutes in my case.

It would just disinegrate on my tongue and gave me a quick relief, then a couple of minutes past and the migraine came back. Man, lights hurt, sounds, I couldn't eat certain foods or drink coke, certain shampoos and fragrances would just kill me, my face would just feel hot, dizziness and nausea. It was bad. And it still felt like they were getting worse and worse, pain on one side of my head, tension and pain in my shoulders really bad, just horrible. And it was Very unusual in my case, because I had them Every single day. If a day went by, and I didn't have one, it was a real surprise. I would take medication just so I could reduce my pain to a normal headache.

Anyhow, I did some research on water fasting and on cleansing the body from toxins. I found out that not only do we all have a high level of toxicity in our bodies but all this medication we take is making us sicker and worse. All that Tylenol and Maxalt was hurting me more.

It may sound crazy, but I actually fasted in February this year, for almost 2 weeks. I plan on doing it for a longer period in the future.

The truth is, since then, I think I've only had about 2 migraines, and that's a huge difference from having them everyday. And they didn't last as long. I still watch the heavy chocolates and stuff, but I do feel better than ever now. I even made my immune system stronger, my whole family and some friends got the flu really bad and I didn't catch it, at all. Normally I woulda been throwing up right beside them in the past. Also, recently they all had colds and bad soar throats and I got nothing.

So in My case I know the fasting really helped me. But I'm no doctor, maybe it's something you can at least look into. I'm not saying it will defintely work for you, but I'm convinced that it helped me. I'm sure alot of doctors would not recommend it, but then again, what money would they make from you fasting and not taking their drugs? Oh well, hopefully I could help in some way, I know how bad it is. God Bless.

Wow!
I just got back from lunch and a co-worker was telling me about how water fasting helped her relieve her migraine headaches. I'm supposed to start a new medicine called Topamax this evening but I think I am going to take in to consideration what you have explained on here which by the way I truly appreciate it very much... :spin

2Blonde
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
^^^ Thank you for the info ^^^

I just picked up my prescription and It's for another migraine medicine called
Topamax

Just reading the side effects made me nervous...

increased eye pressure, increased body temperature, kidney stones, sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating... :depressed

Wish me luck!
OSC,
I have been taking Topamax for almost 2 years. They start you out with a small dose like 25mg twice a day and build you up to a larger dose. I now take 100mg twice day. I mentioned in another thread yesterday that also use Zomig when I get a migraine ( I used to use Imitrex, but the military stopped carrying it).
I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 and I am 44 now. They actually got worse after I had my hysterectomy when I was 37. I have to be really careful about my diet. Skipping meals is a big trigger for me. Even if I only eat a few crackers or a piece of bread I have to make sure I don't skip a meal totally. And when I get one I have to have Coca Cola ( the real stuff ). I have been told it's the combination of the caffeine and cinnamic acid in it. I usually drink Diet Pepsi, but I also keep regular Coke on hand for my headaches. I only drink about 4oz but it usually helps along with my two doses of zomig.

pache100
04-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow!
I just got back from lunch and a co-worker was telling me about how water fasting helped her relieve her migraine headaches. I'm supposed to start a new medicine called Topamax this evening but I think I am going to take in to consideration what you have explained on here which by the way I truly appreciate it very much... :spin

I have a friend who did this several years ago to relieve her migraines. She had only water with lemon in it and 2 oz (I think) of apple cider vinegar twice a day for two weeks. Both lemon and the vinegar are known for removing toxins from the body. I haven't talked to her in a couple of years, but she didn't have any migraines for several months after she did this, and when she did, they were not as severe and didn't last as long as they had previously.

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 01:54 PM
OSC,
I have been taking Topamax for almost 2 years. They start you out with a small dose like 25mg twice a day and build you up to a larger dose. I now take 100mg twice day. I mentioned in another thread yesterday that also use Zomig when I get a migraine ( I used to use Imitrex, but the military stopped carrying it).
I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 and I am 44 now. They actually got worse after I had my hysterectomy when I was 37. I have to be really careful about my diet. Skipping meals is a big trigger for me. Even if I only eat a few crackers or a piece of bread I have to make sure I don't skip a meal totally. And when I get one I have to have Coca Cola ( the real stuff ). I have been told it's the combination of the caffeine and cinnamic acid in it. I usually drink Diet Pepsi, but I also keep regular Coke on hand for my headaches. I only drink about 4oz but it usually helps along with my two doses of zomig.

I had a shot of Imitrex last week and that shit burned and to make things worse I got it on my hip :oops

2Blonde
04-13-2006, 01:54 PM
OSC,
If you have any issues with low blood sugar or have ever noticed that you tend to get migraines when you have skipped meals then don't go the water fasting route. Check with your doctor. One thing you can try is drinking green tea every night. That can help clean out the toxins in your body.

pache100
04-13-2006, 01:55 PM
OSC,
If you have any issues with low blood sugar or have ever noticed that you tend to get migraines when you have skipped meals then don't go the water fasting route. Check with your doctor. One thing you can try is drinking green tea every night. That can help clean out the toxins in your body.

Yes, I remember that my friend swore by the green tea, too. She started doing this before it was a fad. I'd never heard of green tea except in Japanese restaurants before she started using it for her headaches.

2Blonde
04-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I had a shot of Imitrex last week and that shit burned and to make things worse I got it on my hip :oops
I used to give it to myself in my thighs. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN !!!!!!!

I threw a party the day they came out with the pills. :elephant

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I used to give it to myself in my thighs. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN !!!!!!!

I threw a party the day they came out with the pills. :elephant

I bet you did... That shot burned :oops

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 10:21 PM
i used to get severe migraines 3 times a week. i would throw-up everything and no food was ever kept in the system the days i had migraines. i went to the doc and got an allergy test, after they figured out what i was allergic too...i stopped eatting those foods and they stopped. been 8 years now.

Whoa! I didn't know that food allergies can also trigger migraines... It seems like everything triggers those nasty headaches. :madrun

spurs=bling
04-13-2006, 10:25 PM
my dad used to get them alot..the doctor gave him some pills and 2 months off from work. so sometimes its work related. but i hope you feel better soon OSC

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
my dad used to get them alot..the doctor gave him some pills and 2 months off from work. so sometimes its work related. but i hope you feel better soon OSC

Hey 2 months off work would be nice :spin

But since I work for the Spurs and they are about to go into the playoffs, I know I can't afford to take more then 2 days off much less 2 months.
I just took my med... In a few minutes I am going to be posting the wrong shit so I better log off now :lol

Vashner
04-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Cut down on the MSG...

Although the information in FASEB's final report of July 31, 1995, is not new, the report offers a new safety assessment based on a comprehensive evaluation of existing data relating to glutamate's safety. The following are some of the report's key findings:

An unknown percentage of the population may react to MSG and develop MSG symptom complex, a condition characterized by one or more of the following symptoms:
burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms, and chest
numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back
tingling, warmth, and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck, and arms
facial pressure or tightness
chest pain
headache
nausea
rapid heartbeat
bronchospasm in MSG-intolerant people with asthma
drowsiness
weakness
In otherwise healthy MSG-intolerant people, the MSG symptom complex tends to occur within 1 hour after eating 3 g or more of MSG on an empty stomach or without other food. A typical serving of glutamate-treated food contains less than 0.5 g of MSG. A reaction is most likely if the MSG is eaten in a large quantity or in a liquid, such as a clear soup.

shelshor
04-14-2006, 03:28 AM
A friend used to have migraines a lot--she claimed that a couple of cups of light roast coffee at the start took the edge off; she also used green tea to help prevent them
I would recommend giving acupuncture a try--it helped my friend more than anything she'd tried before, and I've used it for any number of problems and like it very well

pache100
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
A friend used to have migraines a lot--she claimed that a couple of cups of light roast coffee at the start took the edge off; she also used green tea to help prevent them
I would recommend giving acupuncture a try--it helped my friend more than anything she'd tried before, and I've used it for any number of problems and like it very well

I've heard about the coffee thing, too, that it opens up the capillaries in your head around your eyes, etc. And I have known people with asthma who swear by it to open up the bronchii. I have no idea whether or not it really works or if it's placebo effect, but it might be worth a try.

Old School Chic
04-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I tried green tea this morning. So far no headache :elephant

I also went to the bookstore and bought a book called Fasting to Freedom
It gives you many ways on how to detox your beautiful Bod and that helps relieve not only migraines but a lot of other ailments

pache100
04-14-2006, 10:21 AM

It gives you many ways on how to detox your beautiful Bod and that helps relieve not only migraines but a lot of other ailments

Good for you! Proactive! Hope you find something that works for you - good luck!

Old School Chic
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Good for you! Proactive! Hope you find something that works for you - good luck!

Thank you, Sweetie :spin

Kevin Trudeau
04-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Great book, but mines is better. I'll let you know why the Federal Governmment, The Food and Drug Administration and Drug Companies really want you sick, and what natural remedies who can take so you will virtually never get sick again and prevent you from getting cancer and other disease.

Over 5 million sold!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/Natural%20Cures/sig.gif

Jekka
04-14-2006, 11:28 AM

If I feel a migraine coming on I'll usually run to Starbucks for something strong ASAP - most of the time it really helps. I get a lot of tension and TMJ headaches, though, so sometimes I think a migraine is something else and don't get to treat it in time. Then I'm screwed. I've been meaning to try acupuncture for the tension headaches, but I really have no idea where to go in San Antonio. Anyone know of a place they'd recommend?

CharlieMac
04-14-2006, 12:01 PM
I've heard about the coffee thing, too, that it opens up the capillaries in your head around your eyes, etc. And I have known people with asthma who swear by it to open up the bronchii. I have no idea whether or not it really works or if it's placebo effect, but it might be worth a try.

One of the main, and few side effects of caffiene withdrawel (it does exist) are severe headaches. So in the same way someone drinks a bloody mary the following morning to ease the effects of alcohol withdrawel (hangover), coffee, tea, and coke all can ease a headache believe it or not. This is assuming someone drinks a lot of coffee to begin with of course.

I've been fortunate enought to rarely get headaches. But on the flipside, when I'm stressed out I need to know where the restrooms are at all times.

pache100
04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
One of the main, and few side effects of caffiene withdrawel (it does exist) are severe headaches. So in the same way someone drinks a bloody mary the following morning to ease the effects of alcohol withdrawel (hangover), coffee, tea, and coke all can ease a headache believe it or not. This is assuming someone drinks a lot of coffee to begin with of course.

Yeah, I'm a caffeine junkie, I admit it. I have to have AT LEAST one cup of coffee in the morning. On weekdays, I drink, oh probably three cups (on really bad days, maybe a little more). But, on the weekend, I can stop at a convenience store and get a small cup and it wards off the headache I get if I don't have coffee at all. On the other hand, I have found that if I drink a couple of big glasses of water (which I usually don't have time to do in the mornings) in place of coffee, I don't get the headaches, either; I think my problem is more of a hydration thing than caffeine addiction. And I am aware that caffeine is a diuretic and can actually cause dehydration. But, I drink a lot of water at work anyway, so I guess it balances out.

2Blonde
04-14-2006, 12:27 PM
If I feel a migraine coming on I'll usually run to Starbucks for something strong ASAP - most of the time it really helps. I get a lot of tension and TMJ headaches, though, so sometimes I think a migraine is something else and don't get to treat it in time. Then I'm screwed. I've been meaning to try acupuncture for the tension headaches, but I really have no idea where to go in San Antonio. Anyone know of a place they'd recommend?
Dr. Chang
341-8847
12432 West Avenue (just east of Blanco )

CAGE
04-14-2006, 12:46 PM
My wife (OSC) has been suffering from real bad migraines lately :depressed

She told me that she was going to try a little bit of everything that was mentioned on this thread so that she can get rid of them for good

Thanx for your posts

shelshor
04-14-2006, 12:48 PM
If you were in Austin, yes; plus a couple to avoid
If ya'll have a college of Oriental medicine, the student clinics are much more reasonably priced than the regular clinics, plus you'd have the option of trying out some of the students until you find one with whom you have a good repoire;
otherwise, open the yellow pages and pick one that seems somehow to stand out from the others; for some reasom I'm not sure of, I'd also say pick someone inside Loop-410