PDA

View Full Version : Is Delfino nuts?

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2006, 02:23 PM
FIBA: ARG - Frustrated Delfino wants to make Venezuela trip

/noticias.info/
DETROIT (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina guard Carlos Delfino is hoping he can play for his country in the South American Championships even if it means missing the NBA play-offs with the Detroit Pistons.

Argentina are due to compete in the Championships this July and the preparation schedule in the lead-up to the event would require Delfino to miss considerable time in what is expected to be a robust title-challenge from the Pistons.

The 23-year-old Delfino, who won Olympic gold with his country at the Athens Olympics, has no doubts about where he would rather be.

"I want to play for the national team," he said.

Delfino has met with Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez to discuss his schedule and the shooting guard told the Ole newspapers he had made himself available.

"He showed me the schedule of work he has planned for the team and I told him I was at his service, because I want to play," he said.

Delfino, who will have one eye on the FIBA World Championship in August, has struggled for playing time with the Pistons.

He is averaging 10.2 minutes per game, with an average of 3.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in that time.

Delfino attributes his time on the bench to Detroit coach Flip Saunders' tactics.

"He is so offensive that we forget defence a bit. Saunders is focused very much on attacking, on points," he said.

"I need to come in and shoot more, but I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the selfish mentality here.

"I prefer to pass the ball and here, if you enter for four or five minutes and don't score, you're out of the game."

Delfino admitted that it was frustrating to have to spend so much time on the bench.

"I have a very good performance in one game and then I'm on the bench for the next three. He (Saunders) tells me 'Be prepared, you play today' and nothing else. I know I must be always ready, but it's difficult."

It is partly because of his frustrations in the Motor City that Delfino is so keen to travel with Argentina to Venezuele for the South American Championships.

"I'm young and can find my rhythm quickly," he said when asked if he would be ready to play. "I'm training a lot here.

"However, I don't know if I'll be available to play the South American Championships because it would be complicated if Detroit get to the NBA Finals."

PA Sport

MaNuMaNiAc
04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
why is he nuts?

101A
04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
FIBA: ARG - Frustrated Delfino wants to make Venezuela trip

/noticias.info/
DETROIT (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina guard Carlos Delfino is hoping he can play for his country in the South American Championships even if it means missing the NBA play-offs with the Detroit Pistons.

Argentina are due to compete in the Championships this July and the preparation schedule in the lead-up to the event would require Delfino to miss considerable time in what is expected to be a robust title-challenge from the Pistons.

The 23-year-old Delfino, who won Olympic gold with his country at the Athens Olympics, has no doubts about where he would rather be.

"I want to play for the national team," he said.

Delfino has met with Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez to discuss his schedule and the shooting guard told the Ole newspapers he had made himself available.

"He showed me the schedule of work he has planned for the team and I told him I was at his service, because I want to play," he said.

Delfino, who will have one eye on the FIBA World Championship in August, has struggled for playing time with the Pistons.

He is averaging 10.2 minutes per game, with an average of 3.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in that time.

Delfino attributes his time on the bench to Detroit coach Flip Saunders' tactics.

"He is so offensive that we forget defence a bit. Saunders is focused very much on attacking, on points," he said.

"I need to come in and shoot more, but I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the selfish mentality here.

"I prefer to pass the ball and here, if you enter for four or five minutes and don't score, you're out of the game."

Delfino admitted that it was frustrating to have to spend so much time on the bench.

"I have a very good performance in one game and then I'm on the bench for the next three. He (Saunders) tells me 'Be prepared, you play today' and nothing else. I know I must be always ready, but it's difficult."

It is partly because of his frustrations in the Motor City that Delfino is so keen to travel with Argentina to Venezuele for the South American Championships.

"I'm young and can find my rhythm quickly," he said when asked if he would be ready to play. "I'm training a lot here.

"However, I don't know if I'll be available to play the South American Championships because it would be complicated if Detroit get to the NBA Finals."

PA Sport

...because the previous coach had such limited success with a defense first mentality. :rolleyes

Don't think this bodes well for Pistons in a playoff series against coaches that are focussed on stopping offense. We'll see.

thispego
04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
hilarious, well...detroits season is over

ChumpDumper
04-13-2006, 02:31 PM
That's a novel way to ask for an offseason trade.

BigVee
04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
He probably figures Manu won't play so it is his chance to move ahead of him on the Arg depth chart.

bdubya
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Been discussed a little on the Pistons boards....

C'mon, man...selfish mentality? On the team that's #2 in assists? Maybe it would be a little less selfish to actually TAKE some of those open shots, or drive and try to break down the defense, rather than just catch, hold and pass all the time.

"I have a very good performance in one game and then I'm on the bench for the next three.

That's true, and possibly my biggest grip with Flip. OTOH, it's been a while since Delfino's had a very good performance.

Which kind of runs counter to the lead-in of the article, and makes me question exactly how the author might be spinning things.

With the emergence of the Delk/Hunter backcourt, Delfino's not as essential as I expected him to be. I'm bummed for him not getting the minutes I think he deserved earlier in the season, and if he'd actually rather play for his national squad than ride the pine into June, it's kind of understandable. It'd be different if he was a regular in the rotation or a starter like Noc (who ought to be available for the national team) or Ginobili (starting in the Finals being considerably more appealing than sitting on the bench).

cheguevara
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Let's see... He would be the main man in the Argentine roster as opposed to the bucket boy in a Detroit team that will once again have trouble reaching the NBA Finals even though playing scrub teams in the East, and be ultimately defeated by the Spurs. No, he's smart!

He wants no part in the sinking of the Titanic. :smokin

themvp
04-13-2006, 02:49 PM
hilarious, well...detroits season is over

this season?

:lol

picnroll
04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Delfino and Detroit are definitely going to be parting company.

thispego
04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
this season?

:lol
well... i was waiting for a pistons fan to respond to that remark so i could :lmao , but you fucked it up

leemajors
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
weird. i agree with bdubya, this article is written oddly.

ducks
04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
why is he nuts?
because he is paid to play for the pistons and he is acting like a spoiled pig

ducks
04-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I think I would not allow him to go and suspend him
then trade him to the hawks so he can play

spurschick
04-13-2006, 03:19 PM

I hope he goes somewhere that gets him more minutes. I know there has been questions about his work ethic, but maybe that would change if he had more reponsibility.

Ariel
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
kind of runs counter to the lead-in of the article, and makes me question exactly how the author might be spinning things.I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. This seems to be taken from a Delfino interview in Olé (http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1175917) a few days ago, and twisted to make news. Basically the lines are all the same, but for the spin given by title, which does not correspond to his sayings. Check the lines referring the issue in that article:

- Would you mind going to the South American Tournament?

I'm not worried because I'm young and I get into rythm quickly. Besides, I train a lot here.

- How do you assess the meeting with the coach?

It was a brief meeting with Hernández (Argentine coach). He introduced me to his work plan. I placed myself at his disposal. I want to play.

- Are you worried about playing very little?

I don't know which group will I be part of, but the schedule of the South American Tournament makes it difficult for me, if Detroit gets to the NBA finals.

Also, check these other quotes:

"(Overall things are) positive. I haven't felt this good physically. There are no traces (of the injury), and I'm at ease. And, thought not much, I did play."

"I know I'm young, and I'm fulfilling a dream. I'm in the place everybody wants to be in, and I keep on learning"

"I'm betting on (the chance of playing presenting itself with the Pistons), I hope so... I do not feel unappreciated or just a filler, I see they trust me, but I also want to play"

He says he wants to play for the NT, but never that he'd give up the playoffs to do so. That is a quote taken out of context, and selectively surrounded to make it something it's not. Gross manipulation on the part of whoever put the article together.

This is under no circumstance a disrespectul piece. It is an honest interview from a guy who wants to play, twisted by a bad translation and the need to make news out of anything.

I wish all of you could read Spanish, so as to check it by yourselves.

bdubya
04-13-2006, 03:24 PM

It sure is starting to look that way. He's under contract for one more year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade over the summer. Bummer; I'd expect whoever gives him consistent minutes to be real happy with the results. If he bails, I hope it's to some Western lottery team...

ChumpDumper
04-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Great, the Hornets are going to get him for JR Smith.

picnroll
04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Delfino has talent but strikes me as a guy with a two cent head, that's always going to think he's much better than he actually is which is a dangerous state of mind for a team. He'll probably be a career "good player" on a bad team.

ducks
04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Great, the Hornets are going to get him for JR Smith.
not if barry has atleast one good playoff series
yes I know that would be asking alot from him

mavsfan1000
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah I don't see the Pistons doing much damage now that they don't play defense anymore.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah I don't see the Pistons doing much damage now that they don't play defense anymore.

At least it's better than:

Giving up 95 points in the final 3 quarters in a game you need to win...

Allowing 60+% FG shooting in the 2nd half of a game you need to win...

Getting destroyed by Monta Ellis in a game you need to win...

Nice way to follow up that win in San Antone...

:fro

lil'mo
04-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Pistons are Through!

bdubya
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I hope he goes somewhere that gets him more minutes. I know there has been questions about his work ethic, but maybe that would change if he had more reponsibility.

Actually, this season his work ethic has been unquestioned. "Late at night, long after work should be over, Pistons guard Carlos Delfino likes to sneak into the empty Pistons practice facility for a little extra work." Apparently he's known for frequently being the first into the gym and the last out. (which makes it even weirder that he doesn't get consistent minutes, IMHO)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPORTS03/603220390/1051

ALVAREZ6
04-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Actually, this season his work ethic has been unquestioned. "Late at night, long after work should be over, Pistons guard Carlos Delfino likes to sneak into the empty Pistons practice facility for a little extra work." Apparently he's known for frequently being the first into the gym and the last out. (which makes it even weirder that he doesn't get consistent minutes, IMHO)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPORTS03/603220390/1051
I guess that's what happens when you play for the Pistons.

But I always wonder why he doesn't get more minutes, how many MPG does Rip play? He can probably play SF against some teams as well.

WalterBenitez
04-13-2006, 05:22 PM
To be honest ... what he has of talent is almost equal of his stupidity... for some reason I see him out of DET next season

FreshPrince22
04-13-2006, 06:30 PM
He's not stupid. He's exactly right. A few of his quotes were things I've been saying all along about Flip. He has this thing with bench players, where he thinks if they come into a game for 4-5 minutes and don't take a shot or score a bunch of points, they're not being productive. Delfino is not the kind of player that is going to come into the game and start firing away. He is not Vinnie Johnson. What Carlos brings to the game is the stuff that this Pistons team is known for from the last few years. Defense, hustle, unselfish team-play. But those things don't always translate to the boxscore which I get the feeling is how Flip judges his bench rotations.

Carlos is actually a very smart player, IMO. But it has gotten to the point where he has to go outside of his game to try to impress Flip for more minutes. In doing that he isn't playing to his strengths, and it's obvious when he's out on the court.

I would have no problem with not playing him that many minutes if Mo Evans weren't playing as well, but that's not the case. Mo seems to be able to play through the bad games, and still gets minutes. Delfino seems to be under a different set of rules despite the fact that he brings the defense everygame, where as Mo Evans needs to shoot the ball well to have an impact on the game. Not to mention the fact that Mo is horrible defensively at the Small Forward position.

We'll see what happens though. The Pistons can lock up HCA tomorrow, so he should see plenty of time in the few games following that.

SequSpur
04-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Flip is a dipshit anyways.

anthologyct
04-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Don't play defense anymore?

Check out the opponent's points allowed from last year, compared to this year.

Then check out the point differential between the 2 years.

Then check out the opponent FG%

x0xbillupsx0x
04-13-2006, 07:47 PM
yeah they allow 89.9 from last years 88.7 a game how horrible on defense,specially when their offense has only went up like 55%!

FreshPrince22
04-13-2006, 08:07 PM
yeah they allow 89.9 from last years 88.7 a game how horrible on defense,specially when their offense has only went up like 55%!

No, last year was 89.5. This year it's 89.48.

anthologyct
04-13-2006, 08:48 PM
No, last year was 89.5. This year it's 89.48.

You'll have to excuse that guy about the Detroit defense. ............... He's a Mavs fan! They won't get past San Antonio anyways.

Darrin
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Enough of this kid. He's a great player, but it's time for him to be traded.

FreshPrince22
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Enough of this kid. He's a great player, but it's time for him to be traded.
I don't get the logic. If he's a great player, he works hard, and he's not a selfish cancer, why would you get rid of him? I know this team has a habit of not letting young talent work out here (Darko, Memo), but come on. The talent purge has to stop some time.

Marklar MM
04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't get the logic. If he's a great player, he works hard, and he's not a selfish cancer, why would you get rid of him?

Let him succeed somewhere else, instead of him rotting away on the bench like Darko had been.

Darrin
04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't get the logic. If he's a great player, he works hard, and he's not a selfish cancer, why would you get rid of him? I know this team has a habit of not letting young talent work out here (Darko, Memo), but come on. The talent purge has to stop some time.

Because he ripped Joe Dumars and Larry Brown for not telling him he was on the playoff roster. He went back to Argentina last year because he didn't trust the American doctors that worked on him, and he ripped Flip earlier this season for talking to him about his minutes, and then not playing him.

The guy is 23-years-old, and my benefit-of-the-doubt is all used up. I like his game, I hate his attitude.

FreshPrince22
04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
and he ripped Flip earlier this season for talking to him about his minutes, and then not playing him.

Huh? What exactly is your definition of "ripped"?

ALL of the bench players have questioned the rotations. Mo Evans, Dice, Dale Davis, Arroyo, Darko, etc. ALL of them said the same thing. "He tells us to just be ready, but it's hard when you don't know when you're going to play". But when it's Delfino it's "ripped", eh?

By all accounts he is a changed man this year. He came into camp with an entirely different attitude after getting set straight by his father (a coach) over the summer.

FreshPrince22
04-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Let him succeed somewhere else, instead of him rotting away on the bench like Darko had been.

Or..... you could let him play here and succeed. Ever think about that?

Bruno
04-14-2006, 05:20 AM
I remember few months ago, Pistons fans saying on this board that Pistons have a brightest future because their young players were with their team and not overseas. Few months later :
- Darko : traded and wasn't happy because he hasn't enough playtime.
- Arroyo : traded.
- Delfino : not happy and will likely be traded (if this article is true).
- Maurice Evans : average player who isn't very young.
- Johnson and Acker : send in D League, staff have thought that they can learn more in a bad league (D League sucks) that practising with Pistons.
- Maxiell : has played 86 min of BB in nba this year. I don't see how he will play way more minutes next year with Wallace², McDyess and Davis back.

IMHO, not a great result.

mavsfan1000
04-14-2006, 05:29 AM
You'll have to excuse that guy about the Detroit defense. ............... He's a Mavs fan! They won't get past San Antonio anyways.
I agree. The Pistons won't get passed San Antonio.

ForestBrain
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
The article was incorrectly translated.

mike detroit
04-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I agree. The Pistons won't get passed San Antonio.

you're quite a fan, since implicit in this post is the assumption that dallas will not beat the spurs.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm quite a realist. No team beats the spurs since they are invinceable.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Because he ripped Joe Dumars and Larry Brown for not telling him he was on the playoff roster. He went back to Argentina last year because he didn't trust the American doctors that worked on him, and he ripped Flip earlier this season for talking to him about his minutes, and then not playing him.

The guy is 23-years-old, and my benefit-of-the-doubt is all used up. I like his game, I hate his attitude.
what the fuck does that have to do with his basketball skills anyway??? so he prefers doctors over here, whats the problem with that??

Nocioni
04-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Delfino will get his ring

Slomo
04-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Delfino will get his ringI didn't know he was engaged! Congrats.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I didn't know he was engaged! Congrats.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Nocioni
04-16-2006, 07:24 AM
I didn't know he was engaged! Congrats.
He will also get some experience

mavsfan1000
04-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Delfino will get his ring
I didn't know Delfino is going to the spurs. :lol

Nocioni
04-16-2006, 07:35 AM
I didn't know Delfino is going to the spurs. :lol
I didn't know mavsfans already given up to the spurs :lol

mavsfan1000
04-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Well it doesn't look likely with the way the Mavs are playing right now. I'll have to see how the mavs are playing in the playoffs in the first round.

spurschick
04-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Well it doesn't look likely with the way the Mavs are playing right now. I'll have to see how the mavs are playing in the playoffs in the first round.

Personally, I think the Mavs need one more year under Avery. Their defense improved drastically this year, but they're still coming up a bit short. If they stay on the right course, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the WCF next year. Of course, this would also depend on how they do the seeding.

ForestBrain
04-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Mavs fans have no faith in their team, I can understand why. But gosh, they lose a couple of games and all of the sudden they suck. Sheesh. Make up your mind. The Mavs are almost tied for 2nd best team in the NBA. All they have to do is prove them selves. And they probably lost the last two games because they are tired and need a little rest before the playoffs. AJ is a little too rough on them. I think Dallas and SA are going head to head in the western conference finals, and it will go to game 7. Who will win is still up in the air. But Dirk isn't going to let them lose earlier, that man wants to win a ring, real bad.
BTW, I really respect the Spurs, think they are a great team, ARE the team to beat, more than the Pistons, because they won the championship last year. Timmy is just getting older, and slowing down. He isn't the player he was before. But he is still pretty darn good.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Mavs fans have no faith in their team, I can understand why. But gosh, they lose a couple of games and all of the sudden they suck. Sheesh. Make up your mind. The Mavs are almost tied for 2nd best team in the NBA. All they have to do is prove them selves. And they probably lost the last two games because they are tired and need a little rest before the playoffs. AJ is a little too rough on them. I think Dallas and SA are going head to head in the western conference finals, and it will go to game 7. Who will win is still up in the air. But Dirk isn't going to let them lose earlier, that man wants to win a ring, real bad.
BTW, I really respect the Spurs, think they are a great team, ARE the team to beat, more than the Pistons, because they won the championship last year. Timmy is just getting older, and slowing down. He isn't the player he was before. But he is still pretty darn good.

Too bad they will meet in the second round and for whatever slippage Duncan has had Parker has improved his game to make up for it. Ginobili hasn't played his best basketball yet and I expect he will in the playoffs. Also Duncan has PF and he is not old.

ForestBrain
04-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Duncan is beat up. And BTW, mavsfan, I also am a mavericks fan, you may know me on Mavtalk......
I should clarify these things. I am originally from Michigan, and moved to texas seven years ago, that is why I like both teams.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Beat up as in PF. His movement isn't as good so it could be a factor in the mavs series. Right now probably Dampier could keep up with him. :lol