PDA

View Full Version : Backing up the point

Solid D
04-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, there is some shoring-up to do as the Spurs get ready for the playoffs. There have been some issues with health, interest and intensity of late. There has even been a personal family loss, as has been the case with Robert Horry. The Spurs, through all of this lackluster finish to the season, are a team built for the playoffs.

To be sure, the Spurs need to gather themselves now and find a good rhythm and build a sense of confidence. The team defense, that has been an odd work-in-progress this season, will need to tighten up now.

The Spurs do have an efficiency issue they need to correct soon. That efficiency issue is the drop-off in production (+/-) when Tony Parker sits. Tony's dramatic improvement in consistency and aggressive, confident play this season is the primary reason the Spurs have won 60 games this season. Something they didn't do last season, even though they ended up with an NBA Championship.

Last season, Manu picked up the scoring efficiency and tempo when Tony sat but Manu has been banged up a bit more this year. Nick Van Exel and Beno Udrih have had good moments, but the team has struggled in holding leads when either of them initiates the offense. Part of that has had to do with their defensive efficiency, to be sure. Now it's time for them to earn their pay.

I was reminded last night of how bad the drop-off is when Tony isn't out there pushing the tempo and Manu isn't there to pick up the slack. I was also reminded of what might have been...Jameer Nelson. On draft night in June 2004, the Spurs had apparently worked out a trade with Utah to trade up for the 21st pick to draft Jameer. Denver took Nelson at #20 and traded him to Orlando, thus throwing a wet blanket on what might have given the Spurs a similar backcourt tandem to the Parker-Claxton combination of the '03 Championship team. The Spurs ended up selecting Beno and using that future 1st round pick to trade for Nazr Mohammed later in 2005, however it causes me to occasionally wonder what might have happened if the Spurs had been able to pull that draft-day trade off to get Jameer. Things have worked out, never-the-less, for the Spurs.

One of the keys for the Spurs' playoff confidence and success lies in their ability to defend opposing PGs, while keeping the offensive flow and scoring punch alive when TP rests. The Spurs have that occasionally with Nick and Beno but it stands out like a sore thumb when they don't. NVE brings mature leadership along with a big-game, big-shot mentality. Beno is excellent at throwing the ball ahead and rewarding the wing runners for their effort, making a crafty pass or strip of the ball, or hitting the mid-range jumper.

It's time for the backup PGs to step up their intensity and their contributions at both ends of the floor. It's time for the plus to exceed the minus, for a change. It's time for the REAL SEASON to begin!

Bruno
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Or Spurs could have drafted Chris Duhon in 2004. He isn't great but he is a good defender and a solid player.... Hindsight....

For the playoff :
- NVE is the first option as backup PG. Even if he isn't healthy, some cortisone shoot can be enough. He will maybe not be a great scorer but he will make few mistakes.
- Barry can be a solution if the opposite PG isn't too fast.
- Udrih won't play : I don't think Pop trust him enough and he hasn't played a lot of minutes this year.
- Ginobili is a safe solution if nothing else work.

Dario
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Exactly, its down to trust. I just hope NVE will wake up, but i doubt it. But nevertheless, spurs won last year with barry being part time backup PG, no reason they can't do it this year.

Rummpd
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I do not understand the seemingly permanent benching of Beno (unless he is still hurt?).

Van Exel has one gear = fire away.