PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to be CoY?

spurschick
04-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Avery has gotten the Mavs to spell D-E-F-E-N-S-E, but they still haven't mastered it.

Phil Jackson, while I hate to admit it, seems to have made a difference.

Byron Scott - they didn't make the playoffs, but they got a helluva lot closer than anyone could have expected considering the circumstances.

I know there are others to throw into this and it's usually a coach that makes it into the post-season, but I really think that Scott should be considered the top candidate.

Thoughts?

King
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I'd say Avery, Flip, or Mike D'Antoni.

spurschick
04-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I'd say Avery, Flip, or Mike D'Antoni.

I can't include Flip in the mix since he basically inherited an incredibly healthy team that already had chemistry.

genghisrex
04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd give it to AJ.

Pistons < Spurs
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I can't include Flip in the mix since he basically inherited an incredibly healthy team that already had chemistry.

Yes, Flip inhereted one hell of a team that already knew what they were doing........but, EVERYONE in the preseason said that Detroit would have this huge drop-off by replacing LB w/ Flip.

It was supposed to be our Dooms-Day event.

Instead, Flip opened our offense, and allowed our players to play.

Career years for RIP and Chauncey due largely to the new offense, aswell as their first All-Star appearances. And Chauncey is a possible MVP candidate running this new offense. Something that would not have been possible w/ LB's half court style.

Best record in the league, and porbably a franchise record in wins (tied as of now @ 63 wins).

I don't know if Flip should win. But he sure as hell should be mentioned in the short list.

My finalists would also be Flip, Avery and D'antoni. I could not argue if any of those 3 won.

Guru of Nothing
04-14-2006, 08:36 PM
The Pistons dominated the regular season - Flip gets the award.

It's that simple.

Yes, Flip inhereted one hell of a team that already knew what they were doing........but, EVERYONE in the preseason said that Detroit would have this huge drop-off by replacing LB w/ Flip.

It was supposed to be our Dooms-Day event.

Instead, Flip opened our offense, and allowed our players to play.

Career years for RIP and Chauncey due largely to the new offense, aswell as their first All-Star appearances. And Chauncey is a possible MVP candidate running this new offense. Something that would not have been possible w/ LB's half court style.

Best record in the league, and porbably a franchise record in wins (tied as of now @ 63 wins).

I don't know if Flip should win. But he sure as hell should be mentioned in the short list.

My finalists would also be Flip, Avery and D'antoni. I could not argue if any of those 3 won.

Kori Ellis
04-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Most people I know are considering Scott, D'Antoni or Avery. I haven't heard any writers I know voting for Flip. Anything can happen though.

Guru of Nothing
04-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Plus, Flip took a veteran-led Larry Brown campionship caliber team, and made them better (ALTHOUGH, the players themselves had the biggest role in team improvement).

Guru of Nothing
04-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Most people I know are considering Scott, D'Antoni or Avery. I haven't heard any writers I know voting for Flip. Anything can happen though.

Then Flip can take comfort in the fact that the best coach rarely gets COY.

Pistons < Spurs

Yeah, I really haven't either.

admack35
[QUOTE]I can't include Flip in the mix since he basically inherited an incredibly healthy team that already had chemistry.

Under L.B. the offense was stagnant and had a hard time scoring 100 points, one season later they could beat you with the defense still, but also outscore you. That has to be worth at least honorable mention.

Mark in Austin
04-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Since the award can't be given to Chris Paul or Steve Nash, I'd vote for Scott.

spurschick
04-14-2006, 08:45 PM

I don't remember those preseason conversations. The Pistons have always been talented and I truly think that LB is extremely overrated. If anything, I don't credit Flip with this season's accomplishments as much as I blame LB for holding the Pistons back last year.

ALVAREZ6
04-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Flip.

SenorSpur
04-14-2006, 09:17 PM
It's got to be Avery.

Sense
04-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Avery.....

The guy took over, and I gotta admit I doubted him...

He changed a Offense minded team into a somewhat defense minded one now...

Flip did the opposite, which is alot easier...

I say avery, for being the closest to having the perfect system, the first would be Pop's :P

Vinnie_Johnson
04-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Best record in the NBA Flip should get COY runner up Avery nice job in Dallas.

Chris
04-14-2006, 11:24 PM
avery.

Leetonidas
04-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Popovich. With the injuries we've had to deal with throughout the year, the Spurs are still 60+ in the W column.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Fuck it. Let's give every award to the Suns. D'Antoni deserves coach of the year as much as Nash deserves MVP and Diaw deserves most improved.

Rynospursfan
04-15-2006, 04:29 AM
This is a tough issue. D'Antoni, Avery, and Scott all deserve major consideration. I think Laurence Frank should also be mentioned, his team continued to impropove as the season proggessed. Pop and Mike Dunleavy did a great job as well. But I think you have to give this one to Byron Scott. The way he dealt with incredibly difficult situations this year takes the cake. Katrina, Oklahoma City, Chris Paul, Birdman, David West. What more can you say he is COY!

Fuck it. Let's give every award to the Suns. D'Antoni deserves coach of the year as much as Nash deserves MVP and Diaw deserves most improved.

Sounds good to me as long as the Spurs get this one:

http://www.spudart.org/etc/sports/images/larryobrientrophy_150.jpg

Jimcs50
04-15-2006, 08:07 AM
D'Antoni has to win. Everyone in the world would have said that Phoenix would not have made the playoffs had they knwn that Amare would miss 79 games this year. They not only made playoffs, they won the division and will make WCFs.

Detroit had the same team as last year, and they had zero injuries, with no problems at all for Fip to deal with...I could have coached this team to the playoffs, that is a given.

ponky
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
this is a no-brainer, Avery, look at his record, length of time in the league as a coach, he has one current All-Star on his team (and one former in Stack) but his team is mostly youth (Marquis, J-Ho, Devin, Powell, Mbenga, Diop)...Byron Scott would have come into consideration if his team could've just eked out an 8th seed with a winning record...the problem with D'Antoni is that people tend to focus on Amare's absence and not on Marion's *always been a superstar* status...Marion has ALWAYS had great game and I'm just glad it's back in the spotlight...plus, they picked up some great acquisitions in Kurt Thomas, Brian Grant, Tim Thomas, Eddie House

weebo
04-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd give it to Dunleavy in Clipperland. Its been quite a spell since the Clips even smelled the playoffs.

sa_butta
04-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Id like to see Avery get it, he has done well there this year.

Vingianx
04-15-2006, 12:16 PM
byron scott

picnroll
04-15-2006, 12:30 PM
So Flip gets it because he didn't screw up a great situation? He made a team that most had anywhere from1st to 3rd in the East the top team.

I think D'Antoni is the surprise turning over a team with the loss of Johnson, Q, Hunter, playing with his power players, Amare, K Thomas and Grant injured all or a large part of the season and still having the third best record in the West.

When Amare went down before the start of the season how many had the Suns as the third best team in the West? How many had them making the playoffs?

SAGambler
04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Scott would have to be my number 1 pick. I mean, how much more can a team go through than he has had to take those guys through?

Simply the fact he kept them competitive should do it this year. They could have easily gone in the dumpster and no one would have thought much about it.

After Scott would have to be A.J.

I don't get why D'Antoni is even among the top runners. I mean Phoenix still plays Phoenix ball, and will probably take an early exit from the playoffs because of that.

Flip...Well, I would have to see how Flip does this time around in the playoffs. I'm not convinced this guy has done any more than coach an already great team. He has had very little adversity during the year (except for Sheed's Ts.). A healthy group of guys that stayed healthy. And why do I get the feeling the team runs him instead of him running the team?

Of course, I think Pop should get it because of his teams consistant performance, year in and year out. That's not just some accident. Of course, since it is expected of the Spurs, I doubt he even gets any consideration.

SAGambler
04-15-2006, 12:44 PM
this is a no-brainer, Avery, look at his record, length of time in the league as a coach, he has one current All-Star on his team (and one former in Stack) but his team is mostly youth (Marquis, J-Ho, Devin, Powell, Mbenga, Diop)...Byron Scott would have come into consideration if his team could've just eked out an 8th seed with a winning record...the problem with D'Antoni is that people tend to focus on Amare's absence and not on Marion's *always been a superstar* status...Marion has ALWAYS had great game and I'm just glad it's back in the spotlight...plus, they picked up some great acquisitions in Kurt Thomas, Brian Grant, Tim Thomas, Eddie House

Yeah, I gotta agree with this assesment of D'Antoni. Everyone seems to forget that Marion, probably more so than Amare is what makes that team as good as they are. And the new people they got aren't slouches by any stretch of the imagination.

And what is wrong with that team is what has always been wrong with that team. They just shoot and hope they put up more points than the other guy. Defense is a strange word to them. That's why they won't reach the Finals. When other teams lock down on their 3 point shooting, they suffer, since they are nearly always going to give up points going the other direction.

ShoogarBear
04-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Actually, a lot of people (like me) said that Detroit would have a better regular season under Flip, just because they players would be motivated to show up LB.

If Detroit doesn't win the East, will any Piston fans think Flip deserves CoY? Thank you.

cs100
04-15-2006, 07:55 PM
My vote would be either Avery or Mike Brown.

Reasons I have heard given against specific coaches:

Avery -- dallas always wins between 55-60 games every year. They have yet to prove that they play good enough defense to validate their coach's achievements.

D'Antoni -- his system would not work if he didn't have Nash. It is Nash that runs the team, not D'Antoni.

Flip -- all he has done is allowed freedom in the offense. Pistons are adults who understand from their previous coach how important defense is. Also Barry Switser analysis.

Byron Scott -- team did not make the playoffs.

Just food for thought. Like I said, I would give it to either AJ or Brown.

Chris Childs
04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
What was Flip's wolves record when they released him?