PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy theory

rasho8
04-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Once again the sports news channels are talking about how horrible a finals between the Spurs and Pistons will be... and they are hoping a jazzy fast paced team will make an upset.

They also dont like Dallas and Pistons...

Now, everyone knows, barring Sheed and Ben getting struck and killed by lightning, that the Pistons will get to the finals, everyone also knows that barring injury and cxrappy defense the Spurs are going to get there as well... playoff basketball is all about defense and energy, which both teams have, and controlling the pace of the game.

Heres my theory.

Last years finals were a fraud for the first four games.
No one... I mean no one, can actually believe the Spurs would blow the Pistons out twice at home while Detriot kind of hung out and watched them score, then jog around for two games as Detroit went on a shooting practice for 96 minutes... then suddenly a finals contest breaks out in three extremely close, incredibly good games.

My theory... the NBA said were going to 7 games, no one wants to see this matchup, the most money can be made with a full series and everyone will watch. Spurs get the first two at home, Pistons get the second, and its best of 3 Spurs with HCA. Why else would they change it to a 2-3-2 series?

Heres my question, how many of you out there think the same thing will happen this year when the 2005 finals repeat in 2006? Will it be best of 7 or another fixed best of 3?

mike detroit
04-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Once again the sports news channels are talking about how horrible a finals between the Spurs and Pistons will be... and they are hoping a jazzy fast paced team will make an upset.

They also dont like Dallas and Pistons...

Now, everyone knows, barring Sheed and Ben getting struck and killed by lightning, that the Pistons will get to the finals, everyone also knows that barring injury and cxrappy defense the Spurs are going to get there as well... playoff basketball is all about defense and energy, which both teams have, and controlling the pace of the game.

Heres my theory.

Last years finals were a fraud for the first four games.
No one... I mean no one, can actually believe the Spurs would blow the Pistons out twice at home while Detriot kind of hung out and watched them score, then jog around for two games as Detroit went on a shooting practice for 96 minutes... then suddenly a finals contest breaks out in three extremely close, incredibly good games.

My theory... the NBA said were going to 7 games, no one wants to see this matchup, the most money can be made with a full series and everyone will watch. Spurs get the first two at home, Pistons get the second, and its best of 3 Spurs with HCA. Why else would they change it to a 2-3-2 series?

Heres my question, how many of you out there think the same thing will happen this year when the 2005 finals repeat in 2006? Will it be best of 7 or another fixed best of 3?

I've never understood why they think no one wants to see that matchup. detroit is insanely popular all around the country due to bandwagoners and the fact that detroiters tend to move away from our horrible city and settle all over the place. San Antonio is in texas and we all know texans are everwhere(same applies for dallas). who the hell would they rather have in the finals? sorry guys, new york vs. LA ain't going to happen.

JamStone
04-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Stern wants Heat-Lakers.

Last year, first two blowouts were due to the Spurs playing great at home against a team that had just battled SHAQ-FU for seven hard fought games. They only had a day off between game 7 of the ECF and game 1 of the Finals. The two blowouts in Detroit were due to a rejuvenation of energy and homecooking.

I can almost buy a conspiracy theory. But, I think the players and the coaches (especially THESE SPURS AND PISTONS players and coaches) have way too much pride to go along with a conspiracy of rigging games for the NBA. Nets-Spurs weren't very entertaining for non-Spurs or non-Nets fans, and it didn't go 7 games.

The fact is the two teams are both very good and very proud. Neither team was going to lay down even after a butt-whooping on either side.

If both teams make it back to the Finals, I don't really see a seven game series. Tim and Manu being hobbled make a huge difference. Unless they get closer to playing 100%, I think Detroit has a decided advantage this year.

P.S. How come when you talk about the Spurs' chances of making it to the finals, you say "barring injury and crappy defense," but when you talk about the Pistons' chances of making it back to the finals, you write "barring Sheed and Ben getting struck and KILLED by lightning."

Do people really have to post comments like that?

SAGambler
04-15-2006, 11:11 AM
P.S. How come when you talk about the Spurs' chances of making it to the finals, you say "barring injury and crappy defense," but when you talk about the Pistons' chances of making it back to the finals, you write "barring Sheed and Ben getting struck and KILLED by lightning."

Well, I don't really buy this "all but a given". Things could happen to either squad along the way.

After all, they do play the games, don't they? Wouldn't make much sense to play them, if the outcome was already a given.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Wallace and Duncan both have jerseys in the top 10 of sales for the league, and the NBA has done a better job of marketing both teams this year.

I think the thing is the league realized Detroit and SA aren't going anywhere and have finally decided to start hypeing both teams instead of trying to pimp an individual player.

Despot
04-15-2006, 11:18 AM

I took that as a compliment for the Pissons. As in the Spurs can be done in by mundane obstacles, however it would take an act of god to stop the Pissons from reaching the Finals.

rasho8
04-15-2006, 12:19 PM

Because the Pistons are so good this year that barring a freak accident there is no way they will lose.

The Spurs seem to be struggling, and as much as I love them and want them to win... they have to step it up because recently, even though these games dont really matter in the long run, they arent playing up to the Pistons energy and ferocity.

Slomo
04-15-2006, 12:22 PM
I took that as a compliment for the Pissons. As in the Spurs can be done in by mundane obstacles, however it would take an act of god to stop the Pissons from reaching the Finals.Me too :lol

Actually I thought it was funny since getting struck by lightning alone would not have been enough to stop them. :lmao