PDA

View Full Version : Spurs commit to Rocky Mountain Revue

Kori Ellis
04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
With the growing popularity of the Las Vegas summer league, teams aren't that interested in Salt Lake anymore. But it seems the Spurs are still going to be playing there.

Jazz: O'Connor keeping summer Revue open

By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_3713592

It's hard enough to lure free agents to Salt Lake. Now Kevin O'Connor has to entice entire teams to commit to Utah.

"There's been some recruiting involved, absolutely," O'Connor said of the time he has spent over the past month collecting enough commitments to keep the Rocky Mountain Revue afloat for another year. "I made sure I kept talking to people, letting them know what we're doing and how much we'd like to have them here."

His efforts have convinced five other teams to join the Jazz this summer, essentially the minimum number to justify the effort and expense of putting on the Revue. "We've got six teams, six solid teams, so that will keep us going," O'Connor said. "We would love to have it be a little bigger if we could. But with six, that gives us a workable number."

The Mavericks, Spurs, Sonics and Hawks have agreed to send their rookies and tryouts to the Revue again this year, but the Bobcats pulled out. After calling around and making his pitch, O'Connor received a commitment from the Sixers for this summer's Revue, tentatively scheduled to run July 14-21 at Salt Lake Community College's Redwood campus.

"That gives us three games a day, and gives us a chance to have a couple of days off during the Revue, so teams don't have to play three days in a row," O'Connor said. "It's a good situation for fans, and I think everyone appreciates the fan support we get."

It's far more difficult to attract teams than it used to be, due to the swift rise of the Las Vegas Summer League. It's easier to convince first- and second-year veterans to spend a week in Las Vegas, so teams have clamored to join that league. In fact, at least 18 teams want to send squads to Las Vegas; according to published reports, the NBA may enforce a 16-team limit there.

The appeal of Salt Lake is the opposite - O'Connor points out that players have far fewer distractions in Utah. "Everything is about basketball here," he said. "We'd like to keep the Revue going for as long as we can."

David@SLCC
04-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Yes, I guess we can't compete with Vegas. Oh well, we'll still welcome all of our guests with open arms! Hopefully the Revue will come back strong in future years.

Kori Ellis
04-15-2006, 09:51 PM
It looks like LJ and I will come to Salt Lake for RMR again this year. Hopefully we'll see you there, David.

David@SLCC
04-15-2006, 09:55 PM
It would be great to see you guys. The RMR missed you last year.

missmyzte
04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I wish they'd do the SPL again, that was fun.

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2006, 04:52 AM
i dont seriously really get it, hostin an event like that doesnt cost that much money right??

why dont the texan teams houston/mavs/spurs jointly host one of these summer tourneys, im sure teams will come and compete. would u rather want ur team to play against powerhouses to see how ur team stacks up against them, or play against scrub teams?

Kori Ellis
04-16-2006, 04:54 AM
i dont seriously really get it, hostin an event like that doesnt cost that much money right??

why dont the texan teams houston/mavs/spurs jointly host one of these summer tourneys, im sure teams will come and compete. would u rather want ur team to play against powerhouses to see how ur team stacks up against them, or play against scrub teams?

I don't understand what you are asking. All the teams are about equal in summer league because it is only the first and second year players and the guys who aren't even in the NBA yet. It's not the regular veteran players playing.