PDA

View Full Version : That "song"

T Park
04-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Is there a song, that reminds you of someone?

Someone you love, used to love, lost, or hate?

Me for an example, "Bless the Broken Road" was me and my ex fiance's song.

It reminds me of those fantastic years we spent together, and the love we had.

Its a sad, happy mix. :)

Darrin
04-16-2006, 02:42 AM
-"Good Riddance" by Green Day is my graduation song.
-Family Tradition" by Hank Williams, Jr. is Christmas with the family.
-One Week" by BNL is freshman year of HS.
-50's "21 Questions" is the sticky summer of 2003. A very good summer.
-I'll be" by Edwin McCain is first love.
- "My All" by Mariah Carey was my first serious breakup song.
- The "Ignition Remix" by R.Kelly is my first drinking song.
- I lost my virginity to Babyface's "The Day" Album.
- Two albums I listen to - Aerosmith's "Pump" and Garth Brooks' "Fresh Horses" - those are that last innocent summer.
- "I believe" by Brooks and Dunn makes me think about my father's death.

I associate songs more with events in my life more than people.

JMarkJohns
04-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Two, actually. Both from an unknowned band named SHEESH.

The first was called "Sad", the other was the secret song at their album's end.

She was the best friend of another girl I knew. I'd known her for three years and had been good friends with her for two at the point of realization.

She was away for the summer, off scouting potential colleges. I was just pondering her ways and decided to take the step blind as neither of us had given any real indication there could be anything more.

Anyways, I tought myself to play both songs, then recorded my renditions of the songs, then mailed the tape. The entire summer went by and no word. I was a freakin' wreck.

When she came back, she acted like nothing had happened.

That's because it didn't. She never got the tapes.

When I found this out, I decided to play them for her.

She was floored.

We dated for a year and were then engaged for nearly a year when she decided to break things off. Seems she hadn't sown enough oats in her day.

Oh well...

"I look in the mirror and there's nothing but the wall behind me. What will it take to be real... I look in the mirror and there's nothing but the wall behind me. What will it take to be real to you..."
- "Untitled", SHEESH

Two years later they are still a tough liston. Even harder to play. Still, I do both from time to time...

"Aimlessly I wonder, hoping for the best. Wishing upon a star, feeling lucky I guess. As time drags on, I realize with fright, that the time I ache for is nowhere in sight."
- "Sad", SHEESH

Good thread.

ChumpDumper
04-16-2006, 03:00 AM
"Cindy of 1000 Lives" by Billy Bragg reminds me of a woman named Cindy who was probably the smartest person I ever knew. It was a curse for her.

"Afterglow" by Genesis reminds me of my dearly departed brother.

And I would search everywhere
Just to hear your call,
And walk upon stranger roads than this one
In a world I used to know before.
For now I've lost everything,
I give to you my soul.
The meaning of all that I believed before
Escapes me in this world of none,
I miss you more.

"Won't Give In" by the Finn Brothers reminds me that I still have family left and I better hang on to them.

Once in a while I return to the fold
With people I call my own
Even if time is just a flicker of light
And we all have to die alone
What does it mean when you belong to someone
When you're born with a name, when you carry it on

It means that I won't give in, won't give in, won't give in
'Cause everyone I love is here
Say it once, just say it, and disappear

CharlieMac
04-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Rumpshaker and whoop there it is.

JMarkJohns
04-16-2006, 03:16 AM
The first song I heard after I got news my 22 year old cousin had suddenly died was "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd.

Was in such complete shock I couldn't deal at the time. Got in my car to drive to work and hit the first not of the song. I didn't make it a block before I had to pull over from the steady flow of tears.

another...
When I was four years old, my dad had his covertable top down when "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen came on. He told me that if I'm ever in the car, behind the wheel, to go ahead and roll the top and/or windows down, turn the radio up and drive for the duration of the song.

It's happened three times in my life (counting that initial time) and all three times are a charished memory.

Again, this is a great thread. It's amazing what a song can evoke...

Kori Ellis
04-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Wow, you guys have some intense memories connected to songs.

I have some songs that LJ and I listened to a lot when we first were together, but other than that I don't really connect to anything else from songs.

Darrin
04-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Wow, you guys have some intense memories connected to songs.

I have some songs that LJ and I listened to a lot when we first were together, but other than that I don't really connect to anything else from songs.

How about Spurs games?

I keep some Pistons games. In April of 2002, they clinched their first division title in 12 years and Ben Wallace sat out allowing Zelly Rebraca to have a damn-near triple-double in his place.

I can't watch that game without thinking about pulling out of the parking lot of Crittenton Hospital in Rochester on a dark, rainy night where all you could see through the fog of the windows were the orange street lights. I'm taken back to that night because I had spent a day-long vigil over my Grandmother's bed. She died 4 days later of esophageal cancer.

I remember staying up late in the basement at the house I grew up in with my brother asleep on the couch next to me watching the Pistons-Kings on the west coast. I couldn't hear the basketball game because the volume was low, and my parents were standing over my head on the main floor having a heated argument about something. Research allows me to pinpoint the date to March 14, 1992 or about six months before my father moved out of the house.

That's not wierd, is it?

Kori Ellis
04-16-2006, 03:43 AM
How about Spurs games?

I keep some Pistons games. In April of 2002, they clinched their first division title in 12 years and Ben Wallace sat out allowing Zelly Rebraca to have a damn-near triple-double in his place.

I can't watch that game without thinking about pulling out of the parking lot of Crittenton Hospital in Rochester on a dark, rainy night where all you could see through the fog of the windows were the orange street lights. I'm taken back to that night because I had spent a day-long vigil over my Grandmother's bed. She died 4 days later of esophageal cancer.

I remember staying up late in the basement at the house I grew up in with my brother asleep on the couch next to me watching the Pistons-Kings on the west coast. I couldn't hear the basketball game because the volume was low, and my parents were standing over my head on the main floor having a heated argument about something. Research allows me to pinpoint the date to March 14, 1992 or about six months before my father moved out of the house.

That's not wierd, is it?

No, that's not weird.

I can remember a lot of childhood stuff based on certain baseball games that were on TV at the time.

SA Gunslinger
04-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Mariposa Tracionera by Mana - Reminds me of a girl I loved once.

Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses - Reminds me of another girl I loved once.

Comedown by Bush, Possum Kingdom by Toadies, and Crazy by Aerosmith remind of strippers I once knew.

Word up by Cameo reminds me of playing basketball in my youth on Friday nights in Emerald Valley. Then gorging ourselves on Little Caesars pizza and washing it down with those huge fountain drinks at Stop 'n Go.

It Takes Two and Baby's Got Back reminds me of when all my friends were spending serious jack on audio systems for their cars and trucks.

The Dance by Garth Brooks reminds me of my friends during my twenties in San Antonio.

lilmads
04-16-2006, 11:05 AM
K-Ci and JoJo- All My life; it was my ex-bf and my song... good memories...
Puff Daddy- I'll Be Missing You; came out the time that my uncle passed away
Khaled- Aisha; my first slow dance:)

Lots more, but I cant think of any right now.. I just got up:)

kris
04-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Songs associate a lot of memories for me.

"Oh What a Night" by Frankie Vallie.

Ohhhhhh What a Night indeed ;)

MannyIsGod
04-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Anything on the first POTUSA album and Sixteen Stone by Bush remind me a lot of playing basketball in high school because thats what we usually had playing on the way to the courts. Actually in general all of that reminds me of HS.

Old Offpsring reminds me of a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We listned to that back and for and back and forth.

Actually, I have a ton of memories tied to music in a way, I could go on and on and on.

Jekka
04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Most of Tom Petty's music I associate with summers spent in New Mexico - my dad and sister and I would all pile into the station wagon for the 15 hour drive to Santa Fe and play Tom Petty most of the way there and back.

My dad was a music freak and there were a lot of songs he would play especially for me that I still love and associate with him to this day - like "Song from Half Mountain" by Dan Fogelberg, "Cinnamon Girl" by Neil Young, "Only You Know and I Know" by Dave Mason, and Jackson Browne's "These Days" along with a whole bunch of others.

"Age of Consent" by New Order and "Taxi Ride" by Tori Amos are my songs for my best friend.

"Cannonball" by Damien Rice is pretty much Manny's and my song we decided, but "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell makes me think of him, too.

angel_luv
04-16-2006, 07:38 PM
You can't have this thread without mentioning last year's play offs and " This is how a heart breaks."

:)

midgetonadonkey
04-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Kottonmouth King's Royal Highness album bring back very hazy memories of my year living in College Station.

Biz Markie's Just a Friend reminds me of the time I dropped 3 hits of acid and looped that song for a couple of hours and spent the entire time laughing.

And just recently You're Beautiful reminds me of a great person.

Darrin
04-16-2006, 10:18 PM
You can't have this thread without mentioning last year's play offs and " This is how a heart breaks."

:)

I'm not just saying this because the Pistons lost - I hate that song. I hated it the first time I heard that song. I'm not a big Rob Thomas fan and between "This is how a heart breaks" and "Fall on Me," I'm ready to never listen to another Rob Thomas CD for the rest of my life.

I appreciated the two choices the year before - "Let's get it started" by the Black Eyed Peas and "Live and Let Die" by the Beatles. Both seemed much more appropriate and much easier to edit. I had never heard "This is how a heart breaks" befor ethe playoffs, but I could tell they cut lyrics out which was just as obnoxious as the song. The footage of Thomas in those videos that were cut together: he's not singing the lyrics; the audio doesn't matchup.

It got to the point that I muted the television during the song.A part of me is glad the Pistons didn't win a title so I didn't have to watch a 5-minute footage video with "This is how a heart breaks" playing over it.

Spurminator
04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
"You Were Meant For Me" by Jewel reminds me of my high school girlfriend, who, after I broke up with her, played that song on my answering machine and pretty much validated my decision.

E20
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Since you've been gone by Kelly Clarkson. It's a nice song. :lol

1Parker1
04-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Since you've been gone by Kelly Clarkson. It's a nice song. :lol

:lol

Vashner
04-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Chopin Nocturnes 18

Faccia di Angelo
04-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Songs associate a lot of memories for me.

I'm the exact same way. I could go on and on too. But just to name a few:
Fuel-Shimmer: Reminds me of my five year relationship

Coldplay-Green Eyes, Avril Lavigne-So Much for my Happy Ending, Tim Mcgraw/Faith Hill- Like We Never Loved at All: Reminds me of my last ex

Rascal Flatts-What Hurts the Most, Three Doors Down-Let Me Go :Reminds me of the one who, no matter how hard I tried to show I loved and would make happy, just wouldn't let me.

travis2
04-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm not just saying this because the Pistons lost - I hate that song. I hated it the first time I heard that song. I'm not a big Rob Thomas fan and between "This is how a heart breaks" and "Fall on Me," I'm ready to never listen to another Rob Thomas CD for the rest of my life.

I appreciated the two choices the year before - "Let's get it started" by the Black Eyed Peas and "Live and Let Die" by the Beatles. Both seemed much more appropriate and much easier to edit. I had never heard "This is how a heart breaks" befor ethe playoffs, but I could tell they cut lyrics out which was just as obnoxious as the song. The footage of Thomas in those videos that were cut together: he's just singing the lyrics; the audio doesn't matchup.

It got to the point that I muted the television during the song. I hate that song, and part of me is glad the Pistons didn't win a title so I didn't have to watch a 5-minute footage video with "This is how a heart breaks" playing over it.

Ummmmm...that was Wings what did "Live and Let Die"...

pache100
04-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I always associate music/certain songs with specific times/events/people in my life. It's strange when you hear "that song", whoever you were with (friends or romantic interest) or whatever you were doing immediately comes to your mind. It's like your life is lived to a musical score.

"I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher was from my last year in Libya; my boyfriend's name was John.
"Crimson and Clover", Tommy James and the Shondells, reminds me of when we returned to the States and I started to high school, back with the kids I'd grown up with after being away for 2 years.
Anything by the Beach Boys reminds me of my junior and senior year in high school.
"Your Song", "Tiny Dancer", and "Funeral for a Friend" by Elton John remind me of graduation and just after.
That's when I started my Neil Young phase...so "Harvest" and "After the Gold Rush" (along with a ton of others) bring back that time.
Along about 1980, when the movie "Urban Cowboy" came out, I began to get into country music, so all the songs from that movie remind me of that particular time. My favorite, though, from that movie, is not even by a country artist..."Look What You've Done to Me" by Boz Scaggs (there is no better slow-dancing song in existence).

I have various associations with music or songs after that, but those were the most intense times. I guess I have mellowed to the point where the music in the background is not as important or effective as it once was to the skein of my life. Things like that happen when you get old.

pache100
04-17-2006, 09:26 AM
"Cinnamon Girl" by Neil Young,

GREAT SONG! One of my favorites by Neil. It's on a classic rock loop they play at Fuddrucker's, and I always get such a kick when I hear it in there.

(I have everything Neil Young has ever recorded that is available on CD; it's not like I can't listen to "Cinnamon Girl" anytime I want. :lol )

Darrin
04-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Ummmmm...that was Wings what did "Live and Let Die"...

Oops - my bad. I ass-u-med since Paul McCartney wrote it and has performed the song...

Ginofan
04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
~Anything off of Matchbox 20's first album - Past summers spent at SPI
~Eagles - my dad, he absolutely adores them and would play their songs over and over when we would go somewhere together.
~Keith Urban "Making Memories of Us" - Matthew and I's song
~retty much any uptempo DMB song - my cousin and I and our annual concert "trip"
~Tori Amos, Damien Rice, Dave, John Mayer - Jack & SP nights at Manny & Jess's, after we were all pretty much incapacitated just listening to songs with nothing else making a sound (cept for the occasional Spazz stirring)...good times.
~Warren G "Regulator" - Afterhours when I worked at Wherehouse Music.
~Limp Bizkit "Faith" Driving too and from HS with my friend Ruben.

I really didn't anticipate how much I could remember by just listening to a song or just an artist in general, neat stuff.

Dre_7
04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
The Nas album It Was Written. Not because of the music, just because I was spending ALOT of time with a certain lady friend, and I was really liking this album at around the same time. The album and the girl werent really connected to me until recently when I listened to the album for the first time in a while. All of a sudden, listening to it caused me to really miss this girl that I thought I was over. So now I have a hard time listening to that album.

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Alphaville's cover of Forever Young was my senior class song, but now when I hear it I think how stupid that movie Napolean Dynamite is. They played that version at their dance, and that song was popular in 1989/90 ... and it leaves me even more confused about what the hell time frame that movie is supposed to have taken place.

:wtf

Jekka
04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
GREAT SONG! One of my favorites by Neil. It's on a classic rock loop they play at Fuddrucker's, and I always get such a kick when I hear it in there.

(I have everything Neil Young has ever recorded that is available on CD; it's not like I can't listen to "Cinnamon Girl" anytime I want. :lol )

My dad and I used to mix tapes together off of his vinyl, and I used to make him put that song on almost every tape. Nowadays the man has discovered the wonder that is music DVDs - and the Neil Young Live at Red Rocks is pretty damn good. Cowgirl in the Sand runs like 20 minutes or so, it's awesome.

E20
04-21-2006, 01:14 PM
That one song by Hilary Duff. Come Clean or Let the rain fall. Just cause it's a good a song. :lol

pache100
04-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Anytime I hear anything by Johnny Cash, Tennessee Ernie Ford, or Hank Williams, Sr. takes me back to my childhood and doing stuff with my Daddy. I forgot all about that until I just heard "Walk the Line" on the radio. :)

tlongII
04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Is there a song, that reminds you of someone?

Someone you love, used to love, lost, or hate?

Me for an example, "Bless the Broken Road" was me and my ex fiance's song.

It reminds me of those fantastic years we spent together, and the love we had.

Its a sad, happy mix. :)

But you only went out with her for 2 months? :wtf

ploto
04-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Evanescence - My Immortal

Speaks for itself:

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone