PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs seek consistency over seed

Kori Ellis
04-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Spurs seek consistency over seed

Web Posted: 04/16/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041606.1C.BKNspurs.wolves.30d0342.html

MINNEAPOLIS — As the Spurs and Dallas Mavericks enter the final four days of their six-month pursuit of the Western Conference's best record, the biggest question is no longer which of them will finish with the No. 1 playoff seed.

Rather, what most recent observers of the two teams want to know is, does either want it?

The Spurs hold a 1 1/2-game lead over Dallas heading into today's game against Minnesota. But after suffering three loses in their just-completed five-game homestand, the Spurs have ceded control of the Southwest Division race as much as they have taken it.

Although Orlando was on its way to beating the Spurs on Thursday night, Mavericks coach Avery Johnson already had decided to shift his team's focus to preserving its health and prepping for the playoffs. When Dallas took the floor in Phoenix moments after the Spurs lost, it did so with starters Jerry Stackhouse and DeSagana Diop on the bench.

Of the 40 losses the Spurs and Mavericks have combined to suffer, 10 have come in the past three weeks.

"For us and Dallas it's been a little strange because we've had different injuries at different times and that's been tough to get a rhythm," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I think that's the most important thing for both teams going down the stretch. First and fourth isn't that much consequence.

"It's how well we're going to be playing (in the playoffs)."

That said, the Spurs would like to secure the division title and top seed as soon as possible, which explains why Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are expected to share the floor tonight in Minneapolis. A victory tonight coupled with a loss by the Mavericks against Utah would assure the Spurs of finishing first in the conference.

At worst, the Spurs will enter Wednesday's season finale in Houston still able to win the division with a victory over the Rockets.

"The more (the Mavericks) lose, the better," Ginobili said. "Less responsibility for us.

"But it's still going to be a tough end for us."

With its own playoff aspirations already snuffed out, Minnesota has held Kevin Garnett and Ricky Davis out of the lineup the past four games, but Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey offered no guarantee about the pair's status for tonight. And if the past two weeks have taught the Spurs anything, it's that they would be wise to avoid becoming complacent.

With 11 of their past 21 opponents having shot at least 47 percent, the Spurs also know they still have some work to do before the playoffs begin next weekend.

Said Tim Duncan: "It's about shoring up our defense."

"Everybody knowing what defense we're in at all points of the game — that communication is important throughout the game," Popovich said when asked what he would like to see the team improve upon. "Offensively, execution as far as not just being in the right place, but timing and quick recognition of what we're trying to do.

"You just want to get better and better in both of those areas for sure. Not much else is going to change."

Injuries have contributed to the recent struggles of both Dallas and the Spurs. The Mavericks have been trying to work Josh Howard, Devin Harris and Adrian Griffin back into the rotation. Ginobili has missed the past three games with a bruised left calf and Parker has been battling a stomach virus.

"I just think we're both playing multiple lineups," Popovich said. "I don't know if Avery feels similar, but we're searching for who should be in the game and who's playing well and who's not. It seems like every night, it's different people and there's no real consistency as far as what five are going to be on the court in synergy playing well together.

"It seems like the only teams that are doing that are Detroit and Orlando. Everybody else is trying to get there."

The Spurs were happy to see Duncan have his best performance in months Thursday when he scored 31 points, his second-most of the season.

"Tim Duncan looked like the Tim Duncan of old," Popovich said. "He just couldn't get any help from anybody. It was like a wasted effort on his part, but (his performance) was the best part of the whole game."

While the Spurs would like to find a little more rhythm before beginning the playoffs, maintaining their health is the top priority. They entered the 2004 postseason on a roll, having won 11 consecutive games, but still got bounced out by the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round.

If the Spurs clinch tonight, Popovich would be able to cut back the minutes of his regulars in the final two games.

"You can build something on (the last few games)," Ginobili said. "But pretty much you are who you are."

ploto
04-16-2006, 05:22 AM
"Everybody knowing what defense we're in at all points of the game — that communication is important throughout the game," Popovich said when asked what he would like to see the team improve upon. "Offensively, execution as far as not just being in the right place, but timing and quick recognition of what we're trying to do."

"I just think we're both playing multiple lineups," Popovich said. "I don't know if Avery feels similar, but we're searching for who should be in the game and who's playing well and who's not. It seems like every night, it's different people and there's no real consistency as far as what five are going to be on the court in synergy playing well together."

I think these 2 quotes contribute to the discussion I had primarily with one person about the rotation and it seeming not to be so set in stone as one would expect this late in the season.

boutons_
04-16-2006, 08:50 AM
It's too damn late not to know what the playoff rotation will be, for players to be so inconistent that Pop thinks he has to keep searching each game for somebody who happens to on his game for a quarter or so.

Bruno
04-16-2006, 10:23 AM
It's too damn late not to know what the playoff rotation will be, for players to be so inconistent that Pop thinks he has to keep searching each game for somebody who happens to on his game for a quarter or so.

Pop hasn't said he didn't know the rotation for the playoff. He says that players have been too inconsistant to play with the same rotation each game.

For the last month, only Parker, Bowen and Finley have given a consistent production. Other players have been inconsistent due to injuries, missed games, bad matchups and bad games.

Fabbs
04-16-2006, 10:48 AM
..."I think that's the most important thing for both teams going down the stretch. First and fourth isn't that much consequence.

"It's how well we're going to be playing (in the playoffs)."

That said, the Spurs would like to secure the division title and top seed as soon as possible, which explains why Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are expected to share the floor tonight in Minneapolis. A victory tonight coupled with a loss by the Mavericks against Utah would assure the Spurs of finishing first in the conference.

I see. Playing tonight will be so vital to their rhythm. Then they can sit for over a week, thats good for rhythm. Let me guess, if they do not clinch tonight, Pop will march the Big 3 out again for another b2b disaster. Ya its about health.

Totally disagree.

ploto
04-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the depth on the team. On a lot of teams, there are not that many options if someone isn't playing so well. The Spurs have quite an entire 5 man second string- 4 of 5 players have started more NBA games than they have come off the bench, and ironically, 3 of the 5 back-ups have actually started more NBA games that the starter they back up.

When I talk about the rotation, Bruno, I don't just mean who starts and who plays, but the actual rhythm and timing of when and who substitutes and who plays together. That does not seem so secure.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-16-2006, 11:38 AM
"I just think we're both playing multiple lineups," Popovich said. "I don't know if Avery feels similar, but we're searching for who should be in the game and who's playing well and who's not. It seems like every night, it's different people and there's no real consistency as far as what five are going to be on the court in synergy playing well together.

No one can get any consistency because you keep fucking with the lineups (yes, I know we've had guys hurt, but even when TP and Manu have been healthy Pop has done some curious rotations).

It's too late in the season to be fucking with rotations (outside of injuries), shoulda been doing that shit in the fall.

weebo
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Pop is doing a fine job with rotations this year. Keep up the good work.

Bruno
04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
When I talk about the rotation, Bruno, I don't just mean who starts and who plays, but the actual rhythm and timing of when and who substitutes and who plays together. That does not seem so secure.

It was the bad matchup and bad games part in my previous post.

Pop is a fiery coach sometimes and that's a reason why he makes strange subtistutions. When Nazr sucks against Howard, Pop goes berserk and put him out for Rasho after 3:30 in the first quarter.