PDA

View Full Version : GnR - Chinese Democracy

Nbadan
04-16-2006, 05:35 AM
http://www.gnr.org.uk/gnr/photo/oldgnr.jpg
Old Guns and Roses

http://www.gnr.org.uk/gnr/photo/newgnr.jpg
New Guns and Roses

Not a big GnR fan since their first album, but was privelged to hear a few tracks off their forth-coming album tentatively titled 'Chinese Democracy' and all I can say is WOW! Gone are most of Axl Roses winny-ass lyrics and in is excellent guitar handy-work, excellent mixing and production, and a new Axl Rose who sounds like no Axl you've ever heard before - trust me!

GnR the comeback in 06 - I Believe!

:hat

alamo50
04-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Better than "Velvet Revolver"?

exstatic
04-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Calling GnR GnR is like calling the Temptations the Temptations. Most, if not all of the original talent is gone. It's Axel and the No Names.

I was watching one of the VH1 retrospectives, and at the end, they were talking to Slash. He said that record companies are STILL trying to throw a mountain of cash at the original GnR members for a reunion, but that to everyone besides Axel, it's about mutual respect, and they (hint: Axel) are still lightyears from that. Axel has this habit of showing up late for 25% of the gigs, and not showing up at all for another 25%. He's a rock Diva, and most of the rest of the guys have enough success outside of GnR that they don't need that shit.

spurschick
04-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I was, and still am, a huge GnR fan, although I was pretty disappointed with The Spaghetti Incident. I don't see how Axel can continue with the name. Velvet Revolver has most of the guys and they're sound takes the original GnR to the next level. I'd rather Axel had left the past and come up with something new. I look forward to hearing the new album though.

midgetonadonkey
04-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Wasn't this album supposed to come about about 10 years ago?

exstatic
04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I was, and still am, a huge GnR fan, although I was pretty disappointed with The Spaghetti Incident. I don't see how Axel can continue with the name. Velvet Revolver has most of the guys and they're sound takes the original GnR to the next level. I'd rather Axel had left the past and come up with something new. I look forward to hearing the new album though.

I think this is another Temptations analogy: The original guys left, one by one, and then realized that the replacements had the name.

Don't get me wrong. I'd pay scalper prices and an airline ticket to anywhere in the lower 48 to see the original lineup live, playing Paradise City. Axel has to have a realization, though, in order for that to happen: GnR is more than just Axel Rose, and everyone on the team has to pull in one direction. Not sure if that is going to happen.

Nbadan
04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I think this is another Temptations analogy: The original guys left, one by one, and then realized that the replacements had the name.

Don't get me wrong. I'd pay scalper prices and an airline ticket to anywhere in the lower 48 to see the original lineup live, playing Paradise City. Axel has to have a realization, though, in order for that to happen: GnR is more than just Axel Rose, and everyone on the team has to pull in one direction. Not sure if that is going to happen.

I would put this album on a different level than GnR's first effort. It's very good, but whether it's catchy-good like many of the songs on Appetite for Destruction, I will leave up for you to debate. This album will certainly appeal more to young men than young women. The licks and rifts are much harder, at times Axl sounds like a cross between the old pudgy and Rodney James Dio. According to sources, Axl has at least 21 songs ready to go, and will pick 13 of the best to go on this album.

It's not like Axl is hurting for talent. Keyboard player Dizzy Reed has been in GN'R since 1991 and along with Axl is the holdover from the band's previous line-up. New to the fold are three guitarists: Robin Finck, formerly of Nine Inch Nails, guitar phenomenon Buckethead, and Richard Fortus. Rounding out the all-star line-up is bassist Tommy Stinson from The Replacements, a second keyboard player Chris Pittman, and Brian Mantia formerly of Primus on drums.

The yet 'new' GnR line-up is supposed to kick off its tour for the tentatively titled Chinese Democracy in May. Expect some tracks to be leaked to the radio stations starting soon.

Duff McCartney
04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
The only true lineup for GNR is

Axl
Izzy
Duff
Slash
Steven Adler

That lineup is just flat out classic. I prefer Steven Adlers drumming over Matt Sorums anyday, if only he could have laid off the junk.