PDA

View Full Version : UR pick, Dwight Howard or Greg Oden

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Who would u pick if itz FA or in the draft?

dwight howard is bustin out this year, and will only continue to get better.

As far as greg oden, he is a pure centre 7'1 comin out into the draft of 2007, dunno how his game will relate to the nba since his dominating against scrubs at his position.

oh yeh both admire DAVID ROBINSON and there games are pretty much like drob.

exstatic
04-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Howard. The man-child is a BEAST. In a few years, peopl will be saying "Howard is the next great pivot. There was this other guy, Amore SomethingOrOther, but he got injured".

King
04-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Howard. I'll take the known commodity.

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2006, 10:15 AM
u talkin about that nash by-product in A-mare?

ALVAREZ6
04-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Are you kidding me?

Dwight Howard.

spurschick
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Dwight Howard, absolutely.

Leetonidas
04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Dwight Howard. It would be like Timmy playing with David in his prime...oh, orgasmic *creams pants*

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2006, 01:00 PM
u mean tim duncan on roids = dwight howard?

Horry For 3!
04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
How can you pick Greg Oden over Dwight Howard if he hasn't even played a game in college nor the NBA? :wtf

N4th4n
04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
u talkin about that nash by-product in A-mare?

moron

He sure had nash when he won ROY

IcemanCometh
04-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Greg Oden

Remeber how all of you said Lebron was just hype and won't amount to much.
Besides Howard is too much of a jesus freak.

ALVAREZ6
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
How can you pick Greg Oden over Dwight Howard if he hasn't even played a game in college nor the NBA? :wtf
I wondered the same thing.

Dwight is a proven NBA sophomore monster, and is gonna dominate this league.

timvp
04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Greg Oden.

Bump this thread in five years and it'll be a no-brainer.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Count me in as one not buying the Oden Kool-Aid. I've heard from various people that he's the best center prospect since Alcindor. Better than David Robinson, better than Ewing, better than Hakeem, better than Shaq... excuse me while I laugh. I think Oden will be a star in the NBA, but people are so desperate for a halfway decent center besides Shaq that they are overrating the kid to the extreme.

Besides, Howard is putting up 16 and 12 as a 20 year old in the NBA. Oden has him in height, but Howard's the more explosive athlete. We'll see soon enough.

timvp
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Oden is no doubt the best high-school center prospect sinse Alcindor (or maybe Walton). Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon and O'Neal weren't great prospects at that point in their careers. Oden has been hyped up for years and has lived up to the hype so far. DHoward is a great prospect and will probably become a top five player in the league, but Oden has a pretty good chance of being even better.

When given the chance of taking a potentially great power forward or a potentially great center, you take the center every time.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Oden is no doubt the best high-school center prospect sinse Alcindor (or maybe Walton). Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon and O'Neal weren't great prospects at that point in their careers. Oden has been hyped up for years and has lived up to the hype so far. DHoward is a great prospect and will probably become a top five player in the league, but Oden has a pretty good chance of being even better.

When given the chance of taking a potentially great power forward or a potentially great center, you take the center every time.

Let me just say that Shaq was a great high school prospect. He won the high school player of the year award and was a McDonald's All-American. He's still the best center prospect I have ever seen, and certainly better than Oden.

People forget, when Shaq first came into the league, he was a 7'2, 310 pound player that had uncanny speed running the court and could handle the ball extremely well for his size. I remember the game in which he put up 24 points, 28 rebounds, and 15 blocks against New Jersey. That's also the same game in which he pulled down the backboard. Shaq had the best combo of size and speed to ever enter the NBA, save perhaps Wilt Chamberlain. If he ever truly cared about his game and didn't get so out of shape, he could of been one of the all-time greats.

Oden very well could end up being better than Howard, but what Dwight Howard is doing at such a young age is astonishing. He's one of the best rebounders to enter the NBA in years.

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2006, 05:42 PM
d12 is lucky oden didnt declare this season

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 05:43 PM
d12 is lucky oden didnt declare this season

I'm sure Oden keeps him up at nights :lol

atxrocker
04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Howard, hands down. wow, this kid impresses me. monster game today.

timvp
04-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Let me just say that Shaq was a great high school prospect.

He was a very good high school prospect. Not at the level of Oden, though. Oden would have been the number 1 pick when he was 15.

He won the high school player of the year award and was a McDonald's All-American.

And? Oden just won his second consecutive high school player of the year award.

He's still the best center prospect I have ever seen, and certainly better than Oden.

Would Shaq have been the number one pick out of high school? Nope.

People forget, when Shaq first came into the league, he was a 7'2, 310 pound player that had uncanny speed running the court and could handle the ball extremely well for his size.

So he not only got fatter, he got shorter as the years went on? :)

I remember the game in which he put up 24 points, 28 rebounds, and 15 blocks against New Jersey. That's also the same game in which he pulled down the backboard.

Wasn't the same game.

Shaq had the best combo of size and speed to ever enter the NBA, save perhaps Wilt Chamberlain.

That wasn't the subject.

If he ever truly cared about his game and didn't get so out of shape, he could of been one of the all-time greats.

He is one of the all-time greats. Three championship rings don't lie.

Oden very well could end up being better than Howard, but what Dwight Howard is doing at such a young age is astonishing. He's one of the best rebounders to enter the NBA in years.

You take centers over power forwards, especially when the center has the higher ceiling.

ALVAREZ6
04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Would Shaq have been the number one pick out of high school? Nope.

But Greg Oden is going to college!!!!!

He wouldn't be the #1 pick right now.

timvp
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM

He would have been the #1 pick at age 15 and he will be the #1 pick next year.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Oden would easily be the #1 pick right now and most years. This years draft sucks. I'm far from sold on Oden, but I'm like that any time a kid is hyped up to epic proportions and has yet to play college. Hell, I thought Dwight Howard would be a bust and that Okafor would save the Magic. Hah.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:25 PM
FWIW, Oden wouldn't of been the #1 draft pick back in the early 90s either had he come to the draft out of high school. There's a reason why neither Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, or Tracy McGrady didn't go #1 overall. GMs always went with the safe, polished players until they realized high school players typically had higher upside.

ALVAREZ6
04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
He would have been the #1 pick at age 15 and he will be the #1 pick next year.

I thought he was goin to OSU?

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I thought he was goin to OSU?

He is, for a year. As much as he says he wants to go to college for four years, we all know it's a bunch of mularkey. He's as good as gone after his freshman season. Oden, however, isn't the only stud prospect in a loaded 2006 class. Thaddeus Young, Kevin Durant, Brandan Wright, etc. all have a chance to be special NBA players as well.

ALVAREZ6
04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about that new NBA policy where you have to wait a year after HS to be drafted into the NBA.

But damn, that kid is like a year older than me. Big dude.

I'd still take Dwight.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about that new NBA policy where you have to wait a year after HS to be drafted into the NBA.

I'd still take Dwight.

I would too. Dwight is further along in his second season than Kobe and KG were. He's putting up All-Star type numbers at age 20, and he still hasn't even come close to reaching his potential.

Oden has the chance to be a special, special player, but so does Dwight. Oden has height that you just can't teach, but Howard is more explosive and better at getting down the floor. Howard is 'only' 6'10, but he has such explosive leaping ability, that it allows him to go over taller opponents for rebounds at a frequent rate.

We'll see in a few years. Both have the talent to be Hall of Fame caliber players, IMHO.

timvp
04-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Dwight is further along in his second season than Kobe and KG were.

I think KG had the better second year when compared to Howard. KG had him in points, assists, steals and blocks.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
I think KG had the better second year when compared to Howard. KG had him in points, assists, steals and blocks.

It's debatable. Of course he had him in assists, Garnett is one of the best passing big men of all-time. What gets me, though, is Howard's rebounding numbers. I mean, what is he going to do when he actually learns to box out opponents on a consistent basis? 15 RPG or more seems within grasp. The point difference is explainable through Howard's poor FT shooting. If Dwight even shot 70%, he would be averaging 17 PPG at least.

Didn't Garnett also play about two more mins a game? It might not make a huge difference, but it does make a difference.

Regardless, Howard has enormous upside and hasn't even began to tap into it yet. Once he learns the simple things about the game, he'll really take off, then.

FWIW, I don't blame you for taking Oden. I would probably too in most cases, but I'm a biased homer.

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
howard needs 42 reboards (21 each game) to pass garnett for reboarding title for this year....

who puts their money on 21 boards in both games????

Highly doubt he gets it, but it doesn't matter, Dwight's already the best rebounder in the game. He has the best RPG per 48 mins, and had he not gone out of the Lakers game early in the season two minutes into the game, in which he collected no rebounds but counted against his stats, he would have won the title.

FreshPrince22
04-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Or Orlando could pull a San Antonio and tank the season next year and get both :lol

HeyIt'sMe
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Or Orlando could pull a San Antonio and tank the season next year and get both :lol

Nah, let Portland get him. They need him to save that mess anyways.

Darrin
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Who would u pick if itz FA or in the draft?

dwight howard is bustin out this year, and will only continue to get better.

As far as greg oden, he is a pure centre 7'1 comin out into the draft of 2007, dunno how his game will relate to the nba since his dominating against scrubs at his position.

oh yeh both admire DAVID ROBINSON and there games are pretty much like drob.

Dwight Howard hands down. He's a proven commodity, on and off the court. Oden is still very raw (if you've seen any of his game on ESPN).

FreshPrince22
04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Highly doubt he gets it, but it doesn't matter, Dwight's already the best rebounder in the game.

the players disagree...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/04/11/poll.0411/index.html

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2006, 06:36 AM
hey can we get oden like this,

say he doesnt declare for the draft, but workout with us in one the summer camps, then can we sign him as a undrafted FA? just like ben wallace who went undrafted.

loopholes :D lets exploit it.

Pero
04-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I doubt it`s that easy.

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
let the conspiracy theory begin

T.F. Storm
04-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Both. I'm greedy.

Spurologist
04-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Knowing what I know now about Dwight versus an unproven high school kid, makes the decision very easy. I'd be a risk taking Oden, but Howard is a Hall of Famer in the making.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I agree with timvp and must say that you've all been chode exploded i said

Darrin
04-17-2006, 08:49 PM

I hope they tank next season and fall to pick five. :tu

baseline bum
04-17-2006, 10:39 PM

Bigger than Mourning? He was such a huge prospect that I knew about him when I was 8 and he was a senior in HS. I wish ESPN would show a game or two of Oden's like they did with James, because I'm dying to see this guy in action.

HeyIt'sMe
04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Bigger than Mourning? He was such a huge prospect that I knew about him when I was 8 and he was a senior in HS. I wish ESPN would show a game or two of Oden's like they did with James, because I'm dying to see this guy in action.

ESPN has already showed him several times. Not much to see, though, because he's so much bigger than the competition that he completely dominates.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 11:30 PM

The first time I saw I was 10 months older than Lebron James, I just about wet myself.

IronMexican
10-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Greg Oden.

Bump this thread in five years and it'll be a no-brainer.

I'll bump it now. Oden still can be better than Howard, I think.

Chieflion
10-03-2009, 03:24 AM
3 years have passed. Dwight Howard got to the finals as the man and was DPOY, anchoring the Magic defense and All-NBA 1st team center.

Oden on the other hand, has missed an entire season and just finished his rookie year. Although he puts up per-36 numbers better than Howard's rookie season, he is still fouling way too much and does not show the ability of the cornerstone of his team.

Culburn369
10-03-2009, 03:41 AM
3 years have passed. Dwight Howard got to the finals as the man and was DPOY, anchoring the Magic defense and All-NBA 1st team center.

But, took a step back when Bynum made him say "uncle" in the '09 Finals.

Lars
10-03-2009, 03:53 AM
More appropriate comparison, Howard vs. Durant!

Chieflion
10-03-2009, 04:42 AM
But, took a step back when Bynum made him say "uncle" in the '09 Finals.
Not this bullshit again.

tlongII
10-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Oden. Easily.

Chieflion
10-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Oden. Easily.
Be real. Replace Oden with Dwight and the Blazers would have won the championship.

Culburn369
10-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Not this bullshit again.

Yes, this fact forever.

TJastal
10-03-2009, 09:28 AM
lol @ this thread

What has Oden done so far that even compares to what Howard has accomplished so far in his career? Yah, zero.

As unfinished and unpolished a post-up game as Howard has, Oden's is even miles behind that, and he's injury prone.

The blazers have made some nice moves this off season and will test the might of the west this year, but a thread like this makes me laugh and almost not take Oden (or them) seriously.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Reading the past comments, all I can say i LoL and I hate saying LoL. haha nice bump TJastal, must've taken you hours to go through the million Oden posts to find this.

But seriously, I think Oden's going to be just fine.

Chieflion
10-03-2009, 09:56 AM
lol @ this thread

What has Oden done so far that even compares to what Howard has accomplished so far in his career? Yah, zero.

As unfinished and unpolished a post-up game as Howard has, Oden's is even miles behind that, and he's injury prone.

The blazers have made some nice moves this off season and will test the might of the west this year, but a thread like this makes me laugh and almost not take Oden (or them) seriously.
Thread was started in 2006. It was basically potential versus sure thing. But the gap widened. If I read this in 2006, I would have gone with Oden too considering Dwight was a face up power forward with good defense and rebounding. See KG with no jump shot.

Indazone
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Oden sucks and will always suck