PDA

View Full Version : PC Home Page Help Needed..

JoeChalupa
10-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Okay, I know this question has probably been asked many times but I need some help..

I must have hit a wrong key while surfing late at night but now when ever I logon to the internet, the home page on my kids computer comes up to a "search page" that has some adult content links and it also puts some adult links onto their favorites.

How do I get rid of this crap? I've deleted cookies.
I've set the home page, saved..but everytime they open the web..that same website is the "home page" again? Why is that?

Do I need to flush my hardrive to get rid of this from happening?

I've gone to my internet options and used the "use current page" option and that doesn't work either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Samurai Jane
10-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Joe, if you don't have it already, download Ad Aware and scan your computer.

If that doesn't work you might have to use Hijack This, which I'm not that familiar with.

jalbre6
10-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Download and run Ad-aware or CrapCleaner from download.com, and when you are finished, reset the home page on internet options. Then run the cleaning program again, and that should take care of it.

pooh
10-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Hijack This should help, cause I think that is what you have Joe. My friend got that recently on his computer. I had it to some extent on my last year, but I had to go through the registery and physically take the search engine out. Best bet would be to ask Ducks, he's the guru on here.

Slomo
10-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Sounds like Spyware.

If Ad-Aware does not take care of it try also Spybot. I've found out that Spybot sometimes finds stuff that ad-aware misses (and vice versa).

Does the search page have a name? and have you asked google if there's a known solution of how to get rid of it?

Useruser666
10-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Sounds like another future Firefox user! Go to www.mozilla.org (http://) and download the Firefox browser.
It works just like Internet Explorer but you won't have things like this happen to you in the future.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
One more vote for Spybot S&D here.

JoeChalupa
10-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try your suggestions this evening and will report back on the results.

Nbadan
10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Joe, with your browser open go to Tools---Internet Options---homepage.

Fill in the space with your favorite homepage --- click OK.

That ought to take care of problem #1.

For problem #2, close your browser, go to your desktop---click My Computer--C:\---Windows--Favorites. Delete all the inappropriate links. close the folder. restart your browser and all the bad links should be gone.

Keep a good copy of Ad-aware or Spybot search and destroy on your computer and you should avoid future similiar problems.

Hope this helps.

Nbadan
10-05-2004, 05:16 PM
If solution for problem #1 does not work..do this..

Close your browser..

Go to Start--run--type msconfig--click OK...a pop-up window will appear..at the far left will be a startup tab--click this--all the programs that run on your computer are listed below...look for any programs that may be associated with the reoccuring site and uncheck the box next to it...restart your computer.

timvp
10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
If solution for problem #1 does not work..do this..

Close your browser..

Go to Start--run--type msconfig--click OK...a pop-up window will appear..at the far left will be a startup tab--click this--all the programs that run on your computer are listed below...look for any programs that may be associated with the reoccuring site and uncheck the box next to it...restart your computer.

This works amazingly well. If you are ever flooded with spyware, adware, scumware, etc ... just do that and after you restart, go in and run ad-aware and spybot. Problem solved.

exstatic
10-05-2004, 07:44 PM
If your kids are downloading programs, that probably started your issue. If it's a family computer, you need to take charge, and create accounts for everyone, assuming you're using at least WIN2K. Disable the ability to install software for all accounts except administrator. If the kids have something that they need installed, log in as adminstrator and install it for them. You'll have control over your system and can keep garbage off of it.

Shelly
10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
If your kids are downloading programs, that probably started your issue. If it's a family computer, you need to take charge, and create accounts for everyone, assuming you're using at least WIN2K. Disable the ability to install software for all accounts except administrator. If the kids have something that they need installed, log in as adminstrator and install it for them. You'll have control over your system and can keep garbage off of it.

:lol Good suggestion, but I doubt it was his girls. I think they are around 5 and 9 years old?

Useruser666
10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Those damn free screen saver programs and chat smilies are a huge source of spyware. If you want those sorts of things try download.com where they usually state on their reviews if the programs have spyware apps built into them. Otherwise beware.

JoeChalupa
10-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the help.

Is there an acutal "ad-aware" program?
I went to download.com and tried some but the problem persists.

I'll try some other options tonight.

Samurai Jane
10-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes, it's by Lavasoft I think. Just google for Ad Aware and it should come up with a link for you.

Samurai Jane
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

IcemanCometh
10-06-2004, 10:43 AM
your best bet is hijack this. if you're afraid just post the log here.

ducks
10-06-2004, 11:25 AM
I suggest you sell it and my a mac

JoeChalupa
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I tried Hijack This but it wants me to buy it when I try to remove the files.

ducks
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
if you buy one buy pestpatrol