PDA

View Full Version : Buschwhackers....yes or no?

samikeyp
04-16-2006, 10:04 AM
ESPN did a story this week about the growing number of Cup drivers who also run Busch races. Every Busch race this year has been won by a Cup driver. Some people are angry about it, some like it....what say you in the land of Spurstalk?

Personally, I don't know if I would ban it entirely but I would like to see less of it. The Busch series is there to cultivate young talent to rise into Cup and a lot of Cup drivers in it can take spots away from young emerging talent. Then again, the best way to see if these kids can handle the big time is to race against their peers.

midgetonadonkey
04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Damn I thought this thread was about these guys.

http://www.wrestlingclassics.com/bushwhackers/gallery/gallery29.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
04-16-2006, 11:57 AM
:rollin
they were the shit

pache100
04-16-2006, 12:46 PM
ESPN did a story this week about the growing number of Cup drivers who also run Busch races. Every Busch race this year has been won by a Cup driver. Some people are angry about it, some like it....what say you in the land of Spurstalk?

Personally, I don't know if I would ban it entirely but I would like to see less of it. The Busch series is there to cultivate young talent to rise into Cup and a lot of Cup drivers in it can take spots away from young emerging talent. Then again, the best way to see if these kids can handle the big time is to race against their peers.

I don't know, Mikey, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel that any experience a Nextel driver can get on a track is to their benefit. And of course, there's always the fact that I like to see my favorite drivers win, no matter what the venue...and I like to cuss and throw things when one of the drivers I dislike wins...it's just racin'. However, I agree with you that the Busch Series should be primarily for the development of new talent and I think that was the original intent; on the other hand, there's always the Craftsman Truck Series for that. The truck series seems to be where everybody starts out and ends up, so you have the really YOUNG and the really OLD geezers out there in trucks; it's a good mix, though, having those old guys out there racing the young'uns because it enhances the young guys/gals experience. But, then, it may be good for the young Busch drivers to be exposed to the competitive racing style of the current Nextel drivers, too, since most of them obviously plan to enter that forum someday. I think maybe there should be a format for the Busch Series that would benefit everyone. Like, maybe limit Nextel drivers to no more than 10 Busch races per year. That way, they would not be in points contention for the title, but they would still get to race. Teams could switch off drivers in their cars if they want so that none gets more than 10 races per season. (Like Evernham does.) This would also allow fans who can't get to Nextel races to see some of the more famous or popular Nextel drivers, but without those drivers hogging up all the media attention and points at Busch races.

It's a tough question. And I think it would have a lot of different answers from people who genuinely love racing and want to see "their driver" do well wherever they want.

dawn
04-16-2006, 07:09 PM
It is great having them there. These guys in order to move up need to know how to compete against the big boys. This is one way to help them, plus it draws more sponsorships to the busch series also.

chode_regulator
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
im not real sure where to stand on tihs
obviously theres more cup drivers racing inteh busch league now than ever before. in teh years past ivenever had a problem wiht it btu i am starting to feel that enough is enough. it is becomding apparent that cup teams are using busch races purely for testingpurposes for the cup races. short of hendrcik, though they do use the younger busch, and gibbs, though i believe yeley and the other driver still race busch series, the main driver for hte main cup teams all race bsuch. its becoming ridiculous.
i think theyre taking away from the guys who are radcing for the championship, but on the ohter hand, you have to do what it takes.
someone needs to step in though, before a cup driver would only race a handful of races, now it seems they radce a full cup and a full busch series. stop taking moeny away from the yo0unger guys. let them develop on their own and worry about racing cup guys when they get to that league.
would i want andruw jones and barry bonds and randy johnson playing in AAA? hell no. so why should the busch brothers and biffle and kahne/others radce in the busch full time?
touch subject and i feel that no matter what nascar decides that it will be highly debated.

Obstructed_View
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
If you had a chance to race on a track the day before the race, you'd do it just to get an advantage for the next day. If it makes money, they'll continue to allow it to happen.

Willinsa
04-17-2006, 12:30 AM
same herehttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gif

Me too

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 12:55 AM
haaha, I thought it was about the wrestlers, as well.

Having Cup drivers in Busch is good for the development of the other drivers, and it sells tickets. For those reasons, I don't think its changing anytime soon. Especially the selling tickets part, and I would assume the ratings are higher for a Busch race if an Earnhardt or someone like that is racing in it as well. It's all about the ratings.

chode_regulator
04-17-2006, 10:27 AM
haaha, I thought it was about the wrestlers, as well.

Having Cup drivers in Busch is good for the development of the other drivers, and it sells tickets. For those reasons, I don't think its changing anytime soon. Especially the selling tickets part, and I would assume the ratings are higher for a Busch race if an Earnhardt or someone like that is racing in it as well. It's all about the ratings.
unfortunately yes it is all about the ratings now. nascar is growing at such an exponential rate that it is ridiculous. its more about drama now than actual racing. i predict in the next 5 yrs i will tire of nascar and bill frances shenanigans.

mookie2001
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
^ you think thats bad
rememba when I joined that bowling league with shawn kemp?

samikeyp
04-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Very true....I am waiting to see NASCAR replace Hockey as the one of the "big 4".

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Shiiit, I think it has already happened, Mikey. Just nobody is admitting it.

And I agree with Chode Regulator- they try so damned hard to do the drama thing (like with the Chase for the Cup) that sometimes the actual racing is lost in the broadcast. I think that is part of the reason I can't usually watch an entire race without flipping channels. Well, that and the Dallas Cowboys have something to do wtih it as well. :)

chode_regulator
04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
^when i first got into nascar i wouldnt think about turning the channel. now im always flipping back and forth. often times getting tired of the announcers making something out of nthing. especially bill weber. that guy is annoying as shit.

Zombie
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Very true....I am waiting to see NASCAR replace Hockey as the one of the "big 4".
It's #2 now when it comes to viewers!