PDA

View Full Version : There should be a new stats category: Half-court shots.

greyforest
04-16-2006, 05:36 PM
This is something a friend and I were discussing the other day. Some players will not shoot half-court shots with seconds left before the end of the second quarter because it will negatively effect their 3pt fg percentage. Why not create a new statistic for this instead, a half-court fg percentage? This way players will take these shots instead of waiting for the quarter to end. Also, it would be an interesting statistic to see anyway.

Can we recommend this to the NBA? :fro

Pero
04-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I doubt players are really thinking about that when the clock is running out. If they are, they must be really selfish.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I doubt players are really thinking about that when the clock is running out. If they are, they must be really selfish.
you're surprised there are selfish players in the NBA?? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Solid D
04-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I would think half-court shots made would be an interesting, if not obscure stat.

Pero
04-16-2006, 05:56 PM
you're surprised there are selfish players in the NBA??
Good point. :lol

exstatic
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I remember one annoucer saying that they should count 4 points. If that were the case, they wouldn't affect your 3G%, only your overall FG% and your 4G%. :lol

grjr
04-16-2006, 08:30 PM

I've seen A LOT of players who won't hoist up a 3/4 court shot. The only reason would have to be because it makes their stats look worse.

There are also a lot of closet stat-padders that take that extra dribble before shooting so that the clock will run out before they get the shot off *cough Van X, Finley Cough*. For them there should be a stat for most shots taken a split second after the buzzer. :lol

Fabbs
04-16-2006, 09:19 PM
This way players will take these shots instead of waiting for the quarter to end. Also, it would be an interesting statistic to see anyway.

Can we recommend this to the NBA? :fro

Superb idea and long overdue. Maybe when loser Stern finally goes away this can be implemented.

Obstructed_View
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I remember one annoucer saying that they should count 4 points. If that were the case, they wouldn't affect your 3G%, only your overall FG% and your 4G%. :lol
Oh, God. Then you have to deal with a team starting to take half court shots when they are down? Only a loser holds onto the ball to keep his stats up. Those guys get what they deserve anyway. Fuck rewarding those guys for being gutless and self-centered.

greyforest
04-16-2006, 10:51 PM
naw shouldnt count for 4 points, that will change the fundamentals of the game.

half-court shots still should count for 3, but they are inherently different from your run-of-the-mill 3 point shot at the arc, so i definitely think it deserves a different category.

exstatic
04-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh, God. Then you have to deal with a team starting to take half court shots when they are down?

Well, you'd only have 8 seconds to do it, since you can't bring the ball BACK across half court, and you only have the stated 8 seconds to either advance it or shoot. If team knew you were going to do it, they wouldn't press, they'd play each man pretty tightly. You'd probably have to run someone off of 2 picks to get them free, so you'd be looking at one shot attempt. Teams probably wouldn't use it unless they were actually down 4 points with very little time left. I can't imagine being down 3 and using this ploy rather than going for the garden variety 3 pointer for the tie.

FreshPrince22
04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Pay close attention. There are a lot of players that love to get the shot off JUST after the buzzer so it doesn't hurt their percentage, but they don't look like a selfish punk.

Leetonidas
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM

http://www.pcdecal.com/walker-bird.jpg

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 05:55 AM

D'oh! I didn't see Texasballa's post first... :lol :lol

Chris
04-17-2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.pcdecal.com/walker-bird.jpg

very nice :lol