PDA

View Full Version : memories

spurofthemoment
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
did anybody remember the before we drafted Timmy ???? David was gone for the season and we had the Human Highlight Film Dominique Wilkins on the Spurs that season I think we had the second worst record

xcoriate
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah people remember.

why though? There not exactly good memories, there was only one positive outcome that season and that was Tim.

Darrin
04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2001/0105/photo/a_pitino_i.jpg
"I could've been a contender!"

1997 Lottery probabilities for Boston Celtics:

200 chances (highest of draft)
64 chances (from Dallas)
264 of a possible 1000 chances (26.4% chance of landing Tim Duncan).

*Vancouver could not land number one pick, although they had the worst record*

IceColdBrewski
04-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Not only do I remember, but my brother and I were at the game when Robinson broke his foot against the heat. I had to drive to Kansas after the game, and I heard the news that he would be out "for at least 8 weeks" on an Oklahoma radio station at about 3 a.m. From then on, I was in full "hope they suck bad and get a good draft pick" mode.

Big Worm
04-17-2006, 02:01 AM
I Remeber Kori with DizzG

http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/MVC-043S.JPG

hoss
04-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks i was almost getting over that season and now look!Back to the shrink i go...
lol

Jimcs50
04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I remember when my cock got hard just for no reason at all.

:)

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I've only been to two Spurs games in my life and one was during that season. They had so many injuries that I think the 1,000th person through the gate that night got to be the starting center.

cheguevara
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I remember when my cock got hard just for no reason at all.

:)

Jim at what age did you lose that superpower?

efrem1
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I remember going to the Forum for Game 5 of the 1983 WCF against the Lakers. Ole Gervin and Gilmore showed them up that day. I remember whining about going to Murray's Ticket Agency in LA and paying an obscene $40 for Loge seats at the game. Boy, times sure have changed.

Jimcs50
04-17-2006, 10:05 AM

I think after college.

:depressed

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I remember a nationally televised game that occurred late March or early April during that dreaded '96 season. A season, which by that time, was already lost. The Spurs were plummeting towards the NBA lottery. I believe the game may have been versus Houston.

The NBC sideline reporter interviewed an injured David Robinson and asked him to explain what happened with a team that held such promise at the start of the regular season. Of course, Dave cited the rash of injuries and such.

The interviewer went on to ask Dave's his thoughts on the possibliity of the Spurs winning the NBA lottery and perhaps getting the chance to play alongside Wake Forest senior and AP Player of the Year - Tim Duncan.

Big Dave (smartly dressed in a nice suit and tie...pre dress code days) broke out a big smile and his eyes lit up as he expressed how "polished" he thought Duncan's game was and that he would "love the chance" to play with him.

He went on to say that Duncan, to no one's surprise, was obviously the best player coming out of college that year and praised him for staying in school for four years.

A couple months later and WHALA! - Spurs win the lottery, draft TD and the rest is history (much to the chagrin of the Boston Celtics who've never gotten over having THE worst record that year and the most ping pong balls in the lottery, but coming up short)

phyzik
04-17-2006, 11:36 AM

ahh superpowers. you know people believe that when you get struck by lightning you gain super powers....

when I was struck by lightning I gained the abilities to shake uncontrollably and shit in my pants.

101A
04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
(much to the chagrin of the Boston Celtics who've never gotten over having THE worst record that year and the most ping pong balls in the lottery, but coming up short)

Chicago had the TWO of the THREE worst records in the hopper that day (there's & Dallas's). :lol

I REMEMBER exactly where I was when that card was uncovered.

gospursgojas
04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
(much to the chagrin of the Boston Celtics who've never gotten over having THE worst record that year and the most ping pong balls in the lottery, but coming up short)

But didn't they draft Billups??? Not too bad of a choice, as I see him now, but back then, no one knew he would be MVP material I guess....

I remember very vauguely (I was 12 during the 96 season) a stretch of games in which they only had 8 or 9 guys available to play, and during that stretch there was a game that I remember someone playing that didn't even have his name on the back of the jersey.... Was I dreaming of did that actually happen??? :lol

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 01:08 PM
But didn't they draft Billups??? Not too bad of a choice, as I see him now, but back then, no one knew he would be MVP material I guess....

Very true. Strangely enough, it was Pitino - his old college coach - that was too impatient to allow Billiups to blossom in his system. Sure Chauncey may have been raw, but look what he's turned out to be.

I'm sure they (at least the powers at be that were in charge at that time) all feel like dumb asses! Fact is, Chauncey has proven a lot of people wrong.

I remember very vauguely (I was 12 during the 96 season) a stretch of games in which they only had 8 or 9 guys available to play, and during that stretch there was a game that I remember someone playing that didn't even have his name on the back of the jersey.... Was I dreaming of did that actually happen??? :lol

No, you weren't dreaming. I remember that too. I just don't remember who it was. I believe it may have been some 10-day guy who shuttled through to "hold the fort" until someone came back from injury.

Duff McCartney
04-17-2006, 01:25 PM
I remember that season. I lived in Atlanta for the year with my dad and man did I get ridiculed by everyone there for wearing my Spurs jersey.

One guy was like "The Spurs? Man they ain't even won 20 games yet." And it was like already March or April.

Anyway I also remember seeing the draft and that the Spurs won it but I didn't really know who Tim Duncan was. It was hard to follow the Spurs back then because of living in Atlanta.

P.S. I remember Duncans rookie year I went back to visit my dad for the summer. We watched the Bulls beat Utah and I remember telling my dad, just watch next year.

"San Antonio Spurs NBA Champions."

Lo and behold...they won the title in 1999. It was great.

cheguevara
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I think after college.

:depressed

hahaha u must have been an animal in college.

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I remember that season. I lived in Atlanta for the year with my dad and man did I get ridiculed by everyone there for wearing my Spurs jersey.

One guy was like "The Spurs? Man they ain't even won 20 games yet." And it was like already March or April.

Anyway I also remember seeing the draft and that the Spurs won it but I didn't really know who Tim Duncan was. It was hard to follow the Spurs back then because of living in Atlanta.

P.S. I remember Duncans rookie year I went back to visit my dad for the summer. We watched the Bulls beat Utah and I remember telling my dad, just watch next year.

"San Antonio Spurs NBA Champions."

Lo and behold...they won the title in 1999. It was great.

Good stuff. I like someone who has the "balls" to wear their team colors proudly - even if the team sucks.

I got roasted by folks during the same year when I sported a Spurs cap while visiting Houston during that summer.

pache100
04-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Good stuff. I like someone who has the "balls" to wear their team colors proudly - even if the team sucks.

I got roasted by folks during the same year when I sported a Spurs cap while visiting Houston during that summer.

I used to be a rabid Cowboys fan. Our director was a Washington Redskins fanatic. Do you remember the year the Cowboys sucked so bad that fans wore paper bags over their heads? I actually wore a paper bag over my head (that someone had painted a face on for me) into her office to a meeting one day. I'm bad at a lot of things, but I'm a good sport. http://i3.tinypic.com/vqiiyo.gif

Once I become a fan of a team (or someone), it takes a lot to change my mind. I don't care how much they suck, if I love them, I will support them.

JealousOnesNV
04-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Very true. Strangely enough, it was Pitino - his old college coach - that was too impatient to allow Billiups to blossom in his system. Sure Chauncey may have been raw, but look what he's turned out to be.

I'm sure they (at least the powers at be that were in charge at that time) all feel like dumb asses! Fact is, Chauncey has proven a lot of people wrong.

No, you weren't dreaming. I remember that too. I just don't remember who it was. I believe it may have been some 10-day guy who shuttled through to "hold the fort" until someone came back from injury.
Billups went to Colorado and Pitino coached at Kentucky. But Boston had two first round picks that year and Pitno took Ron Mercer from Kentucky with the 6th pick. Didnt Mercer play for the Spurs for a season? Anyway I had to clear that up. What crazy is that Boston traded Billups to Toronto during his first season and Mercer was sent packing after just two seasons. Pitino killed that team.

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Billups went to Colorado and Pitino coached at Kentucky. But Boston had two first round picks that year and Pitno took Ron Mercer from Kentucky with the 6th pick. Didnt Mercer play for the Spurs for a season? Anyway I had to clear that up. What crazy is that Boston traded Billups to Toronto during his first season and Mercer was sent packing after just two seasons. Pitino killed that team.

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

And yes, Mercer did play for the Spurs two seasons ago. He didn't earn much time while he was here. I believe it was mainly because he was woeful on the defensive end and never seemed to adjust to the offensive system.

JealousOnesNV
04-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a memory that includes the spurs too. My Pistons traded Rodman for Sean Elliott and then tried to trade Elliott to Houston for Robert Horry ,Matt Bullard and two draft picks. Then Elliott failed the physical and the trade was done. Then we traded him back to you guys for nothing really. I cant remember if thats when his kidney problems started though. He was a dawg in his day though. I always liked his game.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Chicago had the TWO of the THREE worst records in the hopper that day (there's & Dallas's). :lol

I REMEMBER exactly where I was when that card was uncovered.

Chicago wasn't in that lottery. They were busy winning 69 games and their 5th Championship in 7 years. If that's a joke, I don't get it.

pache100
04-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Then Elliott failed the physical and the trade was done. Then we traded him back to you guys for nothing really. I cant remember if thats when his kidney problems started though. He was a dawg in his day though. I always liked his game.

That is why Sean Elliott failed the physical...his kidney problem. The Spurs' faith in him never waivered, though...thank God.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
We got Elliot back for nothing? Under Bob Hill's expert guidance Bill Curley would have been a HOFer.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 02:36 PM
That is why Sean Elliott failed the physical...his kidney problem. The Spurs' faith in him never waivered, though...thank God.

It's a lot easier to have faith in a player when he wants to play for your organization (Elliott complained publicly about being traded to the Pistons) and the team isn't in the middle of a rebuilding process. Detroit assumed he was just tanking for them because his symptoms presented themselves as lathargy.

1991-92 stats: 17.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.8 apg.
1992-93 stats: 12.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.7 apg.
1993-94 stats: 18.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg.

Pick which two seasons Elliott was playing for the Spurs? He was brought here to be the second scorer alongside Joe Dumars with a budding rookies Allan Houston and Lindsey Hunter. You don't trade a Two-Time Defensive Player of the Year averaging 18.7 rebounds per game for a scrub.

pache100
04-17-2006, 02:53 PM
It's a lot easier to have faith in a player when he wants to play for your organization (Elliott complained publicly about being traded to the Pistons) and the team isn't in the middle of a rebuilding process. Detroit assumed he was just tanking for them because his symptoms presented themselves as lathargy.

1991-92 stats: 17.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.8 apg.
1992-93 stats: 12.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.7 apg.
1993-94 stats: 18.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg.

Pick which two seasons Elliott was playing for the Spurs? He was brought here to be the second scorer alongside Joe Dumars with a budding rookies Allan Houston and Lindsey Hunter. You don't trade a Two-Time Defensive Player of the Year averaging 18.7 rebounds per game for a scrub.

I don't have a problem with someone expressing that they prefer to play with one team over another. It's human nature. I don't give a rat's ass what Detoit assumed; that's their problem and loss. If they had acted like they actually WANTED Elliott to play for them instead of acquiring him for trade bait, things might have gone differently. That works both ways. And, apparently, they did want him badly enough to sign him twice.

Sean was a two-time All Star and I know which years he played for the Spurs (I've seen his jersey banner in the arena many times - was at the jersey retirement ceremony - as well as following his career personally) and which year he played 73 games for Detroit. He's also an NBA Champ. And you're calling him a scrub?

gospursgojas
04-17-2006, 02:59 PM
I remember, I think it was during the 99 season... the Spurs were down like 20+ with 3 mins to go to the trailblazers, and 5-0 got called for a stupid foul, then got a T called on him and he just went off on the ref, and got thrown out of the game, then the Spurs went off on the Blazers and won

I remeber he got thrown out with like 3:16 to go in the game so the Express News headline the next day was something like David 3:16 and is had a pic of Big Dave screaming inthe face of the ref...Im sure you guys know who the ref was but I forgot, I dont know how I could forget the only ref to throw David out of a game but I did...

Darrin
04-17-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't have a problem with someone expressing that they prefer to play with one team over another. It's human nature.

As long as you give maximum effort while in that uniform, I don't give a damn either. Cliff Robinson and Jon Barry didn't want to be here, but they played their asses off and the next thing you know the Pistons were a winning franchise. That's my beef with Elliott.

I don't give a rat's ass what Detoit assumed; that's their problem and loss. If they had acted like they actually WANTED Elliott to play for them instead of acquiring him for trade bait, things might have gone differently.

You think they would've had an easier time moving Sean Elliott, a two-time All-Star at the time than a guy who is perhaps the best rebounder the league has seen since Bill Russell? They tried to trade him because he made it clear he didn't want to be a Piston.

Sean was a two-time All Star and I know which years he played for the Spurs (I've seen his banner in the arena many times as well as following his career personally) and which year he played 73 games for Detroit. He's also an NBA Champ. And you're calling him a scrub?

His kidney disorder didn't go away; he needed a transplant after the 1998-99 season. Can you explain to me why there was a 5-point dropoff in his perfomance from 1992 to 1993 and a 6-point bump from 1993 to 1994?

I'm not calling him a scrub; I'm saying he played like a scrub for Detroit, and not all of that was his health.

pache100
04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm not calling him a scrub; I'm saying he played like a scrub for Detroit, and not all of that was his health.

You did call him a scrub (go back and read your post where you said it). As for your last remark, how do you know? Are you a doctor? Did you examine Sean Elliott? You can be a hater all day and all night. You will not change history nor the facts.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 03:18 PM
You did call him a scrub (go back and read your post where you said it).

I think you need to re-read the post. I said the Pistons weren't going to trade Dennis Rodman for some scrub, he was brought here with the Pistons wanting him and the implication is that he proved over that year that he didn't want to be in Detroit.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
As for your last remark, how do you know? Are you a doctor? Did you examine Sean Elliott? You can be a hater all day and all night. You will not change history nor the facts.

No. Have you examined Sean Elliott? If you have the chance, would you know what to look for? What I have what Sean Elliott has said about his year here, what the Pistons have said about the situation, the lack of production in Detroit, and his failed physical. That's all I have as a fan; that's all you have.

Don't claim to know more about this than I do or any other fan of the NBA.

pache100
04-17-2006, 03:25 PM
No. Have you examined Sean Elliott? If you have the chance, would you know what to look for? What I have what Sean Elliott has said about his year here, what the Pistons have said about the situation, the lack of production in Detroit, and his failed physical. That's all I have as a fan; that's all you have.

Don't claim to know more about this than I do or any other fan of the NBA.

No, actually, what I have is what Sean has said, what the medical experts said before, during and after his transplant said, what many other medical experts - including the Spurs doctors - said. As for your last condescending remark, I could also say that to you, Mr. Know-it-all (otherwise known as obnoxious Pistons fan...and yes, as a matter of fact, I do know they are not all like that).

And you still have not changed any facts or rewritten history.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18610&page=1&pp=26&highlight=elliott+kidney

Everyone can save a little time and just read this thread. Why tire yourselves beating a dead horse when others have already blown it to bits?

Darrin
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
As for your last condescending remark, I could also say that to you, Mr. Know-it-all.

Exactly. This is a mud-slinging match if this debate continues much further. I don't know everything and I didn't claim to. I didn't raise the level of knowledge to only those the trained professionals that have examined Sean Elliott.

I know this is like someone insulting Joe Dumars or Ben Wallace, which I would never stand for. But my experience as a fan of Sean Elliott wasn't the warm and fuzzy experience most Spurs fans have. It's more like the Blazers' fans talking about Rasheed Wallace.

pache100
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18610&page=1&pp=26&highlight=elliott+kidney

Everyone can save a little time and just read this thread. Why tire yourselves beating a dead horse when others have already blown it to bits?

Thanks, I read that thread at the time, but could not find it today. I'm done with this, anyway, said all I care to say. Haters will not be moved, they do not want to be confused by facts.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 03:42 PM

I didn't know this existed; I wasn't here in June of 2005.

I'm sorry to the rest of the board for hijacking this thread.

leemajors
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
You think they would've had an easier time moving Sean Elliott, a two-time All-Star at the time than a guy who is perhaps the best rebounder the league has seen since Bill Russell?

dennis rodman is probably the best rebounder since russell.

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I read this thread as "mammories".

Sorry to interrupt, please continue... :oops :)

Darrin
04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I read this thread as "mammories".

Sorry to interrupt, please continue... :oops :)

Suddenly...
http://www.umerl.maine.edu/cltn/movies/9899/november98/images/Dazed-final.jpg

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 04:30 PM
:lol

Sorry, it was getting a little ..... tense ..... in here. :angel

Kori Ellis
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Damn I just re-read that thread. It's amazing how much timvp owned everyone in that whole conversation.

Especially this post:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=322355&postcount=170

timvp
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Damn I just re-read that thread. It's amazing how much timvp owned everyone in that whole conversation.

Especially this post:

Got damn that was a good post :tu

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Especially this post:

Yeah, there are a lot of memories in that thread, too. :drunk

JealousOnesNV
04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
All damn....my bad...Didnt know I would get yall going like that. I was just thinking back to a dark time in Piston history.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm ready to start making fun of Rick Pitino again. :)

I think if someone told me on Draft day 1997 that the San Antonio Spurs would end up with as many titles as the Philadelphia 76ers and Detroit Pistons, I would've laughed. I've respected the Spurs, but not three titles. I thought, at the most, Robinson would finish with one if he got lucky.

Now, they aren't just a classy organization, they are the class of the NBA.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
All damn....my bad...Didnt know I would get yall going like that. I was just thinking back to a dark time in Piston history.

If you've been a Pistons fan that long you know that bringing up anything from 1992 through 2000 is painful.

JealousOnesNV
04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
If you've been a Pistons fan that long you know that bringing up anything from 1992 through 2000 is painful.
Very true although the Grant Hill era brought us some hope. I remember when we traded Ratliff for Stack and I THOUGHT we had a great one two punch. Man was I wrong....But them dark days are long gone.

JealousOnesNV
04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm ready to start making fun of Rick Pitino again. :)

I think if someone told me on Draft day 1997 that the San Antonio Spurs would end up with as many titles as the Philadelphia 76ers and Detroit Pistons, I would've laughed. I've respected the Spurs, but not three titles. I thought, at the most, Robinson would finish with one if he got lucky.

Now, they aren't just a classy organization, they are the class of the NBA.
Got to agree with you there........Man Pitino really did put that chalk outline around the Celtics organiztion.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Very true although the Grant Hill era brought us some hope. I remember when we traded Ratliff for Stack and I THOUGHT we had a great one two punch. Man was I wrong....But them dark days are long gone.

It was painful to watch the Pistons as the Bad Boys were breaking up. Vinnie Johnson being waived, John Salley shipped off to Miami, Chuck Daly being forced out by Ron Rothstein, Bill Laimbeer's comments about Jack McCloskey, McCloskey leaving, Rodman's "leave of absence"...Part of the reason Dumars is so beloved is because he signed a 4-year contract extension while all of this was going on.

He could've gone to Utah and had just as productive career for a classy, tough organization. He could've gone to San Antonio or Houston or New York and battled for NBA Championships. He could've even gone to Chicago and played with his good friend Michael Jordan. People around here know what he gave up to stay in Detroit.

All of that melted, for me, in 1995. They had the 3Hs - Hill, Houston, and Hunter. Terry Mills and Joe Dumars were still here and Doug Collins had just been hired. The defense is what seemed to be missing, and they addressed that by trading the 8th pick for Otis Thorpe, and drafting Theo Ratliff late in the first round. They discovered Michael Curry as a defensive stopper on the perimeter. Suddenly, they are back in the playoffs.

Although they lost Houston to the Knicks for about 20 million less than he would've gotten with Detroit, and subsequently passed on Dikembe Mutombo as their center, things seems better in 1997. I loved that team, and still do. They could D up anyone, they beat the best teams in the league, and had outstanding performances by Hill, Hunter (especially in the postseason), and Terry Mills.

But as soon as that season ended, the Palace went through another 3-year drought of ridiculous moves (trading Bonzi Wells for a 2nd-round pick?), busts (Loy Vaught, Jud Buechler), and soft players (Bison Dele and Christian Laettner). It just turned all that promise into just more bitter disappointment. I couldn't believe the Pistons traded Ratliff; I had a completely different reaction to that trade and it had nothing to do with Stackhouse.

It got to the point that I saw a great performance by the Pistons as an abberation. They lost so many 4th quarters. I think Gentry was 2-19 taking a lead into the fourth before he was fired in 2000. It was something ridiculous like that. They couldn't stop anyone, and so there was this impending doom they would lose no matter the score.

Jimcs50
04-17-2006, 06:43 PM
hahaha u must have been an animal in college.

I do not want to brag.....but they do have a social disease named after me at College Park, Md.

:spin

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I love that Sean Elliott thread. I still stand by my reasons for thinking Elliott's a bitch...

spurofthemoment
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I also remember when I saw Timmy at Wake and losing to Marcus Camby and UMASS but never thinking for once that Duncan would put on the silver and black

spurofthemoment
04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Got damn that was a good post :tuthanks a bunch :blah

spurofthemoment
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
We got Elliot back for nothing? Under Bob Hill's expert guidance Bill Curley would have been a HOFer.
YEAH I can here Bill Walton right now Bill Curley is so overpowering in the paint