PDA

View Full Version : $10.40 per hour, and no Americans....

Clandestino
04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
will pick apples in Washington State. Farmers have to use some law that allows them to get migrants from Mexico. The farmers must prove no Americans want the jobs, must pay at least $9 an hr, house the workers and provide transportation to and from Mexico... With all these stipulations, they still do it.. I just saw a farmer on tv talking about it...

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
I'd take that pay. I've worked for less.

Go USA!!

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Please tell me sombody else would be willing to this job.

Bueller?.....Bueller?

boutons_
04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
52 weeks x 40 hours x $10.40 = $21.6K.

But 10s of 1000s of Wal-Martians work for a lot less:

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Good luck picking apples for 52 weeks a year dipshit.

E20
04-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, people who own Farms are super rich.

Vashner
04-17-2006, 01:12 PM
It's not the pay it's the work conditions. It's one of those things where the first week is nice but after a while it's so boring your going nuts. At least other jobs you have co-workers to chew the shit with etc.

Also remember when you look at unemployment numbers.... lot of people simply choose not to work. Either lack of effort or stupidity or they just don't want to.

Seriously we all know if someone WANTS to work and they bust the ass they can get the job... Sometimes you have to move but other than that...

It's about human will and our free economy....

101A
04-17-2006, 01:19 PM
52 weeks x 40 hours x $10.40 = $21.6K.

But 10s of 1000s of Wal-Martians work for a lot less:

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart; but it doesn't pay any less than HEB for a checker. I wouldn't expect to raise a family if all I could do was check or bag groceries.

How much do YOU want to pay for unskilled labor?

Then, if Wal-Mart pays twelve bucks an hour for a checker - what do I have to pay my semiskilled employees to keep them from bolting to Wal-Mart? Then what do the non-skilled at WalMart do to compete with the semi-skilled from my company? Then what happens when Wal-Mart cuts the number of jobs because it is paying 50% more for each employee?

I'll tell you what happens - just about everybody currently working for $8 per hour at Wal-Mart is out of a job, 'cause they ain't worth $12 - then Wal-Mart only employees 50% of those employees AND I have to give raises to the ones I want to keep, AND reduce my worforce.

Unemployment, that's what happens.

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Americans are spoiled.

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
So I guess I'm the only who'd do it.

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Kudos to all the Wal-Mart workers and all the hard-working people who are willing to do what it takes to provide for their families!! There is hope.

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Good luck picking apples for 52 weeks a year dipshit.

I think people missed the meaning of my post...

You can't pick apples 52 weeks a year...

It's like a 1 month window.

MannyIsGod
04-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't do that job for 10 dollars an hour. Fuck that. My family has a bunch of migrant farm workers in it. I don't envy the way they bust their ass for a dollar. Its tough work man, really tough work.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't do that job for 10 dollars an hour. Fuck that. My family has a bunch of migrant farm workers in it. I don't envy the way they bust their ass for a dollar. Its tough work man, really tough work.
I'd do it if I were unemployed and it was the only work to be had.

What's the matter Manny, you opposed to hard work?

MannyIsGod
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I'd do it if I were unemployed and it was the only work to be had.

What's the matter Manny, you opposed to hard work?I'm opposed to working harder than I have to for a dollar. If I were unemployed I know I could find a job that:

a) paid more
b) was easier

I've taken jobs in the past for less because I believed in them, and I've also busted my ass for a few bucks because of what the work stood for. Besides, nothing would make my mother sadder than to see me walk down that path.

And Yoni, I don't believe for a second you'd do it. I doubt you've ever seen what its like to spend a day hunched over picking strawberries, onions, or lettuce. Its hell.

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I'd rather do that than get shot at.

I did most of the menial bullshit jobs that migrants come over here to do during my middle and highschool summers.

It's honest work, but it's hard.

I was mainly doing it to be taught the value of a dollar.

This was 10 years ago... I was getting less than $4 an hour daylight to dark.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm opposed to working harder than I have to for a dollar. If I were unemployed I know I could find a job that:

a) paid more
b) was easier

I've taken jobs in the past for less because I believed in them, and I've also busted my ass for a few bucks because of what the work stood for. Besides, nothing would make my mother sadder than to see me walk down that path.
Good for you. I stand by my premise that you'd either a) take the job if you were unemployed and it were the only job available or b) you're a lazy entitlement punk who would take a government check instead. Take your pick.

And Yoni, I don't believe for a second you'd do it. I doubt you've ever seen what its like to spend a day hunched over picking strawberries, onions, or lettuce. Its hell.
Well, I've never done that type of work but I've baled and hauled hay (before they started to roll it up and cart it off) for several seasons and I've walked behind a dump truck shoveling gravel for 10 miles a day on a patching and paving crew.

And, I'd do it again to feed my family. Further, if picking strawberries, onions, or lettuce were what was available -- I'd stand in line with your illegal cousins for the job. What'cha wanna bet I'd get a lesson in racial discrimination were I to try?

Indeed, I've tried to get jobs framing and roofing houses -- at day labor wages -- (something I did in an earlier life) to supplement my income in hard times, only to learn my skin wasn't brown enough.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd rather do that than get shot at.

I did most of the menial bullshit jobs that migrants come over here to do during my middle and highschool summers.

It's honest work, but it's hard.

I was mainly doing it to be taught the value of a dollar.

This was 10 years ago... I was getting less than $4 an hour daylight to dark.
You raise a valid point. They're taking the jobs our parents used to teach us the value of hard work and earning a living.

MannyIsGod
04-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Good for you. I stand by my premise that you'd either a) take the job if you were unemployed and it were the only job available or b) you're a lazy entitlement punk who would take a government check instead. Take your pick.
I'd start my own company. I've never once taken a government check.

Well, I've never done that type of work but I've baled and hauled hay (before they started to roll it up and cart it off) for several seasons and I've walked behind a dump truck shoveling gravel for 10 miles a day on a patching and paving crew.

And, I'd do it again to feed my family. Further, if picking strawberries, onions, or lettuce were what was available -- I'd stand in line with your illegal cousins for the job. What'cha wanna bet I'd get a lesson in racial discrimination were I to try?

Indeed, I've tried to get jobs framing and roofing houses -- at day labor wages -- (something I did in an earlier life) to supplement my income in hard times, only to learn my skin wasn't brown enough.
That sucks. Discrimination of any form is not good, obviously. Sounds like you've done some hard work in your time, I apoloigze for the above.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I'd start my own company.
Well, hell, wouldn't everybody. Sometimes you make some ridiculously idiotic statements.

I've never once taken a government check.
Nor have I but, if it were between that and watching your child starve because there were no jobs available due to the 15 million illegal aliens, wouldn't you be pissed?

That sucks. Discrimination of any form is not good, obviously. Sounds like you've done some hard work in your time, I apoloigze for the above.
Accepted. Now, tell your cousins to go back and improve their form of government in Mexico.

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
There wouldn't be this problem really if Rich Mexicans had ANY faith in the stability of their government.

The problem is, they have been playing "Let's steal from whomever isn't in power now" in a Ring around the Rosey format for the last 90 years.

For every Dollar of profit made in Mexico, 90 cents of it leaves the country to be somewhere that can't be stolen by other Mexicans.

As a result, infrastructure doesn't get built and a middle class isn't created.

This is starting to change a little, but all it takes is one dipshit to screw it up again.

Oh, Gee!!
04-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Accepted. Now, tell your cousins to go back and improve their form of government in Mexico.

go die in a fiery blast. You're a waste of hot air.

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow, someone doesn't like the fact Yonivore thinks Manny has cousins in Mexico.

DarkReign
04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Pffft...I would take the job in a heartbeat.

I washed dishes for 4 years at $5 an hour...that shit is a raise in comparison.

Clandestino
04-17-2006, 02:56 PM

yeah, why would they hire you when they know you were only going to stay for a short while?

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah, why would they hire you when they know you were only going to stay for a short while?

Ok I'll type this slow so you can read it.

W

T

F

DO

YOU

THINK

DAY

LABOR

MEANS?

Clandestino
04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
he said day labor WAGES. not just day labor..

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
How long do you think it takes to frame or roof a house?

Let me clue you in...ALL DAY LABORERS ARE FOR A SHORT WHILE.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Ok I'll type this slow so you can read it.

W

T

F

DO

YOU

THINK

DAY

LABOR

MEANS?
Ooops! Sorry, that was too slow for me.

Clandestino
04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
maybe they just "knew" you wouldn't work as hard being an american vs a mexican from past experience... discrimination... it's everywhere...

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
maybe they just "knew" you wouldn't work as hard being an american vs a mexican from past experience... discrimination... it's everywhere...
That was the inference.

Oh, Gee!!
04-17-2006, 03:54 PM

except when a mojo discriminates against an American it rarely results in an American losing his ability to earn a living, or his freedom, or other fundamental rights. When our government discriminates however.....

Clandestino
04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
That was the inference.

but we all know you can't work as hard as a mexican because you aren't mexican... no discrimination...

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
except when a mojo discriminates against an American it rarely results in an American losing his ability to earn a living,...
Link?

...or his freedom, or other fundamental rights.
And the illegal aliens are losing their freedom and fundamental rights how?

When our government discriminates however.....
Recent example?

Oh, Gee!!
04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Link?

LOLZERZ

And the illegal aliens are losing their freedom and fundamental rights how?

I don't know. I don't think my post implied that illegals are losing their fundamental rights. Maybe you inferred that, but that's probably because you have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader. The point of my post was that it is our government that can take away your fundamental rights through discrimination, not illegal aliens.

Recent example?

of governmental discrimination? There are so many. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass once, you'd understand.

Congrats, Yoni. You have been:

http://www.funny-games.biz/pictures/owned/immigratiowned.jpg

Extra Stout
04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
OMG... was that just a... STEREOTYPE??!!!! Don't make me go all 1836 on your ass!

word
04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
I think people missed the meaning of my post...

You can't pick apples 52 weeks a year...

It's like a 1 month window.

Yeah but you move on to something else, somewhere else. You can damn near pick something 365 days a year in California and Florida.

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah but you move on to something else, somewhere else. You can damn near pick something 365 days a year in California and Florida.

Yes, but then you have to be continuously moving. The assertion in this thread is that you want to provide for a family. How are your kids to get a decent and proper education if they are uprooted to a new town or district every month or two? How can you save for a down payment on a house if you have no city to call home? Americans are not nomadic by nature. Seasonal work would imply leading a nomadic lifestyle.

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't know. I don't think my post implied that illegals are losing their fundamental rights. Maybe you inferred that, but that's probably because you have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader. The point of my post was that it is our government that can take away your fundamental rights through discrimination, not illegal aliens.
Okay:

except when a mojo discriminates against an American it rarely results in an American losing his ability to earn a living or his freedom, or other fundamental rights.
My 5th grade comprehension tells me you're 1st grade composition implied that when an American discriminates against a "mojo" it causes him to "lose his ability to earn a living or his freedom, or other fundamental rights."

of governmental discrimination? There are so many. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass once, you'd understand.
Name one. Actually, name two (I know of one)...since passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Guru of Nothing
04-17-2006, 09:14 PM

If I did not have children to support, I'd move to Washington and pick apples for $10 per hour, no questions asked. If I had children to support, and $10 per hour was my best offer, I'm still all over it.

Fuck everyone and the measuring sticks they ride!

... with all due respect.

gameFACE
04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
There wouldn't be this problem really if Rich Mexicans had ANY faith in the stability of their government.
Nope. This is a chicken/egg situation because you can also say there aren't enough Americans willing to do these jobs. Thus, farmers have to get migrants. If some of the people (Americans, presumably) in here say that they would be willing to do that work why can't farmers find more Americans like that?

Yonivore
04-17-2006, 11:05 PM
...why can't farmers find more Americans like that?
Because there are unfair advantages to hiring illegal aliens. A lot of shit doesn't get reported to the proper places.

Nbadan
04-18-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm sure if this guy went to a college campus and offered $10.40 an hour to pick apples, he'd have some takers. The problem is he would have half the apples picked than if he hired an illegal to do the job.

Clandestino
04-18-2006, 08:57 AM
bullshit.. the farmer said, he'd offered $20 pr hr and no americans were willing to do the backbreaking work for more than a few days...

JoeChalupa
04-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm opposed to working harder than I have to for a dollar. If I were unemployed I know I could find a job that:

a) paid more
b) was easier

I'd take the job but I'm not one to always look for the easy way out. I've been down before and worked at West until I found something better.
I've worked in the migrant fields and am not ashamed that my family took that road and very proud that my parents took that road to provide for us.

They eventually moved us out of there when my dad found work at GM.
Those who've never been there and done that may not understand.
I've also worked for less because I believed in the cause but I think America has become a nation of "wants" and it has hurt us. I remember back when families would live in a nice family home that wasn't 2500 sq.ft and costs $100K and yeah I know that was years ago but damn....I just don't get people these days.

Nbadan
04-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I remember back when families would live in a nice family home that wasn't 2500 sq.ft and costs $100K and yeah I know that was years ago but damn....I just don't get people these days.

Great post Joe. I grew up much the same way, driving around in old clunkers and eating 'rice and beans and beans and rice' as conservative talk-host Dave Ramsey likes to say. Today, easy credit has made it possible for people to finance their Tahoe live-style. As I've posted before, many have over-brought houses based on interest-only financing or adjustable rate mortgages. Continuing rising interest rates and living a life-style beyond their means is squeezing these families. Many analysts are saying the small run in the market today is based on a rumor that the FEDS increasing interest rates is about to come to a end, although, long-term, I don't see it. Interest rates may stay the same for a quarter or two, but as long as the FED spending continues beyond its income, interest rates will continue to rise.

JoeChalupa
04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
What's funny is that later in life I realized that my dad was making very good money but he never changed. He could have easily moved into a bigger house and drove a new car every other year but he didn't. He always stayed a simple man with simple Christmas where we each got one toy and I guess that is why, and I'm proud to say, I think of myself as a simple man. Some may say simple minded too and that's okay.
Nothing against those who live in very nice homes because I know they are providing the best for their families and more power to them. Just a different way that is all.
Just like those with different political views. Good people I'm sure, they just have a different view on things and that's okay.

What can I say....I love you guys.