PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing in Houston Schools

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/3797645.html

Does it go to far? Should it go farther? Is it another ineffective offensive in the war on drugs and waste of taxpayer money?

Personally, I think it's a program that sounds great on paper but probably isn't going to change much of anything.

Opinionater
04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
IMHO, parents should test their own kids so we can use those tax dollars in a more productive way.

Jekka
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, if nothing else, it's a great way to keep at-risk kids away from programs that could possibly enrich their lives. :rolleyes If a student is commited to the after-school activity and not posing as a threat to peers then what would be purpose be of removing them from a program that has the potential to steer them away from self-destructive activities?

It's a poor use of taxes that could be better appropriated to science and art programs that are underfunded. Sounds like they're taking action just to take action instead of finding a lasting solution.

Vashner
04-17-2006, 11:49 AM
It's bullshit. Assumption of guilt.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, if nothing else, it's a great way to keep at-risk kids away from programs that could possibly enrich their lives. :rolleyes If a student is commited to the after-school activity and not posing as a threat to peers then what would be purpose be of removing them from a program that has the potential to steer them away from self-destructive activities?

It's a poor use of taxes that could be better appropriated to science and art programs that are underfunded. Sounds like they're taking action just to take action instead of finding a lasting solution.

I pretty much agree with Jekka on all of that.

I think we're moving very quickly to a slippery-slope on control of students with programs like this, although I do recognize the need to do something.

I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but San Marcos HS had some very high numbers for drug possession in the last police count.

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I'll assume that the "Just Say No" program is not working.

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll assume that the "Just Say No" program is not working.

When I was in high school, we used to party quite regularly with one of the biggest pot-heads/drunks I knew at the time....the D.A.R.E. president. :spin

JoeChalupa
04-17-2006, 12:09 PM
When I was in high school, we used to party quite regularly with one of the biggest pot-heads/drunks I knew at the time....the D.A.R.E. president. :spin

That sounds NORML to me. :angel