PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett or Allen Iverson?

SilverSpur
04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
If the rumors are true, that both these players are going to be traded this off season. Which one would you like to see in a Spurs uniform. Me personaly, I would like to see Kevin Garnett come to San Antonio because it looks like Tim Duncan is stating to slow down, and he had said at one time that he had no problem retiring at a young age.

SAGambler
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
If the rumors are true, that both these players are going to be traded this off season. Which one would you like to see in a Spurs uniform. Me personaly, I would like to see Kevin Garnett come to San Antonio because it looks like Tim Duncan is stating to slow down, and he had said at one time that he had no problem retiring at a young age.

Why. KG and TD are the same age (Both born in 1976). Flip Saunders rode KG into the ground. He probably has less left in the tank than Tim.

phyzik
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, since we have Duncan for a while (and is far from done) I'd go with AI.

midgetonadonkey
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
My vote is for niether.

jmard5
04-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, since we have Duncan for a while (and is far from done) I'd go with AI.

Iverson is not a team player. I don't think he fits in the system.

1Parker1
04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Iverson is not a team player.

Have you even watched a Sixers game these past two seasons? Iverson has matured considerably from his old days. Not only that, but he has a passion for basketball and averages something like 7-8 assists a game...yea he's really not a "team player" :rolleyes

Anyways, even though neither trade would ever happen, I'd have to go with having KG on the Spurs, simply because KG +Tim Duncan in the middle would be a 70 win team.

Sportman
04-17-2006, 11:43 AM
My vote is for niether.

Thatīs a good answer :rolleyes

1Parker1
04-17-2006, 11:45 AM

BTW, not sure if I understand this thread. Are you trying to say that the Spurs could/should go after these players in the offseason? Because it wouldn't be possible to get either of them without giving up Manu or Tony (or both).

midgetonadonkey
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Thatīs a good answer :rolleyes

Why is it not a good answer?

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
if kg is willin to come to the spurs for the minimum or mle, same with duncan when both o f their max contract expires, i can really see garnett or td playin the camby defensive role. 08/09 season is when i think both of them and our core 5 contract expires, we all sign them to minimum besides parker, and then try and steal scorin type player like maybe lebron hahhaha

Rummpd
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Neither, J O'Neal = more size and as good of defender in Spurs system potentially as K Garnett and more realistic.

cheguevara
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Either one, then I'd trade him for Paul Pierce or Shawn Marion.

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm always amazed when these supposed "dream" trades are discussed, very few people think about the fundamental question of "What do you have to give up to acquire this guy?"

Remember both these guys have enormous salaries. With that said, are you entertaining the idea of parting with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker or a combination therein.

There aint nothin' free in this world.

For the record, both of these guys are great players in their own right. However, I wouldn't want either of them for the folliowing reasons.

After 10 years, it obvious that Garnett, by his own admission, is not a number one option. He doesn't have the low post game that Tim has. Therefore, he cannot command and draw double teams, leaving his shooters with those open looks. While he's a tremendously gifted and hard-nosed player, he's not the guy whose gonna pound you in the clutch.

As for AI, he's a great scorer, plays passing lanes well, yet has a lot of mileage on his frail physique. Big players tend to last longer in this league than smaller players. Clearly his best days are now and going by fast. He could have a much more greater affect on the overall game if he would consciously involve his teammates. He simply has not done so.

I'm willing to ride Tim until the "bloody" end. After all, he's been good for 3 championships so far. He'll likely guide us to a couple more before he's done.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Have you even watched a Sixers game these past two seasons? Iverson has matured considerably from his old days. Not only that, but he has a passion for basketball and averages something like 7-8 assists a game...yea he's really not a "team player" :rolleyes

I'd rather not hijack this thread and turn it into an AI debate. I'm just going to say this and move on: there's no way that team he has is worse than Chicago or Milwaukee. The ball should be in Chris Webber's hands, like it was in Snow's in 2001, with AI running off screens and, on at least a few possessions, act as a decoy for lobs to Andre Iguodala, open jumpers for Kyle Korver and John Salmons.

Unfortunately, all he does is dribble the basketball upcourt and drive to the rim, take a jumper, or give it up to Webber with the expressed purpose of getting it back making it the easiest pick-and-pop to guard in the league.

He hasn't matured in his game, and that's where I have always had problems with him. He never learned that he could be unstoppable if he trusted his teammates, and that makes him a waste of talent, in my opinion. He still complains about going to the bench, he still complains if someone else takes a shot and misses.

They lost 101-91 to the Pistons, but I was impressed by Iguodala's game, and how effective Webber still was, the talents of John Salmons, etc. when Iverson wasn't playing. I kept thinking that all that team was really missing was Reggie Miller or Ray Allen and a perimeter defender to hide Korver's deficencies. Not a team that could contend for a Championship; Webber doesn't have that much left. But a team that could win as many games as a Cleveland.

Where he lost me was in 2003. Right after Randy Ayers was fired, he said that he felt disrespected because the Sixers didn't tell him - the star player - that they were going to fire Ayers. When he was asked "Do you respect Chris Ford?" He said "no. I mean, what has he done to earn my respect? Who is he?"

How about a starter on an NBA Championship team? How about being an assistant coach for two other Championship teams? Playing and coaching Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish would make me respect him for his knowledge.

That's when he said to me "I don't care about a championship. I want a team that is my own." All those things we say about Kobe Bryant, I suddenly saw in him. Wanting to win and doing anything to win are two seperate issues. I don't doubt AI's got the former, it's the latter that I think he has lacked.

Sportman
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Why is it not a good answer?

NO, it IS a good answer, that`s what i meant

mavsfan1000
04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Garnett>Iverson any day of the weak. This is an easy decision.

SenorSpur
04-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd rather not hijack this thread and turn it into an AI debate. I'm just going to say this and move on: there's no way that team he has is worse than Chicago or Milwaukee. The ball should be in Chris Webber's hands, like it was in Snow's in 2001, with AI running off screens and, on at least a few possessions, act as a decoy for lobs to Andre Iguodala, open jumpers for Kyle Korver and John Salmons.

Unfortunately, all he does is dribble the basketball upcourt and drive to the rim, take a jumper, or give it up to Webber with the expressed purpose of getting it back making it the easiest pick-and-pop to guard in the league.

He hasn't matured in his game, and that's where I have always had problems with him. He never learned that he could be unstoppable if he trusted his teammates, and that makes him a waste of talent, in my opinion. He still complains about going to the bench, he still complains if someone else takes a shot and misses.

They lost 101-91 to the Pistons, but I was impressed by Iguodala's game, and how effective Webber still was, the talents of John Salmons, etc. when Iverson wasn't playing. I kept thinking that all that team was really missing was Reggie Miller or Ray Allen and a perimeter defender to hide Korver's deficencies. Not a team that could contend for a Championship; Webber doesn't have that much left. But a team that could win as many games as a Cleveland.

Where he lost me was in 2003. Right after Randy Ayers was fired, he said that he felt disrespected because the Sixers didn't tell him - the star player - that they were going to fire Ayers. When he was asked "Do you respect Chris Ford?" He said "no. I mean, what has he done to earn my respect? Who is he?"

How about a starter on an NBA Championship team? How about being an assistant coach for two other Championship teams? Playing and coaching Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish would make me respect him for his knowledge.

That's when he said to me "I don't care about a championship. I want a team that is my own." All those things we say about Kobe Bryant, I suddenly saw in him. Wanting to win and doing anything to win are two seperate issues. I don't doubt AI's got the former, it's the latter that I think he has lacked.

Thanks Darrin for crystallizing my point about A.I.

He doesn't see the BIG picture and I also believe his style of play is "stunting" the development and play of the other guys on that team.

I'm surprised Mo Cheeks didn't try and alter the balance of the team when he arrived.

zeleni
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM

No, you didn't hijacked anything.

Wanting to win and not understanding what does it mean to do anything to win...is where KG also lacks.

Problem is, these two stars will never again have their own team if they want to win. No owner would let them screw around. They will be only missing pieces of a puzzle (Offcourse this plays out only if franchise owners are BB smart guys with people skills).

mavsfan1000
04-17-2006, 03:58 PM
The thing about Garnett is he is the perfect role player for any team but he isn't made to be the man. Iverson is the opposite. He can't accept being a role player and takes all the shots no matter if you like it or not.

nkdlunch
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
there are at least 20 other players I would rather get than them 2

Fabbs
04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Not giving up GNob or Parker to get him?

Would welcome KG with open arms.
He doesn't have a title therefor he sucks? I will not tell your probation officer about your crack use.