PDA

View Full Version : Two Sex Offenders Shot in Maine

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1849559&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

BOSTON Apr 17, 2006 (AP)— Maine police found two registered sex offenders shot to death in towns 25 miles apart and quickly zeroed in on a suspect. After almost 12 hours and a manhunt that stretched through three states, police pulled over a bus carrying Stephen A. Marshall to Boston and the 20-year-old Canadian fatally shot himself as officers boarded.

Marshall died late Sunday before he could answer questions about whether he knew the Maine victims sex offenders whose deaths prompted officials to take down the Maine Sex Offender Registry Web site. The site lists the photos, names and addresses of more than 2,200 sex offenders.

"We will try to establish what is the link between these three men but as of tonight there's no known connection," Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

The sex offenders Joseph L. Gray, 57, of Milo, and William Elliott, 24, of Corinth were shot to death in their central Maine homes, officials said.

Marshall, who lived in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, had come to Houlton, Maine, for the first time to meet his father, McCausland said.

He was driving his father's pickup, which was spotted leaving the scene in Corinth around 8:15 a.m., about five hours after the shooting in Milo was reported. The truck was later abandoned near an ice arena in Bangor, Maine.

Calling Marshall a "person of interest" in the shootings, Maine State Police alerted Boston authorities that he may be heading toward the city, McCausland said.

Police cornered Marshall on a Vermont Bus Lines coach that he had boarded in Bangor, Procopio said. Sitting 13 rows behind the driver, he pulled a .45 caliber handgun when officers boarded the bus and shot himself in the head.

When paramedics arrived, they found a second handgun in Marshall's possession, Procopio said.

No one else on the bus was injured, Procopio said, but five passengers who were splattered with blood were taken to area hospitals to be examined.

This comes a week after the sentencing of a man who did something similar, which was discussed in this thread: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=858712#post858712

There was some talk that this guy might inspire copycats. Could this be the case? And of course I think it's fair to re-ask Bishop Ryan's question, "Is this what's right or wrong with the world?"

Banks91
04-17-2006, 01:41 PM
they got what they deserve, plain and simple. The guy should be viewed as a fucking hero man, a hero.

easjer
04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
It depends on the circumstances under which the men were initially convicted and later labelled sex offenders for me. Of course that is an emotional response.

Under no circumstances, if we are going to try and make this social contract work, are people allowed to intervene in the judicial workings and lynch/kill others. Vigilante justice does more to disrail and abuse a set of laws than to enforce them. And frankly, this is exactly the problem with posting this information about convicts and forcing them to register and be labelled. It's ineffective and causes a reduced quality of life for the people who have already served a prison sentence.

You have to either label (and require them to register) all criminals convicted of crimes (other than misdemeanors) or none of them, as far as I am concerned. It's the only fair thing to do. Otherwise - this is the kind of thing which can happen.

Sec24Row7
04-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I feel real bad for 18-20 year old kids who have 16 year old girlfriends and the girls father goes after them.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I feel real bad for 18-20 year old kids who have 16 year old girlfriends and the girls father goes after them.

My wife (easjer, who went home sick so I'm saying what I'm sure she'd say) knew a guy in that situation in high school. IIRC, they started going out when he was 17 and she was 15, and her parents weren't happy about it, especially when they found out the two kids were having sex. So when he turned 18 and it didn't stop they pressed charges and he got convicted and registered. So he has the same red flag as a guy who rapes a six year old on every piece of paperwork he fills out. Pretty fucked up huh?

Duff McCartney
04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
http://h1.ripway.com/Duff/bscap024.jpg

Are these the guys you're talking about?

T Park
04-18-2006, 01:58 AM
My wife (easjer, who went home sick so I'm saying what I'm sure she'd say) knew a guy in that situation in high school. IIRC, they started going out when he was 17 and she was 15, and her parents weren't happy about it, especially when they found out the two kids were having sex. So when he turned 18 and it didn't stop they pressed charges and he got convicted and registered. So he has the same red flag as a guy who rapes a six year old on every piece of paperwork he fills out. Pretty fucked up huh?

Typical govt.

No common sense need apply.