PDA

View Full Version : Rank the probabiliity of upset West, current standings

Rummpd
04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Underdog in parenthesis:

Spurs vs Kings (10%) If and only if either Manu or Tim goes down. Suns will win one game, this site and ESPN will go crazy about the Kings, but fear not. Artest can only guard one player and BB is just as good if not as good of defender and will pick up Bibby when needed.

Suns vs. Lakers (30%) Suns were on coast without Nash, but still not as sharp lately. Lakers could surprise if Odom plays well and Kobe goes off.

Mavs vs. Grizz (20%) If Grizz had ever won a playoff game, would give them a > chance, still playing good ball and are deep. Still could go 6-7 and one injury to Mavs more and this one could go the other way.

Denver vs. Clippers (45%) Almost a pickem, except Carmelo is pretty clutch and the Clipppers recent slide is worrysome, but were they sort of trying to dodge the "big boys" subconciously?

FreshPrince22
04-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Spurs vs. Kings (20.68%) Not likely, but anything can happen. Kings are dangerous with Artest. Manu and Timmy health?

Suns vs. Lakers (40.14%) Kobe. 2 teams going in different directions right now. Lakers playing their best ball. Suns playing their worst.

Mavs vs. Grizz (13.354%) I don't see the Grizz making this very interesting.

Denver vs. Clippers... Who's the favorite? I'd say the Clippers have a 60.53% chance of beating the Nuggets.

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 02:41 PM
A month ago I would have said the Clippers could upset the Nuggs. But they have really not been so great lately. And other than Cassell, who has any real playoff experience on that team?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Underdog in parenthesis:

Spurs vs Kings (10%) If and only if either Manu or Tim goes down. Suns will win one game, this site and ESPN will go crazy about the Kings, but fear not. Artest can only guard one player and BB is just as good if not as good of defender and will pick up Bibby when needed.

I'd be shocked if the Suns can pull one out in this particular series.

Darrin
04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I'll do this on Thursday. I think the 2/7 and 3/6 bracket is ripe for upsets and it will depend on which teams get those seeds.

Xylus
04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Spurs vs. Kings (15%) - The Kings are a powerful team now, but the Spurs are proven champions, and they've played like it despite nagging injuries all season. Sorry Kings. I expect the Spurs' Big Three to turn it up a notch once the playoffs start. The Kings might snatch 2 games if the Spurs get a little lazy, but it's doubtful.

Suns vs. Lakers (20%) - Laker fans are getting a little too cocky as of late, saying that the Lakers are going to upset the Suns easily, because the Suns don't play any defense. It's true that the Suns' defense sucks since KT went down. But Phoenix's offensive onslaught is too much for the Lakers' defense to handle. Phoenix is playing poorly, but I think they've just been in autopilot since they locked up the division.

Mavericks vs. Grizzlies (25%) - Grizzlies are not going to get swept this year, I'm pretty sure. I think they could win 2 games against Dallas, maybe 3 if they play their absolute best the entire series. Dallas is destined to go to the semifinals this year, though.

Nuggets vs. Clippers (60%) - This series could go either way. I think Elton Brand is going to dominate, however, and that will be key.

timvp
04-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Almost a pickem, except Carmelo is pretty clutch and the Clipppers recent slide is worrysome

A month ago I would have said the Clippers could upset the Nuggs. But they have really not been so great lately.

Nothing is wrong with the Clips, they just want to get the 6th seed. They haven't been playing to win for a while. Last night against the Sonics, Boniface N'Dong was their go-to guy in the fourth.

You can't really take away anything from how they are playing lately ... except I learned that his name is pronounced "Bon-If-Atch Dong".

pache100
04-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd be shocked if the Suns can pull one out in this particular series.

That's what I thought, too. I read it three times. :lol

FreshPrince22
04-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Yea, don't let the clippers "slide" fool you. They aren't even playing out there. They're tanking to get that 6th seed.

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Nothing is wrong with the Clips, they just want to get the 6th seed. They haven't been playing to win for a while. Last night against the Sonics, Boniface N'Dong was their go-to guy in the fourth.

You can't really take away anything from how they are playing lately ... except I learned that his name is pronounced "Bon-If-Atch Dong".

His WHAT itches?

So, if the Clips haven't been playing to win for awhile, why wouldn't that trend continue in the playoffs? Do they possess one of these mythical 'switches'? If so, then I would go with them over the Nuggs, for sure. I said last month that I would have no issue with Spurs falling to 4th seed if it meant a 1st-round match with the Clips, cus to me the Spurs seem to need a catalyst to light their playoff fire, and I thought the Clips could be it.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
His WHAT itches?

So, if the Clips haven't been playing to win for awhile, why wouldn't that trend continue in the playoffs? Do they possess one of these mythical 'switches'? If so, then I would go with them over the Nuggs, for sure. I said last month that I would have no issue with Spurs falling to 4th seed if it meant a 1st-round match with the Clips, cus to me the Spurs seem to need a catalyst to light their playoff fire, and I thought the Clips could be it.

Well in the playoffs, their starters will start. Last night they sat out two of their starters just so they could avoid accidentally winning and getting the 5 seed.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Spurs vs. Kings-24.7%. The Spurs have health issues that could rear their ugly heads at any time, and the Kings have the personnel (at least in their starting five) to give the Spurs trouble. With that said, I think the Spurs give them an extra large helping of SPAM in five.

Mavs vs. Griz -13.63%. Without a big showing from Gasol I don't like Memphis' chances, and Dampier and Diop have 12 fouls to give to keep him from getting comfortable. I figure the scores will be kept low, but not low enough for the Grizzlies. Mavs sweep but the games stay close.

Suns vs. Lakers- 37.1%. With the combination of Kobe Bryant and the Suns defense no lead will ever be safe for Phoenix. What it really comes to in my mind isn't, "Can they get four big games out of Bryant?"; it's "Can they can get four good games out of Lamar Odom?" From what I've seen lately, I'd say there's a 37.1 percent chance of that happening.

Nuggets vs. Clippers 49.86% It's a crap shoot because there's just too many question marks. The Clippers don't have a lot of playoff experience outside of Sam Cassell. The Nuggets have the physical intensity but no consistent second scorer. I figure this things goes at least six, and I honestly have no clue which way.

BigVee
04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Spurs v Kings (0%) 4-1
Mavs v Grizzlies (0%) 4-1
Suns v Lakers (0%) 4-1
Nuggets v Clippers (60%) 4-3 This assumes Magette plays.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I haven't actually been watching any Clipper games lately, so I can't say for certain that they've been tanking, but it certainly makes a lot of sense for them and this is a serious problem for the league. By losing games, they've gone from a series against the 2nd best team in the west (record wise) without HCA to a series against the 6th best team, with HCA... really the whole situation is just ridiculous and I think the NBA has got to have this fixed for next season.

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Spurs vs. Kings (20.68%) Not likely, but anything can happen. Kings are dangerous with Artest. Manu and Timmy health?

Suns vs. Lakers (40.14%) Kobe. 2 teams going in different directions right now. Lakers playing their best ball. Suns playing their worst.

Mavs vs. Grizz (13.354%) I don't see the Grizz making this very interesting.

Denver vs. Clippers... Who's the favorite? I'd say the Clippers have a 60.53% chance of beating the Nuggets.

And here I was having trouble determining how the good doctor came up with his..... :lol

kskonn
04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Spurs vs Kings (15%)
Suns vs Lakers (35%)
Denver vs Clips ( 60%)
Dallas vs Grizz ( 25%) I think this series will be very fun to watch.

correct me if I am wrong but the clips are tanking because as the 6th seed they would have HCA and not see the MAVs? or do the nuggs automatically get the HCA for being the number 3 seed?

Kori Ellis
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
correct me if I am wrong but the clips are tanking because as the 6th seed they would have HCA and not see the MAVs?

Yes, Clips will have HCA over the Nuggets.

BigVee
04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Better record = HCA

DetroitSpursFan
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Spurs V Sacto = 5%

Suns V Lakers = 20%

Nuggets V Clippers = 40%

Mavs V Griz = 35%

Melmart1
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Well in the playoffs, their starters will start. Last night they sat out two of their starters just so they could avoid accidentally winning and getting the 5 seed.

ahhh, that makes a little more sense. i dont really like that kind of shenanigans, but it will make for an interesting series, to say the least. i am still not sure the clips would win that series, though.

Frenchise player
04-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I really like the matchups in the first round, all 8 teams are good, not like in the east where there is just four good teams.
Everibody has a chance and most of the series will be fun to watch especially Kings vs Spurs and Lakers vs Suns.
My upset will be the Nuggets (since they have the worse record I think that they are the underdog in this one), because I believe they want to prove more than the Clippers who will be just happy to be there.But that's going to be a tough serie for sure.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Spurs V Sacto = 0% SPAM+Bras+HealthyDuncan = 0%

Suns V Lakers = 40% Kobe will probably win two games on his own.

Nuggets V Clippers = 50% Clippers will have HCA and Camby/Kenyon will probably get injured if the series goes long.

Mavs V Griz = 10% Grizzlies will grind out a win along the way but Mavs will likely win 4-1.

JamStone
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
If these do end up being the playoff match-ups ...

Spurs vs Kings (40%) It's not so much on the Spurs, but more so because I think the Kings are that good. They spent significant time playing this season without Ron Artest, Bonzi Wells, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. I think they could be well above 50 wins had those players been healthy and on the roster for the entire season. With Manu and Tim not at 100%, the first series is the one to really catch the Spurs of guard and not at their best. The first round series might be the most difficult from a health standpoint. They have a roster that can very easily compete with any of the top teams in either conference. If I knew Tim and Manu were around 80% or better, I would slide that percentage of upset to less than 10%.

Suns vs. Lakers (50%) Kobe makes that much of a difference. Raja Bell guards Kobe pretty well. I don't know when Chris Mihm will be healthy enough to play. But, even without him, Odom, Cook, and Kwame Brown should have an advantage on the glass. Phil Jackson might have some things up his sleeve for the playoffs. I think it's very realistic

Mavs vs. Grizz (5%) Mavs cannot lose to the Grizz. If they do, they are the biggest chokers ever. If they lose to Memphis, Cuban should sell the team and have it moved to Las Vegas.

Denver vs. Clippers (45%) Much of it depends how healthy Kenyon Martin and Marcus Camby are. Maggette still not healthy. Clippers' wing players cannot guard the Nuggets wing players. I would put my money on the Nuggets if K-Mart and Camby play, even if they are not 100%. Problem is, they might not play.

samikeyp
04-17-2006, 05:45 PM

Yes!! :tu

SpursWoman
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM

:smokin

Winnipeg_Spur
04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Spurs vs Kings (1%) Duncan does not lose in the first round...

Suns vs Lakers (30%) Suns lack of size is troubling, but they've still won 7 of the last 8 against LA.

Nuggets vs Clippers (60%) I just hate the Nuggets lack of shooters, I think that'll bite em in the ass this postseason as the Clips can pack the paint with Brand and Kaman.

Mavs vs Grizzlies (15%) Memphis is solid, but they just won their way into a nightmare playoff series, Dallas is too good to lose in the first round, I don't think the Grizz can score enough to win it.

CosmicCowboy
04-17-2006, 06:08 PM

Suns vs Lakers (30%) Suns lack of size is troubling, but they've still won 7 of the last 8 against LA.

Nuggets vs Clippers (60%) I just hate the Nuggets lack of shooters, I think that'll bite em in the ass this postseason as the Clips can pack the paint with Brand and Kaman.

Mavs vs Grizzlies (15%) Memphis is solid, but they just won their way into a nightmare playoff series, Dallas is too good to lose in the first round, I don't think the Grizz can score enough to win it.

nice analysis. Low post count but right on.

I think the Clips over Nuggets is the only upset. Brand is a monster and with Nene down this year Denver will come up short. Carmello will cry.

Vingianx
04-17-2006, 06:22 PM

nicely said, and period.

mikejones99
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Spurs or Denver wins west. Sacramento is about a 5 to 1 underdog if they play Spurs in First round. Detroit is about 12 to one favorites in their first round. Spurs are +$ 2.50 to win it all and now Detroit is now even money and Miami is + $9.00 Dal $ 8.00

slayermin
04-17-2006, 08:06 PM

The word "dong" in korean means shit or crap. I have to "dong" means I have to crap.

Samr
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Spurs/Kings (15%)- Artest can cause some problems, and so can Bibby. For a game. Give two teams time to ready for eachother, and there is rarely a strategic surprise, or at least one that would find an opponent completely unprepared. In this case, especially given the length of the series, the best team will (almost) always win. Sac will scare, but not defeat. Spurs in 5.

Suns/Lakers (27%)- Kobe is too good not to take a game or two, but what about the rest of the team? Again, see above. The better TEAM, as in, a group consisting of five or more players working together cohesively, will prevail. Suns in 6, but not threatened.

Nuggets/Clippers (40%)- You can argue both ways, and there really isn't a definitively correct choice. But I'm going on a hunch, Nuggets in 4.

Dallas/Grizzlies (15%)- Grizz might steal a game, but the team is too inexperienced. Dirk, Howard, Terry, and Stack will carry Dallas through with few problems. Next round, however, could see Dirk readying his tackle box.

For some reason, I just do not see the Spurs and Dallas playing eachother in the WCF, and I know I am one of the few here. If the Spurs were the 4, then I could easily see it, but not now. Just something about Dallas. Or maybe I'm just too involved/delusional with my conspiracy theory that Avery still has a silver and black paycheck.