PDA

View Full Version : Cassell's threatens holdout

picnroll
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Timberwolves: Cassell threatens a holdout
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=fanball-timberwolvescassellt&prov=fanball&type=lgns)
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Monday, October 4, 2004

News
Timberwolves All-Star point guard Sam Cassell is looking for a multi-year contract extension, and he may not join the team until his demands are met, according to KFAN.com. Cassell did not fly into town for Monday's mandatory media-day session, and his agent, Dr. Charles Tucker, confirmed that the guard is prepared to hold out. Neither Tucker nor the Timberwolves could confirm if Cassell would let his holdout last into the regular season. Cassell is signed through the 2005-06 season and is scheduled to make $5.65 million this season.

Views
The Wolves posted the West's best regular season record last season, and they managed to keep their roster intact over the offseason. Sadly, though, the good chemistry and sunny outlook could now be shattered by Cassell's demands. We imagine more details will come out over the next day or two, and we'll be sure to follow this closely. If Cassell doesn't show up this season, Troy Hudson would take over the starting point guard role.

maxpower
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
trade the ingrate.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
good turmoil with our number one compotion

ShoogarBear
10-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Of course, the exact thing you want to do with an old guard with health problems who limped his way through the playoffs is to give him more money and a longer contract.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 06:45 PM
i would do it with jackson

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Of course, the exact thing you want to do with an old guard with health problems who limped his way through the playoffs is to give him more money and a longer contract.

*Golf clap*

xcoriate
10-04-2004, 06:49 PM
What team is going to cripple themselves with a long contract extension to a aging point guard that showed little signs of life in the playoffs...

Oh thats right the Clippers.

ducks
10-04-2004, 06:53 PM
humm sam threating to sit out
has killed spurs in past
kmartin punches teamates
nice 2 teams already having chemistry problems that coudl challenge spurs

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
yeah what the hell happened with K-Mart and NeNe?

BronxCowboy
10-04-2004, 07:52 PM
They issued a statement about it . . . original story went that practice got a little heated then KMart sucker punched Nene and Nene needed stitches. Statement denied that KMart punched Nene and said something to the effect that it was just a physical practice, and Nene never needed any stitches. Does anybody with a good source know what really went down?

ducks
10-04-2004, 07:54 PM
go to nba forum to read scoop

ShoogarBear
10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Looks like it didn't take long for K-Mart to feel right at home in Denver.

I would pay cash money to see K-Mart and KG practice against each other.

picnroll
10-04-2004, 07:58 PM
They had a story on a Nugget's board and someone who was claim a source said Nene was throwing 'bos, Martin told him "throw another 'bo and I'll kick your ass". Nene threw another 'bo and Martin dropped him. He said it actually happened a week or two ago.

Kiki is the moron of the year getting Martin to add to the two other head cases Nene and Melo. One headcase per team max. This team will be killing each other by January.

spursfaninla
10-04-2004, 08:12 PM
If minny doesn't settle this soon, they are gonna tank !

:lmao

So much for Minny going all the way.

Cassell is not even healthy yet, is he?

ChumpDumper
10-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Trade Parker for Cassell....

Brodels
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
That's terrible timing. Sam is an idiot. You signed a contract for below your market value. Deal with it.

Play well and stay healthy and you'll get an extension eventually.

I love it. It can't do anything but hurt the Wolves.

spurster
10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Cassell signed the contract. Cassell should keep its terms. It's not like he's going to starve on his current salary.

It's possible though, that Cassell quietly sought to negotiate an extension with the Wolves, then the Wolves refused to even discuss it, then Cassell goes public as a negotiation tactic.

sickdsm
10-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah it was a pretty crappy deal. His agent originally knew nothing of Sam's not showing up. In a way i could see maybe if it was spree, because he's going to get an extension and they've talked about it with management. But maybe i havn't been paying close enough attention but i don't remember hearing anything about Sam demanding an extension. That's what pisses me off, you just up and decide at a horrible time to do that. Maybe it had something to do with the Kidd rumors, i don't know. I think Sam has two years left on his deal, next year is an option, not sure though. He's basically trying to get Glen Taylor, who he sees dishing out checks this year and last year, to make up the difference for his being underpaid. He's definatly worth more than 5 mil last year and this year but seriously, he's almost 35 as it stands, his contract ends in '06. He would almost be 37 years old the first year of his extension. But as it stands i'm glad the wolves signed Troy Hudson. BTW, did i mention that troy was limping today at media day???

:shootme

Mark in Austin
10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
BTW, did i mention that troy was limping today at media day???

What, did Garnett punch him in the knee or something?

spursfaninla
10-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Mark, that was pdf...

:devil

Let Minny take themselves out of contention. Cassell doesn't care, he already has a ring.

Mofo is going to funk up his team, loser.

genghisrex
10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
What, did Garnett punch him in the knee or something?

:rollin

iminlakerland
10-05-2004, 12:41 AM
See this is one of the main things killing the league. A player screws a team over by either refusing to play because hes not getting a contract extension, or demands to be traded. WTF enough is enough already!

totalspurshomer
10-05-2004, 04:42 AM
That's too bad that Cassell chose this time of year to make such demands. It's not surprising, though. He always seems to be underpaid(and complaining about it), but this is mostly his doing if I remember correctly. I seem to remember somewhere along the way he was complaining and his team met him halfway by raising his salary moderately, but extending the years. Since then, he's in this cycle where he's dissatisfied with the money about 2 or 3 years before the deal expires.

By comparison, he's always been paid less than he's worth. But if he had just let his deal expire long ago, rather than take extensions for moderate salary bumps, he could've hit a great salary increase in free agency. And at this stage in his career it's too late to let it expire and expect a big payday. He can't win this battle, but he did it to himself.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
http://hem.passagen.se/kareola/gallery/aliens.jpg

don't cry Sam...someone will finally pay you what you think you are worth...

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2004, 07:41 AM
hmmm...why didn't my picture work?...Kori, did I do something wrong?

sickdsm
10-05-2004, 09:43 PM
If it was going to be a big deal i think a reworked deal should be done. I don't know about particulars but if its legal (like McHale worries about THAT) maybe a extension could be worded in there if he meets certain incentives. This is the latest.

Cassell headed to Twin Cities
Last Update: 10/5/2004 2:58:20 PM

KFAN dot com

A day after skipping the Timberwolves' mandatory media day without explanation, Wolves point guard Sam Cassell took a flight to the Twin Cities on Tuesday and could join the team in Collegeville by Wednesday.

But his agent, Dr. Charles Tucker, did not indicate whether Cassell's arrival would indicate an imminent end to the enigmatic guard's contract dispute.

Although Cassell missed the Wolves' first training camp practice Tuesday morning, Tucker said it was "unfair to call (Cassell's absence) a holdout."

Tucker on Monday told the FAN that Cassell was unhappy with his current contract, which will pay him $5.65 million this season, and planned to sit out for an unspecified length of time. His whereabouts were not clear.

Cassell, 34, is signed through the 2005-06 season. He has the fourth-highest salary on the team.

The former Florida State standout averaged 19.8 points and 7.3 assists in 81 games last season. He posted 16.6 points and 4.4 assists in 16 postseason appearances, but missed two games with hip and back injuries.

Cassell had surgery in June to repair torn cartilage in his hip. He was expected to be healthy enough to open training camp on time.

WOLVES TO SIGN GRIFFIN?
Troubled forward Eddie Griffin took a physical Tuesday morning in Collegeville, and was expected to sign a contract within 24 hours.

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound former Seton Hall star spent time with New Jersey last season but did not play before the club waived him in February.

Griffin, 22, entered the Betty Ford Center for alcohol abuse in January and later entered another residential alcohol treatment program. He plead guilty in March to a misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct stemming from an incident in October 2003, and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

He also was convicted of marijuana possession in January.

Selected seventh overall by New Jersey in the 2001 NBA Draft, Griffin was traded to Houston for the draft rights to Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong.

In 150 career games, all with Houston, Griffin has averaged 8.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks. He has 90 career starts.

If the wolves don't blow themselves up they are definatly looking to be absolutely loaded

ducks
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Ouch!

SequSpur
10-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Move to NBA Forum.

ducks
10-05-2004, 10:00 PM
troy hudson is not ready yet either see nba forum................................

SequSpur
10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
These topics have no effect on the Spurs.

ducks
10-05-2004, 10:22 PM
dude wolves are spurs biggest hurdle this year

SequSpur
10-05-2004, 10:25 PM
You're High.

Duff McCartney
10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
You're High.

You're short.

SequSpur
10-05-2004, 10:31 PM
You're Duff, the Freeloader. :)

Kori Ellis
10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Ahem. Both of you STFU.

SequSpur
10-05-2004, 10:37 PM
:lol

Just making room for more SPURS topics!!!!

Keep em coming!