PDA

View Full Version : Travel Prices

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
As some of you know, I'm going to be in Washington, DC from May 13-May 21.

I'm going to need a car from May 13 (about 6 p.m.) - May 18 (morning/midday) and a hotel from May 13 - May 17.

It looks like about $400-$410 is the best I can do, but I want to know if there's more.

I can get about $135 on Priceline for the car and about $250-275 for the hotel. Are those the best rates?

Kori Ellis
04-18-2006, 01:09 AM
sabutta is in the travel industry. He should be able to tell you the scoop. If no one else answers you and he doesn't see this thread, you should PM him.

kris
04-18-2006, 01:32 AM
traveldramafoyomommadotcomma.com has always done me right.

T Park
04-18-2006, 01:56 AM
^^ :lmao

MannyIsGod
04-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Do you really need a car in DC? From my understanding the way they zone the cabs there makes them pretty afforadable and that might be cheaper than renting a car. Maybe Shoog would know more.

Melmart1
04-18-2006, 03:33 AM
Depending on where your hotel is and where you need to go, buses are a very viable, cheap option as well. When I lived in Southern Virginia, we drove up to DC quite a bit in the car- and it was nothing but headache after headache trying to find parking. And when you do find it, it ain't cheap and it never seems to be close to where you need to go.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Well, I was planning on visiting as much as I could in DC (Smithsonian, White House, Capitol, etc.) plus driving to see an Orioles game (against BOS on that Tuesday).

The Freedom Forum is in Arlington and I know I'll go through there, too.

katyon6th
04-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I wanna go! Can I go? Please?!

midgetonadonkey
04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
DC has a great subway system that I used to get around when I visited.

Melmart1
04-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, I was planning on visiting as much as I could in DC (Smithsonian, White House, Capitol, etc.) plus driving to see an Orioles game (against BOS on that Tuesday).

The Freedom Forum is in Arlington and I know I'll go through there, too.

Damn, you're going to Camden Yards? I hear that is an awesome place to take in a game.

If you are going to do all that, then I guess a car would be the most convenient, especially driving to Baltimore and Arlington, etc. However for the Smithsonians, White House, etc... I dunno, I would say bus it in or see if your hotel has a shuttle. It's just less headache that way.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
JB, check your PMs.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 10:33 AM
JB, check your PMs.

Back at ya.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Damn, you're going to Camden Yards? I hear that is an awesome place to take in a game.

If you are going to do all that, then I guess a car would be the most convenient, especially driving to Baltimore and Arlington, etc. However for the Smithsonians, White House, etc... I dunno, I would say bus it in or see if your hotel has a shuttle. It's just less headache that way.

I was going to try and go to a Nats game, too, but they're on the road in my vacation time there. They come back, but during my orientation time with TFF. I had thought of going on Sunday afternoon when they let us out, but I'd be too afraid to miss my flight back.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:36 AM

You've never been there, Ms. Baseball Nut?

And it's a game against the Red Sux, too? :eyebrows

Melmart1
04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
You've never been there, Ms. Baseball Nut?

And it's a game against the Red Sux, too? :eyebrows

haahaha, no! I always wanted to, but when I lived in Virginia, all my friends were into Nascar only :depressed And the Nats weren't there, I haven't lived there since 2003.

I did see the Orioles play- at Ameriquest last year. The 1st base coach kept telling us ladies behind the Rangers dugout to show him our tits, and he would give us a baseball :lol

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
So how many baseballs did you get?

Melmart1
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Not counting the Soriano foul ball that almost hit my noggin- zero!

Those bitches in front of me got them all first!

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Holding out for a glove, eh?

pache100
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
DC has a great subway system that I used to get around when I visited.

Metro is the only way to go. It's cheap and reliable. I have never gotten a rental car in DC, I wouldn't drive up there if you paid me. If you can get a hotel on or near the metro you can get close to most of the places you mentioned you wanted to see. You might want to get a car just for the day you are going to the baseball game. But, for the average stuff, the Metro will save you a ton.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:59 AM
You can drive to Camden Yards, but you can also catch the commuter rail train from DC. Spending an afternoon in the Inner Harbor prior to an O's game is very cool. Have you gotten tickets yet, JB? Maybe I'll try to take a half-day off and come with.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
You can drive to Camden Yards, but you can also catch the commuter rail train from DC. Spending an afternoon in the Inner Harbor prior to an O's game is very cool. Have you gotten tickets yet, JB? Maybe I'll try to take a half-day off and come with.

No, I was waiting to confirm my travel (which I have now done).

I'll probably look for some tickets tonight during my downtime. I'm thinking (I was wrong) Monday night's game against the BoSox (ESPN game). Or Tuesday. Or both if I don't spend a lot on tickets.

I think I saw tickets for about $30-35 total on the left field lower box close to the field. Those would be great.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I wanna go! Can I go? Please?!

Ah, what the hell. Hop aboard.

sa_butta
04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Let me know if you need some help I can look some stuff up for you. The car sounds like a good deal (depending on the size). You can probably do better on the hotel unless you really want a fancy place.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Let me know if you need some help I can look some stuff up for you. The car sounds like a good deal (depending on the size). You can probably do better on the hotel unless you really want a fancy place.

Well, I got an awesome deal on lodging, so I'm good there and if that's a good deal on the car, I think I'll go with it.

I don't need anything fancy, just something efficient and safe.

Thanks, Butta (and everybody else).

Katy, are you getting a ticket with me or just stowing away in my bags?

CosmicCowboy
04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Metro is the only way to go. It's cheap and reliable. I have never gotten a rental car in DC, I wouldn't drive up there if you paid me. If you can get a hotel on or near the metro you can get close to most of the places you mentioned you wanted to see. You might want to get a car just for the day you are going to the baseball game. But, for the average stuff, the Metro will save you a ton.

Exactly. The metro is great and goes to all the locations you mentioned except the baseball park. I am trying to remember the name of a downtown hotel I stayed at a few years ago. It was old, but clean and very cheap. Like half the price of the chain hotels and within walking distance of the smithonian and the white house.

CosmicCowboy
04-19-2006, 04:08 PM
JB...here is the hotel I was talking about. Check out the location if you know anything about DC...it is right in the middle of everything and VERY reasonably priced. If you fly into Reagan National you could easily save on the rental car by walking/metroing to all the tourist locations. And yes...driving in DC SUCKS and there is NO PLACE TO PARK.

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/