PDA

View Full Version : How frustrated can the Mavs be?

SenorSpur
04-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Now that the Spurs have clinched the West, I started thinking about this. It appears to me that the Spurs have seemingly become the 8,000 pound nemesis for the Mavs. I would say that no other team has been as frustrating for them to overcome throughout the years than San Antonio. Don't believe me, check this chronology.

2001 - Spurs the league's best record (4th time in franchise history), setting up a conference semifinals playoff series against the Mavs. Spurs take series 4-1.

2003 - Spurs and Mavs both finish the season with 60-22 records. However by virtue of their winning the regular season series between the two teams, the Spurs take the division and the top seed. Spurs go on to win the conference semifinals matchup between the two teams, 4-2.

2006 - After years of running and gunning, the Mavs borrow a page out of the Spurs playbook. They hired Avery Johnson as head coach and added former Spurs scout Joe Prunty as an assistant. Mavs change their entire philosophy and begin concentrating on defense. However, as they look across the court at their nemesis, they see some old familiar faces - former Mavs Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley, who conincidentally is still being paid by Mavs owner, Mark Cuban.

Both teams go on to post 60+ win seasons this year and wage a season-long battle for both the division title and the top seed in the conference The Spurs are on track to record a franchise record in wins and looking to defend their NBA title.

With the playoffs approaching and an almost certain semifinals matchup between Spurs and Mavs awaiting, will this be the year the Mavs finally successfully scale "Mount San Antonio" and find playoff success? Why or why not?

Count me in as one who believes the Mavs will certainly limp away with more disappointment.

Don't you love cliffhangers!

Darrin
04-18-2006, 03:13 AM
If it doesn't happen this year (and I don't think it will) they will never win with their current group.

J.T.
04-18-2006, 03:27 AM
The Mavs can't take Spurs in a 7 game series, the inevitable WCSF matchup will be a heartbreaking loss for Mavs fans. They had a great season, but they don't have what it takes to beat the Spurs in the playoffs. I hope Finley lights them up like a pinball machine and NVE hits some dagger shots. That irony would be the cherry on top for Cuban.

cs100
04-18-2006, 04:45 AM
I didn't realize that Cuban was still paying NVE.

If the Mavs actually listen to their coach, loss of HCA shouldn't make too much difference since both AJ and Pop have said that health is more important than HCA.

The Spurs don't play the head games or let the media affect their focus and determination. We have yet to see if the Mavs allow the head games to affect their play. I think it will. :huh

Pandaemonaeon
04-18-2006, 04:47 AM
I didn't realize that Cuban was still paying NVE.

He's not; maybe he was talking about Finley, but $5-million/year isn't that much.

kalikot_boy_kr
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
:lol 100% frutrated

genghisrex
04-18-2006, 07:40 AM
He's not; maybe he was talking about Finley, but $5-million/year isn't that much.
For the next 10 years is, billionaire or not.

TDMVPDPOY
04-18-2006, 08:00 AM
um they are brokeback frustrated

rascy13
04-18-2006, 09:33 AM
The Mavs can't take Spurs in a 7 game series, the inevitable WCSF matchup will be a heartbreaking loss for Mavs fans. They had a great season, but they don't have what it takes to beat the Spurs in the playoffs. I hope Finley lights them up like a pinball machine and NVE hits some dagger shots. That irony would be the cherry on top for Cuban.

Agreed.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 09:52 AM
:pctoss :depressed :hang :bang :shootme

Solid D
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
If only Roy Tarpley....

:fro

pache100
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM

The frustration has already started. :lol

1Parker1
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM

:lol If I were a Mavs fan, I'd hate the Spurs too...

kalikot_boy_kr
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
:clap congratzz to :frustrated fan: hahahahaha!

JamStone
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
If the Mavs and Spurs meet in the second round, which seems likely, I think the Mavs have a 50/50 shot at winning the series.

If the Mavs can win the series this year, then all the frustration is forgotten. They will be exponentially more frustrated if they lose to the Spurs again. Right now, they still have a chance to get to the NBA finals, even though it's much harder without HCA against the Spurs.

DDS4
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
If the Mavs and Spurs meet in the second round, which seems likely, I think the Mavs have a 50/50 shot at winning the series.

If the Mavs can win the series this year, then all the frustration is forgotten. They will be exponentially more frustrated if they lose to the Spurs again. Right now, they still have a chance to get to the NBA finals, even though it's much harder without HCA against the Spurs.

I'd say it's only a 50/50 shot if Dirk shoots "lights out" and Devin Harris plays.

Trainwreck2100
04-18-2006, 11:42 AM
2003 - Spurs and Mavs both finish the season with 60-22 records. However by virtue of their winning the regular season series between the two teams, the Spurs take the division and the top seed. Spurs go on to win the conference semifinals matchup between the two teams, 4-2.

They didn't win the season series, they had the division tiebreaker

conqueso
04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Hate to nit-pick, but...

...2003 - Spurs and Mavs both finish the season with 60-22 records. However by virtue of their winning the regular season series between the two teams, the Spurs take the division and the top seed. Spurs go on to win the conference semifinals matchup between the two teams, 4-2.

In 2003, Spurs and Mavs split the season series. Spurs owned the tie-breaker based on superior division record. Remember that last game of the season against Dallas, where Duncan and Jackson both sat out and the Mavs trounced the Spurs? Pop yanked them from the starting line-up because it was a meaningless game. Dallas fans should be grateful for that gift, since it gave the Mavs their first 60-win season in franchise history. And they met up in the Western Conference Finals, not the semis.

Anyway, I have confidence in the Spurs and think they'll take the series against the Mavs, but to play Devil's advocate for a minute, Lakers fans were saying the same exact thing about the Spurs in '03. Shaq, Kobe and Phil dominated the Spurs two straight years in the playoffs, humiliating them in the Conference Finals in '01 and shutting down the MVP in '02. The Spurs, desperate for post-season success to validate the asterisk title, had a huge psychological monkey on their backs and were considered the underdogs against the three-time defending champs.

But just like Tolstoy said, the tide always turns. David always ends up slaying Goliath. Eventually, the Mavs will figure the Spurs out, or the Spurs will get old, or Dirk will dig down deep and actually play with fire and determination in the playoffs. It's bound to happen some time. Just not this year....

boutons_
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
"Pop yanked them from the starting line-up because it was a meaningless game."

both of them had some ankle soreness, is why they were selected to sit out.

v2000
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
In 2003, Spurs and Mavs split the season series. Spurs owned the tie-breaker based on superior division record.

Wrong again.

the Spurs had the better Conference record, but the Mavs had the better divisional record. back then, Conference record for some reason won the division, which made no sense. They finally changed it this year to favor divisional record first, IF both teams are in the same division.

SenorSpur
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Hate to nit-pick, but...

In 2003, Spurs and Mavs split the season series. Spurs owned the tie-breaker based on superior division record. Remember that last game of the season against Dallas, where Duncan and Jackson both sat out and the Mavs trounced the Spurs? Pop yanked them from the starting line-up because it was a meaningless game. Dallas fans should be grateful for that gift, since it gave the Mavs their first 60-win season in franchise history. And they met up in the Western Conference Finals, not the semis.

Anyway, I have confidence in the Spurs and think they'll take the series against the Mavs, but to play Devil's advocate for a minute, Lakers fans were saying the same exact thing about the Spurs in '03. Shaq, Kobe and Phil dominated the Spurs two straight years in the playoffs, humiliating them in the Conference Finals in '01 and shutting down the MVP in '02. The Spurs, desperate for post-season success to validate the asterisk title, had a huge psychological monkey on their backs and were considered the underdogs against the three-time defending champs.

But just like Tolstoy said, the tide always turns. David always ends up slaying Goliath. Eventually, the Mavs will figure the Spurs out, or the Spurs will get old, or Dirk will dig down deep and actually play with fire and determination in the playoffs. It's bound to happen some time. Just not this year....

I don't see it happening at all during the Duncan era.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Hate to nit-pick, but...

In 2003, Spurs and Mavs split the season series. Spurs owned the tie-breaker based on superior division record.
As long as we're nitpicking, Spurs actually won the tiebreaker because of their superior conference record, as that was the second tiebreaker at the time, not division record. In fact, they had a worse division record than the Mavs which led Cuban to complain about the tiebreaking system, and as a result the league changed the tiebreaker rules to make division record the second tiebreaker.

Edit: Damn, someone beat me to it. :)

Jimcs50
04-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Hate to nit-pick, but...

In 2003, Spurs and Mavs split the season series. Spurs owned the tie-breaker based on superior division record. Remember that last game of the season against Dallas, where Duncan and Jackson both sat out and the Mavs trounced the Spurs? Pop yanked them from the starting line-up because it was a meaningless game. .

I went to that game and was pissed at Pop for allowing me to spend good money and drive almost 400 miles and have to endure such a pathetic display of bball.

Extra Stout
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't see it happening at all during the Duncan era.
I see it happening next year.

SenorSpur
04-18-2006, 12:23 PM

As long as we're nitpicking, Spurs actually won the tiebreaker because of their superior conference record, as that was the second tiebreaker at the time, not division record. In fact, they had a worse division record than the Mavs which led Cuban to complain about the tiebreaking system, and as a result the league changed the tiebreaker rules to make division record the second tiebreaker.

Edit: Damn, someone beat me to it. :)

Thanks to both of you for the correction.

jman3000
04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
"Pop yanked them from the starting line-up because it was a meaningless game."

both of them had some ankle soreness, is why they were selected to sit out.

If my memory serves me right, Stephen Jackson actually did have some slight ankle soreness, but I remember the news having a good time w/ Tim's injury. The Spurs had officially listed it as some rare leg disorder, that's when Tim showed up to practice in crutches to mess around. It was more a "sit the slightly injured guy and the MVP out and let the guys further down the bench get some run" type of thing.

101A
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
If anybody thinks it is by accident the Spurs have consistently held the correct tiebreaker, they don't understand Pop very well.

spurofthemoment
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
:lol If I were a Mavs fan, I'd hate the Spurs too...
what do the Mavericks know about pressure

ponky
04-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Why would we be frustrated? I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the Spurs play my Mavs in the second round, whatever the outcome it should be a great series and I will be at every single game.

Darrin
04-18-2006, 03:38 PM

This is where your journey is exciting: Imagine it happening. Imagine the Spurs lose in game six at American Airlines, maybe the Spurs blow a series lead. There's Dirk hugging Stackhouse. AJ storms the court as the buzzer sounds. And when no one expected it, when everyone wants to see Spurs-Pistons, you have ruined it all.

The Spurs did it in 2003. It was supposed to be Kings-Lakers all over again. And there was Kobe, shedding tears on the bench. Robert Horry's last big shot as a Laker turned out to be his first big shot for the Spurs. And guess what? They won a championship. They had beat the Lakers. Do you think they were intimidated by the Mavs and Nets? Hell no.

That's what you get to look forward to. Because no one expects the Mavs to win, except maybe you. All the pressure is off. Like a team winning when they are 8-1 underdogs in the NBA Finals. And it's like you knew a secret the rest of the world ignored.

That's what you have to look forward to. It's not like I care what team the Pistons beat in the Finals. :)

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
This is where your journey is exciting: Imagine it happening. Imagine the Spurs lose in game six at American Airlines, maybe the Spurs blow a series lead.

All that's happened to the Spurs before. The end result was still the same. And the Mavericks nor the Pistons were happy.

It's not like I care what team the Pistons beat in the Finals. :)

:lol

milkyway21
04-18-2006, 09:44 PM

:owned.

calm down mavsfan I'm looking forward to a big Spurs 2nd rnd series against your Mavs. :D

BTW, I want to hear from mouse too!

:loser

pking
04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
If I were a Mavs fan, I'd hate the Spurs too...

I'm a big Mavs fan. I don't hate the Spurs at all. I respect the team, I think they're fantastic. It cracks me up when I come on here after SA losses and there's tons of people so down on the team --- you're the defending world champs. Losses here and there are just going to happen.

At first I was a little shocked to see how pretty much everyone on here assumes that there's no way the Mavs can take a series; Mavs can't do jack against your team, etc..etc. Ohh well, I kinda like it that way. Not that I'm saying Dallas is gonna win the series, but as an NBA fan you'd think people would realize that anything is possible.

JHoLove
04-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes I am also a Mavs fan who does not hate the Spurs. It is quite frustrating, but I think frustration just leads to an even better playoff series.

Sense
04-18-2006, 11:08 PM

It is if you're paying him to win with another team :lol

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
To the extent that Mavs fans are frustrated, they're feeling the same sort of frustration that Spurs fans felt in the mid-to-late 90's with respect to the Jazz. The Jazz were the behemoth that stood in the way of the Spurs' dreams for most of David Robinson's career. I still think that the single most important regular season game in the history of the San Antonio Spurs was a win at Utah towards the end of the 1999 season. In a way, that era was mildly incomplete because the Spurs never got a chance to put the Stockton/Malone Jazz out of the playoffs.

I suspect that AJ will use that analogy in some ways if the teams meet in the WCSF.

Maybe the Mavs will do what the Spurs never could; perhaps they'll come up big in a playoff series and invert the balance of power. All of that remains to be seen. If that series comes to pass, it's going to be a war, precisely because the teams are rivals. I'm obviously hoping the Mavs and their fans will continue to feel the frustration, but I've been there before and I'm cognizant of the fact that Dallas is quite capable of redeeming itself and ending that frustration this year.

SenorSpur
04-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes I am also a Mavs fan who does not hate the Spurs. It is quite frustrating, but I think frustration just leads to an even better playoff series.

I feel your pain. After all, the Fakers were the Spurs nemesis and chief rival to their crown for many years. Until such time as when the dynasty crumbled, the championship road always went through L.A.

gameFACE
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Interesting, FWD. I kind of feel that the Spurs are to the Mavs right now what the Lakers were to the Spurs in '01 and '02 (maybe '04, too). Still in their heads. The competition between the Spurs and Mavs is more even but in the end it's the same - playoff heartbreak for the Mavs.

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Interesting, FWD. I kind of feel that the Spurs are to the Mavs right now what the Lakers were to the Spurs in '01 and '02 (maybe '04, too). Still in their heads. The competition between the Spurs and Mavs is more even but in the end it's the same - playoff heartbreak for the Mavs.

I didn't go with the Laker analogy because some part of the Spurs team that won in 2003 had gotten past the Lakers in the not-so-distant past (1999).

gameFACE
04-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I didn't go with the Laker analogy because some part of the Spurs team that won in 2003 had gotten past the Lakers in the not-so-distant past (1999).
Yeah, very true. I guess I was also thinking that Tim is the only player left from the '99 team and Dirk is the only player left from previous seasons aside from the championship. That Spurs/Jazz era was a killer, though.

cs100
04-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I remember one year when we beat Dallas, Cuban said that he couldn't wait until DRob decided to retire so dallas could finally have a change to beat the Spurs. Little did he realized that Duncan would continue that tradition. :D

I don't think the playoffs will be a walk in the park like many believe. But I do believe that the Spurs will end up in the finals.