PDA

View Full Version : Spurs in reality, won NBA title last night!

Rummpd
04-18-2006, 07:43 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17008.shtml

Regards,

PDR

Marklar MM
04-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Right. I can let this article go because you are a Spurs fan.

101A
04-18-2006, 07:52 AM
There has never been any question

leemajors
04-18-2006, 07:54 AM

Pistons < Spurs
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Cough........BULLSHIT.......Cough

:blah

Extra Stout
04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Posting it on a website doesn't make it objective.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
With all due respect for your optimism, I think you might want to dial down the homerism a bit. Spurs still have a LOOONG way to go before you can declare this title won.

admack35
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Nice article, full of opinions. I feel like the Pistons & the Spurs matchup somewhat evenly, the x-factor being the drive of the Pistons right now seem unstoppable.

Two reasons why I think the Pistons will win this contest are they have a much better offense this year, & homecourt advantage.

genghisrex
04-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand the premise of the article. Based on the "analysis" it looks like the Spurs were going to win it all regardless of seeding. If I were to ask you, would the Spurs a.) have lost in the first round against Memphis, or b.) have lost in the second round without homecourt advantage against Dallas, would your answer have been yes to either question? Based on the slant of this article and those before it, I would guess not.

To be honest, I'd answer no to both questions too, but that pretty much precludes the conclusion that the Spurs "won the NBA title last night."

pache100
04-18-2006, 08:54 AM
To be honest, I'd answer no to both questions too, but that pretty much precludes the conclusion that the Spurs "won the NBA title last night."

I agree. There is a long, long way to go before Timmy does any more trophy-kissing or Nicky Van and Fin get their first rings. Long way. Many people to go through. It isn't going to be easy.

lebomb
04-18-2006, 09:02 AM
What a dumbass. The playoff have not even started.......and the games have yet to be played.

Spurminator
04-18-2006, 09:08 AM
I'd like to congratulate the Utah Jazz on their great season, finishing as the runners-up to the NBA Championship.

rascy13
04-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Cough........BULLSHIT.......Cough

:blah

Nice picture, very realistic.

LilMissSPURfect
04-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Let's get the party started......already!

SpursWoman
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I'd like to congratulate the Utah Jazz on their great season, finishing as the runners-up to the NBA Championship.

:lol

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 09:48 AM
It's already over. Nothing can stop the spurs. It is impossible for any player of theirs to get hurt and Duncan will be back to MVP level come playoff time.

1Parker1
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM

:lol Sorry Rummpd, but you're article is a little homeristic and not true to "reality" Plenty of things can happen in the post season...need I remind you of .04? Spurs have not won anything yet, other than the Best WC record and another Division Title. They have good chance to win it again though :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Well this is a huge load off my mind. Now I won't have to waste my time watching the games since it's been decided. Perhaps I'll start volunteering or plant a vegetable garden.

Seriously though, it's a very well written piece and a good read.

Horry For 3!
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
4) Bruce Bowen is the real Defensive Player of the Year – regardless of who gets the award. End of story. Bowen is not perfect as his dumb kick on Ray Allen showed recently, but no one works harder in the game. Also no one, stays with his man and fights through screens in the league better than him.

He is also one of the top three point shooters in the game and has improved his former albatross, a Shaquille O’Neal like free throw shooting touch.

When push comes to shove no team in the league (other than the Kings arguebly with Artest) has a player as good to match up on a pretty consistent basis with anyone from Mike Bibby to Shaun Marion to Dywane Wade to Kobe Bryant.

He will not stop them all every night but they will have to work hard.
:tu

rayray2k8
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Im glad someone caught that :lol
But then again, didnt the Jazz sweep the season series with Detriot? :wow ;)

JamStone
04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Couple of things:

1. LeBron is spelled with an "e" not an "a." He is the most popular player in the league. Just for future reference.

2. Bruce Bowen is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league, and he's simply a workhorse on the defensive end. But, saying Dwyane Wade is less likely to go off in a series like Jordan against the Spurs because of Bruce ... well, I'm not so sure. In the two regular season meetings, Wade averaged 33.5 ppg and shot 45% from the field. Now, 45% is slightly below his average, but against Bruce Bowen, that's still pretty good for a shooting guard. He also had 10 assists in one of those meetings, although he had a poor assist game in the other. I just think Wade is special enough to explode in a playoff series against anyone. Not that that means the Heat will win. But, if Wade has it going, Bruce ain't gonna stop him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way Doc, but you really need to show a little more objectivity in your articles. This is such a homeristic piece, and a comical one at that.

pache100
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
speleed

????? Interesting in a criticism of someone else's spelling.

JamStone
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
good catch, I'll change it.

but, my post is not a published article on a national website.

CubanMustGo
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
One thirty-point blowout of a dispirited, AK47-less Jazz team does not a champion make ... sorry, Doc.

Marklar MM
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Woah. I was looking at NBA.com. The Pistons are the only team with a winning record when opponents score 100+(12-8). The Spurs are (2-9). Don't think the Spurs want opponents to score 100 in the playoffs.

nkdlunch
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Not nearly enough credit given to the Pistons and forgot completely about HOME COURT ADVANTAGE!!!!

:rolleyes

Also why ride the Heat's jock??? the nets have a better chance and Detroit will have EASIER road than Spurs. Damn so many crazy statements in that article.

atxrocker
04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
where is the link to the article dismissing next years playoffs and announcing the 07 champs? shouldn't that be out already?

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I hate to be offensive, but I must say that for someone who purports to be a basketball columnist, this is among the most poorly-reasoned opinion pieces I've ever read.

Several glaring issues from my standpoint:

3) Meanwhile, Tony Parker should be in more MVP discussions. He saved the Spurs great regular season when others were hurt or struggling.

Parker will shoot over 50% from the field and will be a leader in points in the paint. One of the top three guards in the league in quickness and pure speed - no one (except perhaps Iverson) can get to the hole as well in the league thru narrow crevices.

Parker's improved jumper from 10-15 feet plus this quickness is changing defensive schemes and giving opposition coaches nightmares.

Parker's improvement on the offensive end has been the story of the season, but it leads to unanswered questions, both of which are significant to the Spurs chances in the playoffs. First is the obvious: whether Parker can sustain his offensive improvement into the second season, where teams are going to focus on taking away what he does best. A couple of times this year -- the games that the Mavericks and Lakers won in San Antonio immediately come to mind -- teams have taken away the lane and denied Tony's penetration. Can he still be effective in a playoff atmosphere without that weapon being readily available to him? More important, though, is whether Tony's offensive outbursts detract from his defensive effort. Parker will have an immediate test in Round 1 against Bibby. Bibby has absolutely torched Parker all season long. There are reasons for that -- reasons that can be explained better elsewhere -- but I have come to the conclusion that Parker's defensive deficiencies this season have routinely stressed the Spurs' defensive schemes and made other mistakes in areas like weak-side rotations and doubles far more glaring than they were in past seasons.

4) Bruce Bowen is the real Defensive Player of the Year – regardless of who gets the award. End of story. Bowen is not perfect as his dumb kick on Ray Allen showed recently, but no one works harder in the game. Also no one, stays with his man and fights through screens in the league better than him.

He is also one of the top three point shooters in the game and has improved his former albatross, a Shaquille O’Neal like free throw shooting touch.

When push comes to shove no team in the league (other than the Kings arguebly with Artest) has a player as good to match up on a pretty consistent basis with anyone from Mike Bibby to Shaun Marion to Dywane Wade to Kobe Bryant.

I agree with the sentiment about Bowen. I don't think, however, that the Spurs can expect to play Parker and put Bowen on Bibby in a series against Sacramento and expect to last very long in that scheme. Parker certainly cannot be called upon to defend Bonzi Wells or Ron Artest for very long; but the Spurs would have to do that to play Bowen on Bibby. Bonzi would have a field day on the block against a guy like Parker and Artest would eat Tony alive (perhaps literally).

More than any of that, the Spurs have been relatively porous on defense of late -- they have conceded an alarming number of layups and dunks on penetration that has not been seriously contested either on the bounce or at the rim. The mistakes in rotation compound the problem, because teams have used ball movement to move the defense and create mismatches and openings. I'd be unconcerned if it had been an isolated occurrence, but Sacramento, Dallas, Orlando, and even Utah have all had some success moving the ball and breaking down the defense. Bowen can be the best perimeter defender of all time, but if his teammates aren't where they're supposed to be, the Spurs are going to really struggle to limit teams' offensive production, particularly as a series goes along.

1) The Pistons may after all is said an done now face a harder road in the East through Miami and perhaps either the Nets or Cavaliers, but should win the East and are the only team that can beat a healthy and motivated Spurs in a seven series.

Detroit cannot possibly face both Miami and New Jersey in the coming playoffs. If the Pistons play the Heat, they won't play New Jersey -- in fact, because Miami and NJ are the #2 and #3 seeds, Detroit couldn't face either until the ECF, and then, obviously, it could only face one of those teams.

The notion that Detroit faces a rigorous road to the Finals is a fairly questionable assumption. Chicago is a fiesty bunch, but they lack the players to truly compete with Detroit in a playoff series. If Indy falls to 8 somehow, they bring a rival's attitude to Detroit, but lack the personnel to do much about it. In Round 2, Detroit gets Cleveland or some other around .500 team that will have no chance to do any harm. After two warm-ups, the Pistons get either Miami or New Jersey. I can see that there might be a chance that one of those teams could stress the Pistons a bit, but either is likely to be down 0-2 in short order in the ECF and playing out of the hole from that point forward.

The Pistons are motivated, deeper than expected, and blessed by health.

They can give the Spurs all they can handle.

I am going with the Spurs simply because Duncan has been moving very well the last two weeks most nights. This would make Rasheed Wallace’s task of trying to control him (and he is the best defender on Duncan in the league) tougher.

Remember also that Duncan almost outrebounded and outscored both Ben Wallace and R. Wallace last year in the finals on a very bad ankle. Duncan is still that good and if his planar fasciitis stays in check will also distribute to cutting Spurs for easy baskets and help with a revived Nazr Mohammed control the defensive boards (the biggest problem in the two regular season games).

I'm not sure that you've been watching Nazr's game very closely of late. Nazr has been nothing other than a defensive liability who appears unconcerned with playing his role and doing the little things that matter. I'm hard pressed to believe that Nazr will help "control the defensive boards" when the numbers show that in April, 2006, Nazr has as many personal fouls as he does defensive rebounds (22/22). He's gathered a grand total of 40 rebounds in April (4.44/gm) and 18 of those are offensive. Meanwhile he's shot a blistering .395 from the floor (15-38) in April and has 12 turnovers to go along with his 15 field goals. Unless you're convinced that Nazr has some playoff switch to flip, I don't see how anyone can think he's going to be the sort of difference maker he's alleged to be here.

The Mavericks. In reality no one else has a chance besides the upstart Mavericks to upset the Spurs.

If no one else has a chance, then why are the Mavs listed behind the Heat and Pistons? More to the point, do you really think that Detroit has no chance to beat the Spurs? That would be a pretty remarkable assertion. I suppose there may be a finesse available here, since Detroit would not be upsetting the Spurs if they beat them. I'm discerning from the column, however, that the Spurs should be the favorites, so I'm skeptical about the idea that the Mavericks would somehow be the only team in the association with a chance to beat San Antonio.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Congrats to the 05-06 spurs. I knew they would win it.

pache100
04-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Congrats to the 05-06 spurs. I knew they would win it.

I think we got your sarcasm the first time. I know I did. :rolleyes

ponky
04-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for this bit of humor, it was hard to take this guy legitimately when he can't even spell the word "legitimately." It's great to see how over confident people have become considering that there was so much moaning and groaning not less than two weeks ago. This is a huge advantage for other teams, hopefully the Spurs will be as confident as that Lakers team that went up against the Pistons and lost in the Finals.

ponky
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't see that much over-confidence here. For the most part, people have been very realistic and stated (over and over, I might add) that it's a long way to the finals and there are no guarantees for anyone, especially the Spurs. I'm not sure you're reading, except selectively. Whatever. Thanks for the good wishes, though (that is sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell).

I have noticed a division between the Spurs fans on this board, those who don't see reality and are overly confident and those who see the Spurs with a good chance of winning but with a hard road ahead filled with no guarantees. However lately, I've seen much more of the former than the latter because of the Spurs' decent play since the Mavs beat them on the 7th. These fans don't even take into account that guys like Kirilenko and KG didn't even play in those games and many times the best players weren't even putting up a fight against the Spurs because they had little to play for this late in the season. As for the good wishes, I don't recall having given them so your sarcasm doesn't really work, especially if you have to point it out.

EDIT: Way to delete your post.

SpursWoman
04-18-2006, 03:16 PM
I didn't realize being a fan required someone to be completely serious, realistic and have no bloated enthusiasm about their team's chances.

That being the case, I have no explaination for the existance of Knicks fans, given their current situation of being mired in futility.

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I have noticed a division between the Spurs fans on this board, those who don't see reality and are overly confident and those who see the Spurs with a good chance of winning but with a hard road ahead filled with no guarantees. However lately, I've seen much more of the former than the latter because of the Spurs' decent play since the Mavs beat them on the 7th. These fans don't even take into account that guys like Kirilenko and KG didn't even play in those games and many times the best players weren't even putting up a fight against the Spurs because they had little to play for this late in the season. As for the good wishes, I don't recall having given them so your sarcasm doesn't really work, especially if you have to point it out.

EDIT: Way to delete your post.

Sorry, I deleted it because I thought it made me sound like a jerk and I didn't mean to come off that way. I was rethinking and was about to repost. Never mind.

You missed my point about the good wishes...
hopefully the Spurs will be as confident as that Lakers team that went up against the Pistons and lost in the Finals.

That sounds to me like you are hoping the Spurs will fail (duh), thus the sarcasm about "good wishes".

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:18 PM
That being the case, I have no explaination for the existance of Knicks fans, given their current situation of being mired in futility.

:rollin Seriously...poor Malik... :madrun

samikeyp
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I wish that were the case. There are some fellas in D-Town who would have something to say about that. While I agree that the win was big last night, (big because that is exactly what you are supposed to do to a team like Utah and the Spurs haven't always done that this season) the playoffs are going to be tough. I still think the Spurs will win the title but to say its a foregone conclusion, IMO, is incorrect and flat out ludicrous.

Darrin
04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
The train will stop at the end of the track
When the journey's over, there's no turning back
The rear view mirror reflecting the past
Of memories precious that hopefully last

Perhaps we'll be wiser, when we've reached this location
When our ride's nearly over, when we're in our last station
The train will stop at the end of the track
When the journey's over, there's no turning back

The End of the Track by Stanley Cooper.

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Um...ok.

Darrin
04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Um...ok.

Translation: There's a long way to go (and try to ignore the poem is about death).

Pistons < Spurs
04-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I have noticed a division between the Spurs fans on this board, those who don't see reality and are overly confident and those who see the Spurs with a good chance of winning but with a hard road ahead filled with no guarantees. However lately, I've seen much more of the former than the latter because of the Spurs' decent play since the Mavs beat them on the 7th. These fans don't even take into account that guys like Kirilenko and KG didn't even play in those games and many times the best players weren't even putting up a fight against the Spurs because they had little to play for this late in the season.

There will always be a division of opinions between any fan base of any team. For the most part, I find the large majority of Spur fans do have a firm grip on reality when it comes to their expectations for their team.

That's one of the reasons why I hang out here. Compared to other team forums that I've been on, the Spur fans have a much better appreciation for the journey. They tend to have a better sense of respect for their opponents.

You will always have the extreme people on both sides of the fence. That's the way life is.

As you can see by the responses to the OP's article, most people are chiding him for be too much of a Homer, and too cocky in his opinion. He does not represent the majority.

I think it's very easy to misinterpret a fans level of "confidence", and translate it into cockiness. Most Spur fans (except for recent additions to the bandwagon) understand how long and streneous the road to the Finals is, as they've been down that road time and time again. They know there are no guarantees.

And as for recent excitement and confidence, I think it has alot more to do seeing "how" they are playing as opposed to "who" they are playing. I see Spur fans getting more encouraged and confident due to the play of Duncan as opposed to the margain of victory vs mediocre competition. Duncan is coming alive. He is peaking right when they need him to, and it is a huge sign of encouragement to the fans.

People here (Spur fans) should be confident. They are going to be the favorite out of the West. There is a reason for that. They have the players. They have the experience. They have the HCA.

You'll always have a few who react to the extreme. but that doesn't represent the majority.

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Translation: There's a long way to go (and try to ignore the poem is about death).

There's a long way to go...

I've said that about 10 times today.

pache100
04-18-2006, 03:46 PM
That's one of the reasons why I hang out here. Compared to other team forums that I've been on, the Spur fans have a much better appreciation for the journey. They tend to have a better sense of respect for their opponents.

Thank you! That's so refreshing. The feeling is mutual, BTW.

Darrin
04-18-2006, 04:11 PM
There's a long way to go...

I've said that about 10 times today.

Can you feel the synergy? :tu

Darrin
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Don't think the Spurs want opponents to score 100 in the playoffs.

Don't worry. With that defense, they won't.

xcoriate
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
NB: Shawn Marion, LeBron James

That was as people have said extremely homeristic, but the spelling mistakes are, well unforgivable. James and Marion are both top 10 players this season you can't go misspelling their names.

atxrocker
04-18-2006, 04:47 PM
^Marion is a top 10 player?

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, listen up: there's a long way to go.

SpursWoman
04-18-2006, 05:09 PM

You fucking homer. :flipoff

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 05:11 PM
You fucking homer. :flipoff

I thought you liked things that were long. :depressed

Darrin
04-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Did you hear? There's a long way to go.

timvp
04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
YEAY WE WIN :elephant :elephant

1Parker1
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM

:lol I think that cowboy_me_kerr person hijacked Timvp's account.

Rick Von Braun
04-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Please save this article when the Spurs lose a playoff game and people start jumping off the cliff

:lmao

Darrin
04-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Three posts into this page and no one has mentioned how long the road is. I have to do everything around here.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
The road is long, with many a winding turn.

Darrin
04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Much better :lol

GrandeDavid
04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I think it'll be interesting for the fact that during the Spurs' first three championship campaigns, they had their toughest battles during conference playoff play. Now they will go into the Finals, assuming they and Detroit make it that far, as underdogs. I think they can beat the Pistons, no doubt, but the Pistons are not only a great, great team, but they are gonna be hungry. Not only did they get their belt taken last year, but they'll get a chance to get it back from the takers...and they'll have homecourt. Yes, this is a "duh" take for Spurs fans, but I wouldn't look past Detroit for a second.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I think it'll be interesting for the fact that during the Spurs' first three championship campaigns, they had their toughest battles during conference playoff play. Now they will go into the Finals, assuming they and Detroit make it that far, as underdogs. I think they can beat the Pistons, no doubt, but the Pistons are not only a great, great team, but they are gonna be hungry. Not only did they get their belt taken last year, but they'll get a chance to get it back from the takers...and they'll have homecourt. Yes, this is a "duh" take for Spurs fans, but I wouldn't look past Detroit for a second.
You're not really saying that the Spurs toughest battle last year was NOT the Finals, are you?

exstatic
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Worst.

Thread.

Ever.

I'm surprised at you, P-Diddy.

The Sixteen games that the champion is required to win will take almost two months, and if it IS us, no one will remember a minor game against Utah in April.

samikeyp
04-18-2006, 09:48 PM
so then....the road is long?

exstatic
04-18-2006, 09:50 PM
so then....the road is long?
..with many a winding turn...

jochhejaam
04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
...and the Spurs are quietly building momentum...
That would be 4 wins in the last 7 games. <whistles> Scary! :lol

SpursWoman
04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I thought you liked things that were long. :depressed

I do ... just not the long, winding ones that give me heartburn. :oops :lol

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
That would be 4 wins in the last 7 games. <whistles> Scary! :lol
It should be. All they have to do is continue that x 4.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I do ... just not the long, winding ones that give me heartburn. :oops :lol
I can never win these. :lol

T Park
04-18-2006, 10:43 PM
poor Shoog....

Darrin
04-19-2006, 02:14 AM
PSA: Road...Long...

cs100
04-19-2006, 03:02 AM
WOW. There are soooooooooooo many half empty glasses in this thread and forum. What happened to "I believe" that everyone keeps talking about?

I think this is a great article. There has been so much hype and syrupy articles about the Suns, Pistons, Mavs, that I think the Spurs deserve recognition for their accomplishments. We have tied the franchise best record. We have the second best record in the league. None of our players are seriously hurt. Our summer pickups are starting to contribute regularly. Tim shows no sign of the PF bothering him. Tony is sinking his jumpers and free throws. Manu is showing explosiveness with his dunking and drives to the hoop. NVE is making some very good passes and even connecting on shots. Yea we haven't had the best chemistry yet. Yea, our defense needs work. We are still the 2nd best team in the league in FG% allowed. We are 3rd in points allowed. Both are better than Detroit and Dallas and SAC.

Haven't you guys been clammoring about SPAM (Spurs Peak after March)? Isn't that what the Spurs are doing? Peaking after March? These last two games have given us an exaggerated look at how well the Spurs are doing. These are good signs. Even the loss to the Magic was good because Duncan's performance was awesome.

Now someone writes about this progress and all you can do is criticize? I just don't understand it. Maybe because I see a glass half full and some of you can only see it as half empty. Are we perfect? NO. Can we get better? YES.

Are we better than we were 6 months ago? 3 months ago? last month? I have seen a steady improvement in all the players up to this point. If Tim had not been sick with the flu, perhaps others would have noticed the upswing.

The writer talks about building momentum for the playoffs and his predictions on the team's performance. I think he is right on the money in most of his points. He doesn't say that the Spurs will roll through the playoffs. He says that the progress made, the veteran experience and leadership, the coaching advantage will all help.

So he predicts the Spurs will end up as the champions again. So what? That is nothing we haven't heard before. Actually, most sports writers at the beginning of the year picked the Spurs to repeat.

Sorry about the soapbox, but the negativity (not realism) on this board can use an influx of positive thinking.

Thank you. If I offended anyone with my rant, I apologize in advance.

Melmart1
04-19-2006, 03:09 AM
People can believe and not be complete homers at the same time.

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2006, 03:31 AM
wake me up b4 u go go

cs100
04-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Can ANYONE clearly define what a HOMER is?

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2006, 04:01 AM
homer simpson wannab

SpursWoman
04-19-2006, 06:00 AM

:lmao

leemajors
04-19-2006, 07:48 AM

someone who is naive enough to think an nba championship was won in april.

Extra Stout
04-19-2006, 07:52 AM

Non-homer: "The Spurs have a good chance."

Homer: "The Spurs have won the title."

SpursWoman
04-19-2006, 08:05 AM

I don't know...that may be too generous. To many, it appears, that the only way to not be *insulted* as being a "homer" would be something like:

Non-homer: "The Spurs don't have a chance. The Pistons smoked them twice like 3-4 months ago and will have HCA...which will pretty much be a moot point, considering the Mavericks now play a little defense, Devin Harris is the MVP, Van Horn is DPOY, and Avery is COY...so they aren't getting past them in the semi's anyway."

:fro

pache100
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Three posts into this page and no one has mentioned how long the road is. I have to do everything around here.

Road length :bike: = 16 wins after tonight. :flag:

Darrin
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Road length = 16 wins after tonight.

Road Length = 50 days or so.

pache100
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
..with many a winding turn...

That leads us to who knows where...

(I know where)

Marklar MM
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Follow the yellow brick. Follow the yellow brick road. Follow follow follow follow follow the yellow brick road.

pache100
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Follow the yellow brick. Follow the yellow brick road. Follow follow follow follow follow the yellow brick road.

When are you gonna come down
When are you going to land...
You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you...
So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl...
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road...
What do you think you'll do then
I bet that'll shoot down your plane
It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
To set you on your feet again...
Maybe you'll get a replacement
There's plenty like me to be found
Mongrels who ain't got a penny
Sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground

(just selected/appropriate lines...not the whole song)

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
hey whats teh slogan for this years playoffs btw??

Soundbyte
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
On the prospect of Spurs repeating (http://www.logusz.com/~yupislyr/2/homersolution.wav)

DETROIT_PISTONS
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Im glad someone caught that :lol
But then again, didnt the Jazz sweep the season series with Detriot? :wow ;)

Yes, same as Detroit sweep the season series with SA :elephant

ShoogarBear
04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
hey whats teh slogan for this years playoffs btw??

I believe it's "There's a Long Way to Go on the Road to a Repeat Championship".

ShoogarBear
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Directions to Sequ's house.

cs100
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
WOW. There are soooooooooooo many half empty glasses in this thread and forum. What happened to "I believe" that everyone keeps talking about?

I think this is a great article. There has been so much hype and syrupy articles about the Suns, Pistons, Mavs, that I think the Spurs deserve recognition for their accomplishments. We have tied the franchise best record. We have the second best record in the league. None of our players are seriously hurt. Our summer pickups are starting to contribute regularly. Tim shows no sign of the PF bothering him. Tony is sinking his jumpers and free throws. Manu is showing explosiveness with his dunking and drives to the hoop. NVE is making some very good passes and even connecting on shots. Yea we haven't had the best chemistry yet. Yea, our defense needs work. We are still the 2nd best team in the league in FG% allowed. We are 3rd in points allowed. Both are better than Detroit and Dallas and SAC.

Haven't you guys been clammoring about SPAM (Spurs Peak after March)? Isn't that what the Spurs are doing? Peaking after March? These last two games have given us an exaggerated look at how well the Spurs are doing. These are good signs. Even the loss to the Magic was good because Duncan's performance was awesome.

Now someone writes about this progress and all you can do is criticize? I just don't understand it. Maybe because I see a glass half full and some of you can only see it as half empty. Are we perfect? NO. Can we get better? YES.

Are we better than we were 6 months ago? 3 months ago? last month? I have seen a steady improvement in all the players up to this point. If Tim had not been sick with the flu, perhaps others would have noticed the upswing.

The writer talks about building momentum for the playoffs and his predictions on the team's performance. I think he is right on the money in most of his points. He doesn't say that the Spurs will roll through the playoffs. He says that the progress made, the veteran experience and leadership, the coaching advantage will all help.

So he predicts the Spurs will end up as the champions again. So what? That is nothing we haven't heard before. Actually, most sports writers at the beginning of the year picked the Spurs to repeat.

Sorry about the soapbox, but the negativity (not realism) on this board can use an influx of positive thinking.

Thank you. If I offended anyone with my rant, I apologize in advance.

People can believe and not be complete homers at the same time.

wake me up b4 u go go

homer simpson wannab

someone who is naive enough to think an nba championship was won in april.

Homer: "The Spurs have won the title."

I don't know...that may be too generous. To many, it appears, that the only way to not be *insulted* as being a "homer" would be something like:
Non-homer: "The Spurs don't have a chance. The Pistons smoked them twice like 3-4 months ago and will have HCA...which will pretty much be a moot point, considering the Mavericks now play a little defense, Devin Harris is the MVP, Van Horn is DPOY, and Avery is COY...so they aren't getting past them in the semi's anyway."
:fro

Well, now I understand how this forum works. Trying to have an honest discussion about anything only results in quips, sarcasm and laughter.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Melmart1
04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, now I understand how this forum works. Trying to have an honest discussion about anything only results in quips, sarcasm and laughter.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Oh, grow some skin! :rolleyes

Borosai
04-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Fore!!!