PDA

View Full Version : NBA is Screwed!!!!!

2centsworth
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Clipper vs Grizzlies loser is the winner. Winner gets to play Dallas on the road with San Antonio in the 2nd round. While the loser gets home court in the 1st round and will avoid the champs in the 2nd round.

Do you miss shots on purpose? If I were the coach I would make sure my team didn't score a point.

Marklar MM
04-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Well think about the East. You got Milwaukee, Indiana and Chicago battling over who wants Detroit, Miami, and Jersey.

JamStone
04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Difference in the East, those teams are trying to WIN their games so they can play Cleveland and avoid Detroit or Miami.

2centsworth
04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Well think about the East. You got Milwaukee, Indiana and Chicago battling over who wants Detroit, Miami, and Jersey.
stuff like that happens every year, but have you ever heard of a team having to lose to get home court advantage?

Marklar MM
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Difference in the East, those teams are trying to WIN their games so they can play Cleveland and avoid Detroit or Miami.

Ya. Just noticed Washington has 2 games left.

101A
04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
stuff like that happens every year, but have you ever heard of a team having to lose to get home court advantage?

Looking at the schedules, Memphis seems to be playing with a bit more pride; looks like they'll be the fortunate ones to lose home-court & play the Mavs; ridiculous, and no, I don't ever remember such a blatantly unjust scenario.

The WINNER gets the team with a SIXTEEN game lead over the team the LOSER draws.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I am loving this in that David Stern will be forced to change this stupid 3 division setup per conference.

NASpurs
04-18-2006, 01:20 PM
We should have vbookie for this game... I say the game ends 4-3 with the Clippers trying to miss a free throw, the ball bouncing off the rim, hitting a player on the head and somehow going through the net.

Extra Stout
04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Looking at the schedules, Memphis seems to be playing with a bit more pride; looks like they'll be the fortunate ones to lose home-court & play the Mavs; ridiculous, and no, I don't ever remember such a blatantly unjust scenario.

The WINNER gets the team with a SIXTEEN game lead over the team the LOSER draws.
I'm smarter than the head of the competition committee. I predicted this in October 2004.

Extra Stout
04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I am loving this in that David Stern will be forced to change this stupid 3 division setup per conference.
There will still be three divisions; the differences will be as follows:

1) Rather than being guaranteed one of the top 3 seeds, a division winner will only be guaranteed one of the top 4. Otherwise, seeding will be done by record.

2) HCA will be determined by seeding rather than by record. That way, a division winner always gets HCA in the first round.

Were that in place today, the West would be seeded as follows:

1) San Antonio
2) Dallas
3) Phoenix
4) Denver
5) Memphis
6) Los Angeles Clippers
7) Los Angeles Lakers
8) Sacramento

That would make sense.

2centsworth
04-18-2006, 01:27 PM
We should have vbookie for this game... I say the game ends 4-3 with the Clippers trying to miss a free throw, the ball bouncing off the rim, hitting a player on the head and somehow going through the net.
Dude I wish I could play because I know I could score 40 points because no one would stop me except maybe my own team.

JamStone
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I like how the NHL does it in terms of re-seeding.

Have the first round the way it is now.

But, in the second round, teams are re-seeded in the order of record. So, the team with the best record plays the team with the worst record still remaining in the playoffs.

It doesn't change the first round match-ups, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think what's more important is that the top two teams in a conference could face before the conference finals.

So, if re-seeding were to happen, Dallas would remain the 4-seed, but after the first round if all the top seeds win their series, Dallas would match-up against Phoenix and San Antonio would match-up against Denver.

DarkReign
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
^ Yup.

Do what the NHL does. Just re-seed after each round. Its very simple. This bracket crap the NBA uses is more confusing.

I never knew this is how it worked until someone said on this forum "...6th seed with HCA"

I was like "whaaaaat?!"

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't get why they don't have it so the top 8 teams are the top 8 seeds in order from best record to worse. That is the most fair way of doing it.

Spurologist
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Sternie needs to get his head out of sand and change this flawed system of ranking seeds. He had fun with Phoenix's run and gun till the conference finals. It's time to give it up. We get the best 8 teams in the playoffs and prevent weakling division leaders to have a sniff at the playoffs.

leemajors
04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
^ Yup.

Do what the NHL does. Just re-seed after each round. Its very simple. This bracket crap the NBA uses is more confusing.

I never knew this is how it worked until someone said on this forum "...6th seed with HCA"

I was like "whaaaaat?!"

i think that's the only case a major sporting league should do what the NHL does.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
What I don't understand is why the league didn't change the system DURING the regular season.

They've done it before, when they changed the first round to best-of-seven during the 03-04 season, and everyone at the time figured that was going to help the Lakers.

2centsworth
04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
What I don't understand is why the league didn't change the system DURING the regular season.

They've done it before, when they changed the first round to best-of-seven during the 03-04 season, and everyone at the time figured that was going to help the Lakers.they should change it tonight to protect the integrity of the game. this mistake is way too amateurish to come from the NBA.

baseline bum
04-18-2006, 04:39 PM
How Clipper-like would it be for them to actually win this game tonight and seal their dooms?

ShoogarBear
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
How Clipper-like would it be for them to actually win this game tonight and seal their dooms?

:lmao

bdubya
04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I love Kaman's quote. "Nobody's going to do anything intentional. Mike [Dunleavy] has way too much pride for that."
( http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=kreidler_mark&id=2412483 )

The coach who, down 10 with five minutes left, went to intentional fouling on Ben, has "too much pride" to tank his way out of facing Dallas? Riiiiiiight. Pull the other one, Chris. :flipoff

2centsworth
04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Guaranteed Donald Sterling has threatened to fire everyone if the Clips score more than 3 points. Can you blame him, a loss probably puts a few extra million in his pocket.

Spurologist
04-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Ok It's a little too late for a rule change. I want someone (the leader) of either team to man-up and say that they are going to put in the effort and try to win this game AND say they are ready for the challenge against Dallas.

MAN UP!!

Darrin
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM

I think he just wanted people to talk about this. Because I remember during the 2004 playoffs when they announced the new alignment specifics that the Pistons would've been the 4th seed, not the third, if those rules applied to the 2003-04 standings.

That's the only reason I can think of for the NBA allowing it to get this far in the process without thinking about this. We're two years in, and Indiana had to collapse to not have this debate last season.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Holy shit I just spilled my drink. :lmao :lmao

Darrin
04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
^ Yup.

I was like "whaaaaat?!"

I don't think I was aware of the 1/8 meeting the 4/5 and 2/7 met 3/6 until 1999. I started paying attention to the standings because the Pistons had tied the series 2-2 with Atlanta, and with New York upsetting the Heat, the Pistons would've had the homecourt advantage in the next round! I thought New York would lose to Detroit because...

2/15/99 - Pistons 69, Knicks 78.
2/28/99 - Pistons 89, Knicks 68.
4/16/99 - Pistons 80, Knicks 71.

The Pistons won big over the Hawks at home in the playoffs:

Game 3 - Pistons 79, Hawks 63
Game 4 - Pistons 103, Hawks 82.

I was convinced that the Pistons would retire Joe Dumars in the Conference Finals. I didn't want him to retire, and I wanted to see what would have to happen for him to win a playoff series and more.

TDMVPDPOY
04-18-2006, 09:06 PM
seriously they shouldve fine some of the teams that were tankin for gettin lower seeds....

baseline bum
04-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Why should they be fined? Stern's the one who screwed up.

Darrin
04-19-2006, 12:07 AM
seriously they shouldve fine some of the teams that were tankin for gettin lower seeds....

The ultimate goal of whatever season there is - pre-, regular, or post- - is to win an NBA Championship. If it leads to a better chance of winning that Championship, or moving deeper in the playoffs to gain experience for later Championship runs, then why wouldn't you tank ONE REGULAR SEASON GAME?

Does the NBA fine for not putting the best players on the floor for the end of the regular season? No. This is no different.

FIX THE LOOP HOLE, DON'T BLAME PEOPLE FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE LOOP HOLE.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2006, 12:28 AM
This one is on the league. How much would you have to be fined to deter you from taking the easy path through the playoffs? If it were my team, I'd tell Stern that the goal is to play for home court advantage and if I can do it by losing, I'm pulling my players and forfeiting the game if I have to.

The NBA knew this was going to happen eventually, yet they did nothing. They knew for a fact this was going to be the year, yet they did nothing. Why penalize two teams who have played their asses off all year by making the winner have to play at Dallas and then at San Antonio? I would force David Stern to award my team a win as punishment.

greyforest
04-19-2006, 01:45 AM
FIX THE LOOP HOLE, DON'T BLAME PEOPLE FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE LOOP HOLE.

mothafuckin werd

101A
04-19-2006, 08:07 AM
This one is on the league. How much would you have to be fined to deter you from taking the easy path through the playoffs? If it were my team, I'd tell Stern that the goal is to play for home court advantage and if I can do it by losing, I'm pulling my players and forfeiting the game if I have to.

The NBA knew this was going to happen eventually, yet they did nothing. They knew for a fact this was going to be the year, yet they did nothing. Why penalize two teams who have played their asses off all year by making the winner have to play at Dallas and then at San Antonio? I would force David Stern to award my team a win as punishment.

It is "fixed", as far as Stern is concerned. Lakers have the easiest possible road to the WCF.

mavsfan1000
04-19-2006, 11:14 AM
How about the winner of the game gets to choose if they want it to count as a win or loss. lol

Mixability
04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
How about the winner of the game gets to choose if they want it to count as a win or loss. lol

I say they should've let the winner of the game decide which seed to take.

ShoogarBear
04-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Yeah, no loophole there.

"The Memphis Grizzlies have interpreted the Danyo rule to say that we get to take the #1 seed."

E20
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
How is the NBA screwed..............

Obstructed_View
04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
They should change the rule now, and punish whoever decided to throw the game. The fact that they won't justifies any attempts to throw the game in the first place.

Mixability
04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, no loophole there.

"The Memphis Grizzlies have interpreted the Danyo rule to say that we get to take the #1 seed."

I meant they should have let the winner of the game take the seed that was up for grabs.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I meant they should have let the winner of the game take the seed that was up for grabs.

I know, just joshing.