PDA

View Full Version : Griffin says he will sign with Timberwolves

Kori Ellis
10-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Griffin says he will sign with Timberwolves

10/05/2004
Associated Press

Former Houston Rockets and New Jersey Nets forward Eddie Griffin says his next team will be the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"I've got to make this work," the troubled player told Houston television station KRIV on Monday before catching a flight to Minneapolis. "They are a good team and the best fit out there."

Representatives of at least two teams, including the Timberwolves, had been in Houston last week to watch Griffin work out.

Kevin McHale, vice president of basketball operations for the Timberwolves, acknowledged some interest in Griffin.

"If I mess this up, it will give people the impression I am not trying to do the right thing," Griffin told the television station.

Griffin, the seventh pick overall in the 2001 NBA draft, missed the entire 2003-04 season because of ongoing legal battles and substance abuse issues. He has been working with former NBA coach John Lucas, who overcame his own substance abuse issues.

Griffin was given 18 months probation in March after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct. He was ordered to continue outpatient treatment for alcohol abuse.

Griffin also was fined $1,000 by a judge who suspended his driver's license for six months following a marijuana conviction in January.

timvp
10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I think this is a smart signing. If he gets his head on straight, he could become a very nice player.

The one question I have is I think that him and Ebi are pretty much the same player. They might as well have waited for Ebi to develop.