PDA

View Full Version : Seattle P.I.: Bob Hill's got IT!

blaze89
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
I stumbled across this piece this morning. When I was done, I was suddenly thinking about those eBay commericials, with "it" everywhere.

What is "it"?

Give it a read...

================================================== ========================

Sonics put faith in Hill
By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

This is the third of a five-part series analyzing the Sonics' season

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — "There's something about him," said the front-office executive. "I can't put my finger on it, but he's got it."

Back in January — when Bob Hill met the people in charge of selling, promoting and marketing the Sonics — whatever the coach has, it was on display and everybody recognized it.

He dressed like a basketball coach on and off the court. He spoke like a basketball coach, and he carried himself like, well, a basketball coach.

But most important, after all of the handshakes, photo ops and one-on-one interviews, the execs walked away convinced their team was in the capable hands of a man who, if nothing else, looked as if he knew what he was doing.

The Sonics officially acknowledged that Monday by exercising the option on Hill's contract and bringing him back for another season.

The announcement made official what everyone said. From the vice presidents, who were charmed by his off-color tales about coaching in the Italian league, to the middle managers, who privately cheered because they had someone they could sell to a seemingly disenchanted fan base.

He had it. That unmistakable quality they could put on a billboard or on the cover of a magazine. He had that rare ability to hobnob with deep-pocket sponsors one minute and mingle with coupon-cutting season-ticket holders the next.

He had presence.

"He looks like the guy," the front-office exec said. "We didn't have that before, but now you look on our sideline and there's no question who's in charge."

The remark was also an unintentional backhanded slap at former coach Bob Weiss, who had the misfortune of being the guy who replaced Nate McMillan after he bolted for Portland last summer.

Expectations were high. All Weiss had to do was continue winning at the pace of the 2004-05 team, which went 52-30, captured the Northwest Division title and advanced to the Western Conference semifinals.

After an unenthusiastic training camp in which several players began the season out of shape, the offense was an undefined mess and the pecking order was unclear. It was evident that the Sonics had made a mistake, although nobody would admit it at the time.

The confession came two months later, after Seattle had stumbled to a 13-17 start. On Jan. 3, Weiss was relieved of coaching duties but remained with the team as an advisor, and general manager Rick Sund ended Hill's long exile from the NBA head-coaching ranks.

There would be no interim tag, no coaching search and no rumors involving Phoenix assistant Marc Iavoroni, former Miami coach Stan Van Gundy or ex-Sonic Paul Silas.

"Bob is the coach," Sund said.

When asked how long Hill would remain, Sund quipped: "Until we get another one."

Sund's directness helped ease a rocky midseason transition. Like it or not, the players would have to deal with Hill for at least the remainder of the season. And Hill admittedly wasn't a happy camper.

Often he chose his words carefully, not wanting to offend Weiss, but his actions essentially said: "Play time is over."

Hill, who last led an NBA team in 1996, waited impatiently for nearly 10 years to get another opportunity, and he was not going to blow it. He installed a boot-camp-style training camp during one of the busiest times of the season. He held practices in the mornings before games, which led to tired legs and ugly defeats. He made radical changes with the starting lineup, revamped the offense and tweaked defensive schemes.

None of this led to victories. The Sonics were 3-7 in their first 10 games and 9-19 after 28 games with Hill. The team's spin-makers pointed to a couple of trades that reshaped the roster and said the new-look Sonics needed time to jell.

It wasn't until a 98-96 defeat to Detroit on March 3 that the Sonics turned the corner. They're 12-9 since that game and 13-8 with newcomers Chris Wilcox and Earl Watson in the lineup.

Apparently, that's enough for Sund, who ended weeks of speculation Monday. Financial terms of Hill's contract were not disclosed, and there's a strong possibility that the two sides will negotiate a long-term deal this offseason.

"Based on the progress we've made as a team over the last third of the season, Bob is the best candidate to get the Sonics back to the playoffs next year," Sund said in a statement. "The playoffs are still our No. 1 goal, and it's important for the players and assistant coaches to know that Bob is going to be the head coach next season."

The players and assistants already knew. Just like the front-office execs and middle managers knew Hill was the guy during that meet-and-greet session in January.

Still many — even those within the franchise — wonder whether the tireless coach whom they saw arrive early and leave late over the past three months is genuine or whether he was coaching for a contract.

"This is who I am," he said after Monday's practice at Arco Arena. "I'm way beyond all of that. I'm at a place in my life where I've come to grips with being misunderstood. Everybody needs to get there. It's very comforting. It really is.

"If you have a vision of what you think needs to be done, well, in the process and along that journey, you're going to have ups and downs. And during those downs, people are going to be critical. And during the ups, they're going to say too nice of things about you. And what you've got to do is keep working, not get distracted and not worry about it. After 35 years, I'm smack dab right there."

Link... (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002936675_soni18.html)

Spurminator
04-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I give him until January.

ChumpDumper
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
:lol

"He dresses that well on what we're paying him? We gotta keep this guy!"

Kori Ellis
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I give him until January.

He's very well liked by the players right now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Almost off topic: Have you guys heard the rumors that Paul Allen is going to bankrupt or somehow get out of the Blazers and buy the Sonics?

ducks
04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
did not know allen was going bankrupt he still is the 22 richest man alive
I read that terry porter was looking for investers to buy blazers
Former Blazer Terry Porter arrives in search of possible investors
By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer
April 18, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Former Trail Blazers star Terry Porter was in Portland on Tuesday to explore the possibility of putting together a group of investors to buy the beleaguered NBA team.

Porter, who recently coached the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons, played nine years for the Trail Blazers and remains the team's career assists leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
He planned to meet with Portland Mayor Tom Potter on Wednesday. A Web site was launched during the weekend to gather fan support for his efforts to rescue the team.

"Terry Porter is truly committed to finding a solution to keep the Blazers in Portland and to lead the organization back to where fans can take pride in their team again," the site www.supportterry.com reads.

Current owner Paul Allen claims the team is hemorrhaging money and needs public support. The Microsoft co-founder said he would be forced to sell the team if a solution could not be found, and seemed resigned to that in recent interviews.

The arena was originally financed by Allen without public money. But the team's sister company, Oregon Arena Corp., declared bankruptcy in 2004 and Allen chose to give up ownership rather than continue to pay interest on construction debt.

As a result, team revenue has declined sharply, along with ticket sales. Allen has estimated the team will lose $100 million over the next three seasons.

Portland Arena Management, the company formed to represent the arena lenders, now owns the Rose Garden.

After Allen's public proclamation of hardship, both city and state officials said they could not help the team financially. The situation appeared dire late last month when NBA commissioner David Stern pulled out of negotiations between the team and the arena's owners.

"Unfortunately, the arena owners have not offered any constructive response to these efforts and recently advised us that they are satisfied with the status quo. Accordingly, we have advised both parties that we have withdrawn from the process," Stern said in a statement.

Since then, however, the two sides have started talking, said Andy Brimmer, a spokesman for Allen's investment firm, Vulcan, Inc.

"One avenue we're exploring with them is jointly selling the team and the arena," Brimmer said.

As for Porter's involvement, Brimmer said: "We're interested in exploring all options that would help put the Trail Blazers on solid financial footing."

The Blazers on Wednesday night conclude one of their worst seasons in franchise history at home against the Phoenix Suns. With just 21 wins this season, Portland was already assured of finishing with the league's worst record.

Porter, who was let go by the Bucks after last season, helped the Blazers reach the NBA finals in 1990 and 1992. Portland won its only championship in 1976-1977.

Porter's group already has $100 million in debt financing lined up. Stern has estimated the team and arena are worth some $300 million.

Porter said he also will approach other former Blazers, including Clyde Drexler. Oregon's most famous billionaire, Nike co-founder Phil Knight, has already said he is not interested.

"The big hurdle is going out and raising the revenue," Porter told reporters Tuesday. "There's no doubt about that; it's an uphill battle."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-porter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Darrin
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Bob Hill may be your former coach, but Rick Sund is the Pistons former GM. In his tenure, he fired Doug Collins after 2 1/2 years (121-88), Alvin Gentry without allowing him to coach a full 82-game season (73-72), and strongly suggested to Dumars that he fire George Irvine mid-way through the 2000-01 season.

Alvin Gentry was an assistant under Doug Collins, and had his interim tag removed at the end of the 1997-98 season. George Irvine was an assistant under Alvin Gentry and had his interim tag removed at the end of the 1999-00 season.

Nate McMillan had been in Seattle 4 years when Sund was hired. As soon as he had a chance, he let McMillan walk, hired his assistant, Bob Weiss, fired him mid-way through the 2005-06 season, and hired his assistant Bob Hill. Now Hill's interim tag has been removed.

Bob Hill shouldn't get too comfortable, and I would remove all competent Assistant coaches as soon as possible. Sund can't build a team mostly because he ignores the frontcourt and relies too much on his stars. To cover that fact, he puts up no-name coaches, but have a long NBA resume, that can fall on their sword.