PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Playoff Minute Distribution

timvp
04-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Preseason is over. The real season is now starting.

How would you distribute the minutes in the playoffs? Here's what I'm thinking:

STARTERS
C Nazr Mohammed -- 20
PF Tim Duncan -- 38
SF Bruce Bowen -- 34
SG Manu Ginobili -- 32
PG Tony Parker -- 38

BENCH
PF Robert Horry -- 28
SF Michael Finley -- 30
PG Nick Van Exel -- 10

That's a pretty nice eight man rotation. I'm not a fan of a nine man rotation in the playoffs, but it was difficult to leave off Brent Barry. If Pop wants to do nine, then splitting those minutes 20 and 10 between Finley and Barry could work.

E20
04-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I leave in Barry. He seems determined to show his stuff. Finley getting 30 mintues is a bit too high IMO. Him and Barry will split those minutes backing up Tony, Manu and Bruce.

boutons_
04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
I see Bruce and Michael giving up some of those minutes to Brent.

Nothing wrong with a 9-man rotation in the first 2 rounds, even thru WCF vs Suns.

It will be very interesting to see how Pop distributes Finals minutes, which I bet he won't decide until he gets there.

SequSpur
04-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Dude, Brent Barry is going to play more minutes than that.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2006, 11:45 PM
I see Bruce and Michael giving up some of those minutes to Brent.

Nothing wrong with a 9-man rotation in the first 2 rounds.

I see Michael giving up some minutes to Barry. But I don't see Bruce playing less than 34. They'll run something like a 8 1/2 man rotation :lol With one of Barry or Fin getting less minutes depending on production.

yeahone
04-19-2006, 11:46 PM
brent gonan get around 2o minutes a game

FreshPrince22
04-19-2006, 11:49 PM
It probably all depends on matchups. I'd be suprised if Tony/Manu/Tim play much less than 40 a game though if the games are competetive. This isn't some regular season crap. Gotta leave it all out on the court.

ShoogarBear
04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't know if we can even average 20 out of Nazr unless he steps it up.

And I agree there's got to be 10-15 minutes for Brent, even if it's only every other game or so.

MI21
04-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I think you are 10 minutes short on your PF/C rotation timvp. 48 minutes for each postition X2 equals 96 minutes. Your rotation of Nazr/Tim/Horry is only playing 86 minutes, so either I'm misunderstanding or you miscalculated.

STARTERS
Nazr Mohammed - 26
Tim Duncan - 40
Bruce Bowen - 34
Emanuel Ginobili - 30
Tony Parker - 38

BENCH
Robert Horry - 30
Michael Finley - 26
Nick Van Exel - 10
Brent Barry - 6

PS - I would prefer to see Horrys minutes down around 26 and Nazrs around 22, but that would mean the Spurs would need 8 more minutes play at the PF/C slot, and in the playoffs I don't trust Rasho.

timvp
04-20-2006, 12:18 AM
I think you are 10 minutes short on your PF/C rotation timvp. 48 minutes for each postition X2 equals 96 minutes. Your rotation of Nazr/Tim/Horry is only playing 86 minutes, so either I'm misunderstanding or you miscalculated.

STARTERS
Nazr Mohammed - 26
Tim Duncan - 40
Bruce Bowen - 34
Emanuel Ginobili - 30
Tony Parker - 38

BENCH
Robert Horry - 30
Michael Finley - 26
Nick Van Exel - 10
Brent Barry - 6

PS - I would prefer to see Horrys minutes down around 26 and Nazrs around 22, but that would mean the Spurs would need 8 more minutes play at the PF/C slot, and in the playoffs I don't trust Rasho.

Nice catch. Damn, that's going to make it tougher.

STARTERS
C Nazr Mohammed -- 20
PF Tim Duncan -- 38
SF Bruce Bowen -- 34
SG Manu Ginobili -- 32
PG Tony Parker -- 38

BENCH
PF Robert Horry -- 28
SF Michael Finley -- 25
SG Brent Barry -- 15
PG Nick Van Exel -- 10

I wouldn't mind something like this. It requires some small ball, but the Spurs have been doing that all season. Kenny Thomas, Dirk Nowitzki and whoever the Suns throw out there can be guarded by Bowen and/or Finley.

timvp
04-20-2006, 12:19 AM
It's scary how many minutes Nazr is going to have to buy the Spurs. Either that or Rasho is going to have to prove that he's capable of playing in the playoffs.

But then you are talking about a nine or ten man rotation and that just doesn't work in the playoffs.

Dre_7
04-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Rasho should get 48 MPG!!!

[/Slovienian Posters]

whottt
04-20-2006, 02:24 AM
It's scary how many minutes Nazr is going to have to buy the Spurs. Either that or Rasho is going to have to prove that he's capable of playing in the playoffs.

But then you are talking about a nine or ten man rotation and that just doesn't work in the playoffs.

I am a lot more comfortable with 9 or 10 than I am with the 7 we had to use last year.

I don't think it's so much that 9 or 10 men rotations don't work in the playoffs, so much as most teams don't usually have the talent, willingness to set aside egos, and ability to play reduced minutes, to go 9 or 10 deep in the playoffs. This team does.

I have a feeling that Barry is going to wind up getting minutes no matter what...

#1. He was pretty much the entire backcourt and swing rotation during last years title run.

#2. When Pop was asked yesterday who he was expecting to be the X-Factor he mentioned Barry. He pretty much called Barry out...Barry plays well when he is called out. Thing is...Pop didn't call Barry out to be a scorer...he called him out for 3's(of course), but he also called him out for his passing and rebounding. I don't think Pop aske for passing from Barry a single time last year...he's got him figured out now....what he can do. In a way I think Finley is part of the reason Barry is more comfortable now...he knows he doesn't have to be a scorer, and he also knows that he can still get court time even if he isn't.

#3. Finley and Van Exel...

Finley: I like Finley, he really is a good guy and he plays hard. Unfortunatley I am very aware of his playoff history...There is going to come a time(probably several of them) in these playoffs where Pop is going to have to make the call on whether or not to go with a cold shooting Finley, or Barry, who can still do stuff to crank the offense up shot or no shot. I hope Pop has seen Finley play enough to know what decision he needs to make when that time comes. It's not like Finley's track record is a mystery...he's not an unknown quantity, and it's not like he hasn't played on talented teams.

NVE - Man I whiffed on Van Exel. He's really lost quite a bit...way more than I thought. Still...I think he's got just a little left and he's been saving it...NVE has too much pride to totally coattail a ring...he's yet to play his best basketball this season...we'll get that in these playoffs....IMO, there's not doubt that he'll either win a game for us, or at least gets us back in one from a huge deficit.

Even still...no matter what he's got left, or how well he plays this post season, he's gonna get yanked several times in this post season for playing bad d or taking bad shots...It won't be that Pop hates him or anything...it's just Pop being Pop in the playoffs. He's gonna get yanked, and I expect that if Pop needs a backup PG in a high pressure situation, he's going to go with Barry over Beno. He might go with Beno once...then he'll figure it out.

Barry has been used this year as I wanted him to be used last year...as offensive grease...not necessarily a 20 mpg spot up shooter and scorer. He' adjusted to that role though, but he's also not asked to do what he was asked to do last year. Pop realizes he can do more than just shoot threes, can help the team without being a scorer, and I think Pop also realized he's not exactly a scorer...

So IMO, Barry will get minutes if only because he earned them last year, he is more comfortable in his role, and Pop has a better grasp on how to use him(and motivate him). Plus he's shooting threes at a 50% clip over the last few weeks or so. :fro

I think we will have a 9 man rotation, or really close to it. And I think that gives us the best opportunity to repeat.

timvp
04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
I don't think it's so much that 9 or 10 men rotations don't work in the playoffs, so much as most teams don't usually have the talent, willingness to set aside egos, and ability to play reduced minutes, to go 9 or 10 deep in the playoffs. This team does.

I've never seen an NBA team go 10 deep in the playoffs and win an NBA championship.

In 1999, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Robinson, Duncan, Elliott, Elie, Johnson, Rose, Jackson, AD/Kerr.

In 2003, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Robinson, Duncan, Bowen, Jackson, Parker, Rose, Ginobili, Claxton.

In 2005, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Mohammed, Duncan, Bowen, Ginobili, Parker, Horry, Barry, Udrih.

It's just not Pop's way to go 9 or 10 deep throughout the playoffs. That said, I WANT Barry to be in the rotation. And since the Spurs will go small a lot, I think he'll get a fair chance to show what he can do.

As far as Finley goes, I'm just hoping that either Finley or Barry show up. If they both do, which is very unlikely, the Spurs could breeze to a championship.

timvp
04-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Barry has been used this year as I wanted him to be used last year...as offensive grease...not necessarily a 20 mpg spot up shooter and scorer. He' adjusted to that role, and limited minutes, and Pop realizes he can do more than just shoot threes, and I think Pop also realized he's not exactly a scorer...

A big difference in Barry this year is that after the near trade, he stopped playing as scared. For his first year and a half on the team, he was scared to make mistakes.

Now he plays like he doesn't GAF. He just goes out there and plays. It's not really something you can see in numbers, but he's playing now like I thought he'd play when the Spurs signed him.

velik_m
STARTERS
C Nazr Mohammed -- 15
PF Tim Duncan -- 38
SF Bruce Bowen -- 34
SG Manu Ginobili -- 32
PG Tony Parker -- 38

BENCH
PF Robert Horry -- 28
SF Michael Finley -- 28
SG/PG Brent Barry -- 17
C Rasho -- 7

everyone else gets microminutes

oh and: Rasho should get 48 MPG!!! :D

T Park
I'm just hoping that either Finley or Barry show up. If they both do, which is very unlikely

Unlikely, but IMO, more likely than we thought earlier in the year.

If Barry can just stay agressive for pete's sake, and Finley keeps that confidence up, I don't see why they cant...

ChumpDumper
04-20-2006, 03:06 AM
This might be the year Pop goes crazy with his rotations. Everyone is relatively healthy and prone to sucking at any given minute.

whottt
04-20-2006, 03:12 AM
I've never seen an NBA team go 10 deep in the playoffs and win an NBA championship.

Come to think of it...I am not sure I have ever seen a team doing it going 10 deep either. Some of those 60 Celtics teams might have done it though, just to make sure all of their HOF'ers got court time.

A 9 man rotation OTOH I have seen...and I've seen in done on some teams that were dynasties...like the 99-00 Lakers...mebbe the 00-01 Lakers as well.

IIRC the 99-00 Lakers had Shaq, Rice, Kobe, Horry, Harper, Shaw, Fisher, Fox, and AC Green all getting substantial minutes.

I think some of Jackson's Bulls teams did it as well...they might not have had 9 guys getting at least 10 mins a game but I am sure a few of those teams had 9 guys that got consistent minutes and had a consistent role.

Jackson also has typically deep regular season rotations.

It's just not Pop's way to go 9 or 10 deep throughout the playoffs. That said, I WANT Barry to be in the rotation. And since the Spurs will go small a lot, I think he'll get a fair chance to show what he can do.

10 maybe...but I don't think he's ever really had a team he was comfortable going 9 deep with...

Does this team have 9 guys that Pop knows he can put in and know he can win a championship with or at least be comfortable with? Well he likes Finley and Van Exel, and he knows he can do it with Barry, hence 9...he's got options and I think he'll be comfortable using them. I don't think he's going to like the play of Finley or Van Exel enough to stay at an 8 man rotation for the entire playoffs, he's going to have Barry as an option and I think he'll take advantage of that. Maybe not...

As far as Finley goes, I'm just hoping that either Finley or Barry show up. If they both do, which is very unlikely, the Spurs could breeze to a championship.

I can't see too many games where Finely, Van Ex and Barry are all cold from 3(at least not until Detroit)...as long as one of those guys is clicking from range our O should run smoothly...or in Van Ex's case...his tear drop too.

One thing Finley can do...he can help us get a lot more easy wins than we usually get. I'm just not sold on him in pressure situations.

Das Texan
04-20-2006, 03:28 AM
The best part about Barry is the versatility he brings you. You are going to have to go small for some times in the games, but you can afford it, especially in the first round. You force the other teams to play to what you have the floor, not the other way around. Barry and Finley will be a bit interchangable, depending on who is playing the best on a given night, that guy will see the most minutes. Nazr needs to give you somewhere between 20-25 somewhat productive minutes and you will be ok. It worked last year, no reason to think he can't at least not totally embarass himself again this year in the same situation. That being said, I'll go with this....

Nazr - 22
Tim - 38
Bruce - 35
Manu - 31
Tony - 37

-------

Horry - 29
Finley - 24
Barry - 15
Van Exel - 9

I think my math is right there.

Slo spurs fan
04-20-2006, 04:25 AM
You all will be surprised how many minutes Rasho will have.

No Dre7, not 48 but more than Nazr (except if Spurs will play against Suns too).

whottt
04-20-2006, 04:32 AM
A big difference in Barry this year is that after the near trade, he stopped playing as scared. For his first year and a half on the team, he was scared to make mistakes.

Last year Barry won about 4 or 5 games for us...many of those with Duncan on the IR...

This year he hasn't won a single game for us and has faced no pressure.

Now he plays like he doesn't GAF. He just goes out there and plays. It's not really something you can see in numbers, but he's playing now like I thought he'd play when the Spurs signed him.

And plus NVE and Finley do what everyone wanted Barry to do last year,(chuck shots)...so the crappy shot quota is being filled by other players(players who are this years targets of board discontent).

Barry isn't asked to be the bench scorer like he was last year, he hasn't faced a shred of pressure this year...and this team hasn't faced the challenges that last years team did.

I know Duncan and Manu were gimpy...but Manu is always gimpy, and gimpy Duncan is better than no Duncan, an no Duncan was what we had a record amount of last year...plus Parker is a stud this year.

As for the trade making the difference...It probably made some, but I think Barry responded well to pressure last year...I think he responded when he was called out last year, he responded when players got physical with him las year, he just didn't always respond by turning into a scorer...he hasn't this year either.

And he can average 20ppg for the rest of the playoffs and win the finals MVP, but barring an all time choke by Finley, he's still going to be traded if there is anyway humanly possible for the Spurs to do it...and he knows it. So it's not like he's playing this way to avoid a trade...there is no pressure on him now...last year there was, last year we won a title BTW, and he was part of the reason.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 05:57 AM

The 1975 Golden State Warriors went 10-11 deep. It was considered revolutionary at the time, and credited as one of the reasons for their upset sweeping of the Bullets in the Finals that year.

They had 11 players play at least 13 of their 17 playoff games. Of those 11, only one averaged less than 10 MPG.

Player/Games/MPG
Rick Barry 17/43
Jamaal Wilkes 17/30
Charles Johnson 17/30
Clifford Ray 17/29
Butch Beard 17/26
George Johnson 17/19
Jeff Mullins 17/18
Derrek Dickey 15/17
Phil Smith 17/15
Bill Bridges 14/11
Charles Dudley 13/9
Steve Bracey 4/4

xcoriate
04-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Trip down memory lane shoog? :p

Surely the reason teams tend to go only 8 deep is because of the talent drop off right? However given the talent this team has aquired. That talent drop off doesn't happen until a little further down the bench, I dont see the problem with a rotation of 9 theres still enough minutes to get everybody into the flow of the game if managed properly.

Nazr - Duncan
Duncan - Horry - Finley
Bowen - Finley - Barry
Manu - Barry - Finley
Parker - Van X - Barry

With Finley, Barry, Van X, and Horry as the primary contributors off the bench. Rasho and Fabricio to play spot mins. at the pivot as required.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Trip down memory lane shoog? :p
I always have to debate whether the need to educate you children is worth the abuse. :hat

Surely the reason teams tend to go only 8 deep is because of the talent drop off right?
Somewhat, but players and coaches will say that you need to get at least X number of minutes for get a rhythm, and so giving too many players too few minutes is not a good thing.

ploto
04-20-2006, 02:39 PM
You will see Rasho in the game during the first quarter of game 1 against Sacramento. Mark my words. He is totally outplaying Nazr, and Rasho has more than proven he can play in the play-offs. It was kind of funny last night- Pop went down the bench early in the fourth quarter and told certain players not in the game at that time that they were done for the night- Manu, NVE and RASHO! Pop made Nazr play garbage time last night. :lol

spurster
04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
In 1999, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Robinson, Duncan, Elliott, Elie, Johnson, Rose, Jackson, AD/Kerr.
You forgot Will the Thrill here, who got significant minutes except for the finals. I don't remember Kerr doing much, but you add him in, then it was a 10-man rotation for the most part.

In 2003, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Robinson, Duncan, Bowen, Jackson, Parker, Rose, Ginobili, Claxton.
I think Kerr helped a little bit. There was WIllis's elbow, too, but he wasn't in a lot after that.

In 2005, the Spurs had an 8 man rotation of Mohammed, Duncan, Bowen, Ginobili, Parker, Horry, Barry, Udrih.
With Devin and Rasho injured when the playoffs started, it wasn't too difficult to settle on this rotation.

Starting this playoffs, all the Spurs are relatively healthy. I'd expect Duncan, Nazr, and Horry for the bigman rotation with Rasho coming in when Nazr is being particularly stupid.

For the point guard rotation, I think it start as Parker and van Exel, but that van Exel will be dropped when the better teams take advantage of him.

For the swingman rotation, I think it will stay Manu, Bowen, Barry, and Finley with Barry and Manu picking up backup point minutes later in the playoffs.

Another issue is how much the Spurs will play Duncan plus 4 3-point shooters.

101A
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
rotations

Last year off the Bench:

Horry, Barry, Udrih

This year:

Horry, Finley, Van Exel THEN Barry, Udrih

...and people wonder why some of us are confident.

Que Gee
04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I cannot see how we get Van Exel in this rotation.. Barry did more than fine in games 6 and 7 last year backing up Tony as PG. He has plenty of experience at point guard since he was the Sonics starting point guard, I wish Pop would just let him run it. He can take minutes at the 3 spot, and backing up the 1 for TP. Barry should get 15 to 20 between the two spots. Nick? Shit, I'd just as much give Beno the same. Nick's done nothing better then Beno this year, and Beno got your precious "experience" last year, which I think is totally overrated anyway.

T Park
04-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Nick's done nothing better then Beno this year,

Not once has Nick had a problem bring the ball up against a pressing backcourt.

Nor has he darn near singlehandidly lose a game like Beno last night.

You people that hate Van Exel are gonna be pissed when he bags those threes against Sacramento.

Fabbs
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't know why some of you have Barry on "probation" and Finley and VanX being locks. I do see we have almost all boardies seeing what Barry can and has contributed and potentially can keep up, including Pop.

Diggin the thread timvp, but it seems like it's best to not "lock in" to a preconcieved # of minutes but stay flexible regarding Barry Fin and Van Ex. Of the three, lets hope they all are hot. :madrun :smokin

But if not and they are brickin, it seems like in order Barry, Fins, then VanX give you the most non shot production. Barry has proven himself as backup pg, I say let him swing between pg, SG and small F depending on the need.

Last year I loved our ability to morph regarding the team we were playing. Banging with the Denver thugs, then running with the Suns. Then mixing with the Pistions. Think we should employ our whole arsenal again.

theroc5
04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
C Nazr Mohammed -- 22
PF Tim Duncan -- 36
SF Bruce Bowen -- 34
SG Manu Ginobili -- 32
PG Tony Parker -- 36

BENCH
PF Robert Horry -- 28
SF Michael Finley -- 25
PG Nick Van Exel -- 10
PG/SG Barry ------- 7
Rasho and gain get micro min unless were blowing the team out

Rick Von Braun
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I will use last playoffs' average minutes per game distribution as a starting point:

Starters:
Nazr Mohammed - 23
Tim Duncan - 38
Bruce Bowen - 35
Manu Ginobili - 34
Tony Parker - 37

Bench:
Robert Horry - 27
Michael Finley - 24
Nick Van Exel - 11

Sporadic minutes/game (not playing all games):
Rasho Nesterovic - 7
Fabricio Oberto - 3
Brent Barry - 11*
Beno Udrih - 5

*Barry will play the most games in this group.

ploto
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I think some of you failed basic math.
48 x 5= 240 minutes. Some of you have totals that aren't even close!

ploto
04-20-2006, 04:49 PM
This might be the year Pop goes crazy with his rotations. Everyone is relatively healthy and prone to sucking at any given minute.
I agree. I think the past couple of weeks heading into the play-offs have shown this to be the case. Pop has even talked about finding the right combination each night. EVERYONE said the rotation would shorten at the end of the season, but it didn't. On the contrary, Pop looked like he wanted to make sure they were all ready for their contribution.

Just to give people a hard time. On spurs.com they have the lead story about the start of the play-offs. The picture they chose-- Tim, Tony, Manu, Bruce and RASHO in the starter's huddle :lol

Rick Von Braun
04-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I think some of you failed basic math.
48 x 5= 240 minutes. Some of you have totals that aren't even close!

Nope, you are mistaken. Those are average minutes per game, and you can have players with those average minutes played without playing all games. The scenario I showed above is perfectly possible.

This is the last year's playoffs average minutes per game distribution:

Player Games Minutes
1 duncan,tim 23 37.8
2 ginobili,manu 23 33.6
3 parker,tony 23 37.3
4 horry,robert 23 26.9
5 mohammed,nazr 23 23.0
6 barry,brent 23 24.1
7 bowen,bruce 23 35.4
8 robinson,glenn 13 8.7
9 udrih,beno 21 11.5
10 brown,devin 12 5.0
11 nesterovic,rasho 15 7.6
12 massenburg,tony 9 3.1

BTW, you can clearly see that the Spurs used an eight (8) player rotation, with Beno missing only two games. IMHO, Brent Barry will be this year Beno's, contributing to many games with the only difference that the Spurs will play a nine (9) player rotation (or close to it, since Brent will not play all the games).

ploto
04-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Actually you are wrong. Mathematically speaking, the total of all averages should EXCEED 240 minutes, as some players will not play in every game. You can not only list 230 minutes and say the rest will hardly play. It does not work that way. The rest, if they only play in some games, will have to total more than 10 minutes on average from among them all.

ploto
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Nope, you are mistaken. Those are average minutes per game, and you can have players with those average minutes played without playing all games. The scenario I showed above is perfectly possible.

This is the last year's playoffs average minutes per game distribution:

Player Games Minutes
1 duncan,tim 23 37.8
2 ginobili,manu 23 33.6
3 parker,tony 23 37.3
4 horry,robert 23 26.9
5 mohammed,nazr 23 23.0
6 barry,brent 23 24.1
7 bowen,bruce 23 35.4
8 robinson,glenn 13 8.7
9 udrih,beno 21 11.5
10 brown,devin 12 5.0
11 nesterovic,rasho 15 7.6
12 massenburg,tony 9 3.1

BTW, you can clearly see that the Spurs used an eight (8) player rotation, with Beno missing only two games. IMHO, Brent Barry will be this year Beno's, contributing to many games with the only difference that the Spurs will play a nine (9) player rotation (or close to it, since Brent will not play all the games).
Rasho played in 15 of 23 games even being injured. That does not in my opinion say he was completely out of the rotation.

Rick Von Braun
04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Actually you are wrong. Mathematically speaking, the total of all averages should EXCEED 240 minutes, as some players will not play in every game. You can not only list 230 minutes and say the rest will hardly play. It does not work that way. The rest, if they only play in some games, will have to total more than 10 minutes on average from among them all.

I honestly have no time to explain... the sum of all players with minutes ~255... in excess of 240. The excess is justified by some players not playing all games.

The 8 players in the rotation playing all games in the scenario I described is 229 minutes. The 7 players in the rotation that played all games in last year's playoffs is 219. In both cases the excess of minutes is taken by players that do not necessarily play all the games.

Cheers

spurschick
04-20-2006, 08:07 PM
After what I witnessed last night, I would rather give backup PG minutes to Brent and bring Beno and Nick in if we're up by 20. Nick has been making some really bad decisions (I'm glad he's retiring this summer) and Beno is starting to get that deer in the headlights look again.

And it's looking like Rob is going to be our saviour in the middle again. Can we please find a way to get Dwight Howard?

ploto
04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I honestly have no time to explain... the sum of all players with minutes ~255... in excess of 240. The excess is justified by some players not playing all games.

The sum that some posters gave was only 230. That is what I am talking about.

Believe me, my 4.0 GPA with a degree in mathematics tells me I know what I am talking about. I don't need you to explain anything to me. I am not arguing with the figures from last season. I am telling them that their predictions are wrong.

I was not even talking about you and your prediction. If you actually bothered to read what I wrote:

"Mathematically speaking, the total of all averages should EXCEED 240 minutes, as some players will not play in every game."

aaronstampler
04-20-2006, 10:36 PM
1) I think Nazr is playing too poorly and Rasho too well (for Rasho) for him to be banished like many people expect. If teams go small against us, it's one thing, but if they put a traditional lineup out there, I expect Rasho to play. The only team that we've established he definitely can't play against is the Pistons, because of their rebounding. And the Suns go small. But he should contribute in the first two rounds and maybe more if Phx is out.

2) Brent should be the backup PG. Bring him in at the start of the 2nd quarter when Tony goes out. Since Manu exists at the 7 min mark and comes back at the start of the 2nd quarter as well, the two can share ballhandling duties, and they're pretty much the two best passers on the team. I really like when the two of them are on the floor together. NVE takes too many horrible shots and plays no defense. Beno gets too intimidated against the good teams. But if I had to pick between the two, I'd still pick the latter. 82 games is 82 games, and Beno has clearly outperformed Nick.

Here's my rotation...

PF Timmah! 39
SF Bruuuuce 33
C T-Rex 16
SG Gino 34
PG TP 38

6. Roho 26
7. Findog 24
8. Bones 18
9. 'Sho 12

Works out to a nice 160 to 80 or 2:1 ratio of starters to bench.

T Park
04-20-2006, 10:39 PM
and Beno has clearly outperformed Nick.

lmao

no he has not....

aaronstampler
04-20-2006, 10:53 PM
check 82games.com and get back to me.

Rick Von Braun
04-21-2006, 12:19 AM
The sum that some posters gave was only 230. That is what I am talking about.

You could safely assume that most people estimated the minutes of the 8-9 main players rotations... it is perfectly fine if they are under 240... once you consider the sporadic minutes of the other 3-4 players in the bench, everything evens out.

Believe me, my 4.0 GPA with a degree in mathematics tells me I know what I am talking about.

Good for you. Nice to have good math skills. :king

I don't need you to explain anything to me. I am not arguing with the figures from last season. I am telling them that their predictions are wrong.

See my response above... it is reasonable to assume people didn't want to put the few minutes of the remaining players. I didn't want to offend you or anything :)

I was not even talking about you and your prediction.

Your post was right after my post, which is why I responded :spin

If you actually bothered to read what I wrote:

"Mathematically speaking, the total of all averages should EXCEED 240 minutes, as some players will not play in every game."

I did, and you are still missing the point. Once again, most people wrote the averages of the 8-9 players with most minutes. Small differences can be covered by minutes given to the rest of the bench.

There is a difference in estimating the minutes of the top 8-9 players and saying that those are the only minutes used by the team with the rest of the bench getting zero minutes. Just look at all the playoff rosters of all the teams in the playoffs. Players rotations of 8-9 players are common, but the rest of the bench still get some few minutes here and there. :drunk

Bruno
04-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Rasho played in 15 of 23 games even being injured. That does not in my opinion say he was completely out of the rotation.

Rick Von Braun is right. Spurs have played with an 8 player rotation (TP/Manu/Bruce/TD/Nazr/Udrih/Horry/Barry) and it's a fact not an opinion.

A player rotation player is a player the coach planed to use before the game and use when everything is right. Rasho has been used in specific case (foul troubles, troubles on a specific player, blowout or garbage time), he was a situational player not a rotational player.