PDA

View Full Version : Favorite playoff series...

Darrin
04-20-2006, 12:51 AM
1.(1) Pistons v. (8) Bucks
Michael Redd and Rip Hamilton had some duels in the regular season. If this was Larry Brown or Rick Carlisle coaching, I don't think that would matter much in the postseason, but I don't know how Flip will be about two guys going after each other. It could be entertaining for that reason. However, this is my top pick only because it's the Detroit Pistons, my favorite team. I'm going out on a limb - my first sweep called in this era of Detroit Basketball - 4-0.

2.(6) Clippers v. (3) Nuggets
I love this series. It's fun that the Clippers are going to be in the postseason for the first time since 1997, but they have a legitimate chance to beat the Nuggets and advance! My favorite 1st-round series last year was Bulls-Wizards because it was two teams that would've relished just making the playoffs with a chance to make the 2nd round. I think this is the same scenario here. Part of its appeal, however, is the NBA marketers aren't going to put this series front and center. We can just watch two teams slug it out. 4-3 Clippers.

3.(3) Nets v. (6) Pacers
They put up a great series 4 years ago that ended in overtime of the 5th game. Both teams are a lot more battle-tested than that series. Nets win 4-3.

4.(4) Cavs v. (5) Wizards
Lebron v. Arenas. That alone could be worth the price of the dish, but it's more than that for me. This is the second-round matchup in the Pistons bracket. Much like the Clippers-Nuggets series, both teams are evenly matched and I don't much care who wins. That makes for entertainment for me; players in the first-round playing like they can win the Finals if they get 4 playoff wins. 4-2 Cavs.

5.(4) Mavs v. (5) Grizzlies
The Grizzlies are my dark horse, and have been all season. I like the ball this team plays, even though people may consider it a mind-numbing bore. The matchups are going to be great, and I fully expect this Grizzlies team to give Dallas all they can take. A great series for Dallas to sharpen its teeth. 4-2 Dallas.

6.(2) Suns v. (7) Lakers
For two games or so this will be fun. The Suns fun-and-gun vs. the scoring maching Kobe Bryant. However it will become infuriating watching a bunch of players stand around, laying out a red carpet to take whatever shot they want. I picking the upset here, 4-2 Lakers.

7.(2) Heat v. (7) Bulls
Yawn. Get prepared for some inflated stats by Mourning, Haslem, and Shaq. One game-winner by Ben Gordon, and at least one "cheap-shot" story about Nocioni, Heat 4-1.

8.(1) Spurs v. (8) Kings
This is nothing personal Spurs fans. I don't want to give the NBA any impression in any way that I find Ron Artest interesting; I don't. I know the outcome of this series before the ball is thrown up, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim making his first playoff series in 8 years is not enough to get me to tune in, Spurs 4-1.

What are your rankings???

Pistons < Spurs
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Lakers vs Suns and the Cavs vs Wizards.

IMO those are going to be very exciting series.

I'm also curious to see how the Mavs vs Grizz matchup plays out. I think the Grizz really could beat Dallas.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2006, 02:44 AM
I just don't think the Heat are that good, and the Bulls are playing with some confidence. If there's a genuine upset to be had in the first round, that's it in my mind.

Xylus
04-20-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm getting sick of the Laker hype. The Suns vs. Lakers series is going to be pretty boring for non-fans, since Phoenix will be going for a sweep. I'll be disappointed if the Lakers manage to take it to Game 6.

If you want to see the one-man-show get embarrassed by the balanced assault of the Suns, then perhaps you won't be so bored. Lakers don't have the inside presence necessary to frustrate the Suns, like the Spurs (Nazr-Duncan) or the Clippers (Brand-Kaman) do. Kobe will get drawn into a battle of wills with Raja Bell, taking the rest of the Lakers out of an offensive rhythm.

I don't understand why a Lakers win against a Suns squad minus Raja Bell, Steve Nash, and Kurt Thomas--a team with the 2nd seed and division title locked up--is suddenly a revelation.

Darrin
04-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I just don't think the Heat are that good, and the Bulls are playing with some confidence. If there's a genuine upset to be had in the first round, that's it in my mind.

Wow. That's quite an upset, and one I would certainly welcome. I just think that Chicago's weakness, interior play, is Miami's strength. But, of course, perimeter defense has been Miami's weakness all season, so perhaps Gordon can put the Bulls on his back...

Darrin
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
I don't understand why a Lakers win against a Suns squad minus Raja Bell, Steve Nash, and Kurt Thomas--a team with the 2nd seed and division title locked up--is suddenly a revelation.

I didn't even see that game. What I do know is that the Lakers have had a much better record down the stretch of the season compared to the Suns. Their four best players had their best months of the season in April. The Lakers have 5 players that have logged significant minutes in the NBA Finals, 4 of which are in their rotation on a nightly basis. This team has grown significantly down the stretch of the season, and most importantly, they believe they can beat the Suns.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between their two rosters, and that usually means I let the overall "intangibles" of the team weigh out. The Lakers win there.

ALVAREZ6
04-20-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm callin it right now, the Bulls are gonna beat Miami.

You heard it here first.

nkdlunch
04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Go Wizards. Put Lebronze In His Place!!!!

boutons_
04-20-2006, 09:23 AM
The Lakers have come together well. It must be due to Phil.

The lower bracket is so balanced, I can see Spurs vs Lakers WCF, because if the Lakers can nip the Suns, they would probably take the winner of Clips/Nuggs

Supergirl
04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
1.(1) Pistons v. (8) Bucks
Michael Redd and Rip Hamilton had some duels in the regular season. If this was Larry Brown or Rick Carlisle coaching, I don't think that would matter much in the postseason, but I don't know how Flip will be about two guys going after each other. It could be entertaining for that reason. However, this is my top pick only because it's the Detroit Pistons, my favorite team. I'm going out on a limb - my first sweep called in this era of Detroit Basketball - 4-0.

2.(6) Clippers v. (3) Nuggets
I love this series. It's fun that the Clippers are going to be in the postseason for the first time since 1997, but they have a legitimate chance to beat the Nuggets and advance! My favorite 1st-round series last year was Bulls-Wizards because it was two teams that would've relished just making the playoffs with a chance to make the 2nd round. I think this is the same scenario here. Part of its appeal, however, is the NBA marketers aren't going to put this series front and center. We can just watch two teams slug it out. 4-3 Clippers.

3.(3) Nets v. (6) Pacers
They put up a great series 4 years ago that ended in overtime of the 5th game. Both teams are a lot more battle-tested than that series. Nets win 4-3.

4.(4) Cavs v. (5) Wizards
Lebron v. Arenas. That alone could be worth the price of the dish, but it's more than that for me. This is the second-round matchup in the Pistons bracket. Much like the Clippers-Nuggets series, both teams are evenly matched and I don't much care who wins. That makes for entertainment for me; players in the first-round playing like they can win the Finals if they get 4 playoff wins. 4-2 Cavs.

5.(4) Mavs v. (5) Grizzlies
The Grizzlies are my dark horse, and have been all season. I like the ball this team plays, even though people may consider it a mind-numbing bore. The matchups are going to be great, and I fully expect this Grizzlies team to give Dallas all they can take. A great series for Dallas to sharpen its teeth. 4-2 Dallas.

6.(2) Suns v. (7) Lakers
For two games or so this will be fun. The Suns fun-and-gun vs. the scoring maching Kobe Bryant. However it will become infuriating watching a bunch of players stand around, laying out a red carpet to take whatever shot they want. I picking the upset here, 4-2 Lakers.

7.(2) Heat v. (7) Bulls
Yawn. Get prepared for some inflated stats by Mourning, Haslem, and Shaq. One game-winner by Ben Gordon, and at least one "cheap-shot" story about Nocioni, Heat 4-1.

8.(1) Spurs v. (8) Kings
This is nothing personal Spurs fans. I don't want to give the NBA any impression in any way that I find Ron Artest interesting; I don't. I know the outcome of this series before the ball is thrown up, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim making his first playoff series in 8 years is not enough to get me to tune in, Spurs 4-1.

What are your rankings???

I agree with your analysis, and that the Clips should knock of the Nuggets, but I think the Grizzlies could knock off the Mavericks. I'd like to see it happen.