PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Kings -- Play Assistant Coach

T Park
04-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Alright we all know the assistant coaches on the Spurs team all season are assigned teams in the future to scout and say HOW to beat that team.

Well Spurs fans, THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO DO THAT!!!!! :elephant

As you all know the Spurs will be facing the Sacramento Kings, in possibly the toughest first round meeting the Spurs have ever had.

Using your basketball knowledge, what do the Spurs need, to beat the Kings?

HOW do you beat the Sacramento Kings.

Remember, the Spurs are 0-1 vs the new look Ron Artest Kings.

What do the Spurs need to do??

Question

Melmart1
04-20-2006, 01:28 AM
PLAY assst coach? I thought we already had a bunch of them posting here.

RON ARTEST
04-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Alright we all know the assistant coaches on the Spurs team all season are assigned teams in the future to scout and say HOW to beat that team.

As you all know the Spurs will be facing the Sacramento Kings, in possibly the toughest first round meeting the Spurs have ever had.

Question
force the kings to shoot jumpshots and put a smaller man on brad miller. if they put either nazr or rasho on him he will have a field day. i think the last time they played pop put finley on him and it took brad right out of the game.

E20
04-20-2006, 01:31 AM
-They've got the Kings front court in check
-They've got the Kings bench in check
-They've got the coaching in check

The main thing that needs to be assesed is the play of the guards.

Mike Bibby
Bonzi Wells
Ron Artest

against

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Bruce Bowen

That is my only concern. Tony will need to step up and play hard D on Bibby, while Bowen either guards Wells or Artest depending on who is on that game, while Manu gets the leftovers. Luckily the Kings bench is made up of crap and their starters will eventually tire out while, our bench is superior to theirs making it the X-Factor in this series..

T-Pain
04-20-2006, 01:52 AM
shutdown Bibby and Artest and we got this series won

slayermin
04-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Artest would have to shoot lights out for the Kings to win one or two games. If he's guarding Manu, his legs will not be there for his jumpers on a consistent basis. If he posts up and is successful, you might want to consider playing Michael Finley on him. Artest will wear out Manu and Bowen. You want to keep Manu fresh for offense and Bruce to shutdown Bibby. Glenn Robinson would have been a nice matchup with Artest.

As for Bibby, let Tony play him most of the game. If TP gets torched sic Bruce on him. If TP is struggling, use Bowen in crunchtime to guard Bibby.

And of course, the Spurs need to take care of the glass and don't commit dumb turnovers. Shooting 70% from the line will help too.

T Park
04-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Bump,

wanna see what Chump, solid D, TIMVP, and others say.....

Obstructed_View
04-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Shorten the rotation, take good shots. Sacramento played a seven man rotation in that game and nobody on the Spurs played more than 30 minutes. I also don't expect the Kings to shoot 50 percent on threes every game. Since the Spurs don't have to play any back to backs in this series, the Kings don't have much opportunity to take advantage of getting into town before the Spurs do.

T Park
04-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Spurs playing a good, to great, zone defense could also be huge.

Beans
04-20-2006, 03:41 AM

Question

what they need to do is be realistic and know that they will lose the series. if not in 4, then 5 for sure. game over, losers

Kings241
04-20-2006, 04:22 AM
what they need to do is be realistic and know that they will lose the series. if not in 4, then 5 for sure. game over, losers

This guy is obviously a 12 year old :troll
So why isn't he banned yet?

ThirdCoast
04-20-2006, 04:24 AM
This guy is obviously a 12 year old :troll
So why isn't he banned yet?

Yall are FUCKING idiots.

It doesn't matter who wins between San Antonio and Sacramento.

Because

The winner of the WEST will easily lose to Miami in the FINALS.

Can you feel the HEAT??!!

Kings241
04-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Yall are FUCKING idiots.

It doesn't matter who wins between San Antonio and Sacramento.

Because

The winner of the WEST will easily lose to Miami in the FINALS.

Can you feel the HEAT??!!

:hat :idiot

polandprzem
04-20-2006, 04:48 AM
back to the oryginal topic of TPark.

Well to me it will be important to contain Bonzi Wells. He has that athletic ability to run, slash and make shots. Ofcourse you must put Gino on him at the begining of the game cause Artest will be to much for manu as Bowen would go to Bonzi.
The key will be a permiter defense as all the Kings S5 can shoot (Thomas might be an exception). So don't be so concentated on the interior or clogging the lane. Don't let them get hot cause they can put a long strech with shooting around.

In the offesive end the Spurs must be sure everybopdy gets the ball and all must to start with penetration and that is Tony (who can get through Bibby as Bibby is not that excelllent defender) and Manu - Kings like to close up the lane and can leave (probably) Bowen outside, and then try to move the ball around and execute (the other key). Still the spurs has Tim Duncan where they can send the ball. Give the 4down a chance and wait what the Kings will do.
I think it could be also wise to play more small ball and try to run with Kings.

That's all for now.

MI21
04-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Please box out Bonzi Wells. He will murder you on the offensive rebounds and is incredibly tough down low. I worry about whoever matches up on him, if he takes Manu down low he could really be a huge contributer.

Make Mike Bibby make shots in the lane off of Pick N Rolls. Realise that whenever he goes left, its for a jumpshot. I'd be down for some full court pressure on him too. He's going to be busy down one end defending Tony, so make him exert more energy just bringing the ball up, anything to make his legs more fatigued for those jumpshots.

Similar thing with Brad Miller, don't give him the jumpshots make him go right where he often runs into trouble. He loves the top of the key jumpshot, so contest that heavily. He doesn't like to jump, so challenge every rebound around him hard. Take the ball at him hard too, he isn't much of a shotblocker.

Back off Artest. If a defender gives just enough room to Artest to confuse him on whether he should drive or shoot, he often just stands there dominating the ball and stagnating the offense. Don't try and block his shots either, because he is so strong he goes right up through the defender and draws the foul.

Don't forget about Abdur-Rahim. Sure he is a perennial loser and has never played a playoff game his whole career, but that makes him an X-Factor. He has a habit of playing well against the Spurs and Timmy, so pay attention to him. He likes to use his quickness on Timmy and also to take him out on the floor, but also has a solid post game. I wouldn't mind seeing a shorter but quicker defender on him sometimes, even if they give up height. Finley or Bruce would be alright.

That's mainly defensive type stuff, everyone knows what the Spurs are about offensively. Penetration from Manu and Tony, spot up shooting from Finley, Van Exel, Barry, Bowen, Horry, Udrih to go along with a steady diet of Timmy on the block. The Kings are unable to take the Spurs out of this for a whole series, so most offensive struggles will just be on the Spurs, not neccassarily anything the Kings are doing (within reason).

Overall I see the Spurs winning in 6, possibly 5, with all the games being relatively close. I think the Spurs will do there annual "lose an early playoff game at home" bullshit, but then fight there way out of. Like 2003 and 2005, this team is better than an 8 seed and will prove a tough out, but I think that is the best way for the Spurs to get warmed up for the real deal.

velik_m
04-20-2006, 05:27 AM

4-down

texasqb2
04-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I would like to see Bowen on Bibby, it seems as if he always goes off on us from the perimeter.

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Ron Artest guaranteed that the Kings are going to win it all on Mike and Mike in the morning.

I think Denver was a tougher 1st rd opponet than the Kings are. They were much more physical and the Spurs had to play their best to beat them. I think SA can beat the Kings in 5 games without much of a problem.

I like the way we are shooting the ball, so the Kings can not just pack the paint like they have in the past against us, they have to stay at home with our shooters, that means that TD and Rasho and Nazr can pretty much have their way on the O boards and in the paint.

FromWayDowntown
04-20-2006, 08:41 AM
I would like to see Bowen on Bibby, it seems as if he always goes off on us from the perimeter.

If you put Bowen on Bibby, who does Parker defend? Don't say Bonzi, because Bonzi will post Parker all night long and quickly command double teams that will leave other shooters open. I can't imagine that you want Parker on Artest, either.

In some matchups with some teams that lack guards who can post up effectively, Parker can be moved to other players to allow Bowen to check a point guard. I don't see that Sacramento is one of those teams.

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 08:45 AM
If you put Bowen on Bibby, who does Parker defend? Don't say Bonzi, because Bonzi will post Parker all night long and quickly command double teams that will leave other shooters open. I can't imagine that you want Parker on Artest, either.

In some matchups with some teams that lack guards who can post up effectively, Parker can be moved to other players to allow Bowen to check a point guard. I don't see that Sacramento is one of those teams.

TP on Bibby, Bruce on Artest, TD on Thomas, Nazr on Miller and Manu on Bonzi. Bruce might switch to Bonzi or Abdur Rahim if they get hot.

FromWayDowntown
04-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I think priority #1 for the Spurs has to be to blitz the pick-and-rolls that Bibby plays, regardless of who he's playing it with. What really made things click for Sac in the last game here was Bibby's ability to break free coming off of screens. The Spurs guards did a poor job of fighting through the screens and there was little or no help when Bibby came over the top of the screens. That gave him freedom to shoot or a step to the basket if he tried to drive. When he shot, he was on fire; when he drove, the Spurs were slow to react and left to scramble around to help at the rim, which gave Bibby passing lanes and left his teammates with open shots in comfortable spots. If Bibby can do that for any length of time in the coming series, the Spurs will have some significant problems.

T Park
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Wich is why, IMO, you have to play a tough zone, forcing bad perimiter shots.

DDS4
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I think priority #1 for the Spurs has to be to blitz the pick-and-rolls that Bibby plays, regardless of who he's playing it with. What really made things click for Sac in the last game here was Bibby's ability to break free coming off of screens. The Spurs guards did a poor job of fighting through the screens and there was little or no help when Bibby came over the top of the screens. That gave him freedom to shoot or a step to the basket if he tried to drive. When he shot, he was on fire; when he drove, the Spurs were slow to react and left to scramble around to help at the rim, which gave Bibby passing lanes and left his teammates with open shots in comfortable spots. If Bibby can do that for any length of time in the coming series, the Spurs will have some significant problems.

Exactly. Our pic-n-roll D in the last game with the Kings was atrocious. I'd rather have the Spur perimeter guys not go under the screens, follow Bibby above screens and make him handle the ball and drive.

T Park
04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
A more motivated and healthier Duncan, should be able to patrol the basket a little better, and if Brad Miller plays alot, then Rasho will match up fine with him, so you can rotate guys and let him guard the basket too.

LilMissSPURfect
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
shutdown Bibby and Artest and we got this series won

blow sweet nuthings into artest's ear and he'll shut down hisself... :fro

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
If I was the Asst. Coach, everytime a player was playing bad I would go up to him and say "Is PJ Carlesimo gonna hafta Choke a Bitch??"

atxrocker
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
A more motivated and healthier Duncan, should be able to patrol the basket a little better, and if Brad Miller plays alot, then Rasho will match up fine with him, so you can rotate guys and let him guard the basket too.

:lol
Miller owns scrub ass Rasho... :lol