PDA

View Full Version : W. Tapped Chirac's Phone

Nbadan
10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
The Bush-Chirac relationship is said to be "irreparable"

A book published in France says the US regularly monitored French President Jacques Chirac's phone calls.

The book, which charts the breakdown of the leaders' relationship in the run-up to the Iraq war, says several sources reported the surveillance.

The US told a senior French military official the French-US relationship at a personal level was "irreparable".

The book, Chirac contre Bush - l'autre guerre (Chirac versus Bush - the other war), comes out on Wednesday.

More bugging:

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3715980.stm)

I guess alleged cheating on the food-for-oil program is still a crime, but espionage against your allieds isn't?

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Nothing new.

Yonivore
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, this is good news.

"I guess alleged cheating on the food-for-oil program is still a crime, but espionage against your allieds isn't?"
Actually, that's probably a true statement, depending on the method of espionage.

Unless, of course, you're caught committing espionage while in the country against which you're operating. They'd probably have a law against it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I think calling France an ally is the laughable part. What has France done for anything, outside of providing good wine, in the lsat 50 years?

France has been more of an ally to Iraq than it has to the US or the EU in the last several years.

Chiraq can stick it.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm sure Dubya can't remember everyone he's tapped.