PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Van Exel fails to get emotional

Kori Ellis
04-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042006.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.18089c65.html

HOUSTON — Having already decided to retire this summer, Nick Van Exel had one last request for his teammates as he took the floor for the final regular-season game of his 13-year career.

"I told the fellas," Van Exel said, "I needed to get about 20 attempts."

Van Exel had to settle for fewer than half that, taking nine shots, making three and scoring 10 points in 20 minutes.

Said Van Exel of his teammates: "They held me back."

Though Van Exel was playing in Houston, where he makes his off-season home, he wasn't too sentimental about the game.

"I didn't really think about it much," he said. "I was just like, 'Man, this is going to be my last regular-season game.' That was about it."

If Van Exel sticks to his retirement plans, he will end his career at 880 regular-season games. Now, however, he's looking forward to the postseason.

"I'm feeling a little bit better, just trying to just get into that playoff form," he said. "Hopefully it carries over."

Streak continues: While Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Tim Duncan and Tony Parker the night off, he didn't have to ask Bruce Bowen whether he wanted some extra rest.

Bowen started his 354th consecutive game Wednesday. He is the only Spur to play in every game this season.

Bowen also hopes to stay busy this summer. He will attend the U.S. national team's training camp and hopes to play in the World Championships in August.

"I'll rest after (that)," Bowen said.

Sartorial Duncan: Van Exel, like many of the Spurs, was amused by Duncan's decision to wear a sports jacket even though he was one of the biggest critics of the NBA's new dress code. The possibility of a fine, Van Exel said, may have swayed Duncan's decision.

"He is a sellout," Van Exel said, laughing. "He was talking (big), but he didn't, want to give up none of that money." :lmao

Parker top scorer: Popovich's decision to sit both Parker and Duncan ensured Parker finished the season as the team's leading scorer with an average 18.9 points per game.

Duncan averaged a career-low 18.6. It was the first time he hasn't led the team since David Robinson did in the 1997-98 season.

Parker's average is the lowest to lead the Spurs since Dominique Wilkins averaged a team-high 18.2 in 1996-97.

Rockets end on sour note: As the Spurs prepped for the playoffs, the Houston Rockets watched their frustrating season end with one more loss.

Houston won only 15 of its 41 home games, and coach Jeff Van Gundy didn't want to blame the team's struggles on its numerous injury problems.

"It was more than that," Van Gundy said. "We didn't have the personality on our team of mental or physical toughness.

"The things we need to improve on are glaring, and we are where we deserve to be at 34 wins and the worst home record in the NBA."

T-shirt toss: Rockets mascot Clutch threw "Thank You" T-shirts to fans for almost 13 hours Tuesday from a balcony of the Toyota Center. The "World's Largest T-shirt Toss" event was held to thank Rockets fans for their support. Clutch tossed a total of 2,288 shirts.