PDA

View Full Version : Cuban gives every fan a free AA flight voucher

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Every fan at Dallas' last game last night got a free American Airlines flight voucher to anywhere in the US, in fan appreciation night. This is much better than free Whataburgers that the Spurs give out:)

That is way too cool. BTW, that is over 19,000 tickets, which could cost Cuban almost 4 million bucks.

Mark Cuban is the man. Props to Mark and the Mavs

:smokin

SpursWoman
04-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Dayum. :wow

ObiwanGinobili
04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
was it 1-way or round trip?

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Makes sense. Since the Mavs have home court in the first round their fans will have to fly to Memphis to see the last game of their season when they get swept.

SpursWoman
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM

:lol

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 09:36 AM

:lmao

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Nice, Mark. Should help to take the sting out of this:

http://www.emmitt22.com/gifs/empty-case.jpg

pache100
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
The Spurs don't need to buy my support and fanship. I like my little "Build-a-Bear" that I got at the last regular season home game just fine.

Mark Cuban still sucks (what a pretentious show-off). And I think it's hilarious that he has to go to such lengths to ensure loyalty from Mavs fans. Fickle bunch, apparently (excluding some present company, of course).

pache100
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't know how you can hate on that. I don't like Cuban 70% of the time, but the other 30% he comes up with some good ideas. Giving back to the fans like that is really cool. Most teams - all they do is take, with Cuban he comes up with creative ideas to get you interested or thinking about the Mavs or to feel like they really appreciate you.

His promotion may have cost him a lot of money on the books, but I think it will all come back to him and more.

I just think it's one-ups-manship to the max. Unnecessary and excessive, but right in character. True Cubanism.

Holt's Cat
04-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Holt gave me some free Fancy Feast. One time. :depressed

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Don't give Cuban too much credit; the idea came from AA and is being paid for by AA:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042006dnbusfreetkts.1777f7b5.html

It took giving the fans at the Dallas Mavericks' Fan Appreciation Night free tickets on American's flights at Dallas Love Field to do it, but Dan Garton, the carrier's top marketing executive, said the roar was louder than he expected. "What a rush," Mr. Garton said of the din that followed what he called the carrier's biggest ticket giveaway.

[...]

Unknown cost

It's unclear how much the offer will cost American. The last-minute fare to St. Louis was $268 roundtrip Wednesday evening, according to American's Web site, and a roundtrip to Austin cost $232.

But the airline expects only about a quarter of the fans who received the vouchers for free tickets will use them.

[...]

It's not as if American's flights from Love are jammed anyway. All but weekend flights appear to have plenty of seats available at low fares, according to the carrier's Web site.

[...]

The free ticket idea came from a few marketing employees about five or six weeks ago, but took a lot of persuasion at the airline to make it happen, Mr. Garton said. He had to go through the plan alone with Mr. Arpey to convince him it would pay off in the long run.

SpursWoman
04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't think it is ... I just think it was a pretty cool gesture that he wasn't obligated to do. And I'm sure AA cut him a really good deal. :lol

edit: yeah, I figured they would have had a hand in it.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Don't give Cuban too much credit; the idea came from AA and is being paid for by AA:

Not only that, read the fine print:

It took giving the fans at the Dallas Mavericks' Fan Appreciation Night free tickets on American's flights at Dallas Love Field to do it,

When was the last time you flew in to Love Field on American?

pache100
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Don't give Cuban too much credit; the idea came from AA and is being paid for by AA

That's what I suspected!

Holt's Cat
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Maybe Holt will give out free Cats at an upcoming game? I could use a new 'dozer.

SenorSpur
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
The only ones that are hatin' are his fellow owners

Big ups to Cuban!

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
And, you can only take non-stop flights from Love, meaning this offer is limited to:

Austin
San Antonio
St. Louis
Kansas City

So it's typical Cuban. A lot of hype, he ends up getting credit from the masses despite not spending a penny of his own money, and the reality is much less than you might think.

I expect to see a lot of these vouchers on eBay right quick.

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Not only that, read the fine print:

I'd fly out of Uzbekistan National Airport if I got to fly free.

:)

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 10:09 AM
And, you can only take non-stop flights from Love, meaning this offer is limited to:

Austin
San Antonio
St. Louis
Kansas City

So it's typical Cuban. A lot of hype, he ends up getting credit from the masses, and the reality is much more limited than most people end up thinking.

I expect to see a lot of these vouchers on eBay right quick.

I want my horse back, man!!! I do not like the way you keep looking in his mouth all the time.

:flipoff

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
You want to give Cubes a blow job for something that cost him nothing, be my guest. The estimate that only 1/4 of them will be used speaks volumes.

v2000
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Every fan at Dallas' last game last night got a free American Airlines flight voucher to anywhere in the US, in fan appreciation night. This is much better than free Whataburgers that the Spurs give out:)

That is way too cool. BTW, that is over 19,000 tickets, which could cost Cuban almost 4 million bucks.

yea, I was pissed when I found that out, because I was supposed to go to that game, but something came up, and I couldnt go. I had free box seats too! lol

Jimcs50
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
You want to give Cubes a blow job for something that cost him nothing, be my guest.

You are a bitter bitter man.
:rolleyes

pache100
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
You want to give Cubes a blow job for something that cost him nothing, be my guest. The estimate that only 1/4 of them will be used speaks volumes.

:tu

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
No, I'm just not a fan of Cuban, in case the userID was too subtle for you :lol

If you lived in Dallas and saw the hero worship up here, you might understand.

pache100
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
This is similar to the time Shaq was criticized for giving to charity.

Not even close. Unless you are saying that Dallas Mavericks fans are charity cases. :lol

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 10:28 AM
And you know what - it was free. The guy did a good marketing promotion with AA. Ok, he didn't pay for them. I don't see any other teams giving away airplane tickets.

That's the point. THE TEAM DIDN'T GIVE AWAY SQUAT! Do you think that if AA called ANY OTHER TEAM and said "we want to give away free tickets, will you let us" that they would be turned down? But people keep giving Cuban/Mavs credit. Give AA credit! The thread title is Cuban gives every fan a free AA flight voucher.

I'm not criticizing American Airlines. What if someone gave Pat Riley (or the Heat's owner) credit for what Shaq did? Would you have an issue if I called Pat Riley on it?

I don't know about you, but I would accept a free limited plane ticket for attending a game I was going to anyway.

Who wouldn't? But pointing out that the reality of the offer was different from the perceived "Mark is letting anyone fly anywhere" is a whole different issue.

The free ticket thing is incredibly cool ... and since I obviously have issues with MC, I'll just shut up now.

Carie
04-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Austin
San Antonio
St. Louis
Kansas City

Shit, that means more annoying fans here for the 2nd round.

boutons_
04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
American and Southwest are battling over Love Field and the Wright Amendment.

http://www.setlovefree.com/whatiswright.html

frequency
04-20-2006, 10:43 AM
they see me rollinnnnnnnn
they hatinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Rummpd
04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Great gesture now they can all fly to watch a bass fishing tournament with the Mavs in attendance while the Spurs play in the WCF and the Finals.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
The headline should actually read:

ShoogarBear and Cuban Give Away Free AA Flight Vouchers

I contributed just as much as Mark.

Where's my lawyer? :madrun

SenorSpur
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
maybe Holt Cat should counter and strike a sponsorship agreement with Southwest Airliines as opposed to AT&T.

pache100
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
maybe Holt Cat should counter and strike a sponsorship agreement with Southwest Airliines as opposed to AT&T.

Southwest is not in financial trouble like American Airlines is...one of the reasons for that is because they are smart and don't try stupid gimmicks like this...nah, they'd never do it, and they don't need it.

Marklar MM
04-20-2006, 11:52 AM
The Pistons players stripped and gave away their game worn autograph jerseys after the game the other day. The female fans were in awe.

J.T.
04-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey all those Mavs fans can just use their vouchers to fly to SA and watch the Spurs win the Finals after we handle their team and send 'em packing. Now that idea of opening the Dome for playoff viewing parties ain't such bad idea.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Some of you are fucking haters to the max, damn. How can anyone hate on a free airline ticket?

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Nobody's hating on a free airline ticket. I just want people to give me my props for providing them.

pache100
04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
The Pistons players stripped and gave away their game worn autograph jerseys after the game the other day. The female fans were in awe.

Now, THAT is fan appreciation to the max! :clap :wow :spless:

Fabbs
04-20-2006, 01:42 PM
And you know what - it was free. The guy did a good marketing promotion with AA. Ok, he didn't pay for them. I don't see any other teams giving away airplane tickets.

I don't know about you, but I would accept a free limited plane ticket for attending a game I was going to anyway.

Was it free to Cuban? Does CubanMustGo ever substanciate that?
Concur with you kris. Too much hatin. I dont see the LA Flamers or any other megabucks team giving away airline tickets. To prop Cuban on this does not equate to hero worship.

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I think the Dallas Morning News (which I cited, go read the article if you think I pulled it out of my ass) is a much more credible source than anyone else here.

There's also this from American's web site (https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jh tml&repositoryId=14801297&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent):

https://www.aa.com/content/images/promos/AA_theMavs_l.gif

American Airlines made history this week by giving away more than 20,000 free* airline ticket vouchers, to the fans attending the Dallas Maverick’s Fan Appreciation Night at the American Airlines Center! It’s all part of a celebration of the Mavs great season and our new service from Dallas Love Field.

If you were one of the lucky Dallas Mavs fans who received a special handout when you left the AA Center, Wednesday, April 19, 2006, you can take advantage of this unique offer and enjoy a free* trip on our new service from Dallas Love Field to Austin, San Antonio, Kansas City or St. Louis.

5 daily nonstops to Austin on American Eagle
3 daily nonstops to Kansas City on American
4 daily nonstops to San Antonio on American Eagle
4 daily nonstops to St. Louis on American

To get your free* ticket, use the Discount Code on your handout and book your trip on AA.com. The special discount code can be used only once for one person. Your free* ticket must be booked by April 30, 2006, but you can travel through November 12, 2006!

See below for complete details.

To redeem the Discount Code on your special offer handout, follow these steps:

1. Go to www.aa.com and enter your itinerary
2. Click the "More Options" button under the 'Make Reservation' section
3. Enter your AA.com Discount Code at the bottom of the next page click "Go"

If you have questions about how to use your AA.com Discount Code or this very special offer, visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

*Passenger is responsible for government imposed taxes and fees. See Terms & Conditions below for details.

Terms & Conditions

- Your AA.com Discount Code cannot be reissued or replaced.

- Taxes and fees: Passenger is responsible for government imposed taxes and fees, including the September 11th security fee ($5 roundtrip), the Federal excise tax segment fee ($6.60 roundtrip) and local airport charges (up to $4.50 roundtrip).

- Validity: When used according to its terms, this AA.com Discount Code entitles the user to a one-time 100% discount from the applicable published Coach fare for nonstop Coach Class travel on American or American Eagle® between Dallas Love Field and Austin, San Antonio, St. Louis or Kansas City only. Travel must be booked and purchased on AA.com. The discount applies to new reservations for one way or round-trip travel on select American Airlines published fares. This discount will also not apply to surcharges. This offer cannot be combined with any other special offer or discount. Only one AA.com Discount Code related to this offer may be used per reservation and is valid for only one person. It is valid for use on AA.com only and cannot be redeemed by calling American Airlines reservations or at American Airlines ticketing locations. The Discount Code cannot be applied to previous reservations placed on hold or purchased tickets. This AA.com Discount Code is transferable but may not be bartered or sold. This offer is not valid for travel by unaccompanied minors.

- Tickets: Tickets must be purchased at time of reservation using a credit card with billing address in the U.S. Western Union cash option does not apply. Travel is permitted on or after April 26, 2006 and must be completed on/before November 12, 2006.

- Restrictions: Tickets must be booked in "O" inventory and purchased at least seven days in advance. Fare and seats are limited and may not be available on all flights. Travel is valid through November 12, 2006 on American and American Eagle operated flights. Schedules are subject to change without notice.

- Cancellations and Changes: No changes will be permitted following ticketing. Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Service from Dallas Love Field to and from Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX is operated by American Eagle. American Eagle is operated by American Eagle, Inc., which is wholly owned by AMR Eagle Holding Corporation, itself wholly owned by AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines, Inc.

Round-trip travel is defined as travel from your city TO the destination, and FROM the same destination to the city where you originated travel with no deviations.

Props to AA. Period.

Carie
04-20-2006, 02:21 PM
The Pistons players stripped and gave away their game worn autograph jerseys after the game the other day. The female fans were in awe. That is awesome!

ShoogarBear
04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Props to AA. Period.

And me. You're welcome.

Spurminator
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Props to AA. Period.

P.S. Please vote to keep the Wright Amendment.

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
P.S. Please vote to keep the Wright Amendment.

:lmao

T-Pain
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
The Spurs don't need to buy my support and fanship. I like my little "Build-a-Bear" that I got at the last regular season home game just fine.

Mark Cuban still sucks (what a pretentious show-off). And I think it's hilarious that he has to go to such lengths to ensure loyalty from Mavs fans. Fickle bunch, apparently (excluding some present company, of course).
the spurs dont have to buy my support, but cubans move really shows alot that he really cares about his fans and is willing to treat his fans with free plane tickets. Im sure Peter Holt cares about us too, but Cuban's show of support for his fans really says alot. i actually have more respect for that gesture. hes the shit.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2006, 03:08 PM
So it's typical Cuban. A lot of hype, he ends up getting credit from the masses despite not spending a penny of his own money, and the reality is much less than you might think.

I hate this kind of post. People should just say props to the guy even if he gave out something worth $10 to the fans. (It doesn't matter who paid for it)

What did you see fans in other arenas get on Fan Appreciation Night??

That's what I thought.

Spurminator
04-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, politics and marketing aside, it's no coincidence that this happened with a Cuban-owned team. You have to give him credit.

kris
04-20-2006, 03:11 PM
"What did you see fans in other arenas get on Fan Appreciation Night??

That's what I thought."

Yeah

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for making my point.

If the Love/D/FW SW/AA situation is in any other city in the country, those fans, not Dallas fans, get it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Why do people want to give Puban credit for this? It was all American Airlines, who has their name on the front of the gym the Mavs play in.

I flew three flights out of there last week. Because of their fare war with Southwest it cost me a total of $200 and I got 33,000 frequent flyer miles out of it :hat

T Park
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Props to whoever did it.

Great deal for the people in the upperdeck most of all.

Would Peter Holt get credit, if AT&T gave away 100dollar prepaid phone cards??

or would it all be AT&T??

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
the spurs dont have to buy my support, but cubans move really shows alot that he really cares about his fans and is willing to treat his fans with free plane tickets. Im sure Peter Holt cares about us too, but Cuban's show of support for his fans really says alot. i actually have more respect for that gesture. hes the shit.

TPain, you're a dumbass. Cuban had about as much to do with this promotion as you or me.

jcrod
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks and the bolded was my next point. Cuban did have a hand in this whether the haters want to give it to him or not. I thought he originally paid for the tickets, ok I see he didn't. Still, how come nobody else has had such a blockbuster offer?

And 1 to the haters: It's not like Cuban hasn't done other creative stuff for the fans before.

I think people are just annoyed Cuban is getting the credit, when he had nothing to do with it. The only reason the MAVS got this deal is because AA name is written all over their arena. Free advertising for them.

BTW, respond to my last PM or VM. :)

Sasha
04-20-2006, 07:17 PM

My sentiments exactly - but you said it better!

Spurminator
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I think people are just annoyed Cuban is getting the credit

Why?

ponky
04-20-2006, 07:58 PM

See, this is a a cool fan who's not all up in arms about nothing, cause really, some people find anything to bitch about. The Mavs don't have to buy my support either and truth be told, I'm not a huge Cuban fan, I wish he would just be a bit more in the background sometimes BUT, this was a nice move and people making fun and hating on him and AA for the gesture are fucking losers. So even IF dumbasses are pissed because Cuban gets some credit, Cuban is going to have $2 tix for games next season and when I purchased my season tix there were about ten games where they did a price drop so the whole package is going to cost less. This IS Cuban's doing, something he doesn't have to do because people are just as willing to buy a $10 ticket as they are a $2 ticket.

Vinnie_Johnson
04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Nice, Mark. Should help to take the sting out of this:

http://www.emmitt22.com/gifs/empty-case.jpg

My that sure is a big case they have there. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
04-20-2006, 09:51 PM

:rolleyes :rolleyes tax write-off :rolleyes :rolleyes

ponky
04-20-2006, 10:53 PM
:rolleyes :rolleyes tax write-off :rolleyes :rolleyes

it's a tax write-off because....?

scott
04-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Damn, T Park is a season ticket holder and can't even get a damn bobblehead and everyone in Dallas, even classless non-season ticket holders, get free airline tickets?

What a cheap ass Holt is. At least get T Park a Vicki Carr bobblehead.

efrem1
04-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I'd fly out of Uzbekistan National Airport if I got to fly free.

They have some videos of that airport. Just go to www.justplanes.com :spin

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Holy shit, thank you American Airlines!!!!!!!!!!!

Escalating a promotional war for travelers at Dallas Love Field, Southwest Airlines on Thursday said it will provide free drinks on all of its North Texas flights between Friday and Memorial Day.

The offer comes in response to Fort Worth-based American Airlines, which gave out free round-trip tickets to all 20,350 Dallas Mavericks fans at Wednesday’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers.

American said it doled out the tickets -- good for any of the four cities it flies to from Love Field -- as a way to generate publicity and increase demand for its flights.

But Southwest is not in the same position, said Gary Kelly, chief executive of Southwest Airlines, who announced the free drink offer on a morning conference call with reporters after the company discussed its quarterly earnings.

He said American, which operates out of three gates, has not taken any business away from the low-cost carrier, which flies out of 14 gates.

Free booze!!!!!!!! :hat

ShoogarBear
04-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Holy shit, thank you American Airlines!!!!!!!!!!!

No according to the prevailing logic, that should be "Thank you Mark Cuban".

Anything good that happens in North Texas must be attributed to him.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-23-2006, 02:08 PM
it's a tax write-off because....?
when you start to sprout your short and curlies, you'll understand.