PDA

View Full Version : Open the Alamo Dome for the playoff

cujo112461
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Open the Alamo dome for the playoff so the spurs could play there. You would be able to seat double the compacity of the a&tt center .

Trainwreck2100
04-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Open the Alamo dome for the playoff so the spurs could play there. You would be able to seat double the compacity of the a&tt center .

the millionaires w/ their lux. boxes would not like that

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
ok, let me make a few calls.

pache100
No thanks. I HATED basketball in the Alamodome. The AT&T center is infinitely better even if it has fewer seats.

Save the Alamodome for the victory celebration.

the millionaires w/ their lux. boxes would not like that

The team wasn't real fond of it, either. I'm much more concerned about their happiness during the playoffs than the "millionaires".

Trainwreck2100
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
No thanks. I HATED basketball in the Alamodome. The AT&T center is infinitely better even if it has fewer seats.

Save the Alamodome for the victory celebration.

You never sat with la raza in the $5 seats

ducks
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
maybe they can setup a big screen in there for the home and away games
charge $5 for parking and serve drinks and food
seems it would make $$$$$$$$$$$

pache100
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM

I sat in the $5 seats.

CubanMustGo
04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Me too. $5 seats beat no seats.

Changing to the 'dome, however, would effectively make the Spurs a visitor for their home games. All the players said it was much more difficult to shoot in that cavernous space.

SpursWoman
04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
ok, let me make a few calls.

:lol

Vashner
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
It would be the dumbest idea you can come up with. Why? Because they would not be used to it and we could loose.

Then about oh.. 1 million people would want to hunt down and kill Cujo...

pache100
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM

I have always wondered why they didn't do that for away games during the playoffs; not enough parking at the dome, though, and I doubt the downtown parking lots would be willing to donate - they'd have to run the buses. It would be a great atmosphere to watch the games, though.

Old School Chic
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
The idea of having the Spurs play at the Dome has been brought up many times...
But, It will never happen. Actually, the fans that we were complaining about the other day (the ones with no interest in cheering) you know the ones in the first 5-10 rows from the court...WOULD NOT ALLOW IT

T Park
04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Actually, the fans that we were complaining about the other day (the ones with no interest in cheering) you know the ones in the first 5-10 rows from the court...

Im in the first 5-10 rows, I cheer, and no way in HELL< would I want to go back to that leaking dump that is the dome.

Lots of people wont go to the game, sorry, but thats reality, people need to get over it.

the 40 thousand people a game werent that great either, the dome was a miserable place to watch a basetball game.

Opening it up and putting big screens all around and watching playoff games there?

NOW THAT would be a GTG :lol

FromWayDowntown
04-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Enough with this nonsense. It will never happen, mostly because it makes no economic sense for the Spurs to do it. On top of that, as has been noted, it makes no basketball sense for the Spurs to do it, either.

I have season tickets and playoff tickets for AT&T Center, and I can tell you that I'd be PISSED if the Spurs tried to move playoff games to the Alamodome. There's no way that I can get a seat at the Dome that would be comparable to what I have at AT&T Center; same is true for most season ticket holders.

I can appreciate that people want to go to the games, that not everyone can afford season tickets, and that the difference in seating capacity stresses those competing interests. But what San Antonio now has is exactly what the rest of the NBA has. And the Spurs had to do that to remain economically viable in San Antonio.

If you think the Spurs should still be playing at the Alamodome, you must also believe that the Spurs should be playing in St. Louis or Oklahoma City or New Orleans or some place like that. If there was no AT&T Center in San Antonio, there would be no Spurs in San Antonio.

T Park
04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
very well said FWD.

LilMissSPURfect
04-20-2006, 11:52 AM

I was there ....i remember parking costing more than the tickets...

Extra Stout
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Since the Dome usually just sits there, why not? They used it for the last two title parties. The logistics can't be any harder than scheduling the playoff games at the ATT anyway. Charge a few bucks for admission, let the Southsiders feel the arena experience, make everybody happy.

George W Bush
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
It would be the dumbest idea you can come up with. Why? Because they would not be used to it and we could loose.

Then about oh.. 1 million people would want to hunt down and kill Cujo...

Looky here Vashie, once and for all. :madrun

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38278

MannyIsGod
04-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Since the Dome usually just sits there, why not? They used it for the last two title parties. The logistics can't be any harder than scheduling the playoff games at the ATT anyway. Charge a few bucks for admission, let the Southsiders feel the arena experience, make everybody happy.Probably because it would cost more money than it would make. Doesn't seem very viable to make money.

baseline bum
04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
The Dome sucks, and is the worst arena I've ever watched a game in, at any level.

Melmart1
04-20-2006, 02:11 PM
The Dome sucks, and is the worst arena I've ever watched a game in, at any level.

:tu

Even the obstructed view seats at HemisFair, which I have sat in, are better than anything in the Dome.

samikeyp
04-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Even the obstructed view seats at HemisFair, which I have sat in, are better than anything in the Dome.

amen.

Vashner
04-20-2006, 10:21 PM
lol check out the PM this noob sent me hah.

cujo112461
Lottery Pick

Position: Dominant Center
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why dont you kill your self bitch it was a idea to get more spurs fan in to watch and be at a playoff game.
Like most fan have not.

T Park
04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
lol kill yourself??

lovely........

Vashner
04-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Well I said something like if he moved them to dome people would hunt him down and kill him. So it's deserved.

Melmart1
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
And cujo has not posted since... good riddance!

Vashner
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
A serious reply to him would be. The ATT/ SBC center was engineered for a better BBall playing experiance.

The Alamodome is a FOOTBALL stadium. Hey I love the place, I want to spend 200+ million on it in my fantasy to fix it up for expansion team / whatever. Even Fuutball.

Right now the comfort of the Spurs players is critical in a playoff situation. This would disrupt the Players pace. And your NOT even looking at the operations portion of the franchise and facilities.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Play in the Dome? Why stop there? I hear Rodman's trying to get back into the league.

Vashner
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Human beings have a spatial orientation (Puts on Brooks AFB hat).

This is your senses and your surroundings. Your little bubble of reality.

You put the Spurs in the Dome and there reality of where they want to play is changed. Chemistry changes. The volume, sounds, smells, everything is different
in there.

Back when they played the whole season it made sense. There was a rythm and a comfort. But not ATT Center is that comfort. It's got better everything.

ploto
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I have been to private events at the AT&T Center for away play-offs games. I am not sure why they don't hold public ones.

exstatic
04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Pontiac Silverdome for the Pistons. WAY worse.

mike detroit
04-21-2006, 12:03 AM
based on what i've heard about attendance at spurs games, a bigger stadium in not what you're after. maybe a smaller one with better acoustics.

mike detroit
04-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Pontiac Silverdome for the Pistons. WAY worse.

it was kind of cool, as a little kid at the time, to be able to go behind the curtains and see the football field at halftime.

Melmart1
04-21-2006, 12:06 AM
based on what i've heard about attendance at spurs games, a bigger stadium in not what you're after. maybe a smaller one with better acoustics.

:rolleyes

mike detroit
04-21-2006, 12:09 AM
:rolleyes

it might be better if you rolled your eyes once you got a stadium that even held a good number of people. I could have a private birthday party in you place.

mike detroit
04-21-2006, 12:14 AM
for the record, i'm just fu*(king with you guys. I know the palace is like 2000 people bigger then all the other arenas in the league. I just felt like talking smack. apologies.

efrem1
04-21-2006, 12:27 AM
The nostalgia of the dome is nice, but economics now rule the day. Sacramento is facing a big problem with Arco and the Maloofs feigning moves to Vegas.

pache100
04-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Did you miss this?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sellout_060416.html

Limited playoff tickets to go on sale Thursday April 20
Spurs Sell Out Entire Season

With only one game left at home (FYI, that game was a sellout, too) in the Spurs regular season, the Spurs are anticipating selling out all 41 home games of the 2005-06 regular season. This is the first time since the AT&T Center opened in October 2003. It has taken a great team effort to finally accomplish this milestone; a championship team, increased season package sales and group sales and tremendous community support.

All Spurs Plan Holders (suite, full-season, half-season and 10-game) receive the right to purchase seats for all four rounds of the NBA Playoffs prior to the on sale to the general public. Even with the growth of Ticket Plan Holders, there will be 500 tickets available to the public for each Spurs home game of the 2006 NBA Playoffs.

Dates and times will always be announced in advance of each on sale. Fans can ONLY purchase tickets online at ticketmaster.com and spurs.com or Charge by Phone at (210) 225-TEAM. All ticket purchases will be limited to two (2) tickets per person, per game.

This Thursday, April 20, Spurs fans will have the opportunity to purchase game tickets to the first two home games of Round 1 (Games A & B) in the NBA Playoffs beginning at 10 a.m.

for the record, i'm just fu*(king with you guys. I know the palace is like 2000 people bigger then all the other arenas in the league. I just felt like talking smack. apologies.

Um. Okie doke. :angel

clubalien
04-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I think maybe openng the dome and having peopel watch the game on the big screen is fine

is there anything sheduled to take place

personaly I woudl rather watch the game on tv without all the fans and trafic pakring being beat up by ron artest etc happeneing

A-Train
04-21-2006, 11:52 AM
There's nothing better than basketball with a blue curtain backdrop.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-21-2006, 04:42 PM
The gigantic poster of the Iceman was pretty cool though.

Extra Stout
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Probably because it would cost more money than it would make. Doesn't seem very viable to make money.
Other teams do it all the time for away games during the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 06:52 PM
:tu

Obstructed view rules. Those were the days.

Seriously, if a team works all year to get home court advantage only to piss it away in the most important part of the year, they deserve to get bounced out of the playoffs.

Guru of Nothing
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
There's nothing better than basketball with a blue curtain backdrop.

Uhm, basketball with a blue curtain backdrop AND A WATER CANNON!

Obstructed_View
04-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Uhm, basketball with a blue curtain backdrop AND A WATER CANNON!
The greatest opening night show in NBA history.

Spurs rock
04-21-2006, 08:48 PM
I liked the Spurs games in the Alamodome better than in the SBC/at&t Center. There was more excitement there.